Story Poster
Cal Football

Wednesday Practice Report: Bears Look Better

August 28, 2019

Following Tuesday’s practice that did not please the coaches all that much, the Bears put out a much better effort during Wednesday’s practice.

“A good day today, yesterday wasn’t our best,” said head coach Justin Wilcox of the session that did not end until nearly 6:30.

Wilcox said that actually dealing with a “scout team” impersonating an opponent for the first time could have been part of Tuesday’s problem.  “Some of the scout team areas, the scouts out here working together that is always a little bit of a transition,” he said. “Much better today.”

The Bears worked primarily on specific situations Wednesday. “We practice different third downs, the short, the mediums and the longs,” he said. “I think the offense has done a much better job throughout camp, which is usually how it goes. The third and longs are difficult to deal with, especially early in camp.”

Wilcox was asked what he considered the strength of this year’s defense. “I think experience,” he said. “Our guys have played a lot, have seen a lot and there is really no substitute for that. Understanding how to communicate, when they see a certain formation or route concept they can talk about it on the sidelines. All those things, the in-game adjustments are big and the speed at which we’re able to install. And some of the detail of a call, they are just on the next level that way.”

Defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter agreed that having been on the field so much has made the defenders that much better. 

“We are fully into the system now,” he said. “That first year you are teaching concepts, you are really just trying to get the fundamentals down. For the first year, for our guys to play fast, we had to limit a lot of things so they could play as fast as they could. As they understand it you can play with more speed and you can add more bells and whistles.”

That said, both Wilcox and DeRuyter expect to see some true freshmen on the field, starting Saturday against UC Davis. Being able to play four games and still save a redshirt year has added another dimension. Wilcox said the coaching staff is constantly evaluating how and when to use freshmen.

“We talk about it each week and it changes based on where you are at as a team, the health of your team,” he said. “Are they ready to play?  Some guys may be ready now, some guys might be ready in three to four weeks. There is still a lot of learning going on, and like I said the health of your team and what can they do to help you in that game. 

“We talk about that weekly, and things could change. It’s a dynamic process. There are a couple of guys we expect to play. Brett Johnson, he’s a guy we expect to go in rather early in the game. A few other guys we’ll see. But we are prepared for all scenarios.”

DeRuyter agrees that Johnson will definitely see some action at nose guard on Saturday..

“We are expecting him to play. We are going to run the defense when Brett’s in there. He’s physically capable,” DeRuyter said. “He has not had the experience of Luc (Bequette) or Erick Nisch, but he’s got the physical tools to play and he’s going to play.

“He is a state champion wrestler, so he understands leverage, hands. He’s a strong guy, 290 something pounds, plays with good pad level. I think guys that are used to that hand-to-hand combat can hang in there in the trenches, particularly at the nose guard position. It’s a gritty position and wrestlers are kind of that way. They are tough guys and he’s definitely a tough guy..”

Wilcox said there was “nothing to report” on the status of Siu Fuimaono and Aaron Maldonado, who are not practicing because of injury.

Discussion from...

Wednesday Practice Report: Bears Look Better

6,267 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fuimaono and Maldonado are injured? I thought they were out for personal reasons.
UrsineMaximus
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Fuimaono and Maldonado are injured? I thought they were out for personal reasons.
source? or is it behind a firewall?

kinda strange that if it is an injury (again source) that Wilcox wouldn't have said that from the beginning. I do recall that Maldonado was scoped or something IIRC, hadn't heard anything on Siu.
calumnus
UrsineMaximus said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

source? or is it behind a firewall?

kinda strange that if it is an injury (again source) that Wilcox wouldn't have said that from the beginning. I do recall that Maldonado was scoped or something IIRC, hadn't heard anything on Siu.

Maybe it is a HIPAA thing? They won't even say "undisclosed injury"?
UrsineMaximus
Just reviewed the current interviews, nothing was said by Wilcox on injury for either of those two. Given that, in the past, Wilcox has stated: "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" and has not in this instant case, I'm curious to know where the poster came up with "injury"?

Not sure that HIPAA is in play here given the staff's past reporting on injuries.

I'm curious more than anything. But it does "feel" that Wilcox is handling this instant case differently than previous "injuries". That said, he has yet to say: "they are out for the year", which he has indicated he will do if, in fact, that is the case.

I'm just bummed these guys aren't suited up because they are needed and improved quite a bit last year.
Econ141
Their communication around injuries is, sorry to say, piss poor. How do you go from personal reasons to injury?

Why no mention of an injury for Bowers last year?

What kind of policy is not mentioning week-to-week injuries to prevent other teams from preparing for you but yet you're willing to disclose if someone is out for the year? If they don't know that wouldn't you have the same edge as not knowing about the week-to-week injuries?

Don't get it.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
HungryCalBear
I don't get it either, how an athlete's private issue, whether health, family or any other personal struggle, becomes a public topic that a coach has an obligation to broadcast to the world, otherwise his communication would be judged as piss poor. Give it a rest and let JW do
his job.
Rushinbear
HungryCalBear said:

I don't get it either, how an athlete's private issue, whether health, family or any other personal struggle, becomes a public topic that a coach has an obligation to broadcast to the world, otherwise his communication would be judged as piss poor. Give it a rest and let JW do
his job.
Are there Pac12 regs about reporting injuries? Maybe out of year is in a different category of reporting requirement than chance/likelihood of return. Just wondering.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

his job.
Are there Pac12 regs about reporting injuries? Maybe out of year is in a different category of reporting requirement than chance/likelihood of return. Just wondering.
No. The NCAA decided not to pursue the development of a protocol regarding the reporting of injuries. Each school is responsible for creating its own policy. Wilcox does not provide any detailed information unless the player is declared out for the year.
Econ141
HungryCalBear said:

his job.

I think you missed my point - I am okay with not mentioning details about injuries. But here the story changed from personal reasons to injuries. I don't know if the coaches changed the wording or the writers did so looking for clarification.

Also - if one of the reasons to not communicate injuries is to make preparation more difficult for the opposing team, then why do we put out a depth chart every week? Honest question
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
71Bear
fat_slice said:

HungryCalBear said:

his job.

I think you missed my point - I am okay with not mentioning details about injuries. But here the story changed from personal reasons to injuries. I don't know if the coaches changed the wording or the writers did so looking for clarification.

Also - if one of the reasons to not communicate injuries is to make preparation more difficult for the opposing team, then why do we put out a depth chart every week? Honest question

Articles at other sites have stated "personal reasons". To my knowledge, this is the only site that indicates "injuries". Based on that, I assume the reasons for their absence is "personal". If so, no further information should be disclosed.
OdontoBear66
71Bear said:

fat_slice said:

HungryCalBear said:

his job.

Articles at other sites have stated "personal reasons". To my knowledge, this is the only site that indicates "injuries". Based on that, I assume the reasons for their absence is "personal". If so, no further information should be disclosed.
Well done 71. Agree. We will know when they are back. If it is "personal" it is not of our business
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.