A mid-Mississippi take on the scene at Ole Miss

4,694 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Golden One
Crusty old Colonel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LSU guy here who married into an Ole Miss family. My stepson is starting his sophomore year there.

First thing I'd say is the Grove is CROWDED.....there's not a lot of tailgating in other campus locations...

Students (particularly the Greeks) will be dressed up, extremely good looking young women, and their moms, and even their grandmothers....

The red Solo cup is your friend...you'll see everyone carrying one with all sorts of libations...

You aren't allowed to cook in the Grove.....so catering the tents is a big thing...

And yes, they party after the game....at the Grove and around the Square

On campus parking..,not without a parking pass...

Swayze is a really nice facility, a good location for a tailgate...
calumnus
Crusty old Colonel said:

LSU guy here who married into an Ole Miss family. My stepson is starting his sophomore year there.

First thing I'd say is the Grove is CROWDED.....there's not a lot of tailgating in other campus locations...

Students (particularly the Greeks) will be dressed up, extremely good looking young women, and their moms, and even their grandmothers....

The red Solo cup is your friend...you'll see everyone carrying one with all sorts of libations...

You aren't allowed to cook in the Grove.....so catering the tents is a big thing...

Thanks! Assume we can substitute blue Solo cups for red and still partake?
Crusty old Colonel
If you can find blue solo cups, certainly....
TheSouseFamily
Around here, we discuss endlessly (and I mean that literally) the sagas of our previous coaches from the Sonny Dykes era to the Tedford rollercoaster to the Holmoecaust. Where do Ole Miss fans stand these days with respect to Ed O? Figured as a LSU fan, you'd have a unique perspective.

Speaking of Ed O, it's time to give this video another watch...one of the better Yoitube videos you'll ever see.

Also, what's the latest on the mascot front? You've gone from Colonel Reb to a sharply dressed black bear to some kind of shark thing. Is it still the shark thing? And wasn't Admiral Ackbar involved in this somehow?

NYCGOBEARS
Crusty old Colonel said:

Oh, don't worry. We will.
Bobodeluxe
$54.99 for a case of 500 from Amazon.
Crusty old Colonel
Mascot....COL Reb was done in by the forces of political correctness, the bear was a good idea (tying into the story about Teddy Roosevelt hunting in Mississippi), Admiral Akbar was somewhat trounce in cheek, but if James Meredith had been asked to write a letter to Lucas, who knows....the average ACT score would have gone up 10 points or more as every SF nerd in the country would have wanted to go there....

the shark ties in with he Landshark defense and comes out of the fanbase, so I think he'll be around for a while...

Ed O, frankly a better cultural fit in Baton Rouge where you can find people who talk like him....

OM was very happy with Hugh Freeze, after all he beat little Nicky Satan two years in a row....

There's a lot of instability around the athletic program .... it'll settle out only when the new university administration is in place....Matt Luke is a good guy, but I don't think he's the long term solution

bearsahead2
Question: do you have any suggestions for off campus parking on game days that are in the nearby vicinity of the Grove/Stadium?
TheSouseFamily
Appreciate the response! Thanks. And wait, there are other people on this planet that talk like Orgeron??

Very much looking forward to experiencing Oxford and the Grove. My favorite previous road trip was to Knoxville a while back but I fully expect this to surpass that one. We'll all be taking careful notes on how true professionals pre-game and tailgate for a college football game.
socaliganbear
Crusty old Colonel said:

I never travel without them.
Crusty old Colonel
Go about 250-300 miles southwest of Oxford and you'll start getting into a part of Louisiana where you'll sound like the outsider!!!!! Look up Fred's Bar in Mamou, LA.

Parking, the best suggestion I could make is to park at the Barnes & Noble campus bookstore, or the Wesley Foundation, or another of the church student centers (Wesley normally charges about $20-) on Jackson (that's the road I'd recommend getting off Hwy 278 that will take you on the north side of campus and into Oxford)

As far as that fellow with his condo for rent, frankly that's not a totally unreasonable price depending on location and ease of getting to campus

Keep in mind, Oxford has the university and is the county seat of Lafayette County. The area is growing quickly and is becoming a very desirable retirement destination. However, it's not a metropolitan area and hotel rooms for gamedays are scarce and expensive.
Sebastabear
Crusty old Colonel said:

At last! An Ole Miss fan who will visit our humble board Thank you!

Have a million questions, but I'll limit it to one for now. Do people (other than the women) really dress up for the game? I've gotten conflicting answers. If we roll in with our standard "t shirts and cargo shorts" look is that "off". Conversely if we come in with linen suits and blue bow ties will it look like we are trying too hard? Guessing the answer to that one is yes, but would love any thoughts.

For the record, I've never asked or even thought about what one should wear for a football game, but we all know the Grove is special and I want to get the full experience. Insights very much appreciated.
OdontoBear66
Sebastabear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

Have a million questions, but I'll limit it to one for now. Do people (other than the women) really dress up for the game? I've gotten conflicting answers. If we roll in with our standard "t shirts and cargo shorts" look is that "off". Conversely if we come in with linen suits and blue bow ties will it look like we are trying too hard? Guessing the answer to that one is yes, but would love any thoughts.

For the record, I've never asked or even thought about what one should wear for a football game, but we all know the Grove is special and I want to get the full experience. Insights very much appreciated.
Do it up big Sebastabear

White pants and shoes with a white belt. Light blue shirt with a blue and gold bow tie. Add the Straw Hat (band style) and you will show them some left coast.
Big C
Please, please don't anybody show up in a sport coat and/or tie (or even a button-down dress shirt), topped with a baseball-style cap. If you don't have much fashion sense (like me), play it safe with khakis, correct-color polo shirt and "timberland-or-topsider-type" shoes.

Feeling ironic? Dress as a hippie, but do it 100%.
OdontoBear66
Big C said:

Please, please don't anybody show up in a sport coat and/or tie (or even a button-down dress shirt), topped with a baseball-style cap. If you don't have much fashion sense (like me), play it safe with khakis, correct-color polo shirt and "timberland-or-topsider-type" shoes.

Just funnin' ya BigC and sebastbear. Football with a coat and tie went bye bye about 80 years ago. We need not mimic our southern opponent.
Sebastabear
Big C said:

I don't take fashion advice from people born before WWI
TheSouseFamily
Sebasta- Id certainly defer to Old Crusty Colonel on the de rigeur fashion in Oxford on game day. But having been to games at several other SEC venues like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Clemson (which might as well be SEC), it seems that the only people who get fancied up are the students. Ties/oxfords/khakis for men and dresses for women are common among students but alumni don't seem to dress any differently than we might.

Speaking of game day attire, does anyone remember the group of Cal students (fraternity brahs, it appeared) roaming around Knoxville before the Tennessee game in Union Civil War uniforms? I recall that being a little sketchy back in 2006 and I suspect it would be particularly frowned on in 2019.
Rushinbear
OdontoBear66 said:

Sebastabear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

Do it up big Sebastabear

White pants and shoes with a white belt. Light blue shirt with a blue and gold bow tie. Add the Straw Hat (band style) and you will show them some left coast.
What? There's no pics/vids of pregames/tailgating in the Grove? Why guess?
Big C
Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Too bad for you. You young whippersnappers in your dungarees and t-shirts could stand to learn a thing or two. The world started going downhill the first time Elvis Presley was on the Ed Sullivan Show, moving his hips around like he did. And now the kids are playing all that damn hippie-hop music...

PS: You would've loved the Andy Smith era!
Sebastabear
Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Too bad for you. You young whippersnappers in your dungarees and t-shirts could stand to learn a thing or two. The world started going downhill the first time Elvis Presley was on the Ed Sullivan Show, moving his hips around like he did. And now the kids are playing all that damn hippie-hop music...

What was Calvin Coolidge really like?
OdontoBear66
Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Who knows? A man of few words. We hardly knew Calvin.
Big C
Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Okay, you know somebody that knows me and they put you up to this, right?

Well, as it turns out, my Dad was a junior member of the Washington press corps in 1924 and secured a brief interview with the President. That morning, my mother had taken ill, so he brought me -- a lad of ten -- along with him, to the While House...

As you probably know, the President's nickname was Silent Cal. He was a man of few words (he probably thought the Cal tattoo said it all). We're ushered into the Oval Office and my dad explains my presence... "Hope's it's okay." The President doesn't say a word and just motions us to sit down...

To break the ice, my Dad opens with, "You know Mr. President, I made a bet with my editor: He said I wouldn't be able to get you to say three words the whole interview!"

Not missing a beat came the stone-faced reply: "You lose."

We were then ushered out.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Calvin Coolidge is the type of football fan that wears a suit and tie as well as a heavy peacoat. Extra starch on the collars please.
calumnus
Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Well, as it turns out, my Dad was a junior member of the Washington press corps in 1924 and secured a brief interview with the President. That morning, my mother had taken ill, so he brought me -- a lad of ten -- along with him, to the While House...

As you probably know, the President's nickname was Silent Cal. He was a man of few words (he probably thought the Cal tattoo said it all). We're ushered into the Oval Office and my dad explains my presence... "Hope's it's okay." The President doesn't say a word and just motions us to sit down...

To break the ice, my Dad opens with, "You know Mr. President, I made a bet with my editor: He said I wouldn't be able to get you to say three words the whole interview!"

Nice! You have a great memory for a guy who is 105!
Rushinbear
Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

That one's been around for a long time.
OdontoBear66
Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

From visiting his home years ago I heard another good story.

First born son, John, was riding in the back of a horse pulled wagon, that Calvin was driving, with an African American friend. His friend asked John why he wasn't sitting up front in the wagon with his dad? The boy added, "Were his father President he would be sitting up front and not in the back of the buggy."

John responded, "If your dad were Calvin Coolidge, you would not." Not much nonsense with Cal.
Crusty old Colonel
Good morning everyone....in the department of a picture being worth a thousand words, here are two links that should answer a lot of questions...

The Grove

Pics from Vaught-Hemmingway

My personal gameday attire will be dependent on weather...but as a LSU guy I never wear Ole Miss anything, there's a war story about that involving going to the Ole Miss bar in Boston to watch the Alabama game and OM winning....

If you're not a student, you dress pretty casually...as you could be able to see from the pics...

In the department of Calvin Coolidge, the historian where I work found a document signed by him and Herbert Hoover, back in the mid 1920's....the calligraphy was so ornate we couldn't figure it out at first, so I got hold of NOAA, turns out, it was a Commission as an Aid (Second Lieutenant or Ensign) in the Coast and Geodesic Survey...

I'm really looking forward to this game just to watch the culture mix....we'll be doing it in 2021 when the Tigers go to Pasadena (that one's going to be epic)...y'all need to get a home and home with us as well...you'll eat far better. to me tailgate jambalaya hot out of the pot on a paper plate is far, far better than catered food on fine china....
NVGolfingBear
Colonel, if I may go sideways a bit...

Is it true that LSU can control time? I'm remembering QB Bert Jones, running around forever and time slowing down. Of course, this was against Ole Miss...

That's an amazing accomplishment for LSU researchers and clock operators!

I was in Meridian MS for flight school and the howling that night and the next day was heard around the state.
Crusty old Colonel
Quote:

Colonel, if I may go sideways a bit...

Is it true that LSU can control time? I'm remembering QB Bert Jones, running around forever and time slowing down. Of course, this was against Ole Miss...

That's an amazing accomplishment for LSU researchers and clock operators!

I was in Meridian MS for flight school and the howling that night and the next day was heard around the state.
I was actually at that game...turned 21 at midnight. That was as hard fought a football game as I've ever seen. I guess you could fairly say that the clock operator had quick fingers.

I don't know what bothers them more, that or Billy Cannon's punt return...

What did you fly? My aviation experience is limited to being a Field Artillery Air Observer at Ft Hood.
Sebastabear
Crusty old Colonel said:

Good morning everyone....in the department of a picture being worth a thousand words, here are two links that should answer a lot of questions...

The Grove

Pics from Vaught-Hemmingway

My personal gameday attire will be dependent on weather...but as a LSU guy I never wear Ole Miss anything, there's a war story about that involving going to the Ole Miss bar in Boston to watch the Alabama game and OM winning....

If you're not a student, you dress pretty casually...as you could be able to see from the pics...

In the department of Calvin Coolidge, the historian where I work found a document signed by him and Herbert Hoover, back in the mid 1920's....the calligraphy was so ornate we couldn't figure it out at first, so I got hold of NOAA, turns out, it was a Commission as an Aid (Second Lieutenant or Ensign) in the Coast and Geodesic Survey...

I'm really looking forward to this game just to watch the culture mix....we'll be doing it in 2021 when the Tigers go to Pasadena (that one's going to be epic)...y'all need to get a home and home with us as well...you'll eat far better. to me tailgate jambalaya hot out of the pot on a paper plate is far, far better than catered food on fine china....

My main takeaway from those first pictures is that "walking around the Grove" may be easier said than done.
Crusty old Colonel
Quote:

My main takeaway from those first pictures is that "walking around the Grove" may be easier said than done
It's actually a bit easier than it looks from those pictures, but people and setups are all on top of each other. The paths are pretty easy to move on and they finally gave them names and put up street signs as well to facilitate navigation.

There's simply not space at the Grove for an outsider to set up...

Have no idea about what you pay for stadium concessions at home, one thing I like about OM is the souvenir cup for $10- with unlimited refills...

Another nice feature and an air-conditioned place to wait is the basketball arena (right next to the stadium), there was a lot of thought put into the design and there's an area on the north side where there's a Steak and Shake and Cane's Chicken Fingers which are open every day for students to use, there is a large sitting area and even iPads on mounts you can use...
MSaviolives
OdontoBear66 said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

Sebastabear said:

Big C said:

From visiting his home years ago I heard another good story.

First born son, John, was riding in the back of a horse pulled wagon, that Calvin was driving, with an African American friend. His friend asked John why he wasn't sitting up front in the wagon with his dad? The boy added, "Were his father President he would be sitting up front and not in the back of the buggy."

John responded, "If your dad were Calvin Coolidge, you would not." Not much nonsense with Cal.
My grandfather sometimes told the story about when Silent Cal died. Somebody came running from the house hollering that he had died, and another asked "how can you tell?"
SpecSlayer

This is still the best Coach related song in the CFB world.
Yogi011
SpecSlayer said:

This is still the best Coach related song in the CFB world.
Golden One
Here's where you want to stay in Oxford:

https://chancellorshouse.com/rooms-suites/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Capture%20-%20Ole%20Miss&utm_term=%2Buniversity%20%2Bmississippi%20%2Bhotel&utm_content=Hotel

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.