UCLA @ Washington State

15,290 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pigskin Pete
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
westcoast101
This is substantially worse than our loss to UCLA last year. Awful, awful loss for the Cougs.
bear2034
Terrible loss. Crazy win. Pac12 after dark in full effect. WSU live and die by the pass. Very entertaining when you have no skin in the game.
BearSD
a7051 said:

So... we just became the last hope of the Pac-12 for a playoff spot. Oh boy.
Too early in the season to say that, though the media and every drooler on Twitter will say so.

Too early in the season to assume that a one-loss Pac-12 team won't make the playoff. In the five seasons of the CFP playoff, there have been only two seasons (2014 and 2018) in which a one-loss P5 champ wasn't selected.

Now, so far they've never selected a two-loss team for the playoff. So wait until every team in the conference has two losses before saying there's no hope.
Goobear
BearSD said:

a7051 said:

Too early in the season to say that, though the media and every drooler on Twitter will say so.

Too early in the season to assume that a one-loss Pac-12 team won't make the playoff. In the five seasons of the CFP playoff, there have been only two seasons (2014 and 2018) in which a one-loss P5 champ wasn't selected.

Now, so far they've never selected a two-loss team for the playoff. So wait until every team in the conference has two losses before saying there's no hope.

Too early to worry about that indeed..it is meaningless
FloriDreaming
a7051 said:

Either UW or Oregon can run the table and have a chance. Still a long season.

But yeah. Right now Pac 12 looks like a crazy mess.
bear2034
Pigskin Pete said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

If you tuned out, it may be worth tuning back in. #pac12afterdark
This game could be the all time Cougin' It of Cougin' It
All-time, no doubt. Defense gives up 50 points in the 2nd half and offense turns the ball over twice in the last couple of minutes in the game!
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
Well looks like Kelly's program has turned the corner. I thought it would happen sooner or later.
BerlinerBaer
Cal88 said:

Well looks like Kelly's program has turned the corner. I thought it would happen sooner or later.
Woah, tap the brakes. Did we turn the corner when we whupped UCLA in 2012? The Bruins can still go 3-9.

I will say that since day 1 of this season I have felt better about our chances against WSU than against UCLA. That is clearly still the case.
82gradDLSdad
B.A. Bearacus said:

Even Orangegravy knows the power of #pac12afterdark.
heartofthebear
The way I explain this is that WSU was over-rated and UCLA still sucks. In other words, Cal beats them both. Mark it down, pencil it in. You heard it here first.
Cal will go into the Rose bowl this year and win, that's in November of course.
I'm not ready to say that Cal will be in the Rose bowl in January. We have a couple of games in a couple of weeks that should have a lot to say about that. And the pace of Cal's injuries on the OL is concerning. It would nice to get our two NGs back as well. But I like Cal's running game and now we know that Garbers can show up as a passer every few weeks. With our defense, that should be enough to beat both UCLA and WSU. I think we also win the BG this year, finally. Will it be enough to pull off a late season win against SC in memorial and the upcoming game at Autzen? Well, all I can say is I'm hoping for some weather delays in both games. As for Utah, we can lose to them and still win the conference if everything else goes well. But I see Cal with at least 8 wins, which means at least 5-4 conference. That will be the first winning record for Cal in the pac-12 in a decade. But more likely they go 9-3 as long as they stop the bleeding on up front.

One things for sure, nobody's going to put a beat down on Cal this year. Oregon, USC and Utah have what it takes to win, but even those games should be entertaining (not like the WSU game) and close.

ROLL ON YOU BEHH AIRS
Rushinbear
heartofthebear said:

The way I explain this is that WSU was over-rated and UCLA still sucks. In other words, Cal beats them both. Mark it down, pencil it in. You heard it here first.
Cal will go into the Rose bowl this year and win, that's in November of course.
I'm not ready to say that Cal will be in the Rose bowl in January. We have a couple of games in a couple of weeks that should have a lot to say about that. And the pace of Cal's injuries on the OL is concerning. It would nice to get our two NGs back as well. But I like Cal's running game and now we know that Garbers can show up as a passer every few weeks. With our defense, that should be enough to beat both UCLA and WSU. I think we also win the BG this year, finally. Will it be enough to pull off a late season win against SC in memorial and the upcoming game at Autzen? Well, all I can say is I'm hoping for some weather delays in both games. As for Utah, we can lose to them and still win the conference if everything else goes well. But I see Cal with at least 8 wins, which means at least 5-4 conference. That will be the first winning record for Cal in the pac-12 in a decade. But more likely they go 9-3 as long as they stop the bleeding on up front.

One things for sure, nobody's going to put a beat down on Cal this year. Oregon, USC and Utah have what it takes to win, but even those games should be entertaining (not like the WSU game) and close.

ROLL ON YOU BEHH AIRS
I wouldn't be so sure about Wazzou. They still scored a bucket load of points, albeit against an iffy defense.

As for UCLA, they benefited from Wazzou's obvious letdown after going ahead by what seemed like an insurmountable lead. Is Wazzou capable of letting down like that again? I would think they've learned their lesson. The ball bounced right for UCLA any number of times "Hey Ma, look what I found!"
tequila4kapp
It's better for Cal that WSU Coug'd it but dang I was enjoying Chipper and UCLA losing.
Cal88
BerlinerBaer said:

Cal88 said:

Woah, tap the brakes. Did we turn the corner when we whupped UCLA in 2012? The Bruins can still go 3-9.

I will say that since day 1 of this season I have felt better about our chances against WSU than against UCLA. That is clearly still the case.
They've moved from cellar dweller/BDW to middle of the pack in the P12S, which means they are in contention for their division because there aren't any front-runners above that pack

Also the main takeaway from this is that Kelly hasn't lost his team, this kind of win can definitely be pivotal.
59bear
Cal88 said:

BerlinerBaer said:

Cal88 said:

They've moved from cellar dweller/BDW to middle of the pack in the P12S, which means they are in contention for their division because there aren't any front-runners above that pack

Also the main takeaway from this is that Kelly hasn't lost his team, this kind of win can definitely be pivotal.
Another takeaway is that there is no team in the PAC that can't lose and no team that can't win. Is it parity or is it mediocrity?
heartofthebear
59bear said:

Cal88 said:

BerlinerBaer said:

Cal88 said:

Another takeaway is that there is no team in the PAC that can't lose and no team that can't win. Is it parity or is it mediocrity?
I see your point, but, while OSU is improving, I'm not ready to say that they have reached parity. I do think that with the rise of Colorado in recent years and the fall of the LA schools that the Pac-12 south has had parity for some time. But in the north it has been primarily Washington, Oregon and Furd for years. And no, I don't include WSU in that group. They have not been consistent enough.
ColoradoBear
tequila4kapp said:

It's better for Cal that WSU Coug'd it but dang I was enjoying Chipper and UCLA losing.
Was thinking the same thing as the coogin snowball was starting to pick up speed last night.

Though another thought about last evening was that it would have been good to have higher ranked opponents @ CMS - that would be more fun to attend and higher in prestige if wins (in terms of both the ASU and WSU games losing some of their luster).

But quality wins do not get us into the Rose Bowl this year (unless I guess someone else wins out and goes to the CFB playoff).

Another Bear
That was great fun to watch but glad Cal wasn't in it. The roll coaster ride crashed for WSU and now the whole team is sitting in a dark shed in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah UCLA and Chippy looks scary...against crap defenses. Their QB however will only get better.

In any case...here's to Couging it!
bruab2
oskirules said:

Terrible loss. Crazy win. Pac12 after dark in full effect. WSU live and die by the pass. Very entertaining when you have no skin in the game.
Nobody wins this game, both teams tried to loose it, only WSU succeeded.

The amazing thing is that after an epic couging (30 point lead in 2nd half), Kelly hands the game to WSU by not kicking the field goal. We should all be laughing at him for that. BUT somehow WSU dug deep and managed an extra special coug!

Doesnt seem possible, but there it is. Let us laugh at both of them!
UrsaMajor
Cal v. UCLA in P-12 championship? (not)
edg64

UCLA suddenly went from Cal 'sure win'

To

'Pick-em' on UCLA's home field

LACalFan
edg64 said:

UCLA suddenly went from Cal 'sure win'

To

'Pick-em' on UCLA's home field

Will their very skinny mobile QB survive?
santacruzbear
It's not better for Cal that UCLA won. Cal and UCLA compete for many of the same players. WSU and Cal not so much. Anything that helps UCLA football is bad for Cal
burritos
santacruzbear said:

It's not better for Cal that UCLA won. Cal and UCLA compete for many of the same players. WSU and Cal not so much. Anything that helps UCLA football is bad for Cal
Yup. We win all recruiting matchups against WSU. We lose 80%+ recruiting match ups vs UCLA. We should have had Takk.
going4roses
Did we offer the local QB WSU has? Or the other 3 players from ccsf?
MSaviolives
auberge
burritos said:

santacruzbear said:

Yup. We win all recruiting matchups against WSU. We lose 80%+ recruiting match ups vs UCLA. We should have had Takk.
We have a rather good player from WSU territory (Spokane)--one Evan Weaver. I don't know the whole story of how he ended up in Berkeley instead of Pullman or Seattle, but I'm grateful for the result. Go Bears!
cubzwin
"I've got to think Cal's defense is better than either of them."
You think so Sherlock? Cal has held 11 straight opponents to 24 pts or less.
Big Dog
cubzwin said:

tbf, we gave up 525 yards to Ole Miss. Bend-don't-break is fine against a middlin' team, but may not work against Wassu.
UrsaMajor
Big Dog said:

cubzwin said:

tbf, we gave up 525 yards to Ole Miss. Bend-don't-break is fine against a middlin' team, but may not work against Wassu.
Is UDub a middling team, too?
LunchTime
Big Dog said:

cubzwin said:

I am not convinced you know what you are talking about. It's perfect against a team like WSU.

Their bread and butter is the broken play. Not sustained drives. Bending to allow first downs rather than touchdowns and then forcing them to sustain and score on cramped short fields has worked.

It also works to relentlessly attack and rely on great DBs to make 1v1 plays, if you have the skill at DB, and the containment at LB.

Look to last year as an example. They were forced to actually play football and didn't get to 20. Forcing them to sustain drives made their offense ineffective.
TheFiatLux
Big Dog said:

cubzwin said:

If only we had some sample to draw on... a highly ranked opponent, say from the state of Washington, where are defense played straight up - shut down defense...
oskidunker
We had several linebackers out. Some will be back for asu. Also some offensive players may be in better shape. It would be great to know if the injuries are minor but not to be. Hope Brown is more close to full strength. We did the best we could without risking injured players in a non conference game .i look for shut down of the running qb. Plus we are due for some turnovers.
Go Bears!
kirklandblue
Cougs will get over this faster than we think, they invented "coug-it" and have had years to get comfortable with it. In the end they don't care; they are the NW equivalent of Southern hospitable - friendly and personable (as opposed to UW arrogance), and they move on to the next opportunity to have fun and cheer their team. As a fan base they have all my respect but I do admit to enjoying Leach's perplexed look on the sideline as if the air-raid offense is supposed to provide all the answers. That was fun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.