Athlon's Bowl Projections

3,406 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trumpanzee
YamhillBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay, granted that it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSLY EARLY for bowl predictions. Granted that Athlon's main strength is publishing pictures of cheerleaders. Here is Athlon's bowl projections. Interestingly, they have Cal, Arizona, and ASU all bowl-eligible but without bowl spots open.

https://athlonsports.com/bowl-projections-2019
GivemTheAxe
YamhillBear said:

Okay, granted that it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSLY EARLY for bowl predictions. Granted that Athlon's main strength is publishing pictures of cheerleaders. Here is Athlon's bowl projections. Interestingly, they have Cal, Arizona, and ASU all bowl-eligible but without bowl spots open.

https://athlonsports.com/bowl-projections-2019

I took s quick look st the ratings/rankings of the head coaches from worst to best.
The heading was confusing
It ranked Jake Spavitol at #138 at Texas State

But the text of the ranking was very complimentary and concluded by saying that we should expect Texas State to make a big jump in its league. To me the ranking is that of the coach's team last year not the ranking of the coach himself.
SBGold
If offered, would we turn down the Cheez-It Bowl?
heartofthebear
SBGold said:

Bears will eat anything
GivemTheAxe
SBGold said:

If Cal wins 7 games this year it will be an accomplishment in view of this year's schedule
Eastern Oregon Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

SBGold said:

If Cal wins 7 games this year it will be an accomplishment in view of this year's schedule

I think Cal only needs to win 6 games to be bowl eligible.
Trumpanzee
F@ ya i would turn it down. Can't even look at a Cheezit without wanting to gouge my eyes out and vomit........
southseasbear
CalPaTroll said:

F@ ya i would turn it down. Can't even look at a Cheezit without wanting to gouge my eyes out and vomit........
Redemption! And the opportunity to enjoy eating Cheez-Its again.
TheSouseFamily
GivemTheAxe said:

SBGold said:

Bettors apparently agree. The win total over/under (at least at this site) has been to bet down to 5.5 from 6 a couple of weeks ago.

Fyght4Cal
Just looked at USC's schedule. As far as I can see, they have a fair chance to open 0-6. They see they're first clear chance for a win against Colorado. Their schedule is brutal. And they miss Oregon State.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
dajo9
I'd take the over at 5.5
American Vermin
ducky23
Fyght4Cal said:

Just looked at USC's schedule. As far as I can see, they have a fair chance to open 0-6. They see they're first clear chance for a win against Colorado. Their schedule is brutal. And they miss Oregon State.

If usc goes 0-6 that would actually be bad news for the rest of the conference as Helton would assuredly get fired. (He May get fired at 0-3).

We need usc to finish with a solid 7-8 wins every year and keep Helton there as long as possible.
Oski87
I think it is interesting that Cal gets no respect. We return most of an extremely good defense and add some great returning players who were injured. We could even be better on defense - top 5 in the county by some respected publications.

We have added receivers who look to be better than the guys they replaced.

We have added running backs who look to be better than the guys they replaced.

We have a returning QB who has been in the system for a bit, who by all account is better than he was - plus backups who are actually Pac 12 ready QBs. I have more faith in this QB coach.

Last year we beat Washington for the 2nd time in 4 years. They are loosing both most of their offense and defense. The only teams we really were not in the game for were UCLA (never got that one) and Oregon. Ole Miss will be a tough game, but people are writing that off as a loss, when we already beat them at home. Cal has played better on the road than at home under Wilcox. Of course anyone could beat us but we will have an intimidating defense. That is a big deal. Best in the Pac 12 I would guess - and the recruits are seeing that.

There is no one on the schedule that I do not feel we cant beat and that I would be surprised if we did. That was not the case three years ago. We could be 6-6 but it feels like an 8-4 season and I would not be surprised to see us win it all, frankly. I know I am glossing over the offensive woes but Garbers is actually very athletic and fast, and if he can keep it together and be efficient we will be pretty darn good. if we have the train-wreck of an offensive season that we had last year - I agree with 6-6. I just do not think that will be the case again.
GMP
Oski87 said:

I think it is interesting that Cal gets no respect. We return most of an extremely good defense and add some great returning players who were injured. We could even be better on defense - top 5 in the county by some respected publications.

We have a returning QB who has been in the system for a bit, who by all account is better than he was - plus backups who are actually Pac 12 ready QBs. I have more faith in this QB coach.

Last year we beat Washington for the 2nd time in 4 years. They are loosing both most of their offense and defense. The only teams we really were not in the game for were UCLA (never got that one) and Oregon. Ole Miss will be a tough game, but people are writing that off as a loss, when we already beat them at home. Cal has played better on the road than at home under Wilcox. Of course anyone could beat us but we will have an intimidating defense. That is a big deal. Best in the Pac 12 I would guess - and the recruits are seeing that.

There is no one on the schedule that I do not feel we cant beat and that I would be surprised if we did. That was not the case three years ago. We could be 6-6 but it feels like an 8-4 season and I would not be surprised to see us win it all, frankly. I know I am glossing over the offensive woes but Garbers is actually very athletic and fast, and if he can keep it together and be efficient we will be pretty darn good. if we have the train-wreck of an offensive season that we had last year - I agree with 6-6. I just do not think that will be the case again.

This is about where I'm at.
Fyght4Cal
ducky23 said:

Fyght4Cal said:

If usc goes 0-6 that would actually be bad news for the rest of the conference as Helton would assuredly get fired. (He May get fired at 0-3).

We need usc to finish with a solid 7-8 wins every year and keep Helton there as long as possible.
I'm with you ducky. We need Helton to last as long as possible.

I think 7-8 wins are insufficient at SC. Especially if (when) he loses games against the California school. But Helton winning 9 games (and more than 1 in-state game) this year would surprise me.

I expect Helton to be gone in a year. Which really doesn't matter. We still have to beat the teams coached by the likes of Petersen, Leach, Shaw, Kelly, and Whittingham; not to mention Edwards, Sumlin and Cristobal. Adding an Urban Meyer at SC is just par for the course. Cal winning the PAC-12 means fighting uphill.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Trumpanzee
Oski87 said:

I'm always optimistic in the beginning of the season when we beat Marshmallow State and go 4-0 and then the wheels fall off. This year will be very interesting facing a decent FCS opponent and then the Dawgs in week 2. Hopefully I'm not disappointed earlier this season......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.