Chris Petersen resigns

11,660 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Looperbear
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA
How long do you want to ignore this user?

A day in the life of Chris Petersen, UW coach.

Takeaways:

1. CP is a cool cat, and it's no wonder he's been so successful.
2. UW seems like a sweet gig and a real threat to poach our coaches.
3. Being a HC is pretty demanding. It should be no surprise that they need to unplug from that life and recharge once in a while.

It's telling how he wasn't able to squeeze in a workout the day the video was filmed. CP appears to be in good shape, but it's no wonder guys like Tedford and Meyer can let their health situations get out of control.
ColoradoBear
59bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

***? Wow. How fast can we start poaching their recruits? Do we want Garbers part deux?
How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon who is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.
IIRC. the UW QB Sirmon is Peter's nephew. Pete Kwiatkowski, of course, has been a co-DC with Lake and could stay on in that capacity but they might still want Peter Sirmon as a defensive assistant. Almost certainly there will be a replacement body on the UW staff as Lake moves up.

Plus Sirmon played with Wilcox at Oregon. I don't see him leaving, but if he does it will be for a lot of money (which I wouldn't think we should pay anyway).

I'd be far more worried that with all the shared connections, UW would look at similar OC's and be able to pay more.
MathTeacherMike
BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
It was said to have been between him and JW for Cal. He's gonna do ok, altho you never want to follow a successful hc (Shaw has been the exception).

Lincoln Riley is doing very well following Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.

And Ryan Day (#1 ranked OSU), Dabo Sweeny and Justin Wilcox. Being a former HC is not a prerequisite for success.
cal83dls79
Just wow
bonsallbear
ColoradoBear said:

Quick trigger on that contract, unless those involved have known and been working on it for a bit of time now...

Two p12 titles and 3 total ny6 bowls in 6 years - and more than $20 million earned - for Petersen. If the guy wants to relax and not deal with delusional Huskies fans, he's more than earned it.

UW seems to have freed up money in this deal - if I'm them a throw well over a million at a top OC to get things started right. Get him in place before bowl practice to capitalize on the time. I suggest cutty sark!
I suggest Tosh as OC.
GBear4Life
MathTeacherMike said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
It was said to have been between him and JW for Cal. He's gonna do ok, altho you never want to follow a successful hc (Shaw has been the exception).

And Ryan Day (#1 ranked OSU), Dabo Sweeny and Justin Wilcox. Being a former HC is not a prerequisite for success.
And being a bad coach is not a requisite for failure, and being a good coach is not a requisite for success
Blueblood
GBear4Life said:

And being a bad coach is not a requisite for failure, and being a good coach is not a requisite for success

"Oh dear, Petersen resigned.
I feel a big cry a'comin'!"
GBear4Life
bipolarbear said:

510 Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

And I didn't see the word "interim" in that press release. Makes me wonder what in the heck is going on up there.
If you read their boards, they love Jimmy Lake up there.
Well they were #1 in team defense three years straight until 2019. As soon as the defense dips, fans will concoct a narrative where he's becoming a worse coach.

I mean, some Bama fans now think "Bama is a program in decline" and "Saban is losing it"...
Blueblood
GBear4Life said:

Well they were #1 in team defense three years straight until 2019. As soon as the defense dips, fans will concoct a narrative where he's becoming a worse coach.

I mean, some Bama fans now think "Bama is a program in decline" and "Saban is losing it"...

"What? You say 'Saban is losing
it!' Oh, I could just cry! "
71Bear
MathTeacherMike said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

I would not characterize either Tommy Bowden or Sonny Dykes as "successful" at Clemson and Cal respectively.
drizzlybears brother
tequila4kapp said:

LunchTime said:

tequila4kapp said:

I am not sure having been a HC makes you a good HC.

Peterson was as proven a coach as Saban or Meyer was before their moves out of the midmajors. He had those three 10+ win seasons with Washington, but walks away at 54-26. I'd take it, but I think UW wants more.

Willingham Gilby and Neuheisel were all head coaches. They all stunk. It seems to me that they are as likely to succeed with a assistant hire or promotion as trying to snag a proven coach, or poach another teams HC.

Maybe Washington is where talented and talentless alike go to die.
That doesn't guarantee the person will succeed, but there is clearly less risk selecting someone that has been a HC because they have a track record doing the exact job you are hiring for.

Schools with certain profiles accept that risk for a variety of reasons. Schools like UW, who claim to aspire for national championships, etc. should be taking some time to make sure they are making the right hire, not just quickly fill the spot from within because the guy is well liked.

Gilbertson stunk at Cal. UW should have known better but they followed the kind of thinking they are using now with the Lake hire.

Neuhseisel didn't exactly stink, but he wasn't as good as UW normally wants (1 RB, 2 Holiday bowls, etc.).
You may be right, but why would you assume this wasn't thought out and pre-planned? The speed with which it was completed suggests plenty of premeditation.
BearSD
Lake's head coaching contract was completed before today's announcement. Petersen didn't just decide to resign last night and tell the AD this morning.
BerlinerBaer
71Bear said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

There have been quite a few over the years, particularly at powerhouse programs.

The best that I remember is Tom Osborne following Bob Devaney at Nebraska.

Chip Kelly succeeding Belotti up at Nike U
tequila4kapp
1CalFan
ducky23 said:

tequila4kapp said:

That was my first reaction as well.

I can see someone like cal taking a chance on a guy like Wilcox. But you would think Uw would at least see if they could get one of the top names (like fleck, etc).

This was probably petersen's desired successor and UW just decided to go with it, I guess
What does UW know about quality HCs - they hired Gilbertson. Hope that Lake is more like Gilby
going4roses
When he didn't shake Wilcox hand post game I got feeling something was off ... I am not surprised at all.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
heartofthebear
Strykur said:

We ended that man's career!
Kharma for not taking the Cal job
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

***? Wow. How fast can we start poaching their recruits? Do we want Garbers part deux?
How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon who is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.
They only have one opening (Lake via Petersen). Therefore, they can only hire one coach.
Was thinking one or the other. Sirmon may be too much of a conflict of interest for Lake with the relative competing for the QB position. They do have a co-DB coach they could upgrade and not take GA. But my understanding is GA and Lake are close, so the concern is more with GA and some mod types have expressed that concern. Should. be an interesting couple of weeks for Wilcox on the recruiting and coaching staff sides.
FuzzyWuzzy
going4roses said:

When he didn't shake Wilcox hand post game I got feeling something was off ... I am not surprised at all.

Who didn't shake hands with Wilcox, Pete?
going4roses
Yes
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Oski87
wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon whose son is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.
The UW Assistant DB coach is moving to the DB coach and Kwiatkowski is moving to DC, so there is no reason for any Cal coach to be poached by Lake, unless it is offensive. Their offense is pretty mediocre as well, so I would imagine they will be using the money freed up to get some pep in their offensive coaching side of things.
southseasbear
BerlinerBaer said:

71Bear said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

There have been quite a few over the years, particularly at powerhouse programs.

Terry Donahue succeeding Dick Vermeil at Southern Branch.
John Robinson succeeding John McKay at USC.
Looperbear
southseasbear said:

BerlinerBaer said:

71Bear said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Terry Donahue succeeding Dick Vermeil at Southern Branch.
John Robinson succeeding John McKay at USC.
Mariucci succeeding Snyder. F'in Bockrath!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.