Any updates on Garbers or Modster

7,627 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Golden One
sheki
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't seen anything on their healing progress
Radical Bear
What about Crawford?
72CalBear
If you are hoping that Garbers "might be ready" for any of our remaining games, I think it's safe to say he won't be. Not knowing the nature of Modster's injury - who knows??
orindabear74
Modster is not listed on the injury list and is suited up for practice.
Blueblood

Garbers

I tell ya Coach I feel better. I
had the nurse transfer all the
bandages to my left arm. See!
My passing arm is now freed up!
Sure a little stiff but freed up. I can play!

Modster
"No...no...don't transfer me!"

Wow! He's delirious. It looks like his
recovery is going to be day-to-day.
Golden One
72CalBear said:

If you are hoping that Garbers "might be ready" for any of our remaining games, I think it's safe to say he won't be. Not knowing the nature of Modster's injury - who knows??
Garbers will be back, but probably not before the Big Game.
calbearsfan
https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/baldwin-quarterbacks-washington-state/

I think the bigger question is will some of the injured offensive linemen will play
Rushinbear
Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

If Modster can go, he'll start. But, he will be on a short leash. Brasch coming in, at home, could be just the thing to light it up, especially against the weaker (than UU) WSU D. Kid's got the arm, mobility and quick decision/release. Give him 6 plays and some Biletnikov special sauce for the wrs and you could have something.

If Dancy continues to stop in order to do his spin move, it'll be Collins backing Brown. Who, by the way, needs to hit the hole with more quickness and authority, too.
dimitrig
Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

If Modster can go, he'll start. But, he will be on a short leash. Brasch coming in, at home, could be just the thing to light it up, especially against the weaker (than UU) WSU D. Kid's got the arm, mobility and quick decision/release. Give him 6 plays and some Biletnikov special sauce for the wrs and you could have something.

If Dancy continues to stop in order to do his spin move, it'll be Collins backing Brown. Who, by the way, needs to hit the hole with more quickness and authority, too.

Well, his name IS Dancy!
Blueblood
dimitrig said:

Rushinbear said:

Well, his name IS Dancy!

...but he plays like it's Prancy.
Big C
Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

What hole???
remb8888
Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Except Brasch looks totally lost out there.

I thought Modster looked lost and looked like he couldn't throw a ball. Then I saw Brasch play.

Love how USC can roll out a 3rd string QB who will sling it and we can't even put in a second stringer and have a chance at a ballgame.
going4roses
remb8888 said:

Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Except Brasch looks totally lost out there.

I thought Modster looked lost and looked like he couldn't throw a ball. Then I saw Brasch play.

Love how USC can roll out a 3rd string QB who will sling it and we can't even put in a second stringer and have a chance at a ballgame.

GH > BB
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Utah game:
Brown 10 carries for 24 yards 2.4 ypc
Dancy 2 carries for 12 yards 6.0 ypc
Collins 1 carry for 14 yards 14.0 ypc

Laird 4.3 ypc
Brown 4.0 ypc
Dancy 5.8 ypc

Brown 3.8 ypc
Dancy 4.3 ypc
Collins 4.2 ypc

Brown is ill suited to our version of the RPO. He is a north south runner best when he has a head of steam and can make a quick cut. Our running plays start with the RB standing flat footed next to the QB while the LBs are already crashing the LOS. He was able to break tackles against UC Davis. That does not work against D1 P5 defenses. I did like it when we were using the Pistol. Before the season began I wanted to see more of Dancy and Collins, but not to hit some imaginary hole, but to help spread the defense horizontally by using their speed outside, to help create hole between the tackles. I'd love to see Dancy or Collins on a pitch. Seems strange Collins has not caught a pass at all this year...he appeared to be a good receiving threat at CCSF
Cal84
>Love how USC can roll out a 3rd string QB who will sling it and we can't even put in a second stringer and have a chance at a ballgame.

Against a top 10 team (Oregon) we trotted out a second stringer and we were within one score until that second stringer got injured. Now sure our chances in that penultimate possession (down 7 on our end of the field) were low even if Modster had been available. But factually, your statement is incorrect.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Utah game:

Laird 4.3 ypc
Brown 4.0 ypc
Dancy 5.8 ypc

Brown 3.8 ypc
Dancy 4.3 ypc
Collins 4.2 ypc

Brown is ill suited to our version of the RPO. He is a north south runner best when he has a head of steam and can make a quick cut. Our running plays start with the RB standing flat footed next to the QB while the LBs are already crashing the LOS. He was able to break tackles against UC Davis. That does not work against D1 P5 defenses. I did like it when we were using the Pistol. Before the season began I wanted to see more of Dancy and Collins, but not to hit some imaginary hole, but to help spread the defense horizontally by using their speed outside, to help create hole between the tackles. I'd love to see Dancy or Collins on a pitch. Seems strange Collins has not caught a pass at all this year...he appeared to be a good receiving threat at CCSF
WSU D is not close to UU D. OSU a better comparison. Granted the ol is not opening big holes, but what holes there are need to be hit quicker than they are. Speed? Collins may be 4.5. That's it, far as I can tell. Dancy doesn't appear to have the speed or decisiveness for a pitch.
UrsaMajor
Cal84 said:

>Love how USC can roll out a 3rd string QB who will sling it and we can't even put in a second stringer and have a chance at a ballgame.

Against a top 10 team (Oregon) we trotted out a second stringer and we were within one score until that second stringer got injured. Now sure our chances in that penultimate possession (down 7 on our end of the field) were low even if Modster had been available. But factually, your statement is incorrect.

You're mixing up two games. Modster played the whole game against Oregon (and we trailed by 10 at the end, not 7). Brasch came in at the end against OSU, who is hardly a top 10 team.
UrsineMaximus
Phewww, I know it's been a tough season but I thought I had lost my mind. TY, for saving me from "the room".
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Utah game:

Laird 4.3 ypc
Brown 4.0 ypc
Dancy 5.8 ypc

Brown 3.8 ypc
Dancy 4.3 ypc
Collins 4.2 ypc

WSU D is not close to UU D. OSU a better comparison. Granted the ol is not opening big holes, but what holes there are need to be hit quicker than they are. Speed? Collins may be 4.5. That's it, far as I can tell. Dancy doesn't appear to have the speed or decisiveness for a pitch.

WSU's defense is far worse than OSU's. We have a chance.

Again, if you look at our play design, the RB takes the hand-off while standing in place, then starts running, and always straight ahead. Meanwhile the LBs have charged the LoS at the snap if not sooner. Of course they are going to get to the hole befor our RB does. At least the pistol allows the RB to have some momentum when they receive the hand off. Better yet, would be a mix of plays that fake the run inside, but then go outside.

Dancy was faster than Laird last year. Laird was clocked at 4.56 at his pro day.
4thGenCal
Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

Hearing Garbers back for SC game.
Golden One
4thGenCal said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

That would be great if true.
calumnus
Modster is cleared to play.
HungryCalBear
Golden One said:

4thGenCal said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

except that he'll be rusty for sure - took him quite a while to get into the groove of things
Golden One
HungryCalBear said:

Golden One said:

4thGenCal said:

Golden One said:

72CalBear said:

except that he'll be rusty for sure - took him quite a while to get into the groove of things
True, but he might be back in good form for the Big Game and UCLA.
GoBears89
I would love to see Garbers back in action. But given how banged up our O-line is (and as a result, our non-existent running game), will it really make that much of a difference? Until we shore up the O-line, our QB's are going to keep getting killed.

SFCityBear
GoBears89 said:

I would love to see Garbers back in action. But given how banged up our O-line is (and as a result, our non-existent running game), will it really make that much of a difference? Until we shore up the O-line, our QB's are going to keep getting killed.

Exactly. What is the status of all the injured offensive linemen? Are any of them coming back and when? Until that starts happening, I wouldn't expect any breakout games for any of the quarterbacks or running backs.
Big C
Saffell is supposedly supposed to be back for tomorrow, which would make a decent-sized difference. However, he isn't "for sure" back and he has been rumored to maybe come back each Saturday, for weeks, so I'll believe it when I see it.
PtownBear1
Anyone else find it funny that all off season fans were talking about Modster as our only hope, and now everyone is waiting for Garbers to return and try to salvage the season.
71Bear
PtownBear1 said:

Anyone else find it funny that all off season fans were talking about Modster as our only hope, and now everyone is waiting for Garbers to return and try to salvage the season.
And some of us have been on the Garbers bandwagon for two years and were well aware that Modster was nothing more than a mop-up guy.
71Bear
71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Delete
71Bear
71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Delete
calumnus
PtownBear1 said:

Noticed the same thing , especially among the Baldwin defenders, but I'm not laughing.
PtownBear1
71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

And some of us have been on the Garbers bandwagon for two years and were well aware that Modster was nothing more than a mop-up guy.

I was on the Garbers "bandwagon" all last year and all off season as I believe he's a talented QB that was held back by the inability of the coaches. After the Davis game though, since it was clear Baldwin wasn't going anywhere and the offense was still horrid, I felt it was time to see if Modster could work better with this staff. Then of course the offense started to click and resemble a mid to low tier P5 level offense instead of the worst in P5.

I don't believe Modster is a mop up guy. I think both Garbers and Modster are talented QBs that would thrive under competent coaching.

71Bear
PtownBear1 said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

I was on the Garbers "bandwagon" all last year and all off season as I believe he's a talented QB that was held back by the inability of the coaches. After the Davis game though, since it was clear Baldwin wasn't going anywhere and the offense was still horrid, I felt it was time to see if Modster could work better with this staff. Then of course the offense started to click and resemble a mid to low tier P5 level offense instead of the worst in P5.

I don't believe Modster is a mop up guy. I think both Garbers and Modster are talented QBs that would thrive under competent coaching.

Garbers is talented. He demonstrated that v. Mississippi and ASU. Some guys just take longer than others to find their rhythm. Modster has had plenty of opportunities at Westwood and Berkeley. He has never done anything to warrant positive reviews.
PtownBear1
71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Garbers is talented. He demonstrated that v. Mississippi and ASU. Some guys just take longer than others to find their rhythm. Modster has had plenty of opportunities at Westwood and Berkeley. He has never done anything to warrant positive reviews.
He was highly recruited out of HS and played well in a small sample size at UCLA. That's more than you can say about most QBs we've recruited in recent years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.