Updated Bear Insider Depth Chart

4,253 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
We believe Chase Garbers has won the starting job and will be behind center vs. UC Davis

Depth Chart. Unofficial

Look for this evolve between now and UCD around back up OL, TE, WR, LB and DL.
Big C
Question is, if Garbers will be behind center, will Modster be behind Garbers (for UC Davis)?
UrsineMaximus
Some surprises there. OL has not been able to establish a true 2-deep in Greatwood's 3rd year? A true freshmen is the backup on 2-deep and 3-deep on the OL? Not sure that that is a good sign, where is the development in Poutasi and other linemen? Some recent OL recruits are projects e.g. Friis but by the third year one would like to see more development and less of the same person(s) being a backup at multiple spots: Cindric and Mettauer.

I had hoped the top 5 OL would include Cindric at either guard or center. Daltoso got blown up in the Cheez-it bowl so he must have progressed a lot over the off-season?!?

I saw the vid with Craig where he stated he put on 30lbs and feels more comfortable on bull rushes and run blocking, if that is the case for the entire OL that is a good sign. If Cal can run the ball effectively we will beat some top teams.

Moore over Castles at TE is an interesting development. And with Alftin coming over to the TE group that will be an interesting position group to observe in the first third of the season.

It would be nice to determine what the contribution of Siu and Maldonado will be this year. Has there been any insight as to why they remain out?
packawana
One of the other podcasts mentioned that Craig looks like he has a ways to go still and was blown up a couple of times by our D-line. This might be a long season.

I think we're seriously going to have to think about SG if our O-line doesn't show improvement this year.
movielover
Today in Bear Insider, Coach DeRuyter said Luc Bequette is expected to fill in for Aaron Maldonado and Suilagisipai Fuimano who both remain injured. Erick Nisich will also see playing time.
SpecSlayer
Interesting to see Trevon Clark listed as a starter. In the 1v1 videos I've seen, he's been outperformed by Hawkins, Polk and Crawford.
Rushinbear
SpecSlayer said:

Interesting to see Trevon Clark listed as a starter. In the 1v1 videos I've seen, he's been outperformed by Hawkins, Polk and Crawford.
Coaches sometimes use the depth chart to motivate the complacent. Not saying that this is the case here, but...
UrsineMaximus
I believe this is the BI's version of the depth chart. It is not official (from the coaching staff). Not sure the players would necessarily being viewing this depth chart and finding motivation.
SFCityBear
UrsineMaximus said:

Some surprises there. OL has not been able to establish a true 2-deep in Greatwood's 3rd year? A true freshmen is the backup on 2-deep and 3-deep on the OL? Not sure that that is a good sign, where is the development in Poutasi and other linemen? Some recent OL recruits are projects e.g. Friis but by the third year one would like to see more development and less of the same person(s) being a backup at multiple spots: Cindric and Mettauer.

I had hoped the top 5 OL would include Cindric at either guard or center. Daltoso got blown up in the Cheez-it bowl so he must have progressed a lot over the off-season?!?

I saw the vid with Craig where he stated he put on 30lbs and feels more comfortable on bull rushes and run blocking, if that is the case for the entire OL that is a good sign. If Cal can run the ball effectively we will beat some top teams.

Moore over Castles at TE is an interesting development. And with Alftin coming over to the TE group that will be an interesting position group to observe in the first third of the season.

It would be nice to determine what the contribution of Siu and Maldonado will be this year. Has there been any insight as to why they remain out?
I disagree that having a true freshman on the 2-deep is any kind of a detriment. If you think about it, many or most of the truly great offensive linemen Cal has had over the years have started as freshmen. Harvey Salem, Troy Auzenne, Mitchell Schwartz. Ed White started on the DL as a freshman, and moved to OL in the NFL. I think Tarik Glenn started on the DL as a frosh and moved to OL for his last two years. Going back in time, can we doubt that Les Richter or Matt Hazeltine would not have started on the OL line, if they had been allowed to play as freshmen? I have a friend who played a lot of football who says that if a high school offensive lineman is a great one, he will start as a freshman in college. I think it may be true for the DL as well, judging by the the great Cal D linemen who have started as freshmen as well. Let's not judge these kids until we see them play the games.
SFCityBear
Rushinbear
UrsineMaximus said:

I believe this is the BI's version of the depth chart. It is not official (from the coaching staff). Not sure the players would necessarily being viewing this depth chart and finding motivation.
You mean this is someone's guess? Educated, but not the real thing? So, I'll take it for that. Right - no motivation in this. Nor projection.
Rushinbear
Rushinbear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

You mean this is someone's guess? Educated, but not the real thing? So, I'll take it for that. Right - no motivation in this. Nor projection.
Oh, "unofficial." Just saw that. OK.
UrsineMaximus
Not sure anyone on this blog is stating that it is a "detriment" ~ not really sure where that came from. It would be nice to see that, in his third year, Greatwood has developed a 2-deep (where is the development on the OL was the main inquiry of the original post). We shall see shortly as camp is about to break and some semblance of a depth chart may be released.
Richmondbear2
It's confirmed that Modster is eligible?
GBear4Life
Man, looking at WR depth I really wish Demetris Robertson was still here.

Even though he was buried on the depth chart last year and played sparingly, it looks like he had a great spring and fall camp and is expected to start at Georgia this year. Good for him.

I question whether we have enough talent at QB/WR/OL to break into the top half of the Pac or North division.
calumnus
UrsineMaximus said:

I am a little surprised at Brown over Dancy too. Dancy looked to have the speed and moves we need. Brown was a good North South runner last year, great for the second back, but not tremendously productive. Maybe it will be like Laird and Enwere in 2017, where Enwere was the starter and got the bulk of the carries for the first half with Laird eventually getting the starting carries? Hopefully Baldwin recognizes the most productive back early this year.

I am hoping Moore over Castles says more about Moore than Castles. If our TE group is strong and our OL group and WR depth questionable, I hope we go 2 TEs and power spread as our base.

Should be an interesting year, looking forward to seeing all these new Bears play!

FloriDreaming
Offense looks shaky, but wasn't expecting much from this unit. Looks like a little more experienced and deep. Happy to see Garbers as the likely starter, he needs the experience even if it's another rough year for the Cal offense. Some more depth at WR and RB, but very green. OL depth chart has me wondering if Greatwood is overrated and mostly benefited from Oregon's recruiting prowess in his last job. That unit looks weak and very shallow.

Defense looks scary good. The second unit looks stronger than Cal's first unit two years ago (which wasn't half bad).

ST looks about like the usual Cal ST - slightly below average and not likely to help much in the field position battle.

Overall the team looks a step better than last year's team. Better overall depth and experience.
SFCityBear
UrsineMaximus said:

Not sure anyone on this blog is stating that it is a "detriment" ~ not really sure where that came from. It would be nice to see that, in his third year, Greatwood has developed a 2-deep (where is the development on the OL was the main inquiry of the original post). We shall see shortly as camp is about to break and some semblance of a depth chart may be released.
If I offended you, then I'm sorry. I was not responding to anyone on the blog, but only to you. And I was responding only to the words you wrote, "A true freshmen is the backup on 2-deep and 3-deep on the OL?"
You went on to say that this "might not be a good sign." I can only respond to the English words you have written, and their meanings. Perhaps "detriment" was my harsh choice of words, and perhaps "critical" would be better. You are being critical or skeptical of the staff perhaps not developing better linemen for the depth chart, rather than playing freshmen, and you are seem to have an opinion critical of freshmen linemen, feeling they are or may be too inexperienced to play as freshmen. Nothing wrong with that. I was only pointing out that some frosh linemen may be good enough to leap-frog some veterans who may not be as talented and become starters ahead of the older players. If you make a general statement about freshmen linemen being on the depth chart ahead of veterans, without seeing the freshmen play, then you could be overlooking one or more highly talented freshman, who might be better than the veterans. Personally, I hope there is a Mitchell Schwartz, a Harvey Salem, or a Troy Auzenne among the incoming crop of freshmen, and I look forward to seeing them play in games to find out. I also welcome any development in veteran linemen, and if this depth chart were official, I'd say that the freshmen may be more ready and capable of playing at the moment than some veterans you mentioned.
SFCityBear
UrsineMaximus
Yah, it appears we are way off and too far gone to have a constructive conversation. Too much of what you assert is out of scope of the original post. I must say your post is unique in that it assumes SO much about what I "think"/"feel" about freshmen OL (or any position for that matter). Either way neither "detriment" nor "critical" fit but I do acknowledge they support your narrative.

Once the coach's depth chart comes out I hope to see some "surprises". Will be happy to chat once the "official" chart is out. Have a nice day!
Big C
When true freshmen make the depth chart, you have to take it on a case-by-case basis: Sometimes the freshman is extraordinary; sometimes we're paper thin at the position; usually something in between.
UrsineMaximus
hahaha, i don't object to it nor do I not understand the reasons behind it. That said, that was never my point. Someone else put words in my mouth and ran with it to fit their own narrative. Hopefully SG has the OL in a prepared state this year. I'm looking forward to the official depth chart.
89Bear
calumnus said:

UrsineMaximus said:

I am a little surprised at Brown over Dancy too. Dancy looked to have the speed and moves we need. Brown was a good North South runner last year, great for the second back, but not tremendously productive. Maybe it will be like Laird and Enwere in 2017, where Enwere was the starter and got the bulk of the carries for the first half with Laird eventually getting the starting carries? Hopefully Baldwin recognizes the most productive back early this year.

I am hoping Moore over Castles says more about Moore than Castles. If our TE group is strong and our OL group and WR depth questionable, I hope we go 2 TEs and power spread as our base.

Should be an interesting year, looking forward to seeing all these new Bears play!

In my humble opinion you will have your eyes opened by Brown this year!! Starting last spring continuing into the summer and now into fall camp he has been fantastic. A new quickness to go along with power. Coaches have regularly been praising his work and his work ethic. Becton raved about him. Recently in a podcast E. Weaver singled both he and Dancy out as players who have turned it up this year. I think the running backs will be excellent this year!!
calumnus
89Bear said:

calumnus said:

UrsineMaximus said:

In my humble opinion you will have your eyes opened by Brown this year!! Starting last spring continuing into the summer and now into fall camp he has been fantastic. A new quickness to go along with power. Coaches have regularly been praising his work and his work ethic. Becton raved about him. Recently in a podcast E. Weaver singled both he and Dancy out as players who have turned it up this year. I think the running backs will be excellent this year!!

I'd be very happy. I already have no doubt Brown can be great with good blocking. He is a good one cut and go, north-south runner. My leaning toward Dancy is just the observation from last year that he is quicker and more elusive, able to make something out of nothing (a key in our offense). But we have newcomers as well. I just want the best guy out there and hope that if another back shows more they recognize it early.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.