Who should Cal start at QB this weekend vs. USC?

4,197 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pigskin Pete
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
And why?
oskidunker
Garbers if he has looked better than Modster in practice.
Go Bears!
heartofthebear
I'll follow with my own question-
Who is better, Modster circa 11/9/19 or Garbers circa 9/21/19?

Personally I'll take Garbers but I am less confident we will get that Garbers than I am that we will get the Modster from last week.

In either case, Saffell will be directing traffic front and center. That might have more to do with the offense than the QB. But we've got to keep him healthy.

So, to answer the question directly--I want Modster to start.
Cal84
oskidunker said:

Garbers if he has looked better than Modster in practice.
Garbers is cleared for practice/play. We don't know anything else about his arm strength, his reactions/reads, etc. Hopefully the coaches do by Friday. So yeah, evaluation during practice seems to be the only logical way to go.
chazzed
Modster. I don't think that the coaches' decision is very difficult. I mean, he seems to have found his groove and Garbers may take a while to become comfortable, again.
bencgilmore
Modster, I think he's playing fairly well. I think he's doing basically everything a healthy Garbers was doing, except he's (a) got a better deep ball and (b) is maybe a *tiny* bit less consistent. But lets be honest, before the Ole Miss game, almost everyone here wanted to see Modster because Garbers had never really been consistent either. Bringing a guy in introduces rust and chemistry issues, for a minimal (if any) upside
Another Bear
Modster had a good game against WSU...so go with the hot hand. Garbers will be rusty but have him ready to play. He should get some reps, but be strategic about it. Use him as a change up with the RPO.
Big C
I don't know, but I'm guessing the coaches will. They know what Garbers has been able to do the past two weeks and they will be watching him closely this week.

Probably Modster, with Garbers ready to step in, but the staff will be able to make the most informed decision.
Strykur
Modster, he can make a deep shot and we have to stretch the field on Saturday.
STEAKKNIVES4LIFE
BearGreg said:

And why?

You go first.
KoreAmBear
I like Modster with our "new" offense under center. Good for him, good for Brown, good for the tight end blocking schemes. If Garbers is in, we are right back to RPO multiple packages. Let's just continue to do what's working for now yes?
71Bear
BearGreg said:

And why?
Whoever is the best during practice this week.....
Beardog26
I agree with this, with the huge caveat that I also wouldn't mind seeing Garbers get another week of strengthening his arm and shoulder and re-building chemistry with the offense he hasn't competed with in six weeks. USC's D Line, particularly DT Tufele, is a fair bit better than WSU and probably also next week's opponent, Furd. I've seen a few broken collarbones in football and rugby and they present a difficult and careful path to re-entry into contact sports.

If he is without doubt ready to play in a Pac-12 football game and has the best week of practice, then Garbers should start. That determination is tough, since the player knows his body and pain threshold better than anyone, but is also the least likely to advocate for missing game action.
HungryCalBear
KoreAmBear said:

I like Modster with our "new" offense under center. Good for him, good for Brown, good for the tight end blocking schemes. If Garbers is in, we are right back to RPO multiple packages. Let's just continue to do what's working for now yes?

I agree with this. Our RPO never seem to execute consistently even with Garbers on his good days. I'd move forward building on what started last week, with Modster and the "new" offense system.
calgo430
we pay the coaches a lot of moolah to make these decisions
KoreAmBear
HungryCalBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

I agree with this. Our RPO never seem to execute consistently even with Garbers on his good days. I'd move forward building on what started last week, with Modster and the "new" offense system.
Our RPO seemed to be easy to defend esp on the mesh point. The QB never kept it on the mesh. We usually have designed QB runs or Garbers would run when plays would break down.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

+1
BerlinerBaer
He who is best able to run the pistol formation should start.

We're up against a Clancy defense. That's why.
Hail2Calif
KoreAmBear said:

I agree. The O has been practicing this way for 5-6 weeks now and it seemed to come together on Saturday (albeit against WSU). If one of the most notable tweaks was a substantial reduction/elimination of the RPO element - is Garbers really going to run with no restriction (coaching/physical/mental) after his last play was a run?

Timing on the deeper balls seems to be improving as well (a lot of people have noted DM missed a wide-open receiver for a TD when under pressure - but he hit Crawford and Duncan early on big pass plays and had another potential big gainer hitting Clark in stride but for a drop).

It's a tough call. Neither has a huge body of work (or one could say each of their total body of work is not impressive) yet both of their most recent "full game starts" were by far their best individual performances.

If it were me, short of CLEAR separation by Garbers in practice, I'd start Modster on a fairly short leash.

If CG comes in for an ineffective DM, his entrance will generate a lot of goodwill and boost energy.

If we have to replace a rusty CG with DM, it creates the oh so enjoyable QB controversy
Klindergoff
Cal should alternate QBs mid-drive. Therefore, the Bears should start Chavon Garbster.
89Bear
KoreAmBear said:

Completely agree with this AND Modster has shown an ability to throw a deep ball more often than not.
Short leash. Have Garbers ready.
MathTeacherMike
Is this a trick question?

Should we start the quarterback that just threw 4 touchdown passes, led the offense to its highest point total this season against a team that was favored by 7.5 points - or - start the quarterback coming off an injured shoulder who hasn't played in 6 weeks and, with the exception one one game, been extremely ineffective over the last year?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter because we are not facing the Wazoo defense, so I'm not confident any of our quarterbacks will look particularly good.
BerlinerBaer
Klindergoff said:

Cal should alternate QBs mid-drive. Therefore, the Bears should start Chavon Garbster.
Username checks out
dimitrig
BearGreg said:

And why?

Ordinarily, I would say Garbers. The incumbent should get his job back when he returns from injury. When Steph Curry comes back he is not going to come off the bench behind Jordan Poole.

That said, sometimes players do need to work themselves back into shape after an injury. It is not unheard of for a star to come off the bench when returning from time off due to injury.

Therefore, I would say that if Garbers can play at anything close to his usual level it should be Garbers. Otherwise, Modster should start until Garbers works his way back. Given that Garbers' injury is not that severe (not like he tore an ACL) I would lean towards letting Garbers start but giving him a short leash if he proves he is not yet 100%.

KoreAmBear
MathTeacherMike said:

Is this a trick question?

Should we start the quarterback that just threw 4 touchdown passes, led the offense to its highest point total this season against a team that was favored by 7.5 points - or - start the quarterback coming off an injured shoulder who hasn't played in 6 weeks and, with the exception one one game, been extremely ineffective over the last year?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter because we are not facing the Wazoo defense, so I'm not confident any of our quarterbacks will look particularly good.

I guess if you put it that way
GivemTheAxe
Hail2Calif said:

KoreAmBear said:

I agree. The O has been practicing this way for 5-6 weeks now and it seemed to come together on Saturday (albeit against WSU). If one of the most notable tweaks was a substantial reduction/elimination of the RPO element - is Garbers really going to run with no restriction (coaching/physical/mental) after his last play was a run?

Timing on the deeper balls seems to be improving as well (a lot of people have noted DM missed a wide-open receiver for a TD when under pressure - but he hit Crawford and Duncan early on big pass plays and had another potential big gainer hitting Clark in stride but for a drop).

It's a tough call. Neither has a huge body of work (or one could say each of their total body of work is not impressive) yet both of their most recent "full game starts" were by far their best individual performances.

If it were me, short of CLEAR separation by Garbers in practice, I'd start Modster on a fairly short leash.

If CG comes in for an ineffective DM, his entrance will generate a lot of goodwill and boost energy.

If we have to replace a rusty CG with DM, it creates the oh so enjoyable QB controversy

I agree that it is better to bring CG in to replace an ineffective Modster = no QB controversy.
Thank to bring DM to replace a rusty CG = QB controversy.
HungryCalBear
Whoever it is I hope coaches commit to one QB for a while and not keeping him on a leash. Don't want a repeat of last year constant swapping.
okaydo
The skinny young dude. Because he's a skinny dude who looks young.
tequila4kapp
I'll tell you Sunday morning
Big C
HungryCalBear said:

Whoever it is I hope coaches commit to one QB for a while and not keeping him on a leash. Don't want a repeat of last year constant swapping.
Yes and no. I also don't want the coaches to think they can't try somebody else for 2-3 series and then even switch back. This probably wouldn't be a good every-game strategy, but I don't think it hurts now and then.

Last season, we seemed to go from one extreme to the other, like when we stuck with Forrest in the Bowl Game (IIRC). They should have a relationship with the players where, if a guy sits out a couple of series, it's not going to damage his psyche.
72CalBear
Today Wilcox "hinted" it might be in fact Chase. He grinned and said he would announce Saturday?
calumnus
72CalBear said:

Today Wilcox "hinted" it might be in fact Chase. He grinned and said he would announce Saturday?

He is trying to give SC problems in preparing for us. Modster under center again is too obvious, so need to hint that it could be Garbers (and RPO).
Cal or nothing
Modster -- more practice reps and getting some starters back on the O-line and with the receivers along with his play are our best shot at a win. Garbers will be out of sink and rusty and against USC talent we can not have many 3 and outs - leaving the D on the field for extended periods.
BearsBowl
I believe Garbers will start.

My belief in founded in two observations. First, given Wilcox caution, if Garbers is "healthy", then he is good to go on Saturday. Second, Garbers showed in the Mississippi game he can make all the throws all over the field when given the freedom to make those throws- particularly over the middle. In the OSU game and the WSU games ALL Modster's passes were completed down the sideline.

Garbers beat the Toejams last year with his running.....I think he comes through both running and passing this year.

p.s. If memory servees me right, most of Modster's passes vs. us two years ago were fly patterns, flags or outs.
KoreAmBear
BearsBowl said:

I believe Garbers will start.

My belief in founded in two observations. First, given Wilcox caution, if Garbers is "healthy", then he is good to go on Saturday. Second, Garbers showed in the Mississippi game he can make all the throws all over the field when given the freedom to make those throws- particularly over the middle. In the OSU game and the WSU games ALL Modster's passes were completed down the sideline.

Garbers beat the Toejams last year with his running.....I think he comes through both running and passing this year.

p.s. If memory servees me right, most of Modster's passes vs. us two years ago were fly patterns, flags or outs.

Modster made two deep throws down the middle one dropped by Clark and one where Clark was behind the defender and Modster overthrew him. Also the tunnel screen to Polk was down the middle as was the two point conversion dropped by Clark. I agree we don't throw down the middle that much but you can't say ALL passes were to the sidelines. I still think Wilcox is taking a risk at stalling the offense rushing back a rusty Garbers. Even wasting 2-3 series to get his rust off is not worth it. They all are needed with our offense challenged team. I hope his talk of starting Garbers is a diversion, but I doubt it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.