STRONG update on Strong Family

9,501 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by okaydo
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Family Strong now out of Egypt. Cal Strong, Wife Strong, and Baby Strong visiting family in Southern California for 10 days until we move to Western Massachusetts, with a strong pit-stop in Michigan along the way to visit strong former colleagues.

Cal Strong want to know a few STRONG things:

- Whatever happened with that sexual harassment accusation against Cal football players and staff members? That story made Cal Strong very sad, right around same time as stress was picking up in Egypt. So Cal Strong took strong hiatus from BI to focus on family. Spent 5 strong weeks in Australia lifting weights and meditating. Cal Strong took Wife Strong to Sydney Opera House for her birthday. Saw "Thrones" (the Game of Thrones musical). Cal Strong assumed it would be weak D+ show. But Strong family was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a solid A- (B+ according to Berkeley rubric). Anyway, now that Cal Strong back in the mix and back in the USA he want to know whatever happened with all that.

- Any STRONG posters have any taco/Mexican recommendations in Pasadena?

- Why Wilcox no tell us what the happened to Bowers? Hard to be Cal fan when we don't have any information on things like that.

- Strong family's furniture delayed by 7 weeks. So we basically live on air mattress and eat off folding table for first bit in Massachusetts. Need to order many things. Any Strong posters have any experience with Ninja tabletop blender for making smoothies?

79 Bear
Glad to hear Strong family out of Egypt. Welcome back to US and good luck to Cal Strong, Mrs. Strong, Youngster Strong.

Disappointed in statement "Hard to be Cal fan when . . ." Weak statement, but will let it go for now.
ColoradoBear
Welcome back to the States. Can you please start using the English language properly again now?
bearister
ColoradoBear said:

Welcome back to the States. Can you please start using the English language properly again now?

It's called Apache as spoken by an Italian in a wig in a John Ford 1950's Western.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sonofabear51
Welcome back to USA Cal Strong! Strong move and smart move to leave Egypt all things considered. Where in SoCal are you? Sounds like you are in Pasadena. Ventura here.
Start Slowly and taper off
GrandpaBear
Majare's for tacos in Pasadena
joe amos yaks
bearister said:

ColoradoBear said:

It's called Apache as spoken by an Italian in a wig in a John Ford 1950's Western.

Sal Mineo?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
KenBurnski
La Estrella on Fair Oaks, NOT Orange Grove, for tacos.
bearister
Tonka
Bear19
ColoradoBear said:

Yes, and while you're at it, please pass the Grey Poupon. Hahaha.

Good to hear you're back Cal Strong & Strong family.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong too strong at grammar to play games. Everyone know that. Cal Strong always format his ellipses correctly . . . like this. Even his terminal ellipses. . . .

Thanks to strong posters for well wishes. Cal Strong split SoCal time between Pasadena and Laguna Beach. Then he take strong family to set up new (1-year) home in Massachusetts.

Cal Strong do strong research into Mijares. Cal Strong conclude that $6.50 for a taco WEAK!!!

Cal Strong excited to check out La Estrella.

More strong taco advice strongly appreciated. Cal Strong no have good tacos in Egypt or Australia. Now a strong time to make up for lost time.
okaydo
ColoradoBear said:

I miss it when Cal Strong! would wrote in proper English.
calbear80
Welcome back Cal Strong.

For temporary furniture try IKEA (decent quality, good prices).

Go Bears!
CountryBearJamboree
Taco Bell
Rushinbear
Cal Strong! said:

Family Strong now out of Egypt. Cal Strong, Wife Strong, and Baby Strong visiting family in Southern California for 10 days until we move to Western Massachusetts, with a strong pit-stop in Michigan along the way to visit strong former colleagues.

- Whatever happened with that sexual harassment accusation against Cal football players and staff members? That story made Cal Strong very sad, right around same time as stress was picking up in Egypt. So Cal Strong took strong hiatus from BI to focus on family. Spent 5 strong weeks in Australia lifting weights and meditating. Cal Strong took Wife Strong to Sydney Opera House for her birthday. Saw "Thrones" (the Game of Thrones musical). Cal Strong assumed it would be weak D+ show. But Strong family was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a solid A- (B+ according to Berkeley rubric). Anyway, now that Cal Strong back in the mix and back in the USA he want to know whatever happened with all that.

- Why Wilcox no tell us what the happened to Bowers? Hard to be Cal fan when we don't have any information on things like that.

- Strong family's furniture delayed by 7 weeks. So we basically live on air mattress and eat off folding table for first bit in Massachusetts. Need to order many things. Any Strong posters have any experience with Ninja tabletop blender for making smoothies?

I was hoping that, with this passage of time, the juvenile affectation of speech might be over. Sadly, the blatant insult to Native Americans continues. Bye.
joe amos yaks
No more ful medammes or koshari; no macaroni bachemel -- WEAK.
No fattah or konafa. No sobia -- WEAK.
Local falafel -- STRONG.

OT --
Morsi -- dead. Jive-asz el-Sisi -- WEAK. No keep re-election promises.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

I really like the nutribullet for quick blending and you can use the container as a travel cup with lid and all. For bigger jobs, the vitamix is the standard
SFCityBear
Ah, tacos. Paradise was for this Bear to get stranded for almost 3 hours in Tijuana Taco (three tacos and a large coke for one dollar) on Telegraph Ave, with the doors locked and towels shoved into the open cracks to keep out the tear gas from the People's Park Riots. Got back to work at the UC lab in Richmond at 3:30 PM, and got chewed out by the boss for going to all the way to Telegraph Avenue for lunch. We missed out on the girl-watching, but all the extra tacos and cokes made up for it.
SFCityBear
bearister
SFCityBear said:

Ah, tacos. Paradise was for this Bear to get stranded for almost 3 hours in Tijuana Taco (three tacos and a large coke for one dollar) on Telegraph Ave, with the doors locked and towels shoved into the open cracks to keep out the tear gas from the People's Park Riots. Got back to work at the UC lab in Richmond at 3:30 PM, and got chewed out by the boss for going to all the way to Telegraph Avenue for lunch. We missed out on the girl-watching, but all the extra tacos and cokes made up for it.

The Battle for People's Park, Berkeley 1969: when Vietnam came home

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jul/06/the-battle-for-peoples-park-berkeley-1969-review-vietnam?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

TheSouseFamily
Pasadena native here. Sadly living on the east coast now but I make it back to Pasadena 3-4 times a year. That said. I take my Mexican food very seriously. The best in Pasadena for me is a hole in the wall called Tacos Poncitlan on Allen Ave. i salivate just from from thinking about it.
TheSouseFamily
ColoradoBear said:

Please don.
Big C
With regards to your Cal sports-related questions:

- No news on that sexual harassment case, probably because the understaffed dept. at Cal that handles these things takes their own sweet time and probably doesn't prioritize specific cases just because they might be ones we're interested in. Also possible that the person making the charges was found to lack credibility and all parties have agreed to just let the whole thing wither and die, maybe with some settlement agreement (Athletics might agree to that solution if there were some grains of truth in her allegations, even if vastly overstated.).

- I doubt Wilcox will ever comment on Ross Bowers again, especially now that it is water under the bridge. If you didn't hear, he grad-transferred to NIU. I agree that JW could have been a little more proactive with the public info on this last fall, but that was not in his comfort level. Did you feel like, as the months progressed, you were able to put the puzzle pieces together, based on bits of info that were leaked here? I did, but I thought it would've been better to have been able to get the info in a somewhat more direct, honest manner. Sure, it was a "personnel matter" and we didn't have the right to know every single detail, but I believe it would have been okay to have given us the basics, tactfully.
Cal8488
The food truck on Fair oaks is good,
La estrella also has a store front and another taco stand in Highland Park, where the stand is better than the store front. I believe they are the same people as Fairoaks.

I personally don't like Mijares.

The best Taco imho is Guisado's. The original one is in Boyle Heights, with 3-4 opening in echo park and DTLA.

Finally I like Seor Fish for Fish Tacos

enjoy and Go Bears
TheSouseFamily
Tend to agree with you on Mijares. Not bad but not special. CalStrong deserves strong Mexican and Mijares doesn't quite do it.
Bear19
Rushinbear said:

Sadly, the blatant insult to Native Americans continues. Bye.
Rushinbear, was it the picture of Sal Mineo that offended? The discussion about grammar? I don't know what you've found to be insulting.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

I really like the nutribullet for quick blending and you can use the container as a travel cup with lid and all. For bigger jobs, the vitamix is the standard

Agreed, we have both and most of the time I use the Nutribullet. i was surprised at how useful it is and much easier cleanup.
bearister
Bear19 said:

Rushinbear said:

Sadly, the blatant insult to Native Americans continues. Bye.
Rushinbear, was it the picture of Sal Mineo that offended? The discussion about grammar? I don't know what you've found to be insulting.

How can the picture of Sal Mineo offend unless the truth hurts? Native Americans back me 100% on that call. Italians? Well, their kids needed shoes too so I don't fault them for not turning down the roles.
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

Cal Strong! said:

I was hoping that, with this passage of time, the juvenile affectation of speech might be over. Sadly, the blatant insult to Native Americans continues. Bye.

I thought it was intended as "caveman" or an homage to the Incredible Hulk (movie version set in Berkeley with Bruce Banner a Cal professor?).
bearister
calumnus said:

...I thought it was intended as "caveman" or an homage to the Incredible Hulk (movie version set in Berkeley with Bruce Banner a Cal professor?).

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

https://vimeo.com/320958931
TheSouseFamily
Best SNL character of all time. RIP Phil Hartman. What a genius.
Cal Strong!
TheSouseFamily said:

Pasadena native here. Sadly living on the east coast now but I make it back to Pasadena 3-4 times a year. That said. I take my Mexican food very seriously. The best in Pasadena for me is a hole in the wall called Tacos Poncitlan on Allen Ave. i salivate just from from thinking about it.
The Souse Family posting STRONG today! Cal Strong thank TSF from bottom of his big strong Cal heart. Family strong check out Tacos Poncitlan this week!
GivemTheAxe
bearister said:

ColoradoBear said:

I always thought Cal Stong was speaking English in the Tarzan dialect not the Tonto (as in Lone Ranger & Tonto) dialect
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong not Native American. Cal Strong no imitate any Native Americans. Cal Strong just being his own strong self without any reference to voices inside Rushinbear or anyone else's head. That Rushinbear and others apperceive Native American mockery voice big testament to their own weak racist assumptions that have nothing to do with Cal Strong.

Apperceiving racism when no racism persists WEAK! Time to take hard look in the mirror. Stop being weak. Be more like Cal, less like you.

Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

Agreed, we have both and most of the time I use the Nutribullet. i was surprised at how useful it is and much easier cleanup.
Cal Strong looking for bigger blender than bullet. But since Strong family may only be in USA for 1 year, he no so sure he want to invest in Vitamix just yet.
Cal Strong!
Big C said:

With regards to your Cal sports-related questions:

- No news on that sexual harassment case, probably because the understaffed dept. at Cal that handles these things takes their own sweet time and probably doesn't prioritize specific cases just because they might be ones we're interested in. Also possible that the person making the charges was found to lack credibility and all parties have agreed to just let the whole thing wither and die, maybe with some settlement agreement (Athletics might agree to that solution if there were some grains of truth in her allegations, even if vastly overstated.).

- I doubt Wilcox will ever comment on Ross Bowers again, especially now that it is water under the bridge. If you didn't hear, he grad-transferred to NIU. I agree that JW could have been a little more proactive with the public info on this last fall, but that was not in his comfort level. Did you feel like, as the months progressed, you were able to put the puzzle pieces together, based on bits of info that were leaked here? I did, but I thought it would've been better to have been able to get the info in a somewhat more direct, honest manner. Sure, it was a "personnel matter" and we didn't have the right to know every single detail, but I believe it would have been okay to have given us the basics, tactfully.
Big C posting STRONG today. Both incidents make Cal Strong uncomfortable.

Cal Strong choose not to judge accusers nor alleged perpetrators until report and more evidence come in.

Cal Strong think Wilcox's approach to injuries/discipline issues WEAK. Definitely not strong for Cal football. Last year we all watch QB carousel of incompetence while we have a guy who does front-flip for TD over ranked team's starting defense sit on bench with no explanation. Not professional. Not strong.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.