FYI... College Ave Safeway is dry

3,462 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by phoenixfive
Bears2thDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just in case some of you usually liquor up at the College/Claremont Safeway for pre/post game refreshments..... they are on ABC lock down from now 'til October.
Better hit up TJs.
Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!
75bear
This is where we often bought alcohol in college - it was a perfect combination of large selection, minimal distance, and good pricing.
Big C
How does one store in a large chain get on "ABC lock down"? I used to work in retail... curious about the details.
Bears2thDoc
Big C said:

How does one store in a large chain get on "ABC lock down"? I used to work in retail... curious about the details.

Lol!
I don't know the particulars, but Im very confident it involved Alcohol, payment and a birthday after August 5, 1998.
Yogi011
Bears2thDoc said:

Just in case some of you usually liquor up at the College/Claremont Safeway for pre/post game refreshments..... they are on ABC lock down from now 'til October.
Better hit up TJs.
Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!
It's all right, I'll be content with the water fountains on the East Side.
okaydo
Big C said:

I remember getting carded at that store when I was in my early 30s.
https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/08/05/dont-look-for-liquor-at-safeway-on-college-its-license-has-been-suspended
Big C
okaydo said:

Big C said:

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/08/05/dont-look-for-liquor-at-safeway-on-college-its-license-has-been-suspended

I read the article... caught three times within the last year selling to minors. (I knew it had to be multiple times. There is a progression of warnings after each time.)

What I was wondering was, to what extent are other Safeway stores (all part of the same corporation) affected? They corporation must be getting fined, at the very minimum.

I have some pretty decent knowledge of how modern "cash registers" work: For a Safeway cashier to sell alcohol to ANYBODY in their line, they have to scan the customer's ID or manually put in a birth date. In the case of somebody like me who is obviously over 21 x 2, they can override it, but they have to do it proactively. It's REALLY frowned upon to not scan or look at anybody's ID unless they are WAY over 21. The cashiers get trained on this and it's serious. If there's a customer who looks to be "about 35", they should absolutely get carded, without question.

Another possibility: That store has (or used to have) some self-service check-out registers. About 3-4 years ago, it became illegal in CA to sell alcohol at those registers. One employee has to be monitoring those registers at all times. I would GUESS that they can make it so that those particular registers just flat-out do not scan alcoholic beverages.

The manager of that store almost certainly lost his or her job.
Go!Bears
Big C said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

I read the article... caught three times within the last year selling to minors. (I knew it had to be multiple times. There is a progression of warnings after each time.)

What I was wondering was, to what extent are other Safeway stores (all part of the same corporation) affected? They corporation must be getting fined, at the very minimum.

I have some pretty decent knowledge of how modern "cash registers" work: For a Safeway cashier to sell alcohol to ANYBODY in their line, they have to scan the customer's ID or manually put in a birth date. In the case of somebody like me who is obviously over 21 x 2, they can override it, but they have to do it proactively. It's REALLY frowned upon to not scan or look at anybody's ID unless they are WAY over 21. The cashiers get trained on this and it's serious. If there's a customer who looks to be "about 35", they should absolutely get carded, without question.

Another possibility: That store has (or used to have) some self-service check-out registers. About 3-4 years ago, it became illegal in CA to sell alcohol at those registers. One employee has to be monitoring those registers at all times. I would GUESS that they can make it so that those particular registers just flat-out do not scan alcoholic beverages.

Could you fool the system by finding a bottle of the same weight scanning that and slipping the booze into your bag? Does the ABC care if the alcohol is being stolen? Or just that minors are getting out the door with it? Those people monitoring the registers have several to babysit and often one that needs their intervention. I could see how they could get beaten, but then they are not "selling" to minors.
going4roses
I'm still getting carded at 46 ... "like come on dude"
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
calumnus
going4roses said:

Used to happen to me a lot before I went gray.

I went up to the checkout a couple years ago with a few things and a bottle of wine. The young woman at the checkout asked if I had an ID. Amused, I asked "Do you really think I am not 21"? She replied, "I was just checking if you are eligible for the senior discount."
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

going4roses said:

Used to happen to me a lot before I went gray.

I went up to the checkout a couple years ago with a few things and a bottle of wine. The young woman at the checkout asked if I had an ID. Amused, I asked "Do you really think I am not 21"? She replied, "I was just checking if you are eligible for the senior discount."

LOL
Folks get on my bus and say "senior" in order to get the discount fare.
I say, "senior in high school right?".
They have a lot of fun with that.
bearister
I started drinking at McNally's at 17. On my 21st birthday I showed my driver's license to cash in on the bar's free drink tradition. Bartender Tommy's response, "Why you SOB you've been drinking in here for 3 or 4 years!"

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
Go!Bears said:

Big C said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

Could you fool the system by finding a bottle of the same weight scanning that and slipping the booze into your bag? Does the ABC care if the alcohol is being stolen? Or just that minors are getting out the door with it? Those people monitoring the registers have several to babysit and often one that needs their intervention. I could see how they could get beaten, but then they are not "selling" to minors.
The retailer needs to show due diligence, but if an underage individual "steals" alcohol, it's not the store's fault. One of the responsibilities of the employee monitoring the self-service registers is to intercept anybody with alcoholic beverages, just like in the "regular" check-out line, a cashier might notice a customer with a 5th of whiskey down their pants ("Are you THAT happy to see me?"). If it ever became a huge problem, California might end up restricting alcoholic beverage sales to liquor stores, like in some states.
Bears2thDoc
Big C said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

LOL!!
You didn't read it very well.....
Caught 3 times in THREE YEARS!
okaydo
going4roses said:

Tweet tonight from San Francisco Chronicle movie critic/Cal football fan/ticket buyer Peter Hartlaub.

Tweet a few days ago from 49ers season ticket holder Peter Hartlaub.

petalumabear
bearister said:

I started drinking at McNally's at 17. On my 21st birthday I showed my driver's license to cash in on the bar's free drink tradition. Bartender Tommy's response, "Why you SOB you've been drinking in here for 3 or 4 years!"

Me, my brothers and all of our friends and acquaintances have certainly done our part keeping McNally's solidly in the black...
sp4149
Bears2thDoc said:

Big C said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

LOL!!
The article also said that ABC used 'decoys' to catch vendors in violation. Could be that the ABC decoy found a hole in their security, flagged a violation, didn't tell the store how they 'tricked' the system, did it again the next year, then third time is the charm.

DOD security inspectors knew where the vulnerabilities were and could always fail 'base security' if they wanted. Park Service police knew how to do a vehicle inspection so that the vehicle would fail on safety violations. Wouldn't surprise me if ABC 'inspectors' were playing the same game.
Big C
sp4149 said:

Bears2thDoc said:

Big C said:

okaydo said:

Big C said:

LOL!!
The article also said that ABC used 'decoys' to catch vendors in violation. Could be that the ABC decoy found a hole in their security, flagged a violation, didn't tell the store how they 'tricked' the system, did it again the next year, then third time is the charm.

DOD security inspectors knew where the vulnerabilities were and sould always fail 'base security' if they wanted. Park Service police knew how to do a vehicle inspection so that the vehicle would fail on safety violations. Wouldn't surprise me if ABC 'inspectors' were playing the same game.
In my retail experience dealing with the ABC, they would WANT the retailer to be able to correct any weaknesses they had in their point-of-sale system. The store would get a detailed report of what happened and how to prevent it in the future. They really didn't want to put retailers out of business, especially the larger corporations.

Decades ago, they would send in "decoys" who looked "about 21", but who were 19-20. In more recent times, they would send in somebody who looked "over 21", but wasn't... or... send in somebody who looked 30 (because they were), If the store didn't card them, they got a warning because they were supposed to, even though it wasn't a selling-to-minors violation,
bearister
petalumabear said:

bearister said:

Me, my brothers and all of our friends and acquaintances have certainly done our part keeping McNally's solidly in the black...

I remember many a night over 40 years ago walking out that front door at closing time, getting that sobering blast of chilly early morning air, and having to do a fair bit of concentrating before I committed to turning right or left on that sidewalk. When my brother in law's brother was at Cal, he decided before exiting at closing time that he was too drunk to drive so he decided to walk back to campus. He got a few miles down Broadway before he figured out he took a left out that door to reality instead of a right. Ah, the old days.
petalumabear
bearister said:

petalumabear said:

bearister said:

I remember many a night over 40 years ago walking out that front door at closing time, getting that sobering blast of chilly early morning air, and having to do a fair bit of concentrating before I committed to turning right or left on that sidewalk. When my brother in law's brother was at Cal, he decided before exiting at closing time that he was too drunk to drive so he decided to walk back to campus. He got a few miles down Broadway before he figured out he took a left out that door to reality instead of a right. Ah, the old days.
that does have a ring of familiarity to it Bearister.... been there as the saying goes...
We typically would head to Flint's on late Saturday nights..... seemed (and still does) like
a reasonable way to finish off a night at McNally's with a few ribs from Mr. Flintroy.....
ahhh the good old days...
bearister
....and by noon the next day that BBQ sauce was still steaming out of your pores.
Bears2thDoc
bearister said:

LOL!
Your brother- in- law's brother didn't develop MapQuest, by any chance?

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
phoenixfive
This is where I bought alcohol for the first time as a 21-year-old. Went to the check-out line exactly at midnight on my 21st birthday...kept the receipt!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.