Something is getting brighter!...(hint)... my predictions

2,479 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sebastabear
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey, Cal didn't do too badly during its bye week!

I mean, in the AP Poll's "Others with votes" category, the Bears move up one notch from #31 to #30. It makes one wonder how far Cal could rise by not playing any more games?

More importantly, as far as Cal is concerned, is that the Utes crushed Cal's next opponent, the Beavs, to move up in the AP rankings to #13. Even so, I figure that a Cal loss to the Utes shouldn't create any greater burden of being able to qualify for a coveted bowl. I mean, I always had this game down as a loss for Cal.

However, for Cal, the countdown still is running as Cal still needs two more wins for bowl eligibility.

There is plenty of hope! Within the several conference games left there seems good opportunity for the Bears' bowl chance. There is the Oregon State game, of course, as one. Then, there are the games against Wazzu, u$C, the furds, and ucla, as others that Cal could pull out another win and maybe even more.

Given the above, I have slightly updated my seasonal predictions for the unranked Bears.

Note, I not only highlight in bold print the Bears' progressive overall won-loss record but also my overall predictive record, too.

Week 7: IN-SEASON PROJECTED 2019 CAL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OUTCOMES (Updated)

[1] UC Davis - Oh hum, Cal sacrificed the Aggies to the football gods, not by much (2 TDs) as was hoped for over a mere FCS lamb but sacrificed nonetheless.
Cal 1-0
Blueblood 1-0

[2] @ Washington - Cal stupendously but uncannily managed to upset the #14 AP ranked UDub, not by much (1 point) but beat the Huskies nonetheless. Cal was lucky to have divine intervention where a storm delay all but eliminated an extreme partisan home field advantage.
Cal 2-0
Blueblood 1-1
(pre-season prediction)

[3] North Texas - Cal managed to hold off a second-half Mean Green resurgence led by QB Mason Fine for a six-point victory and for a laudable #23 AP ranking. FYI, the Mean Faded Green is currently 2-4 overall.
Cal 3-0
Blueblood 2-1

[4] @Ole Miss- Cal literally saved and eked out a last second win over the Rebels, which bolstered the Bears to a lofty #15 rank in the AP Poll! You know, I think that I'm so far gone now that I'm not sure that I enjoyed this lofty ranking with all the worry it has caused me. But, hey, it was only for a week!
Cal 4-0
Blueblood 2-2

[5] Arizona State - Coach Edwards and his team knew that a win might be the only way they can get back in the good-graciousness of the AP Top 25 rankings, and boy did they, ASU was ranked #20 in the AP Poll at Cal's gracious expense. Even more amazing is that The Sun Devils are now ranked higher at #18 after a bye week!
Cal 4-1
Blueblood 2-3

[6] @Oregon- This game was Cal's path to get back into the AP Top 25, but it was not to be. Oregon managed to win despite playing like they had the bye week blahs. The Ducks owe this game's win to their Autzen Stadium fan base.
Cal 4-2
Blueblood 3-3

[7] Oregon State- This will be a Cal WIN. The Utah defense shut down Luton's passing and Pierce's running. Cal's defense should be able to do close to the same. The fact that the Beavs were destroyed won't help the Berkeley game's attendance (probably to a half empty Memorial Stadium crowd), but this won't matter if the Bears can increase its bowl chances to just needing one more win out of the next 5 games.
Cal 5-2?
Blueblood 4-3?

[8] @Utah - Utah will be a formidable opponent for our Bears as they aptly demonstrated against the Beavs. The Utes are back on the winning track as evinced by thumping the spineless Cougs and hapless Beavs. But, because this is a Utah home game and because they're now ranked in #13 AP spot, I still feel this will be a definite road LOSS for the Bears.

[9] Washington State Remember, after the Cougs' loss to Utah, Leach acutely shamed his team and I pointed out that we will see how his team responds. In their loss against ASU, I saw no change for the better in the Cougs; they were ahead for 3 quarters but lost it in the end. Cal will WIN as the Cougs appear to lose their motivation when playing the Bears in CMS.

[10] u$C- With the loss to Norte Dame, the hot seat just burned Helton's butt. I believe the Germans have the appropriate words for his coaching status. It's "Auf Wiedersehen!" Helton is definitely a goner. Even though Helton will be a lame-duck coach, this will be a tough game, but I'm saying Cal will WIN this home game!

[11] @dirty stanfurd- It looks like a favorable Big Game outcome is in doubt for Cal. Will on-and-off again QB Costello be healthy enough to play? Will Garbers or Modster be leading the Bears? The furds are shouting, "Who cares!" Stanfurd has *****Mills at QB. Against UDub, he threw for 293 yards. I'm already practicing bending over for another Big Game LOSS.

[12] @ucla - Chip's in-progress team just lost to 'zona and the beavs, but these losses were without their QB Dorian R-T. Even so, this is Cal's ace-card game to get a post-season bowl invite just in case the Beavs or Wazzu outcomes don't turn out the way we hope. This is a Cal WIN even though this game is played (cough, cough)...in L.A.

Wow, I am now predicting Cal to have a fabulous 8-4 season! Cal is looking to be third in the Pac-12 North. With Cal going bowling, I don't know how to handle this much success! If this does happen, it would mean BB will remain the OC at Cal for another, if not more, seasons.
Blueblood

heartofthebear
Blueblood said:

Hey, Cal didn't do too badly during its bye week!

I mean, in the AP Poll's "Others with votes" category, the Bears move up one notch from #31 to #30. It makes one wonder how far Cal could rise by not playing any more games?

More importantly, as far as Cal is concerned, is that the Utes crushed Cal's next opponent, the Beavs, to move up in the AP rankings to #13. Even so, I figure that a Cal loss to the Utes shouldn't create any greater burden of being able to qualify for a coveted bowl. I mean, I always had this game down as a loss for Cal.

However, for Cal, the countdown still is running as Cal still needs two more wins for bowl eligibility.

There is plenty of hope! Within the several conference games left there seems good opportunity for the Bears' bowl chance. There is the Oregon State game, of course, as one. Then, there are the games against Wazzu, u$C, the furds, and ucla, as others that Cal could pull out another win and maybe even more.

Given the above, I have slightly updated my seasonal predictions for the unranked Bears.

Note, I not only highlight in bold print the Bears' progressive overall won-loss record but also my overall predictive record, too.

Week 7: IN-SEASON PROJECTED 2019 CAL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OUTCOMES (Updated)

[1] UC Davis - Oh hum, Cal sacrificed the Aggies to the football gods, not by much (2 TDs) as was hoped for over a mere FCS lamb but sacrificed nonetheless.
Cal 1-0
Blueblood 1-0

[2] @ Washington - Cal stupendously but uncannily managed to upset the #14 AP ranked UDub, not by much (1 point) but beat the Huskies nonetheless. Cal was lucky to have divine intervention where a storm delay all but eliminated an extreme partisan home field advantage.
Cal 2-0
Blueblood 1-1
(pre-season prediction)

[3] North Texas - Cal managed to hold off a second-half Mean Green resurgence led by QB Mason Fine for a six-point victory and for a laudable #23 AP ranking. FYI, the Mean Faded Green is currently 2-4 overall.
Cal 3-0
Blueblood 2-1

[4] @Ole Miss- Cal literally saved and eked out a last second win over the Rebels, which bolstered the Bears to a lofty #15 rank in the AP Poll! You know, I think that I'm so far gone now that I'm not sure that I enjoyed this lofty ranking with all the worry it has caused me. But, hey, it was only for a week!
Cal 4-0
Blueblood 2-2

[5] Arizona State - Coach Edwards and his team knew that a win might be the only way they can get back in the good-graciousness of the AP Top 25 rankings, and boy did they, ASU was ranked #20 in the AP Poll at Cal's gracious expense. Even more amazing is that The Sun Devils are now ranked higher at #18 after a bye week!
Cal 4-1
Blueblood 2-3

[6] @Oregon- This game was Cal's path to get back into the AP Top 25, but it was not to be. Oregon managed to win despite playing like they had the bye week blahs. The Ducks owe this game's win to their Autzen Stadium fan base.
Cal 4-2
Blueblood 3-3

[7] Oregon State- This will be a Cal WIN. The Utah defense shut down Luton's passing and Pierce's running. Cal's defense should be able to do close to the same. The fact that the Beavs were destroyed won't help the Berkeley game's attendance (probably to a half empty Memorial Stadium crowd), but this won't matter if the Bears can increase its bowl chances to just needing one more win out of the next 5 games.
Cal 5-2?
Blueblood 4-3?

[8] @Utah - Utah will be a formidable opponent for our Bears as they aptly demonstrated against the Beavs. The Utes are back on the winning track as evinced by thumping the spineless Cougs and hapless Beavs. But, because this is a Utah home game and because they're now ranked in #13 AP spot, I still feel this will be a definite road LOSS for the Bears.

[9] Washington State Remember, after the Cougs' loss to Utah, Leach acutely shamed his team and I pointed out that we will see how his team responds. In their loss against ASU, I saw no change for the better in the Cougs; they were ahead for 3 quarters but lost it in the end. Cal will WIN as the Cougs appear to lose their motivation when playing the Bears in CMS.

[10] u$C- With the loss to Norte Dame, the hot seat just burned Helton's butt. I believe the Germans have the appropriate words for his coaching status. It's "Auf Wiedersehen!" Helton is definitely a goner. Even though Helton will be a lame-duck coach, this will be a tough game, but I'm saying Cal will WIN this home game!

[11] @dirty stanfurd- It looks like a favorable Big Game outcome is in doubt for Cal. Will on-and-off again QB Costello be healthy enough to play? Will Garbers or Modster be leading the Bears? The furds are shouting, "Who cares!" Stanfurd has *****Mills at QB. Against UDub, he threw for 293 yards. I'm already practicing bending over for another Big Game LOSS.

[12] @ucla - Chip's in-progress team just lost to 'zona and the beavs, but these losses were without their QB Dorian R-T. Even so, this is Cal's ace-card game to get a post-season bowl invite just in case the Beavs or Wazzu outcomes don't turn out the way we hope. This is a Cal WIN even though this game is played (cough, cough)...in L.A.

Wow, I am now predicting Cal to have a fabulous 8-4 season! Cal is looking to be third in the Pac-12 North. With Cal going bowling, I don't know how to handle this much success! If this does happen, it would mean BB will remain the OC at Cal for another, if not more, seasons.
I think you are putting too much emphasis on home vs. away. Cal has played Furd pretty close on the farm in recent years. And their last big game win was there in '09. It always comes down to health and Cal has to have their OL more intact for either game, but Cal can beat both USC and Furd although it probably won't be both. I just don't see the USC game being more winnable that Furd, that's all.
FloriDreaming
I'm with you except for one difference - I see Cal losing to SC for seven wins.

I just don't see the depth problems getting any better. So we have to assume what's left of the team we have now is what we'll have here on out.

I see Cal doing well against other teams with depth issues (OSU, WSU, UCLA), but deeper teams will have an advantage. (Furd is a toss-up, but until Cal wins I'm marking this as a loss. SC is capable of just lining up and running it down Cal's throat, and while their defense is suspect it should be more than enough to stop the Bears.)
Blueblood
Uthaithani said:

I just don't see the depth problems getting any better. So we have to assume what's left of the team we have now is what we'll have here on out.

I see Cal doing well against other teams with depth issues (OSU, WSU, UCLA), but deeper teams will have an advantage. (Furd is a toss-up, but until Cal wins I'm marking this as a loss. SC is capable of just lining up and running it down Cal's throat, and while their defense is suspect it should be more than enough to stop the Bears.)
I can go along with your reasoning......
72CalBear
Uthaithani said:

I would agree with you about $C except their road is very hard and dangerous before they play the mighty Bears: AZ, @ Colorado, Oregon, @ASU, @Cal and then ucla .Thinking they be beat up and tired playing two away games in a row at this stage of the season. If we are reasonably healthy - we can win this one!
Blueblood
72CalBear said:

Uthaithani said:

I would agree with you about $C except their road is very hard and dangerous before they play the mighty Bears: AZ, @ Colorado, Oregon, @ASU, @Cal and then ucla .Thinking they be beat up and tired playing two away games in a row at this stage of the season. If we are reasonably healthy - we can win this one!
I think it's u$C's style to fire Helton before the Cal game. Whether or not theTrojans announce a new coach is another matter. But, if they fire Helton, Cal may be in for a very rough game.
UrsaMajor
Blueblood said:

72CalBear said:

Uthaithani said:

I think it's u$C's style to fire Helton before the Cal game. Whether or not theTrojans announce a new coach is another matter. But, if they fire Helton, Cal may be in for a very rough game.
Could be, although firing him just before the UCLA game so they can beat the Bruins down by 60 or so, might be more U$C's style.

Btw, as for the Furds, this week they're down to their 3rd string QB, since Mills is out.
Blueblood
UrsaMajor said:

Could be, although firing him just before the UCLA game so they can beat the Bruins down by 60 or so, might be more U$C's style.

Btw, as for the Furds, this week they're down to their 3rd string QB, since Mills is out.
...you mean.....3rd string soph...**** 6'-4" Jack West?....poor stanfurd....Cal should be so lucky......
Sebastabear
Blueblood said:

UrsaMajor said:

...you mean.....3rd string soph...**** 6'-4" Jack West?....poor stanfurd....Cal should be so lucky......
Care to revise this prediction as well?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.