Modster eligibility in question

12,655 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just read this - do we just gamble on people's eligibility? Even the transfer from Notre Dame on defense (Isiah something) has eligibility issues. What gives?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
TheSouseFamily
Another Bear
I'd guess there's other transfers and schools with similar issues. While the NCAA has opened up transfers (likely to blunt talk of full pay, unions, etc.,) it's still a regulatory body and a dysfunctional, conflicted, often fickle and incompetent one at that. Having things sorted would make too much sense.
Golden One
TheSouseFamily said:

It's disgusting how inefficient the NCAA is. Shouldn't take them 9 months to determine a player's eligibility.
89Bear
$c just found out that Steele is eligible and McCoy is still an unknown.
fucla just found out that uw blocked Yankoff from being eligible this year.
So, this is not just limited to the Bears. The ncaa continues to be a joke!!!
BearBones
fat_slice said:

Just read this - do we just gamble on people's eligibility? Even the transfer from Notre Dame on defense (Isiah something) has eligibility issues. What gives? ?
Can you post a link to what you read?
Marty
I don't believe this is comparable to the other intra-conference or transfers, such as Yankoff, or the inter-conference transfers at USC. Those are all at the D-1 level. Modster is simply choosing to move on from Palomar JC and enroll at Cal. UCLA shouldn't have anything to say about this, and Palomar wouldn't care, as students moving from JC to university is one of the things they want to see their students do. Without more information, it's impossible to know what may be driving this, other than simple academic eligibility, which seems to be a frequent, annual surprise, which in itself is a frustrating problem. How can you admit an athlete and be too often clueless and surprised when they suddenly appear unqualified academically? Hopefully this resolves favorably, sooner rather than later. I'm not at all comfortable with the potential backups to Garbers if Modster is ineligible.
Blueblood
Marty said:

I don't believe this is comparable to the other intra-conference or transfers, such as Yankoff, or the inter-conference transfers at USC. Those are all at the D-1 level. Modster is simply choosing to move on from Palomar JC and enroll at Cal. UCLA shouldn't have anything to say about this, and Palomar wouldn't care, as students moving from JC to university is one of the things they want to see their students do. Without more information, it's impossible to know what may be driving this, other than simple academic eligibility, which seems to be a frequent, annual surprise, which in itself is a frustrating problem. How can you admit an athlete and be too often clueless and surprised when they suddenly appear unqualified academically? Hopefully this resolves favorably, sooner rather than later. I'm not at all comfortable with the potential backups to Garbers if Modster is ineligible.

I'm with you Marty. If Modster is ruled ineligible, Wilcox had better be looking for a new OC (now think about this before knee-jerk response) and I'm sure both aUNbear89 and oski003 will demand that I update my 2019 Cal game predictions!
MoragaBear
Staff
The question is when this season he becomes eligible (likely by game one or two), not if he becomes eligible for the season.
bearister
Modster:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

The question is when this season he becomes eligible (likely by game one or two), not if he becomes eligible for the season.
That makes a lot of sense since he transferred from UCLA to Palomar AFTER last season started. IIRC, he was on the Bruin roster for a couple games. If so, he would eligible to play at Cal no later than the third game.
calumnus
Blueblood said:

I'm with you Marty. If Modster is ruled ineligible, Wilcox had better be looking for a new OC (now think about this before knee-jerk response) and I'm sure both aUNbear89 and oski003 will demand that I update my 2019 Cal game predictions!

It would probably buy Baldwin another year, since his defenders would just say he once again "had the worst talent in the country" and "had no one at QB."
bonsallbear
Newman to the rescue
movielover
What is the status on the 2 NGs?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
How many snaps did DM actually play on the field in those couple games he was in their roster?
MoragaBear
Staff
None
75bear
If Modster had transferred to Alabama or Clemson he would have been cleared months ago.
GBear4Life
Is Modster expected to start if eligible?
MoragaBear
Staff
GBear4Life said:

No, he came into fall camp as the backup
GivemTheAxe
MoragaBear said:

GBear4Life said:

I am not expecting Modster to start the first game.
BB has shown a willingness to give the backup a realistic chance to show what he can do if the starter is not playing lights out.
If Garbers is head and shoulders better than Modster, I say "great".
But if Garbers stumbles, I want Modster to be given his turn to shine.
GBear4Life
It would appear odd to me for Modster to try and salvage a college playing career by transferring to a program that wasn't having an 'open' competition for starting QB. I guess weirder things have happened.
GivemTheAxe
GBear4Life said:

It would appear odd to me for Modster to try and salvage a college playing career by transferring to a program that wasn't having an 'open' competition for starting QB. I guess weirder things have happened.

Any person who watched the Bears Offense last year would not be going too far out on a limb to conclude we had serious problems at QB.
MoragaBear
Staff
Garbers came into camp the starter because he outplayed Modster in the spring. Of Modster outplayed him in fall camp, he'd have every chance to play or start.
blungld
bearister said:

Modster:

Next level clever.
blungld
OdontoBear66
So, whatever the NCAA decision as to when Modster plays don't they at least owe our coaching staff that date ASAP? I mean one has to do some planning and granting of reps according to what may be. This has been about 4-5 days of posts with no date that I have seen.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

GBear4Life said:

As did Garbers, McIllwain and Forrest last year.
BearSD
75bear said:

If Modster had transferred to Alabama or Clemson he would have been cleared months ago.
A QB who transferred to Florida State in December was just declared immediately eligible to play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27373572/transfer-qb-travis-eligible-play-florida-st

TheSouseFamily
He claimed "emotional abuse" by Nick Petrino his old coach at Louisville who benched him. It just takes a good attorney when it comes to these appeals.
GivemTheAxe
TheSouseFamily said:

He claimed "emotional abuse" by Nick Petrino his old coach at Louisville who benched him. It just takes a good attorney when it comes to these appeals.

A good attorney or the "RIGHT SCHOOL". Wink, Wink.
Golden One
GivemTheAxe said:

TheSouseFamily said:

A good attorney or the "RIGHT SCHOOL". Wink, Wink.
Primarily the latter.
Big C
OdontoBear66 said:

So, whatever the NCAA decision as to when Modster plays don't they at least owe our coaching staff that date ASAP? I mean one has to do some planning and granting of reps according to what may be. This has been about 4-5 days of posts with no date that I have seen.
The only possibilities I can imagine are...

a) The staff knows but would prefer not to discuss it publicly. Or, more likely...

b) Maybe there is a "gray area" about determining the date when a player "leaves" their original school. For example, maybe Modster thought just not ever attending Fall classes at FUCLA would be good enough, but there might be some official "withdrawl" he needed to declare earlier.

Seems like the answer to this would be clearer, though, and quicker to ascertain.
OdontoBear66
Maybe the staff is withholding the NCAA decision, but I would guess the NCAA is sitting on this. Really unfair for a decision to not come down so staff can plan in prep for the upcoming season
SFCityBear
OdontoBear66 said:

Maybe the staff is withholding the NCAA decision, but I would guess the NCAA is sitting on this. Really unfair for a decision to not come down so staff can plan in prep for the upcoming season
Didn't something like this happen with the Isaac Curtis situation years ago, where he got declared ineligible because he didn't take his SATs with the official proctor or other students in the same room or something like that? I thought maybe the NCAA dragged their feet on that one too.
SFCityBear
71Bear
SFCityBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Didn't something like this happen with the Isaac Curtis situation years ago, where he got declared ineligible because he didn't take his SATs with the official proctor or other students in the same room or something like that? I thought maybe the NCAA dragged their feet on that one too.
The NCAA works at their own pace. Of course, it would be helpful to know the timeline. When was Cal informed there may be an issue? When did Cal bring the case to the attention of the NCAA? What are the general protocols for handling a case like this? etc., etc., etc.

Given Cal's checkered history of handling issues related to eligibility (see J. Johnson) and the NCAA's glacial pace at resolving situations like this, I operate on the premise we have no idea who is responsible for the lack of a resolution to the case. No big deal, we know when we know......
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.