Random Observations from WSU Game

8,636 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal84
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And we're off . . ,

Glorious game and really so much fun to be at. Unfortunately not too many folks got to enjoy it. Attendance was . . . what's that phrase again?. . . . "not good". Here's a shot from halftime.

ok, I'm joking. That's actually from the post game concert. But here's what it did look like at kick off and as you can see it wasn't really much better.

Spoke with the powers that be about what they are doing to get folks to the games. And, no we don't need to rehash the "why" for the bazillionth time. Obviously the four game skid, lateish start time, etc hurt us bad. But let's focus on the solution, not the problem. Apparently we did kind of our "normal" direct marketing for this game, with out typical spend on internet adds and key word searches. Cal tracks all of this stuff real time. Apparently we got excellent returns from Pacifica (I think) because that's where the WSU QB was from. But the overall results were objectively terrible as can be seen from the pics.

Next week, we are going way beyond "normal" spend in an effort to get folks in for the last game of the season. A lot of targeted marketing in Marin because of the Jared Goff bobble head giveaway and the early returns on that are encouraging. Cal is optimistic we'll have a good crowd for that one.

A lot of other initiatives in place which I won't bore folks with, but I mention only to give hope that we are not letting attendance just "happen". Cal is working hard to get folks to the game given the hand they are dealt.
HoopDreams
overall attendance was poor, but mid-second quarter looked a lot better than that
Sebastabear
We got the t shirt cannon to work again and actually wheeled it to another section so it didn't just shoot shirts at the same 10 people who have been getting t shirts all season. Funny part is the cannon was all set to shoot shirts into one new section and the fans there seemed jazzed, but at the last minute the tv boom wheeled in front and the cannon had to switch directions. You would have thought someone had stolen their car given the reaction.

But my conclusion after watching this thing all season is t shirt cannons don't work well in football stadiums. Stadium is just too big. We'd need like 10 of them to make an impact. Looking forward to seeing this thing at the basketball games to hopefully greater effect.
Sebastabear
I now know why he powers that be took quite a while to figure out why it was a big deal that the band was being muzzled. We sat in the U Club and I noticed despite the fact that I sat outside all game I couldn't really hear the band very well. Piped in music by contrast was very clear. A bit too clear if you ask me. Anyway,
luckily that message seems to have been received and the band has been much more present this season - just not for the folks upstairs.
TheFiatLux
Watching on TV from India (I realize the geographic location of where i am watching a game on TV doesn't influence anything, I just like from India, sounds cooler) Sunday morning, the crowd didn't look awful.

The box score says 39,186... I'm guessing that's tickets sold not butts in seats, but honestly, that's more than I would have expected. Coming off a bye week following a dispiriting 4 game losing streak, there's only so much you can do (and this is me typing that).

Hopefully we'll have 50K+ for the SC game, win, have everyone excited and have 20K+ down on the farm to tak it over.
Sebastabear
Pride stuff was nice. Had a pride flag and the card stunt (which had to be pulled because of lack of students) was pride themed. Band had some rainbow thing going on to. Basically an improvement over the October breast cancer awareness month. Nothing against breast cancer awareness, but pink is pretty close to red and I hate red (for obvious reasons). Plus we never seem to play well in October so I have a negative cognitive association with pink pompons and Cal football.
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

Watching on TV from India (I realize the geographic location of where i am watching a game on TV doesn't influence anything, I just like from India, sounds cooler) Sunday morning, the crowd didn't look awful.

The box score says 39,186... I'm guessing that's tickets sold not butts in seats, but honestly, that's more than I would have expected. Coming off a bye week following a dispiriting 4 game losing streak, there's only so much you can do (and this is me typing that).

Hopefully we'll have 50K+ for the SC game, win, have everyone excited and have 20K+ down on the farm to tak it over.
That must have been a particularly brutal time zone shift. You're a good fan to do that. I think we'll have good attendance for both USC and Stanford. The elusive California sweep is still in play. Would be an amazing thing to pull off.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

That must have been a particularly brutal time zone shift. You're a good fan to do that. I think we'll have good attendance for both USC and Stanford. The elusive California sweep is still in play. Would be an amazing thing to pull off.
No, actually the night games are AWESOME when you're in this part of the world because of the 13 1/2 hour time difference. So the game kicked off at the not unreasonable time of 5:30AM... I'll be in Sri Lanka for the SC game so that 8PM PST kickoff is 9:30AM (albeit Sunday) so just like a normal game day!!
Sebastabear
Maybe he best open field tackling I've seen by Cal in many years. Was that Josh Drayden making all of those tackles at the knees? It was glorious.
CannonBlast
First time this season attending a home game. I understand that a lot of schools charge what they charge and I'm not price sensitive for Cal games but when I was looking at getting single game tickets, I couldn't believe how expensive the tickets were for the end zones and corners. How does a working family with 2 or 3 kids afford a Cal game? Especially after batting traffic, expensive parking and walking uphill (I'm talking about the casual fan and not those of us hardcore alums who enjoy the walk with the Cal band). We should be competitive with minor league baseball or hockey for the non premium seats. I understand how starved we are for revenue but I just feel like it's short sighted to squeeze out ever ounce of ticket revenue now with out developing a future fan base of non alum.

I understand we do dynamic pricing like many other schools and pro teams but the prices don't seems to change enough to reflect the market. Does it even change?

For all the less attractive conference teams, we should practically pass out the corners and endzone tix like candy. Raise the price on concessions for everyone...exploit us alums and folks in the premium seats. Also, have more consession stands for the beer and wine. Shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes in line for alcohol. You wanna maximize every last bit of revenue than literally squeeze every ounce out of alcohol sales. Make it easy for us to go get more beer. After our first round, no one wanted to go back for a second round even if we wanted to. Didn't want to miss anymore game action. What's the incremental cost of additional staff and concession stands vs. potential revenue? Sorry... frustrated about both the fan experience and what I perceive as misplaced emphasis to maximize revenue.

I'm off my soapbox.
ducky23
Sebastabear said:

And we're off . . ,

Glorious game and really so much fun to be at. Unfortunately not too many folks got to enjoy it. Attendance was . . . what's that phrase again?. . . . "not good". Here's a shot from halftime.

ok, I'm joking. That's actually from the post game concert. But here's what it did look like at kick off and as you can see it wasn't really much better.

Spoke with the powers that be about what they are doing to get folks to the games. And, no we don't need to rehash the "why" for the bazillionth time. Obviously the four game skid, lateish start time, etc hurt us bad. But let's focus on the solution, not the problem. Apparently we did kind of our "normal" direct marketing for this game, with out typical spend on internet adds and key word searches. Cal tracks all of this stuff real time. Apparently we got excellent returns from Pacifica (I think) because that's where the WSU QB was from. But the overall results were objectively terrible as can be seen from the pics.

Next week, we are going way beyond "normal" spend in an effort to get folks in for the last game of the season. A lot of targeted marketing in Marin because of the Jared Goff bobble head giveaway and the early returns on that are encouraging. Cal is optimistic we'll have a good crowd for that one.

A lot of other initiatives in place which I won't bore folks with, but I mention only to give hope that we are not letting attendance just "happen". Cal is working hard to get folks to the game given the hand they are dealt.

I don't think cal could have done anything to bump attendance for the WSU game so they def get a pass for last game.

Hoping for 50+ for sc considering there should be a little more optimism for this game and (of course) its SC. I've seen a lot of Goff bobble head commercials while watching dubs games.

Here's hoping the dulcet sounds of the SC band doesn't reach you from your seat in your ivory tower (kidding)
Goobear
Came to the game yesterday as guests of a great human. He knows who he is. Thanks again!

We took Bart from the Airport. There was actually Cal football information on the Electronic Bart signs. I never have seen that before. Also saw many more parking signs for the game off Shattuck than I have seen before. Thought the atmosphere in the stadium was very good despite half empty. Boy Cal Football could do so so much better if institutionally it was all in. It's time. Go Bears!
Northside91
CannonBlast said:

First time this season attending a home game. I understand that a lot of schools charge what they charge and I'm not price sensitive for Cal games but when I was looking at getting single game tickets, I couldn't believe how expensive the tickets were for the end zones and corners. How does a working family with 2 or 3 kids afford a Cal game? Especially after batting traffic, expensive parking and walking uphill (I'm talking about the casual fan and not those of us hardcore alums who enjoy the walk with the Cal band). We should be competitive with minor league baseball or hockey for the non premium seats. I understand how starved we are for revenue but I just feel like it's short sighted to squeeze out ever ounce of ticket revenue now with out developing a future fan base of non alum.

I understand we do dynamic pricing like many other schools and pro teams but the prices don't seems to change enough to reflect the market. Does it even change?

For all the less attractive conference teams, we should practically pass out the corners and endzone tix like candy. Raise the price on concessions for everyone...exploit us alums and folks in the premium seats. Also, have more consession stands for the beer and wine. Shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes in line for alcohol. You wanna maximize every last bit of revenue than literally squeeze every ounce out of alcohol sales. Make it easy for us to go get more beer. After our first round, no one wanted to go back for a second round even if we wanted to. Didn't want to miss anymore game action. What's the incremental cost of additional staff and concession stands vs. potential revenue? Sorry... frustrated about both the fan experience and what I perceive as misplaced emphasis to maximize revenue.

I'm off my soapbox.

Far too much common sense in this post. How dare you.
tequila4kapp
CannonBlast said:

I'm off my soapbox.
I'd argue they already are squeezing alums and premium seat holders. Or at least I did when I paid $14 for a beer and my friend told me how much his field club (?) seats cost.
CannonBlast
I pay that much for beer at Angel and Laker games. But it only take me 5 minutes. I'd say I average 3 or 4 IPAs a baseball game. That's about 45 bucks for just me. At yesterday's game, cal separated just $14 from me and my wallet because it took too long.

Our group of 12 all had wine or beer. Half would have made multiple rounds if it was more convenient. Gawd typing that pisses me off. You have 6 or 7 opportunities a year to extract dollars at that volume... You can't afford to wiff like this.

Sebasta - please relay this to the "powers that be".

Let's also get young families and bargain hunters into these games.
Bobodeluxe
Perhaps a tie in with the young families counting alcoholics stumbling back and forth for drinks?

At the last home game a drunk young woman stepped on my arm with her very stylish boot. Blood and gore. Four stitches. Neither she or her companion even noticed. Great experience.

Cal84
CannonBlas said:

I'm off my soapbox.
Get back on it. Keep on agitating. Otherwise nothing changes. You are right that the time to be promotional with ticket sales/giveaways is when you aren't selling all your tickets. It literally costs you nothing at those times to build your fan base. In order to avoid cannibalizing existing sales, you do something like announce 48hrs before the game that anyone wearing a Cal T-shirt/jacket/hat gets a free endzone seat. Then sell Cal T-shirts/jackets/hats at the entryway to the stadium. Flog that chit like crazy. Online, on campus, where ever.

Ar far as alcohol, it's obvious that Cal Athletics doesn't have experience here. Give them credit for recognizing that alcohol sales make money. But beyond that they need to auction the rights to alcohol sales to a private company. Cal Athletics can make its own stipulations (beer/wine only, sales only up to 3rd quarter, etc.), but let someone else set the price, sizing, etc. They're going to be better at it.
Golden One
Officlal paid attendance was 39,000, but there were never more than 30,000 actual butts in the seats. Student section was 40% full at most in the first half, and dropped to about 30% in the second half. So much for a late afternoon start time boosting student attendance. This was probably the worst student attendance all season.

The only reason next Saturday will be better is due to the sizable SC crowd that will be attendance. Still, due to the 8:00pm start, I don't expect more than 45,000 actual butts in the stands. And the west-side club seating will be about 20% SC fans.
Golden One
Sebastabear said:

Pride stuff was nice. Had a pride flag and the card stunt (which had to be pulled because of lack of students) was pride themed. Band had some rainbow thing going on to. Basically an improvement over the October breast cancer awareness month. Nothing against breast cancer awareness, but pink is pretty close to red and I hate red (for obvious reasons). Plus we never seem to play well in October so I have a negative cognitive association with pink pompons and Cal football.
Pride recognition is fine, but I hated that many of the band members wore red sashes over their right shoulder. The Cal Band should NEVER wear red. The other colors (orange, yellow, blue, green, etc.) were fine, but NOT RED! The band leadership should have better sense.
LACalFan
Marketing will only get you so far. Winning is the only real fix.
Big C
If they're going to do targeted marketing for the U$C game, what with the 8 PM start time, they should go for prospective attendees w/o little kids. Under 30 and Over 50?
rathokan
attendance wasn't good but it wasn't as that turrible considering the 4-game losing streak. beautiful night

calumnus
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

Pride recognition is fine, but I hated that many of the band members wore red sashes over their right shoulder. The Cal Band should NEVER wear red. The other colors (orange, yellow, blue, green, etc.) were fine, but NOT RED! The band leadership should have better sense.

Lol. We should have special rainbow flags and sashes where the red is missing.
Sebastabear
calumnus said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

Lol. We should have special rainbow flags and sashes where the red is missing.
I actually agree with this. A good idea. Would be very Cal. I mean I'm all for inclusion and all that but you have to draw a line somewhere. Drawing it at red seems like the right place.
tequila4kapp
CannonBlast said:

I'm off my soapbox.
I just went to the AD site to look at SC game tickets. My quick search shows nothing less than $51 per ticket for youth end zone seats ($65 for n9n-senior adults)Corner end zone sections are $84 per ticket. This pricing is obscene. Our product on the field - football and overall game experience - just isn't worth anything close to those numbers. Rather than give tickets away or doing promotions we need to price tickets to reflect value and demand.
ThesePretzels
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but nothing can move the needle on ticket sales besides winning.

Not the band playing more w/ less piped-in music. Not slightly lower ticket prices. Not shorter security lines. Only winning... which creates a viral interest in attending something, and makes it worth discussing with even those who didn't attend Cal.

For example, UCLA was so bad earlier this season that a large portion of the Rose Bowl was made up of high school students (mainly band members) given reduced price or free tickets.

If UCLA beats Utah and USC, the Cal game will draw 60K+, and people will say this truly is the start of the Chip Kelly era.

If UCLA loses to Utah or particularly USC, the Cal game with draw 30K at the Rose Bowl (though they'll announce it as 50K), and the complaining about Chip/traffic to the Rose Bowl/start times will continue.

I don't know how to get Cal back to Rodgers-era relevance, but I do know that is the only real needle mover.

Some people watch Cal football cause they went to school there. Some people go cause it's a nice outing with the family. Some people go cause it's a significant event with a lot of excitement around the outcome.

The lattermost group has been missing for a while. (I don't want to say it, but probably since the Tedford era. Anyone who went to the Tennessee game knows what I'm taking about)

ducky23
tequila4kapp said:

CannonBlast said:

I'm off my soapbox.
I just went to the AD site to look at SC game tickets. My quick search shows nothing less than $51 per ticket for youth end zone seats ($65 for n9n-senior adults)Corner end zone sections are $84 per ticket. This pricing is obscene. Our product on the field - football and overall game experience - just isn't worth anything close to those numbers. Rather than give tickets away or doing promotions we need to price tickets to reflect value and demand.

They just did a flash sale today. $40 tickets
Bear19
I was all set to take my two grandsons (ages 6 & 9) to the u$c game. We'd be coming from the Sacramento area. 8:00 PM start time kills that idea. We wouldn't get back until 2:00 AM at the earliest.

No mystery why attendance is down - impossible to make any plans in advance with a regular 1:30 PM start time.

So the TV gods have decreed, so let it be written. Will DVR the game & if we win watch it on Sunday with the kids.
HoopDreams
tequila4kapp said:

CannonBlast said:

I'm off my soapbox.
There is the family tickets, which if I understand the calbears.com site, is $25/person (so family of four is $100)
HoopDreams
Sebastabear said:

I now know why he powers that be took quite a while to figure out why it was a big deal that the band was being muzzled. We sat in the U Club and I noticed despite the fact that I sat outside all game I couldn't really hear the band very well. Piped in music by contrast was very clear. A bit too clear if you ask me. Anyway,
luckily that message seems to have been received and the band has been much more present this season - just not for the folks upstairs.
I read that Utah sells out their football games, and that they have four speakers around the stadium for the band

We could do that very inexpensively for the University Club (and not blast it, but have the speakers at a reasonable level for everyone to enjoy)

Part of the game day experience and tradition is hearing the band play, and this will improve it for some of the biggest fans. If Utah can do it, Cal can too
ryananderin
Not sure where you waited 20 minutes to buy alcohol as the time it took right before kickoff to get ID'd, wristbanded, ordered and paid up was no more than 2 minutes. There are literally 8-10 distribution points so if you happen to find a backed up one next week, know you can breeze through one a couple of sections away.
GivemTheAxe
Sebastabear said:

Thank you Sebastabear
Last year I complained about the Dance Team wearing red to a Cal event. ( without any prior announcement about Breast Cancer awareness. Some people chewed me out for not being aware it was breast cancer awareness month.
My reply was that the Dance Team's announcer should have made a clear announcement in view of the fact that Red is Verboten for Any true Cal fan.
LunchTime
Sebastabear said:

I did not enjoy band members wearing red sashes.

It's closer to red than pink is.
Sebastabear
Ok since we are making random points here, I have to link to this article from CougCenter on the game. It's fun to read. At least if you are a Cal fan. But because I have no life I clicked on the podcast at the bottom where the WSU chuckleheads previewed our game.

With the benefit of hindsight it's hysterical.

If you are interested, they start in on Cal's offense at 6:25 and just relentlessly rip on it for 10 minutes. I was honestly offended even though these are all complaints we have made on here (hey only we get to pick on BB like that!) but where it really takes flight is at about 16:00 where they launch into an extended diatribe on, as they call it, "the Cal BS". They revisit the litany of horrors they have faced in Berkeley and even in Pullman over the years at our hands and acknowledge that weird bad stuff, always, always happens to them when the play Cal. But they say despite all the history, they are sure - just certain - that this time given their amazing offense and the fact that our best QB couldn't carry their third string's jock, this time will be different (Bwahahahaha!).

Somewhere in there they note they will be hugely disappointed if Cal scores more than 20 points on them given our ineptitude on offense. Well suffice it to say I will definitely be tuning in to this week's podcast. Can't wait for their recap of our game.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2019/11/10/20957516/breaking-bad-washington-state-cougars-pac-12-football-team-plays-poorly-loses
LMK5
Thoughts from a new fan here, 2nd game attended:

1) Crowd was not huge but pretty good energy.
2) Food choices excellent on the east side where I sat (section T).
3) Need to find a way to hear the band! Rose Bowl is now amplifying the UCLA band over the PA. Must do this for Cal also.
4) Why don't they announce the post game band performance over the PA? What's the secret?
5) ATO prices way too high--not paying attention to the market. Not everyone is aware of Stubhub where tickets are 50% off. If you're going to have dynamic pricing, you can't have it both ways. You've got to swallow and price them low when demand is in the cellar.
6) Good mix of fan types in section T. You've got your alumni, family outings, band parents, non-affiliated football lunatics, and people watching as if it were the evening news.
7) Cal must promote the Sproul pre-game performance! Many people, especially those with kids, may consider this their highlight. Plenty of WSU fans were watching this time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.