We just scheduled a home-and-home with Florida

4,014 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Strykur
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HOLY ****

https://www.onlygators.com/11/06/2019/florida-football-scheduling-two-pac-12-teams-for-rare-future-home-and-home-series/
LunchTime
I like this.

Ole Miss, Ohio State, Auburn, Florida. This is what I like about college ball.

We'll probably get Clemson or Bama next year in the NCG, too.
calgldnbear
Wow. The Gators NEVER travel far from the south. They are also scheduling a home and home with ASU

Now, let's beat them

Go Bears!!!!!!
wifeisafurd
Strykur said:

HOLY ****

https://www.onlygators.com/11/06/2019/florida-football-scheduling-two-pac-12-teams-for-rare-future-home-and-home-series/
2 cents: this is great for Cal fans. It will be hot and humid (went to a game this year at nearby Florida Central and it was 95 degrees with 98% humidity), but they throw a great party and are hospitable to non-conference, not Miami, fans.

This also reflects a smart move by Florida to go after Pac 12 territory talent, since the top players are not staying home.

BTW, another good move by Knowlton.
ColoradoBear
Away game in 2026, home in 2027 helps balance the even/odd season home schedule too.
Oski87
calgldnbear said:

Wow. The Gators NEVER travel far from the south. They are also scheduling a home and home with ASU

Now, let's beat them

Go Bears!!!!!!
They are also playing Utah and Colorado. 8 Pac 12 games for Florida in the next decade. That is interesting.

What a huge opportunity for the PAC 12.
okaydo
Strykur said:

HOLY ****

HOOOOOOLY ....GLAD OUR AD ANSWERED THIS TWEET.

(Florida, BTW, last played outside the South in 1991. But Cal has already faced the GAtors twice before.)

touchdownbears43
Yesssssssssssssssssssss!
pasadenaorbust
Cal did play in Florida in 1980 and lost 41 - 13. But if I'm not mistaken, I believe Rich Campbell threw for over 400 yards in that game.
okaydo

Trumpanzee
Maybe we can develop an offense by then.....
okaydo
I may actually try to go both of those games.
75bear
The craziest part is that Florida hasn't played a Pac 12 opponent in 30 years!!! It seems like you couldn't do that even if you tried (and clearly they tried).

In any event, I like this. Now let's work on a home-and-home with Michigan.
dimitrig

Cool! Cal has never been afraid to play anyone. Florida must feel our program is down enough now that they can take a risk to come out here and poach recruits. I hope we surprise them! I would like to see more of this in college football.
tequila4kapp
It really is great to see Cal schedule compelling opponents.
okaydo
I looked it up. Florida has played 6 regular season OOC opponents outside of the South in the past 70 seasons:

1951 @Loyola Marymount (Rose Bowl)
1958 @UCLA (L.A. Coliseum)
1965 @Northwestern
1983 @USC (L.A. Coliseum)
1986 @Rutgers
1991 @Syracuse
bearsandgiants
Assuming the state of Florida still exists in 2026, this is great news.
burritos
bearsandgiants said:

Assuming the state of Florida still exists in 2026, this is great news.
Will there be betting odds in LV that the game could be cancelled from hurricaines?
HearstMining
75bear said:

The craziest part is that Florida hasn't played a Pac 12 opponent in 30 years!!! It seems like you couldn't do that even if you tried (and clearly they tried).

I know the issues around scheduling games are complex and the lead-times are very long, but I don't see why Cal doesn't play a Big10 team at least every other year. Plenty of Big10 alums in Northern California as job growth has been much stronger here at least since the 1980s. And playing there would give us some recruiting exposure. We used to do this much more frequently. I remember Tedford's win against Michigan State in 2002 told us there was a new sheriff in town!
Blueblood
IdahoBear said:

Maybe we can develop an offense by then.....

ahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAA
Big C
HearstMining said:

75bear said:

I know the issues around scheduling games are complex and the lead-times are very long, but I don't see why Cal doesn't play a Big10 team at least every other year. Plenty of Big10 alums in Northern California as job growth has been much stronger here at least since the 1980s. And playing there would give us some recruiting exposure. We used to do this much more frequently. I remember Tedford's win against Michigan State in 2002 told us there was a new sheriff in town!
Agree 100%. Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State again... I LOVED that we had a home-and-home with Ohio State and look forward to playing them again when we're better (and can fill up more of CMS with our own fans).
Strykur
HearstMining said:

75bear said:

Generally speaking there are a ton of Midwest/East Coast alums in the Bay Area these days, and a good portion of them are either from Big Ten schools or associated fans (in my office anyone from the state of Ohio is into the Buckeyes by some degree).
pasadenaorbust
I would love to see a home and home with Notre Dame someday. That's a bit behind going to a Rose Bowl for me.
Strykur
pasadenaorbust said:

I would love to see a home and home with Notre Dame someday. That's a bit behind going to a Rose Bowl for me.
Since the Domers want to play Furd every year, unlikely to happen...however they did play UCLA in a home-and-home in the last decade despite playing USC.
71Bear
Strykur said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Since the Domers want to play Furd every year, unlikely to happen...however they did play UCLA in a home-and-home in the last decade despite playing USC.
The LSJU/ND series ends in 2024.
Strykur
71Bear said:

Strykur said:

pasadenaorbust said:

It has been almost completely continuous since the early 1990s, so I think they keep playing indefinitely.
71Bear
Strykur said:

71Bear said:

Strykur said:

pasadenaorbust said:

It has been almost completely continuous since the early 1990s, so I think they keep playing indefinitely.
Stanford has scheduled quite a number of future games against other opponents. I suspect that both schools have their reasons for moving on.
calumnus
Strykur said:

71Bear said:

Strykur said:

pasadenaorbust said:

Stanford got good and stayed good longer than anyone thought they would.

Notre Dame is not ending the uSC series. Can see why they might not see playing Stanford every year as being in their interest anymore. Might be an opportunity for Cal to at least schedule them to a home and home.
calbear80
I remember in 1980 Cal losing to Florida 41-13. I didn't like then and I don't like playing a powerhouse UF in 2026 or whatever. It most likely means a L and makes it so much more difficult to get to 6 wins and qualify for a bowl game. Why are we doing this to ourself when we still have to play 9 tough Pac-12 games?

Go Bears!
71Bear
calbear80 said:

I remember in 1980 Cal losing to Florida 41-13. I didn't like then and I don't like playing a powerhouse UF in 2026 or whatever. It most likely means a L and makes it so much more difficult to get to 6 wins and qualify for a bowl game.

Go Bears!
If the goal is six wins and a rinky-dink bowl game each year, why is Cal wasting resources on the program? The goal should be championships and playing high quality OOC games every chance they get.
kjkbear
Destiination games sound great. Michigan came to Berkeley in I think 1980 or maybe it was 1979 during my sophomore year. That was terrific. The Florida game I will go to if it happens. I'm very disappointed there was no way I could go to Ole Miss this year because of prior commitments
75bear
calbear80 said:

I remember in 1980 Cal losing to Florida 41-13. I didn't like then and I don't like playing a powerhouse UF in 2026 or whatever. It most likely means a L and makes it so much more difficult to get to 6 wins and qualify for a bowl game. Why are we doing this to ourself when we still have to play 9 tough Pac-12 games?

Go Bears!

Let's be realistic - most years we aren't very good. If we schedule 3 cream puffs, we'll have a mediocre record, and have non-compelling games. If instead we schedule someone like Florida, Tennessee, or Michigan, we'll have a mediocre record, but we're guaranteed to have a compelling game I'd want to attend and watch.

I'll take the latter every day of the week.
Strykur
75bear said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Let's be realistic - most years we aren't very good. If we schedule 3 cream puffs, we'll have a mediocre record, and have non-compelling games. If instead we schedule someone like Florida, Tennessee, or Michigan, we'll have a mediocre record, but we're guaranteed to have a compelling game I'd want to attend and watch.

I'll take the latter every day of the week.
We also have the rare shot that we catch a program on a downswing and get some good recruiting cache (Texas this decade and Oklahoma in the 90s) or we pick it up and have a premier matchup (Tennessee). Kansas State can fill their schedule with cupcakes and people will still show up to watch in a place like Manhattan, Kansas whereas we need some big names to pull in eyeballs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.