Football question from 2018 CAL UW game

OneTopOneChickenApple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With two point lead and just over a minute to play, we continued to run the ball.
Why didn't we go into victory formation and take a knee? Even on the last play, which could have been fumble.

71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

With two point lead and just over a minute to play, we continued to run the ball.
Why didn't we go into victory formation and take a knee? Even on the last play, which could have been fumble.


Because there was 42 seconds left. A kneel down might only take only one second off the clock before it begins to wind the 40 before the next play. That would leave one second on fourth down necessitating another play. Snapping the ball to the QB who then rolled out and went to the ground allowed the clock to run out because it took several seconds. The odds of a fumble were equally remote (kneel down v. rollout and go to the ground).
OneTopOneChickenApple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

With two point lead and just over a minute to play, we continued to run the ball.
Why didn't we go into victory formation and take a knee? Even on the last play, which could have been fumble.


Because there was 42 seconds left. A kneel down might only take only one second off the clock before it begins to wind the 40 before the next play. That would leave one second on fourth down necessitating another play. Snapping the ball to the QB who then rolled out and went to the ground allowed the clock to run out because it took several seconds. The odds of a fumble were equally remote (kneel down v. rollout and go to the ground).
Thanks, but why couldn't we take a knee with one second left on fourth down?
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to Weaver, it's because we have better culture.
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OneTopOneChickenApple said:

71Bear said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

With two point lead and just over a minute to play, we continued to run the ball.
Why didn't we go into victory formation and take a knee? Even on the last play, which could have been fumble.


Because there was 42 seconds left. A kneel down might only take only one second off the clock before it begins to wind the 40 before the next play. That would leave one second on fourth down necessitating another play. Snapping the ball to the QB who then rolled out and went to the ground allowed the clock to run out because it took several seconds. The odds of a fumble were equally remote (kneel down v. rollout and go to the ground).
Thanks, but why couldn't we take a knee with one second left on fourth down?

IMO if the QB take a knee on 4th down the clock stops the instant the QB's knee touches the ground (for example a fumbled snap).
If for any reason there were even a fraction of a second left on the clock, UW would have gotten one final play.
It's a smarter move to burn the clock on the 3d down
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One snap is better than two in that situation? 50% fewer chances to blow the exchange. Or, minor screw up by the coach. No big deal.
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One thing I love about Wilcox is that he is a master of clock management. I have had few, if any, clock-bungling anxiety attacks under the current staff. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.
🎵There‚Äôs the Highland Dutch and the Lowland Dutch
The Rotterdam Dutch and Tim DeRuyter 🎶
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.