Okay so what bowl do we go to?

12,366 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ColoradoBear
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I just looked up some bowl projections. Over at ESPN, both guys have us in the Redbox Bowl against either Iowa or Indiana. Collegefootballnews has us in the Redbox Bowl against Iowa. Those were posted after yesterday's games. Over at CBS Sports, they have us playing Boston College in the Sun Bowl. I'm not sure when that projection was made.
One of the ESPN guys has Redbox picking UW to face Indiana and us falling to the Vegas Bowl. He also has the 9-3 Hawkeyes going to one of the many B1G New Years' bowls - I'd assume that (as well as them not playing us) is a lock.

If we do get passed over by Redbox, I hope Wilcox uses that as a motivational chip for next season: "win 8-9 games so this doesn't happen again".
Do our guys even want to play in the Redbox? Wouldn't they rather get on a plane and travel somewhere together, even if it's El Paso?

Also, going off topic here, but is Redbox still an actual viable business? Do those vending machines still exist? How much longer before that bowl is called the Salesforce bowl.
Couldn't agree more. Why if you are in Berkeley would you want to go to Santa Clara for a Bowl Game? We may get more fans there but is it really a bowl, or a bus ride down the peninsula. And the stadium is garbage.
NVBear78
ducky23 said:

Bowl math has been simplified after tonight.

It really all depends on whether Utah makes playoffs OR if two pac 12 teams make an Ny6 game. (For instance if Oregon wins they go to rose, Utah will most likely play in an NY6 like cotton.

If the above scenario happens, cal is a near mortal lock for redbox (unless holiday takes cal instead - unlikely).

Playoffs/cotton - Utah
Rose - Oregon
Alamo - usc
Holiday - probably UW
Redbox - cal

-
If Utah wins and does not make the playoffs, then it becomes a little more interesting.

Rose - Utah
Alamo - Oregon
Holiday - SC

Redbox would then choose between UW and cal. With both having the same record, and cal being the local team, I have to believe they will choose cal. The only way redbox doesn't take cal is because UW is the brand name and may get better ratings. But every other factor favors cal.

But if they don't take cal, then cal will fall to Vegas. Asu is a 6 hour drive to El Paso, sun will take asu. (Only way this doesn't happen is because asu went to sun in 2017 - don't see that as a big enough factor)

To summarize

Redbox 70%
Vegas - 15%
Holiday 10%
Sun 5%

Ducky, thanks very much for this analysis. Go Bears!
Econ141
BerlinerBaer said:

Rushinbear said:

Cal84 said:

ducky23 said:

oskirules said:

Red Box can select ASU, then we'd end up at Sun Bowl.

Why would redbox pick asu over cal?
It's not even clear to me why the Holiday Bowl would pick UW over Cal. Same record. Cal beat UW. Closer Cal proximity could foreseeably mean more tix sales....

A lot of moving parts. Hard to predict...
Two reasons: UW has a bigger name (don't shoot the messenger) and UW fans travel - more restaurant and hotel business. Just sayin'.
Both schools have played in the Holiday Bowl in recent memory. The committee knows which fan base travels better. (I don't know honestly.)

I would think that more cal alums live in San Diego itself so - local alums + traveling fans = washington fans? Would love the holiday blwl?!
tequila4kapp
Iowa (low scoring games) and Indiana (really only beat soft competition) are projected to Redbox/Vegas. They would be good opponents for this team. Some projections have Michigan in the Holiday, which is not a great matchup for us.
NVBear78
tequila4kapp said:

Iowa (low scoring games) and Indiana (really only beat soft competition) are projected to Redbox/Vegas. They would be good opponents for this team. Some projections have Michigan in the Holiday, which is not a great matchup for us.

Is Boise obligated to a spot in the Vegas Bowl vs a PAC 12 school or could they go to a higher ranked bowl???
OdontoBear66
Give me a very, very good defensive team in whatever bowl we are in. I want the whole BB arguments to be over. Either he succeeds or fails. The last two weeks were very, very sweet, but not against two good defensive teams. Our team is back from injury and ready. So now, let all the excuses disappear.

Quite frankly, the players on the sideline seemed warm to BB which gives me pause...
tequila4kapp
NVBear78 said:

tequila4kapp said:

;Iowa (low scoring games) and Indiana (really only beat soft competition) are projected to Redbox/Vegas. They would be good opponents for this team. Some projections have Michigan in the Holiday, which is not a great matchup for us.

Is Boise obligated to a spot in the Vegas Bowl vs a PAC 12 school or could they go to a higher ranked bowl???
I have no idea, just going off what I remembered from the espn predictions (one of which did have us playing Boise)
AlmaSecreta
NVBear78 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Boise can go to a NY6 bowl but Memphis is ahead of them and they would need to rank high enough, which is possible.
Strykur
tequila4kapp said:

NVBear78 said:

tequila4kapp said:

;Iowa (low scoring games) and Indiana (really only beat soft competition) are projected to Redbox/Vegas. They would be good opponents for this team. Some projections have Michigan in the Holiday, which is not a great matchup for us.

I have no idea, just going off what I remembered from the espn predictions (one of which did have us playing Boise)
The Mountain West conference champion goes to Vegas by default, unless another bowl wants Boise and negotiates.
dimitrig

The physical DVD rental market is still $1.6B per year and Redbox has 60% of it or about $1B per year. That is down about half from what it was but they are still turning a profit. Long-term prospects are not good but for now they are still viable. One reason is that there are still way more titles on DVD and BluRay than are available streaming. Another is that Redbox is cheaper than renting new releases on-demand. Netflix DVD by mail service still has 2.7M subscribers.
GivemTheAxe
ducky23 said:

Bowl math has been simplified after tonight.

It really all depends on whether Utah makes playoffs OR if two pac 12 teams make an Ny6 game. (For instance if Oregon wins they go to rose, Utah will most likely play in an NY6 like cotton.

If the above scenario happens, cal is a near mortal lock for redbox (unless holiday takes cal instead - unlikely).

Playoffs/cotton - Utah
Rose - Oregon
Alamo - usc
Holiday - probably UW
Redbox - cal

-
If Utah wins and does not make the playoffs, then it becomes a little more interesting.

Rose - Utah
Alamo - Oregon
Holiday - SC

Redbox would then choose between UW and cal. With both having the same record, and cal being the local team, I have to believe they will choose cal. The only way redbox doesn't take cal is because UW is the brand name and may get better ratings. But every other factor favors cal.

But if they don't take cal, then cal will fall to Vegas. Asu is a 6 hour drive to El Paso, sun will take asu. (Only way this doesn't happen is because asu went to sun in 2017 - don't see that as a big enough factor)

To summarize

Redbox 70%
Vegas - 15%
Holiday 10%
Sun 5%

What are the dates of those games?
Sebastabear
510 Bear said:

If we do get passed over by Redbox, I hope Wilcox uses that as a motivational chip for next season: "win 8-9 games so this doesn't happen again".
As far as slogans go, I'm not so sure "Remember the Red Box Bowl!" has that real stirring motivational feel to it.
TheFiatLux
OdontoBear66 said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

I just looked up some bowl projections. Over at ESPN, both guys have us in the Redbox Bowl against either Iowa or Indiana. Collegefootballnews has us in the Redbox Bowl against Iowa. Those were posted after yesterday's games. Over at CBS Sports, they have us playing Boston College in the Sun Bowl. I'm not sure when that projection was made.
One of the ESPN guys has Redbox picking UW to face Indiana and us falling to the Vegas Bowl. He also has the 9-3 Hawkeyes going to one of the many B1G New Years' bowls - I'd assume that (as well as them not playing us) is a lock.

Do our guys even want to play in the Redbox? Wouldn't they rather get on a plane and travel somewhere together, even if it's El Paso?

Also, going off topic here, but is Redbox still an actual viable business? Do those vending machines still exist? How much longer before that bowl is called the Salesforce bowl.
Couldn't agree more. Why if you are in Berkeley would you want to go to Santa Clara for a Bowl Game? We may get more fans there but is it really a bowl, or a bus ride down the peninsula. And the stadium is garbage.

not sure if you were around, but the Foster Farms Bowl at ATT / PacBell was a BLAST and while it probably didn't bring in the hotel rooms The City was looking for, I distinctly remember the organizers saying it was a dream scenario for them, having Cal there. The place was packed, it was electric, like a big home game and the whole thing made Cal look great on National TV.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

510 Bear said:

As far as slogans go, I'm not so sure "Remember the Red Box Bowl!" has that real stirring motivational feel to it.
Also, not exactly Knute Rockne-esque, is it!!

"COME ON BOYS!! WE'RE GOING TO GO OUT THERE AND LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD! WE'LL HIT 'EM FROM THE LEFT. WE'LL HIM 'EM FROM THE RIGHT. WE'LL PASS, WE'LL RUN, WE'LL STUFF THEM ON DEFENSE. NOW LET'S GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT FOR 8-9 WINS SO WE CAN AVOID THE REDBOX BOWL!!! "

I say we go ahead and shoot for 11-12 wins...
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

OdontoBear66 said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

not sure if you were around, but the Foster Farms Bowl at ATT / PacBell was a BLAST and while it probably didn't bring in the hotel rooms The City was looking for, I distinctly remember the organizers saying it was a dream scenario for them, having Cal there. The place was packed, it was electric, like a big home game and the whole thing made Cal look great on National TV.
True that. That was a great bowl, although i believe it was called the Emerald Bowl (after Emerald Nuts) back then. Only know that because I have a few Emerald Bowl "Cal Vs Miami" pins from that. How the mighty have fallen.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
HoopDreams
Especially after redbox goes the way of blockbuster

Sebastabear said:

510 Bear said:

bearsandgiants
Guarantee if the Holiday Bowl was Cal vs. Michigan they would sell the place out. I would fly from anywhere to see that game, as would many others. Can't say that would be the case if it were Washington or ASU vs. Michigan.
OdontoBear66
OK, I looked over bowl projections this AM and it looks like Vegas would pretty likely be Boise State (yuk), and most projections would have us playing earlier in the month. So, with the likelihood of Iowa in the Santa Clara bowl on Dec 30, we not only get a good opponent for a final test for BB (Iowa plays pretty tasty defense), and a date late in the month for tons of practice. That would put me all in for the local bowl.
calftball
I cant speak for the game day experience at the Sun Bowl, but I have seen it close up and it is a beautiful venue.
Also, There are lots of great side trips around El Paso such as White Sands NP and Las Cruces/Mesilla
Probably one of the best road trips was Nw Mexico State a while back.
YamhillBear
dimitrig said:

... Netflix DVD by mail service still has 2.7M subscribers.
Of course about 2.5M of them are ones who long ago quit using the service and forgot to cancel...
smh
YamhillBear said:

dimitrig said:

Of course about 2.5M of them are ones who long ago quit using the service and forgot to cancel...
(off topic sports, duh) we subscribe nf by mail for the outlier titles unavailable from the mostly hid in plain sight free public library stacks. only minor gripe is how often nf dvds are missing the bonus content.
# get off my lawn
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
sycasey
smh said:

YamhillBear said:

dimitrig said:

(off topic sports, duh) we subscribe nf by mail for the outlier titles unavailable from the mostly hid in plain sight free public library stacks. only minor gripe is how often nf dvds are missing the bonus content.
# get off my lawn
Yup, I kept the Netflix mail service because the selection is still larger than any other service.
smh
> And the stadium is garbage.

yeahbut, garbage some of us never had an excuse to see before, nor will again.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
TheFiatLux
ducky23 said:

89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

I was wondering that same thing about the players and their preference. Wondering if the Mods can give some insight maybe based on players in the past? Do players prefer getting on a plane and going somewhere for a bowl?

I think I can safely say the players wouldn't mind a trip to Vegas
Actually it's not a great trip for them for the bowl. They don't really get to enjoy itt. They will be doing finals the week of preparation from their hotel (and studying of course). The good aspect is it's over before Christmas. RedBox bowl sucks because the guys understandably want to travel to a bowl game (even if most of their time is spent in hotel rooms)

I get the sense from the players I know past and present that the Holiday Bowl is clearly the bowl of choice.

KoreAmBear
TheFiatLux said:

ducky23 said:

89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

I was wondering that same thing about the players and their preference. Wondering if the Mods can give some insight maybe based on players in the past? Do players prefer getting on a plane and going somewhere for a bowl?

Actually it's not a great trip for them for the bowl. They don't really get to enjoy itt. They will be doing finals the week of preparation from their hotel (and studying of course). The good aspect is it's over before Christmas. RedBox bowl sucks because the guys understandably want to travel to a bowl game (even if most of their time is spent in hotel rooms)

I get the sense from the players I know past and present that the Holiday Bowl is clearly the bowl of choice.

It's also the chance to play Michigan or Iowa. Sounds better than Indiana or Illinois. Both Red Box and Holiday have their merits. But I full agree with you, Qualcomm is just horrible.

In 2004 I drove down from LA to get to the Holiday Bowl. I shouldn't have driven day of (and since I lived in Pasadena, I saw Texas fans in town which made me angry and sad - sad I had to drive down South to see our bowl game against Texas Tech), but I think it took me more than 3 hours which normally takes 2 and change. The parking there is just unbelievably congested and disorganized, Game already started. So I parked like a mile or two away in a residential area. I somehow found a cab and rode over to the stadium so I didn't miss more game. I got there to meet my friends right before halftime. Then we lost. Then the 2 hour drive home, tired as hell and depressed even more to face more Texas fans in my neighborhood. Such is life as a Cal fan.
sandiegobears
I recall your travails...happened to my friends too, but somehow they were early enough for a tailgate. Wasn't there some huge accident that day? I always suggest to people to go the extra 15 to 20 miles east on I-10 or I-60, then take I-15 south, and plan to arrive about 2 to 3 hours *before* game time, you will zoom right in. And of course, park near the exit. One can always shoot off I-15 to I-163, get off at Friars, park at Hazard Center, grab the trolley. All in all, it's not a great experience if driving in for the day. Best bet, come the day before and stay downtown.

All that being said, the Holiday Bowl committee people most prefer teams that haven't been here in awhile. In order, that would be UW, then Cal, then USC. Obviously, it will greatly depend on the Utah situation, but if they go to playoffs, I sense it will be UW over Cal, and that seems fine with most as Redbox isn't that bad. But if Utah drops to Rose, then certainly USC will be here over Cal or UW, and then it gets dicey. I generally agree with Ducky23's analysis above.
72CalBear
I booked rooms in Santa Clara for our Long Beach crowd. Go Bears!!
KoreAmBear
sandiegobears said:

I recall your travails...happened to my friends too, but somehow they were early enough for a tailgate. Wasn't there some huge accident that day? I always suggest to people to go the extra 15 to 20 miles east on I-10 or I-60, then take I-15 south, and plan to arrive about 2 to 3 hours *before* game time, you will zoom right in. And of course, park near the exit. One can always shoot off I-15 to I-163, get off at Friars, park at Hazard Center, grab the trolley. All in all, it's not a great experience if driving in for the day. Best bet, come the day before and stay downtown.

All that being said, the Holiday Bowl committee people most prefer teams that haven't been here in awhile. In order, that would be UW, then Cal, then USC. Obviously, it will greatly depend on the Utah situation, but if they go to playoffs, I sense it will be UW over Cal, and that seems fine with most as Redbox isn't that bad. But if Utah drops to Rose, then certainly USC will be here over Cal or UW, and then it gets dicey. I generally agree with Ducky23's analysis above.
Yah I was too foolishly ambitious to work half day and head down without researching the best paths (and no Waze back then lol). Should have stayed in SD and trolly'ed it in. Could drink without worries then either. Such a sad outcome from us starting from the news that we weren't going to the RB.
BearsWiin
KoreAmBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

ducky23 said:

89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

It's also the chance to play Michigan or Iowa. Sounds better than Indiana or Illinois. Both Red Box and Holiday have their merits. But I full agree with you, Qualcomm is just horrible.

In 2004 I drove down from LA to get to the Holiday Bowl. I shouldn't have driven day of (and since I lived in Pasadena, I saw Texas fans in town which made me angry and sad - sad I had to drive down South to see our bowl game against Texas Tech), but I think it took me more than 3 hours which normally takes 2 and change. The parking there is just unbelievably congested and disorganized, Game already started. So I parked like a mile or two away in a residential area. I somehow found a cab and rode over to the stadium so I didn't miss more game. I got there to meet my friends right before halftime. Then we lost. Then the 2 hour drive home, tired as hell and depressed even more to face more Texas fans in my neighborhood. Such is life as a Cal fan.
In 2004 I drove down from Santa Cruz and got to the stadium 90 minutes before gametime, then proceeded to sit in traffic on the street right outside the parking lot because the Event Staff didn't know what they were doing. Finally got into the parking lot, asked the yellowjackets where I could park, they shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know, so I sped off to some remote portion of the lot because I figured my chances were best waay out somewhere. Missed the first half of the first quarter. Vowed I'd never go to the Holiday Bowl again, regretted my obstinacy two years later
KoreAmBear
BearsWiin said:

KoreAmBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

ducky23 said:

89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

In 2004 I drove down from Santa Cruz and got to the stadium 90 minutes before gametime, then proceeded to sit in traffic on the street right outside the parking lot because the Event Staff didn't know what they were doing. Finally got into the parking lot, asked the yellowjackets where I could park, they shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know, so I sped off to some remote portion of the lot because I figured my chances were best waay out somewhere. Missed the first half of the first quarter. Vowed I'd never go to the Holiday Bowl again, regretted my obstinacy two years later
Well at least that was a better outcome over another Texas team.
dimitrig

My experience at the Holiday Bowl wasn't bad at all. I drove down from Pasadena, picked up my nephew in northern San Diego, and we went to the game. Parking was straightforward. Got there a little bit early and managed to hear the Cal Band play. Picked up some food, found our seats, and saw all the pre-game activities. Of course, it was all downhill from there...
Golden One
dimitrig said:

My experience at the Holiday Bowl wasn't bad at all. I drove down from Pasadena, picked up my nephew in northern San Diego, and we went to the game. Parking was straightforward. Got there a little bit early and managed to hear the Cal Band play. Picked up some food, found our seats, and saw all the pre-game activities. Of course, it was all downhill from there...

I went to both the Holiday Bowl game against Texas Tech and the game against Texas A&M. Drove there early for the first game to attend the Cal Alumni Assn. tailgate party staged in the parking lot adjacent to the stadium. Parked near an exit and had no problem getting to or exiting from the game.

For the second game I took the trolley, and that was a big mistake. Getting to the stadium was fine. But leaving was a nightmare. Had to stand in line for over an hour and the trolley was packed shoulder-to-shoulder. Would never go that route again.
BearSD
Taking the trolley is fine, even after the game, as long as you hang around inside the stadium for awhile instead of rushing into the line. Much better than driving there.

If you're going to a Holiday Bowl from out of town, stay downtown and take the trolley. (Living here, I like to eat in Old Town or downtown before going to the stadium, leave the car there and take the trolley.) If you can't stand being on a crowded trolley car after the game, take a lyft or uber back to your hotel.
FuzzyWuzzy
BearsWiin said:

KoreAmBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

ducky23 said:

89Bear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

510 Bear said:

Similar. Sat in traffic outside the stadium forever. I learned that they only opened ONE entrance out of a half dozen entrances to the parking lot before the game. WHY would they do that? Missed my tailgate, arrived at my seats middle second quarter. Worst football experience ever, and I vowed never again.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.