Chasing the Moon

1,923 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
(Edit: Sorry. I thought I posted this in OT, which is why I didn't label it OT.)

This is a new American Experience 6-hour 360-view documentary of the whole moon thing.

It is fantastic (and I've seen quite a few moon/apollo documentaries). I actually shed a tear at one point.

It also includes some of the unknown stuff like the fail mary.

Here's the trailer:

Some PBS *unaffiliated* YouTube channel uploaded the first two hours, but I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen obviously.

Meanwhile, I am going to celebrate the Moon Landing now by rewatching my favorite O.J. Simpson movie.

Big C
Yes, it's really good! I was twelve when Apollo 11 landed. Different generations must have different perspectives when they watch something like this now.

Little kid: "This happened 50 years ago? That's, like, ancient! What kind of cool stuff do we do now?"

Answer: "Well, instead of building spacecraft that can go to the moon, we try and build entrances to BART that people can't climb over. That's really hard! And we try and figure out what to do with the thousands of homeless people. We also debate whether to paint over murals in public schools that portray history accurately, but that someone somewhere might find offensive. Also, we're able to devote lots of time to social media, which we couldn't do at ALL 50 years ago! Don't worry kid, one thing hasn't changed: Cal still can't get to the Rose Bowl!"
Bear19
Big C, your last line says it all.
71Bear
Big C said:

Yes, it's really good! I was twelve when Apollo 11 landed. Different generations must have different perspectives when they watch something like this now.

Little kid: "This happened 50 years ago? That's, like, ancient! What kind of cool stuff do we do now?"

Answer: "Well, instead of building spacecraft that can go to the moon, we try and build entrances to BART that people can't climb over. That's really hard! And we try and figure out what to do with the thousands of homeless people. We also debate whether to paint over murals in public schools that portray history accurately, but that someone somewhere might find offensive. Also, we're able to devote lots of time to social media, which we couldn't do at ALL 50 years ago! Don't worry kid, one thing hasn't changed: Cal still can't get to the Rose Bowl!"
I was in my first quarter at Cal (they offered a $20 discount to attend in the summer). Your answer nails the current world perfectly, especially the last sentence.
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Answer: "Well, instead of building spacecraft that can go to the moon, we try and build entrances to BART that people can't climb over. That's really hard! And we try and figure out what to do with the thousands of homeless people. We also debate whether to paint over murals in public schools that portray history accurately, but that someone somewhere might find offensive. Also, we're able to devote lots of time to social media, which we couldn't do at ALL 50 years ago! Don't worry kid, one thing hasn't changed: Cal still can't get to the Rose Bowl!
"

There were many similarities between those times and the present: there were great divisions and strife within the country on social and political causes. Riots, protests and violence. The Vietnam War and all the division that it created.
but there were vey great differences from our present day:
There was a general belief that government could accomplish great things. There were national leaders who could actually govern and lead. There was a sense of the Common Good. There was a general belief in science and that it could make life better for people. There was a belief in free public education including higher education. There was a general belief by the majority of the people of whatever political party in the Constitution (even by the protestors). The political parties had not become as polarized as they are now. There was less income disparity than there is now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.