So Beau Baldwin...

6,780 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColoradoBear
CALiforniALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CAL4LIFE said:

HungryCalBear said:

So ... honest question: if you were Baldwin, would you swap Garbers with Modster now and hope he can ignite the offense?

Modster is coached by Baldwin too.
So the problem isn't with Garber's decision making? (My question isn't directed at your so much as other's who are crapping on our QB, which may or may not include you)
eastbayyoungbear
OdontoBear66 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

PaulCali said:

I wonder how much longer Wilcox will be able to tolerate this offense.

IMO this offense may be exactly what JW has ordered: "don't turn the ball over, and put the defense in an impossible situation. Play conservatively. Make enough plays to give the defense some breathing room. Wait for the defense to set up scoring opportunities".

I noticed that Cal did try a few long passes after tons and tons of runs and short passes. A few of the long passes connected. A number were overthrown.
(If the Cal receiver had not dropped an incredibly easy and open pass Cal would have won comfortably 30-17. )

To me that strategy comes from the man on top.

(The reader might note that I have come to the same conclusion as mvargus that Cal's style of offense is intentional. I disagree with mvargus only on the issue of who is the coach who is insisting upon that style of offense. I say it is Wilcox. )
There is nothing wrong with JW saying the quote you stated above out loud. Then the fan base understands exactly what he is trying to do and responds accordingly. If in fact that is his plan he is hanging his OC and QB out there for undo criticism.
I think the fact that JW harped that not having a TO was the margin of victory for this game during the postgame press conference reinforced that this is the style of offense he wants to run.
CALiforniALUM
bearsandgiants said:

If you are concerned abiut picks and happy with all of the qb running, prepare yourself for fumbles. Garbers is an exceptional running talent, but we need more balance and baldwin is not coaching up the passing game. There are open looks on many snaps. This is very frustrating and a disservice to our players.
Interesting you limit it to the "passing game". From where I have been sitting it looks to be as much a "pass catching game" and a "pass blocking game" kind of issue. Who is to say that this is solely on the shoulders of Baldwin as the OC or the QB coach, when there are clear deficiencies in other aspects of the game. Before you pull the "Garbers doesn't throw a catachable ball" when did the theory change that any ball that hits your hands should be catchable at this level?
OdontoBear66
tigertim said:

I'm in favor of the conservative approach like, generally---Garbers is extremely limited and our defense is very good. But 9/22 150 YDs against a not-very-good-non-Power-5-team...

Put it this way: a top-end offensive coach, like Mike Leach, can turn a 3 star QB into an All-Pac-12 player. I don't expect that. Leach is a once-in-a-generation talent. I expect like, serviceable numbers: ~60% completion, 7 Y/A, ~250 yards a game, the ability to hit the occasional deep shot.

Bowers seemed to have that in 2017. But we're what, 15 or so games into the post-Bowers era and Baldwin seems completely incapable of dragging this offense to *mediocre*.
Tiger...Do remember that was 9 for 22 with how many runs out of bounds (not for gain). Those have to be counted in a reality check on completion percentage. So he was about 9 for 28 or so. One of them was even on fourth down of all things with no release.
PaulCali
There are three other quarterbacks on the roster, excluding Modster. None has played a single down in a real game. Can they all be that bad? Give at least one of them some reps and see what it looks like.
CAL4LIFE
PaulCali said:

There are three other quarterbacks on the roster, excluding Modster. None has played a single down in a real game. Can they all be that bad? Give at least one of them some reps and see what it looks like.

Beau Baldwin.
chazzed
Yep. We all used to lament guys like Riley and Maynard getting all of the snaps until we saw their backups.
BearGoggles
93Bear said:

Assuming Baldwin is gone after this season, who do we want as the next OC?
Normally I thinks its absurd when posters pine for the return of Cal alums (or former coaches). But one guy I'd like to see considered is Troy Taylor. Has been a good developer of qbs and solid offensive coordinator - now with some hc experience.

Don't know if he'd consider it since he has a head coaching gig now.
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

93Bear said:

Normally I thinks its absurd when posters pine for the return of Cal alums (or former coaches). But one guy I'd like to see considered is Troy Taylor. Has been a good developer of qbs and solid offensive coordinator - now with some hc experience.

Baldwin had a HC gig and he came (might be one reason Wilcox has been so loyal to him).
calumnus
chazzed said:

Yep. We all used to lament guys like Riley and Maynard getting all of the snaps until we saw their backups.

So true.
southseasbear
chazzed said:

But we've seen Modster in action. He looked darn good in leading Southern Branch to a come from behind victor against us two years ago.
oskidunker
Why is it a big secret when he will be eligible? For gods sake he is a back up player. Mississippi is not going to suddenly change their scheme for a guy that has never played.

Ridiculous.
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

93Bear said:

Baldwin had a HC gig and he came (might be one reason Wilcox has been so loyal to him).

HC job at 1/3 the pay... Seems like everyone expects Baldwin is leaving regardless of performance when his three year contract is up. FBS is just way more competitive as in the opponents coaches also are a cut above. It may not just be loyalty, but buying out an OC and hiring a similarly paid OC could just result in more of the same and wasted $$$. Really think Cal needs to go for a more dynamic OC and pay $$$ to compete with big boys schools. Top 4 coaches on staff are on the D side and it seems like it's fun as hell to play for them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.