Brilliant OC Beau Baldwin Engineers Great Win

7,660 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tequila4kapp
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only stat that matter: is Baldwin strong or weak?

Cal not weak. Cal STRONG!
dimitrig
Cal Strong! said:

I am not sure if I should read these posts in the voice of Tarzan, Tonto, or Frankenstein.
Another Bear
MathTeacherMike
GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

I'm guess it was more Modster that BB.

Come on give credit where credit is due.
Last year every one complained about the QB coach because there was no improvement in the QB play.
This year BB is the new QB coach.
BB turned Garbers around.
BB turned Modster around.
Are you kidding? 'turned them around?'

First off, both of these guys were 4-star recruits - so they have plenty of talent - regardless of what many on this board think. Garbers spent the better part of a year, before Ol' Miss, as the worst quarterback in the Pac-12 - all under the 'tutelage' of BB. He had one good game against the worst - er, second-worst (Arkansas) - team in the SEC - and you call that a turn-around? I actually think Garbers can be a good quarterback, but he needs good players and a good scheme surrounding him.

Modster is good. He throws a good ball, has very good mobility and, as he gets more comfortable, a little bit of poise. The main reason he looked especially good against WSU is that he didn't have someone in his face all night, and he had a running game to make his life easier.

The WSU defense is bad - historically bad - and we only managed to score 30 points against them. Make no mistake about it, we won the game because our defense held a potent offense to one meaningful touchdown. Giving BB credit for 'turning around' any of our quarterbacks is absolutely ridiculous. It was one game where we had a modicum of success - that's it.
tequila4kapp
MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

Last year every one complained about the QB coach because there was no improvement in the QB play.

First off, both of these guys were 4-star recruits - so they have plenty of talent - regardless of what many on this board think. Garbers spent the better part of a year, before Ol' Miss, as the worst quarterback in the Pac-12 - all under the 'tutelage' of BB. He had one good game against the worst - er, second-worst (Arkansas) - team in the SEC - and you call that a turn-around? I actually think Garbers can be a good quarterback, but he needs good players and a good scheme surrounding him.

Modster is good. He throws a good ball, has very good mobility and, as he gets more comfortable, a little bit of poise. The main reason he looked especially good against WSU is that he didn't have someone in his face all night, and he had a running game to make his life easier.

The WSU defense is bad - historically bad - and we only managed to score 30 points against them. Make no mistake about it, we won the game because our defense held a potent offense to one meaningful touchdown. Giving BB credit for 'turning around' any of our quarterbacks is absolutely ridiculous. It was one game where we had a modicum of success - that's it.

is WSU's defense worse than UC Davis or N. Texas? Of course not. The O was better last night than probably any other game this season. Give credit where credit is due.
OneKeg
PtownBear1 said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, especially when going against the worst defense in the league. And by the way, we scored the fewest points against WSU of any conference teams this season.

Good game, but are there seriously people still advocating for our OC when we've consistently had the worst offense among Power 5 teams? Wow. Hope you folks don't run companies.
The bolded above is false.

I do agree we shouldn't overreact to one pretty good offensive game when Baldwin's body of work at Cal has been terrible. But facts matter and this is how BS gets spread.

* Colorado only scored 10 against WSU this season.
* In addition, if you want to just talk about the offense only, Oregon's offense scored 30 or 29 against WSU this season - exactly how many depends how you count the ensuing 2-point conversion on the defensive TD by the Ducks.

Cougs defense against Pac-12 opponents this season:
1. UCLA's offense scored 53 (+14 from special teams = 67) in a 63-67 WSU loss.
2. Utah's offense scored 38 in a 13-38 WSU loss.
3. ASU's offense scored 38 in a 34-38 WSU loss.
4. Colorado's offense scored 10 in a 41-10 WSU win.
5. Oregon's offense scored 29 or 30 (+7 or 8 from defense depending how you count it) in a 35-37 WSU loss.
6. Cal's offense scored 33 (would have been 35 except for Cal's special teams failure on the first extra point, without which Bears wouldn't have gone for 2 later) in a 20-33 WSU loss.

This was a good win. Cal was in a rut and many were predicting 4-8. Cougs were favored by 7.5.

(Yes, again, pretty good offensive performance does not make up for Baldwins nearly 3-year poor track record at Cal).
going4roses
My god we won geez us on to the next 1

Beat sc
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Bear19
dimitrig said:

Cal Strong! said:

I am not sure if I should read these posts in the voice of Tarzan, Tonto, or Frankenstein.

LOL. Pretty funny. True.
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

is WSU's defense worse than UC Davis or N. Texas? Of course not. The O was better last night than probably any other game this season. Give credit where credit is due.

North Texas is #83 giving up 5.9 yards per play

WSU is #116 giving up 6.5 yards per play. Their DC quit/was fired a month ago. This was the fewest points they have surrendered to a PAC-12 opponent.

We averaged 5.9 yards per play against UC Davis.

The WSU defense is as weak as we have faced AND the play calling was MUCH better last night. Both can be true.
OneKeg
calumnus said:

... This was the fewest points they [WSU] have surrendered to a PAC-12 opponent.
Please stop (unwittingly) repeating falsehoods. See my above post.

This season, Colorado only scored 10 against WSU. Oregon's offense also scored less than Cal's offense against WSU (Ducks got a pick six contributing to their total of 37).

Your points about the Cougs' defense being bad or Baldwin's track record at Cal being bad are reasonable and don't need bad info to support them.
FloriDreaming
Trolling for Baldwin. Now I've seen everything.
wifeisafurd
Reserving judgment for when cal plays a decent defense. Put those points up against SC or Fird, you may get a convert. Smallest number of points allowed by Cougs, except in the Colorado victory in conference play this year.

Edited
oski003
OneKeg said:

calumnus said:

... This was the fewest points they [WSU] have surrendered to a PAC-12 opponent.

This season, Colorado only scored 10 against WSU. Oregon's offense also scored less than Cal's offense against WSU (Ducks got a pick six contributing to their total of 37).

Your points about the Cougs' defense being bad or Baldwin's track record at Cal being bad are reasonable and don't need bad info to support them.

+1
Beardog26
A fair assessment, Ursa. Well said.
Cal Strong!
Baldwin seem like strong man. But he seem like weak OC.

Same with JW. He seem like strong person. But he might be weak head coach. He always lose big after fast starts.

Cal no weak. JW and BB need to beat stanfurd to save jobs. Otherwise, Cal Strong call for them to be fired. Too many losses in year 3. Cal need a strong coach who can beat stanfurd every year and eventually lead us to Rose Bowl.

Before replying -- remember -- Cal not weak. Cal STRONG! Why we want to lose to weak stanfurd? We want coach who no lose to stanfurd.

Cal STRONG!!!
HearstMining
LACalFan said:

Yup
And wasn't it reported here that his wife/family moved back up the the Pacific NW? I'd say that is a strong argument for him not staying. I think the alternatives are:
1. Finish strong and have a shot at a HC/OC position someplace in the PacNW.
2. Finish weak which probably eliminates the Pac12 schools from the PacNW alternatives. Maybe he takes a year off to network and then take another shot at it?

PtownBear1
OneKeg said:

PtownBear1 said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, especially when going against the worst defense in the league. And by the way, we scored the fewest points against WSU of any conference teams this season.

Good game, but are there seriously people still advocating for our OC when we've consistently had the worst offense among Power 5 teams? Wow. Hope you folks don't run companies.

I do agree we shouldn't overreact to one pretty good offensive game when Baldwin's body of work at Cal has been terrible. But facts matter and this is how BS gets spread.

* In addition, if you want to just talk about the offense only, Oregon's offense scored 30 or 29 against WSU this season - exactly how many depends how you count the ensuing 2-point conversion on the defensive TD by the Ducks.

5. Oregon's offense scored 29 or 30 (+7 or 8 from defense depending how you count it) in a 35-37 WSU loss.
6. Cal's offense scored 33 (would have been 35 except for Cal's special teams failure on the first extra point, without which Bears wouldn't have gone for 2 later) in a 20-33 WSU loss.

This was a good win. Cal was in a rut and many were predicting 4-8. Cougs were favored by 7.5.

(Yes, again, pretty good offensive performance does not make up for Baldwins nearly 3-year poor track record at Cal).
My mistake, I must have transposed the CU WSU score when looking at UW's schedule. So we didn't have the worst in conference offensive performance, and may even have been about average when you break it down further as you did above, although turnovers would also need to be factored in if diving deeper.

Even if we had put up 70 points in this one game, I would be just as baffled that any fan would not want a new OC though.
UrsaMajor
MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

In fairness, as a "math teacher," you should know we scored 33, not 30, and it would have been 35 had our kicker not sh-t the bed (that's not on Baldwin, btw). We easily could have scored at least 49 had receivers not dropped passes or Modster missed 2 wide open receivers. Again, that's not on BB, who called perfect plays in those instances.
UrsaMajor
Cal Strong! said:

Same with JW. He seem like strong person. But he might be weak head coach. He always lose big after fast starts.

Cal no weak. JW and BB need to beat stanfurd to save jobs. Otherwise, Cal Strong call for them to be fired. Too many losses in year 3. Cal need a strong coach who can beat stanfurd every year and eventually lead us to Rose Bowl.

Before replying -- remember -- Cal not weak. Cal STRONG! Why we want to lose to weak stanfurd? We want coach who no lose to stanfurd.

Cal STRONG!!!
Agree that we need to beat Stanford. As for coaches who never beat 'furd, there's Bruce Snyder who was otherwise pretty strong.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the AD doesn't care at all if Cal Strong calls for them to be fired or not. Especially since JW has an extension through 2023.
Rushinbear
HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup
And wasn't it reported here that his wife/family moved back up the the Pacific NW? I'd say that is a strong argument for him not staying. I think the alternatives are:
2. Finish weak which probably eliminates the Pac12 schools from the PacNW alternatives. Maybe he takes a year off to network and then take another shot at it?

I hate to say it, but there's the possibility that they are separated and she went home. Hope not, but that hasn't been accounted for in threads I've seen.
going4roses
oh boy i just watched a replay of the Cal game which was a WIN ... next up sucky sc
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
LACalFan
Rushinbear said:

HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup

I hate to say it, but there's the possibility that they are separated and she went home. Hope not, but that hasn't been accounted for in threads I've seen.
JMO, this stuff isn't fair game to speculate about on a public forum.
Cal Strong!
UrsaMajor said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cal STRONG!!!
Agree that we need to beat Stanford. As for coaches who never beat 'furd, there's Bruce Snyder who was otherwise pretty strong.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the AD doesn't care at all if Cal Strong calls for them to be fired or not. Especially since JW has an extension through 2023.
Cal AD's always wait to fire coaches until after they get big extensions. Everyone know that.

Only question that matters -- are JW and BB strong coaches? If yes, then they will beat stanfurd. If no, then they should be fired for being weak.
Rushinbear
LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup

You're late. Speculation about his wife leaving Berkeley was rampant a couple of weeks ago. It was said that she didn't like urban life. I think BB is gone for whatever reason, of his own choosing.
LACalFan
Rushinbear said:

LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup

You're late. Speculation about his wife leaving Berkeley was rampant a couple of weeks ago. It was said that she didn't like urban life. I think BB is gone for whatever reason, of his own choosing.
It just feels out of bounds to be talking about a staff member's private life. But I get it, it might have had an impact on his job performance and will likely factor into his decision making going forward.

Another Bear
I looked at the game on the DVR yesterday for the first time. My take for the win: Cal was healthy. Yes, BB did his job and had his guys, ready so good for him. However, just a reminder, he is a professional and he is getting paid $500k/year. No, I don't hate him. I've said he'd called good, solid games since last year...just health, depth and lack of depth was an issue. Summary: healthy Cal and BB can win...but mostly it's a health issue.

p.s. The other thing I noticed, Yogi Roth...played the Cal homer during the game, good analysis.
Rushinbear
LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup

It just feels out of bounds to be talking about a staff member's private life. But I get it, it might have had an impact on his job performance and will likely factor into his decision making going forward.

If the speculation is my observation, he might want to stay, if given the choice. Just looking at the possibilities and not wanting to be surprised at whatever might happen.
BearRaidNation
We are still the last place ranked O in the conference. If we finish 11th - maybe there is reason to reconsider. But 2 last place finishes in a row gives you your answer
OneKeg
PtownBear1 said:

OneKeg said:

PtownBear1 said:

My mistake, I must have transposed the CU WSU score when looking at UW's schedule. So we didn't have the worst in conference offensive performance, and may even have been about average when you break it down further as you did above, although turnovers would also need to be factored in if diving deeper.

Even if we had put up 70 points in this one game, I would be just as baffled that any fan would not want a new OC though.
Props for acknowledging the mistake. I really don't disagree much with the rest of what you're saying.

It was a pretty good offensive performance, even considering the opposition. But it was clearly an outlier compared to Baldwin's lowly track record so far.
calumnus
OneKeg said:

calumnus said:

Thanks for the correction.
calumnus
LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

LACalFan said:

Rushinbear said:

HearstMining said:

LACalFan said:

Yup

It has been known to effect job performance.
calumnus
BearRaidNation said:

We are still the last place ranked O in the conference. If we finish 11th - maybe there is reason to reconsider. But 2 last place finishes in a row gives you your answer

In 2017 we were #11 but barely edged out OSU in yards per play, 5.18 to 5.17

In 2018 it wasn't close, we were #12 at 4.9 and OSU was #11 at 5.3

In 2019, we dropped even further to 4.8 yards per play far behind #11 Stanford at 5.3 yards per play.

Meanwhile OSU has jumped to #7 at 5.9 yards per play, leapfrogging Cal, Stanford, Colorado, UCLA and ASU despite consistently low rated recruiting classes (though their 2020 class is #9 and comparable to Cal's). What changed? They hired former OSU QB Jonathan Smith who had been Peterson's OC as their HC.
bluehenbear
dimitrig said:

If they can do it so can we.
Wazzu doesn't have to play USC and UCLA every year.
tequila4kapp
calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

North Texas is #83 giving up 5.9 yards per play

WSU is #116 giving up 6.5 yards per play. Their DC quit/was fired a month ago. This was the fewest points they have surrendered to a PAC-12 opponent.

We averaged 5.9 yards per play against UC Davis.

The WSU defense is as weak as we have faced AND the play calling was MUCH better last night. Both can be true.

Davis and N. Texas stats are accrued against weaker competition. As a result, comparative stats have limited value. Common sense tells us WSU has a more talented and better D.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.