Daily Cal Analyzes Cheez-It Bowl

4,031 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by heartofthebear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know, I know. But I am tired of reading discussions of a purple haired person swearing at an orange haired person.

Probably the most detailed analysis of a football game I've ever seen from the Daily Cal. That they chose to a disaster of a game to do this for should surprise no one.

Without further ado, here's Part 1.

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/03/baseball-in-december-looking-back-at-cal-footballs-cheez-it-bowl-struggle-with-tcu-part-1/
Sebastabear
and here's part 2.

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/03/baseball-in-december-looking-back-at-cal-footballs-cheez-it-bowl-struggle-with-tcu-part-2/
wifeisafurd
How cal of them to pick a heartbreaking loss. I guess analyzing the shocking upset of Udub is asking too much.
NYCGOBEARS
I'm not reading that. That's like asking me to relive the tragic death of my childhood dog... <weeping uncontrollably>.
LACalFan
No thanks
Sebastabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

I'm not reading that. That's like asking me to relive the tragic death of my childhood dog... <weeping uncontrollably>.
It's actually pretty good. If you don't laugh you'll cry.
NYCGOBEARS
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

If I want that, I'll watch Steel Magnolias.
Cal8285
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

"If you don't laugh you'll cry."

How does that differ from the experience of watching the game itself? I've sworn off eating Cheez-Its for life, the sight of a box or a bag makes me feel ill. I have no intention of re-watching the game. When I watched the game live, I mostly laughed, because I didn't want to cry in front of my mother-in-law. If the article accurately captures the "if you don't laugh you'll cry" experience of the game, why would I want to read it?
Big C
Big C analyzes the Cheeze-Its Bowl: Our offense sucked.
Sebastabear
Back to purple haired person vs. orange haired person for you all.
GivemTheAxe
NYCGOBEARS said:

Agree. I saw it live on TV. It hurt.
Why would I want to re-live it.
I prefer to re-watch the USC and UW wins.
TheSouseFamily
Fortunately for me, when I think of the Cheez-It Bowl, I think less about our offense and more about how much I enjoy Cheez-Its, especially the Extra Toasty version.
hanky1
Have I ever told you guys how much I like Cheez-Its?
heartofthebear
hanky1 said:

I don't believe you have.
At least not lately.
I don't know about you but I like spreading out a daily Cal on the ground under me so I don't make a mess when foraging on a box of cheez-its. Then I just fold up the daily Cal and put it in the trash along with the crumbs.

So how much do you like cheez-its anyway? I'd really like to know (in other words, it's the off-season).

I'm comforted by the fact that, in about 5 weeks, we won't care about cheez-its, TCU or last season. And we only care about the game day version of the Daily Cal during home games.
LACalFan

GBear4Life
Cheeze itz has more diverse flavor choices, but Goldfish makes the better cheese cracker.
KoreAmBear
GBear4Life said:

Cheeze itz has more diverse flavor choices, but Goldfish makes the better cheese cracker.
Cheese Nips are so much better.

Sebastabear
KoreAmBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cheese Nips are so much better.

I object to "cheese" being correctly spelled.
GBear4Life
cheese nips are trash. That's why you frequently see them for a $1
KenBurnski
"Cheese Nips has real cheddar cheese. ORIGINAL Cheese Its doesn't"

Harsh. But does this mean that some Cheeze It varietals DO contain real cheddar?!
Bear19
I'm on the final box of original Cheez-Its that I purchased for the game, which no one touched. The stale Cheez-Its are now a late night snack while watching movies such as "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers."
TheSouseFamily
I've had abut 15-20 boxes of Cheez-Its since the bowl game. Not a chance in hell i'm gonna let an unfortunate sporting event disrupt my enjoyment of a tasty cheese snack.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

I've had abut 15-20 boxes of Cheez-Its since the bowl game. Not a chance in hell i'm gonna let an unfortunate sporting event disrupt my enjoyment of a tasty cheese snack.

Sounds like you love Cheez-Its like I love Funyuns.
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

"Cheese Nips has real cheddar cheese. ORIGINAL Cheese Its doesn't"

Harsh. But does this mean that some Cheeze It varietals DO contain real cheddar?!

I'm impressed with the depth of your worldly knowledge!
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Funyuns are solid, no doubt. What's your take on the Flaming Hot Funyun? I would imagine this is a controversial line extension among Funyun purists and the greater Funyun enthusiast community.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Funyuns are solid, no doubt. What's your take on the Flaming Hot Funyun? I would imagine this is a controversial line extension among Funyun purists and the greater Funyun enthusiast community.

I love em.
GivemTheAxe
Bear19 said:

I'm on the final box of original Cheez-Its that I purchased for the game, which no one touched. The stale Cheez-Its are now a late night snack while watching movies such as "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers."

I share your taste in Retro Sci-Fi. The above being one of my favorites since the day that first I watched it as a kid at a Saturday Matinee at my local small-town movie theater.
All the that GeeWhiz science fiction (great special effects from the Master Ray Harryhausen) made it among the best along with It Came from Beneath the Sea and 20,000,000 Million to Earth and (my personal favorites) the Day the Earth Stood Still and War of the Worlds (not the remakes).
Those movies gave me a love of SciFi and a hope for the future of mankind.

Sorry but I can't share your love for CheeseIts. I OD'd on Cheese It's one weekend years ago and lost my taste for that snack.
KoreAmBear
GBear4Life said:

cheese nips are trash. That's why you frequently see them for a $1
But it's cheesier.
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I love em.
Speaking of Flamin Hot snacks, meet the janitor who invented it:

https://thehustle.co/hot-cheetos-inventor/
KenBurnski
You can't hurt me you aren't even Premium.
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I love em.

That was a great read and inspirational! Thanks for sharing KAB.
Sebastabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I love em.

Yeah, I have to admit that was way better than the Cheez-It articles. Wonderful story and so happy Montanez got (and gets) the credit he deserves. How many CEO's would have refused to pick up that call? Or stolen the idea for himself (or let someone else steal it)? The Cheez-It is dead. Long live Frito-Lay.
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS said:

KoreAmBear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I love em.

Yah so awesome. And my kids love Flamin Hot Cheetos. Regular Cheetos are for losers.
TheSouseFamily
Awesome story. That's the kind of story they could make a movie out of. Thanks for sharing that, KAB. I have new appreciation for flaming hot-dusted snacks.
hanky1
heartofthebear said:

hanky1 said:

I don't believe you have.
At least not lately.
I don't know about you but I like spreading out a daily Cal on the ground under me so I don't make a mess when foraging on a box of cheez-its. Then I just fold up the daily Cal and put it in the trash along with the crumbs.

So how much do you like cheez-its anyway? I'd really like to know (in other words, it's the off-season).

I'm comforted by the fact that, in about 5 weeks, we won't care about cheez-its, TCU or last season. And we only care about the game day version of the Daily Cal during home games.

I really like Cheeze-Its. Especially the cheddar one with a thick layer of gooey cheese on the surface that rubs off on your fingers when you eat it. Here's how I eat them:

I grab a handful w my right hand (I'm right handed and cannot do the deed with my left hand) and stuff them into my mouth. My fingers get sticky with cheese and then I have to suck and lick really hard to get it into my mouth. There's usually a little cheese left over and then I usually rub my fingers really hard and fast together to get that deliciousness into my mouth.

I also like to eat Cheese-Its with my salad. I'll just toss my salad with a handful of Cheese-Its. People think it's disgusting, but have you ever tried it? Taste fantastic!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.