And time for the too early conference rankings

3,701 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One surprise, the Pac 12 actually complemented for its depth and is not the worst rated Power 5.

Ranking every FBS conference entering the 2019 season https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-conference-rankings-2019-SEC-Big-Ten-Big-12-ACC-Pac-12-133564069/ via @247sports
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

One surprise, the Pac 12 actually complemented for its depth and is not the worst rated Power 5.

Ranking every FBS conference entering the 2019 season https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-conference-rankings-2019-SEC-Big-Ten-Big-12-ACC-Pac-12-133564069/ via @247sports
P12 - lots of decent teams, no super teams.
ACC - one incredibly super team, a few decent teams and lots of dreck.

Overall, yes, the P12 is the better of those two. However, they have a loooong way to go to catch up to the top three....
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

P12 - lots of decent teams, no super teams.
ACC - one incredibly super team, a few decent teams and lots of dreck.

Overall, yes, the P12 is the better of those two. However, they have a loooong way to go to catch up to the top three....
No argument from me. Udub has the potential, but is very inexperienced. Oregon is recruiting well with some fine individual talent (like at QB) could put it together at some point, but probably not this year. Questions on the coaching side certainly. Utah may end up with a very good record, but is not great on the o-side because Whitt can't keep o-coaches. Furd is may be better than some expect, but is thin in a lot of areas, and will have to demonstrate it can be a throw first team. And that probably is the too 4 teams. All have major vulnerabilities you don't see in the top SEC, Big 12 or Big 10 teams. And when you look at the top Pac 12 teams they can be beaten on any given day by WSU, Cal, and others. That doesn't happen except on rare occasions in the top 3 conferences.
TheSouseFamily
Speaking of conference rankings, c'mon Oregon. Are you even trying?

wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

Thanks for posting. Some surprises for me. Like SC being number 3 (has to be all the business school majors). But I would have assumed both Utah (in a state that consistently has the fastest growing economy) and Oregon were much higher. I wasn't surprised by Furd and Cal having such high salary numbers, particularly since both schools are turning into STEM factories.

petalumabear
wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Thanks for posting. Some surprises for me. Like SC being number 3 (has to be all the business school majors). But I would have assumed both Utah (in a state that consistently has the fastest growing economy) and Oregon were much higher. I wasn't surprised by Furd and Cal having such high salary numbers, particularly since both schools are turning into STEM factories.

yeah that's an average. my son is an Oregon grad and is much, much higher than that number. So, everyone should keep that in mind. Business major/finance working in the Bay Area.
calumnus
petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

yeah that's an average. my son is an Oregon grad and is much, much higher than that number. So, everyone should keep that in mind. Business major/finance working in the Bay Area.

It is the 4 California schools at the top both due to academic quality and due to the California high paying job machine they helped create especially in tech and media. Grads of other schools like your son buck their school's average by moving/returning to California rather than remaining in Oregon.

The flip side is California's booming economy and high salaries have driven up the cost of housing making it tough for those who do not earn those salaries.

petalumabear
calumnus said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

It is the 4 California schools at the top both due to academic quality and due to the California high paying job machine they helped create especially in tech and media. Grads of other schools like your son buck their school's average by moving/returning to California rather than remaining in Oregon.

The flip side is California's booming economy and high salaries have driven up the cost of housing making it tough for those who do not earn those salaries.

Yes, I realize all of that as well.
CampBlueRevue
TheSouseFamily said:

Maybe we edge ahead of Stanford on this early career earnings list when Collin Morikawa's $1-2,000,000 in prize money and endorsements earned during the first five weeks of his pro career is counted.
OdontoBear66
TheSouseFamily said:

So Souse, what does that really mean?? "Highest early pay"??? Do those numbers reflect average pay garnered by grads from these schools? I can't imagine it is the highest.....Have a recent GDD from G'town that beats everything but 'furd sadly. But this really must be the mean or the average.
TheSouseFamily
Odonto - Fair question. And a couple of thoughts:

I originally posted it just because I saw it on a sports site and enjoy berating our lesser conference rivals.

But on a more serious note, we often get pinned, for both better and for worse, on our "academics". I honestly don't know what our message has been to recruits in recent years but i think selling "academics" is the wrong approach. That's selling the "cost" and not the "benefit". I've been happy to see some of our recent recruits talking less about the academics and more about the opportunities afforded by a Cal education in terms of networking, etc. Thats the better message to sell the many benefits...and outgoing salaries and opportunities are a part of that. The recent donation and emergence of the Cameron Institute helps sell that message in a big way and we should double down on it. To me, that's a much better approach than marketing how difficult our academics can be. Opportunities abound that you can't get elsewhere.

And lastly, yes those numbers are all about averages. There will always be under-performers and over-performers. Congrats on having over-performers in your family.
NYCGOBEARS
OdontoBear66 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

So Souse, what does that really mean?? "Highest early pay"??? Do those numbers reflect average pay garnered by grads from these schools? I can't imagine it is the highest.....Have a recent GDD from G'town that beats everything but 'furd sadly. But this really must be the mean or the average.

Tell us more about your granddaughter. We haven't heard enough.
NYCGOBEARS
petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Glad your son is an exception. I know very successful Chico State grads too.
OdontoBear66
NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I shall cease and desist. Sorry about that NYCGOBEARS. Retired and fossilized, she and the other three. are my contact to what's going on at the college age level generations removed from mwah.
NYCGOBEARS
OdontoBear66 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I shall cease and desist. Sorry about that NYCGOBEARS. Retired and fossilized, she and the other three. are my contact to what's going on at the college age level generations removed from mwah.

Understood. You have every reason to be proud of your grand kids. Go Bears!
petalumabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

And that is really the point isn't it.? A motivated, hard working and intelligent person can succeed coming out of any school. I like Souse's comments about over reliance on academics. My own son would tell you that while he did quite well in HS the light went on in college and has continued through the beginning of his professional career. Cal's academics are well known. The fact that many Cal grads use it as a comeback in arenas such as this discussing athletics looks a bit foolish. Because there are places where sports and academics intersect but not in an arena like this... just my .02c.
71Bear
petalumabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

And that is really the point isn't it.? A motivated, hard working and intelligent person can succeed coming out of any school. I like Souse's comments about over reliance on academics. My own son would tell you that while he did quite well in HS the light went on in college and has continued through the beginning of his professional career. Cal's academics are well known. The fact that many Cal grads use it as a comeback in arenas such as this discussing athletics looks a bit foolish. Because there are places where sports and academics intersect but not in an arena like this... just my .02c.
You nailed it, Petaluma.
wifeisafurd
petalumabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

God comment, It really is about the person. At some point, no client or associate really cares where you went to college other that when discussing sports.

However when selling a brand to 17 year old recruits, and importantly, his or her parents, if you are selling Furd, Cal, Duke or similar school you haver to add in the academic factor and, candidly, the earning power factor.
petalumabear
wifeisafurd said:

petalumabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

God comment, It really is about the person. At some point, no client or associate really cares where you went to college other that when discussing sports.

However when selling a brand to 17 year old recruits, and importantly, his or her parents, if you are selling Furd, Cal, Duke or similar school you haver to add in the academic factor and, candidly, the earning power factor.
good comments wiaf... I agree and would only add that for recruits the message needs to include all facets of the experience but tailoring the emphasis in certain areas to meet the recruits personal focus. For example, a particular recruit is interested in getting to the league (they all are in some form or fashion) and is a good student as well. The educational aspects are very important but the athletic preparation, the staff and the trajectory of the program might be more important to that particular recruit.

As an example IMO the staff has been working to moderate their pitch over the past 3 years as they've gotten to know the coaches, schools and particular re recruits better. I believe that we're seeing those efforts paying off now.
wifeisafurd
petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

petalumabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

petalumabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

good comments wiaf... I agree and would only add that for recruits the message needs to include all facets of the experience but tailoring the emphasis in certain areas to meet the recruits personal focus. For example, a particular recruit is interested in getting to the league (they all are in some form or fashion) and is a good student as well. The educational aspects are very important but the athletic preparation, the staff and the trajectory of the program might be more important to that particular recruit.

As an example IMO the staff has been working to moderate their pitch over the past 3 years as they've gotten to know the coaches, schools and particular re recruits better. I believe that we're seeing those efforts paying off now.
Bingo,, we have a winner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.