Chris Petersen resigns

11,645 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Looperbear
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hanky1 said:

He may not be the last one. There have been rumors that Kyle Whittingham may retire soon as well.
No way. He just signed a $22 million five year extension before the 2019 season. He finally has things rolling in Salt Lake. Why would he give that up?
BearSD
Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
It was said to have been between him and JW for Cal. He's gonna do ok, altho you never want to follow a successful hc (Shaw has been the exception).

Lincoln Riley is doing very well following Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.
71Bear
ducky23 said:

I wonder if cal had even a small hand in this?

Remember it looked like a done deal that lake was coming to cal (I forget the exact details). But then UW got him to stay. I wonder if part of that package was a promise that he would succeed if/when Petersen quit
Every year since then, they have given Lake a bit more cash and responsibility. I suspect that he has been the heir apparent for some time.....
hanky1
71Bear said:

hanky1 said:

He may not be the last one. There have been rumors that Kyle Whittingham may retire soon as well.
No way. He just signed a $22 million five year extension before the 2019 season. He finally has things rolling in Salt Lake. Why would he give that up?

He's stated in the past he doesn't want to coach past 60. Not sure how serious those comments were. I wouldn't count on him retiring but there's chatter from Utah about it.
71Bear
BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Insta-promoting Jimmy Lake seems like a bit of a desperation or short sighted move. The guy has never been a HC before.
It was said to have been between him and JW for Cal. He's gonna do ok, altho you never want to follow a successful hc (Shaw has been the exception).

There have been quite a few over the years, particularly at powerhouse programs.

The best that I remember is Tom Osborne following Bob Devaney at Nebraska.
NYCGOBEARS
hanky1 said:

That would explain their lack of recruiting success this year.
Bear_Territory
Any chance we can pick up some Washington recruits?
71Bear
Bear_Territory said:

Unlikely since the transition is to a strong existing staff member.
NYCGOBEARS
Bear_Territory said:

It seems like Lake was doing the heavy lifting there recruiting wise, so I'd be surprised if there's a mass exodus.
71Bear
hanky1 said:

71Bear said:

hanky1 said:

He's stated in the past he doesn't want to coach past 60. Not sure how serious those comments were. I wouldn't count on him retiring but there's chatter from Utah about it.
I can certainly see him retiring once he completes his current contract.
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS said:

Bear_Territory said:

It seems like Lake was doing the heavy lifting there recruiting wise, so I'd be surprised if there's a mass exodus.

I think you're right about that. I'd be surprised if their class didn't stay mostly in tact.

If you want players, go to Ole Mjss. An offensive lineman said that half the team would leave because of Luke's firing...and that If the rest of the staff isn't retained, almost everyone would leave. Probably an emotional over-statement but regardless, they have problems in Oxfurd.
okaydo
BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Ryan Day, who is 2 and a half years younger than Wilcox, appears to be doing fine at Ohio State.

Jimmy Lake, by the way, is 35 days younger than Wilcox.
KoreAmBear
Let's get UW and UCLA recruits to flip. We owe them plenty.
FloriDreaming
BearsWiin said:

Cal may need to make some strong commitments to its own coaching staff in the days/weeks to come

Lake will come cheaper than Petersen, which may free up some funding to throw at the rest of their staff
Apart from the coaches on defense, UW can take any assistants they want.

If Baldwin really is a great coach who just needs talent to succeed, UW would be the perfect fit.

We'll throw in our ST coordinator - maybe he's good at running Power Point and cleaning water coolers. Or he can walk the new HC's dogs when the team travels to road games. Not good coaching Special Teams, but I think UW has that covered. Could always use an extra pair of hands to wave a towel or something.
BearsWiin
Uthaithani said:

BearsWiin said:

Cal may need to make some strong commitments to its own coaching staff in the days/weeks to come

Lake will come cheaper than Petersen, which may free up some funding to throw at the rest of their staff

If Baldwin really is a great coach who just needs talent to succeed, UW would be the perfect fit.

We'll throw in our ST coordinator - maybe he's good at running Power Point and cleaning water coolers. Or he can walk the new HC's dogs when the team travels to road games. Not good coaching Special Teams, but I think UW has that covered. Could always use an extra pair of hands to wave a towel or something.
I was thinking of Sirmon and Alexander
LACalFan
Uthaithani said:

BearsWiin said:

Ragle is a good coach and he's great at something else crucial to the program's success. I have a hunch that this season's ST issues are an aberration.
SFCityBear
Strykur said:

We ended that man's career!
In coaching, a career is not usually one job and you are done. Unless you are Wyking Jones (just a prediction). Or more germane to the topic of football, Cal has had their share of one job and done head football coaches: Holmoe, Kapp, Theder, and Wilsey. I'd predict Petersen will be back some time in the future.
bearsandgiants
Just one more reason why he should have come to Cal. The fans up there are like Philly fans. Ruthless. If he'd come here, he could have half-arsed it and coasted for 10 years.
SFCityBear
bearsandgiants said:

Just one more reason why he should have come to Cal. The fans up there are like Philly fans. Ruthless. If he'd come here, he could have half-arsed it and coasted for 10 years.
That could still happen.
Rushinbear
B.A. Bearacus said:

GoBears89 said:

WOW!!! I hope he's not being lured for the SC job!

He said he wanted to take a break from head coaching to recharge. Given his character, he's not going to betray that stated rationale to coach another team right away.
He has looked tired on the sidelines.
clawman
Take time before time takes you
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

There have been quite a few over the years, particularly at powerhouse programs.

The best that I remember is Tom Osborne following Bob Devaney at Nebraska.

Well, y'all got me there. I knew I could count on you. Maybe I should have added what I was thinking (what was I thinking?) that it applies much more to those whose inherited players runs out. With their own guys, there are fewer who do well.
LunchTime
tequila4kapp said:

I am not sure having been a HC makes you a good HC.

Peterson was as proven a coach as Saban or Meyer was before their moves out of the midmajors. He had those three 10+ win seasons with Washington, but walks away at 54-26. I'd take it, but I think UW wants more.

Willingham Gilby and Neuheisel were all head coaches. They all stunk. It seems to me that they are as likely to succeed with a assistant hire or promotion as trying to snag a proven coach, or poach another teams HC.

Maybe Washington is where talented and talentless alike go to die.
B.A. Bearacus
clawman said:

Take time before time takes you
Bear19
59bear said:

Makes the careers of guys like Saban, Bobby Bowden, Paterno, Bryant et al look all the more remarkable.He's been a class act his whole career.
Petersen is has distinguished himself from these other coaches by running a relatively clean program. None of the coaches you noted can make the same claim with any credibility.
Bear19
That's funny, a absolutely what happened.
tequila4kapp
LunchTime said:

tequila4kapp said:

I am not sure having been a HC makes you a good HC.

Peterson was as proven a coach as Saban or Meyer was before their moves out of the midmajors. He had those three 10+ win seasons with Washington, but walks away at 54-26. I'd take it, but I think UW wants more.

Willingham Gilby and Neuheisel were all head coaches. They all stunk. It seems to me that they are as likely to succeed with a assistant hire or promotion as trying to snag a proven coach, or poach another teams HC.

Maybe Washington is where talented and talentless alike go to die.
That doesn't guarantee the person will succeed, but there is clearly less risk selecting someone that has been a HC because they have a track record doing the exact job you are hiring for.

Schools with certain profiles accept that risk for a variety of reasons. Schools like UW, who claim to aspire for national championships, etc. should be taking some time to make sure they are making the right hire, not just quickly fill the spot from within because the guy is well liked.

Gilbertson stunk at Cal. UW should have known better but they followed the kind of thinking they are using now with the Lake hire.

Neuhseisel didn't exactly stink, but he wasn't as good as UW normally wants (1 RB, 2 Holiday bowls, etc.).
Bear19
Welcome back, Uth. Was genuinely hoping you hadn't walked away for good. Wins over furd, uc la do help assuage the feelings of total despair. The Cal S&C coach's proposed new duties at WA made me laugh.
wifeisafurd
burritos said:

***? Wow. How fast can we start poaching their recruits? Do we want Garbers part deux?
How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon whose son is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.
bipolarbear
Rushinbear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

GoBears89 said:

WOW!!! I hope he's not being lured for the SC job!

He said he wanted to take a break from head coaching to recharge. Given his character, he's not going to betray that stated rationale to coach another team right away.
He has looked tired on the sidelines.
He never looked like he was having any fun.
AlmaSecreta
wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

***? Wow. How fast can we start poaching their recruits? Do we want Garbers part deux?
How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon who is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.

This is what I was thinking too. It's scary to think this. And the huskies expect to be looking for an offensive staff too.
Bear19
hanky1 said:

Whittingham certainly has not looked like he was enjoying any part of coaching in the TV shots I've seen of him this year.
59bear
wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

How fast can you say poaching our defensive coaches (particular GA who is close to Lake) and thus our recruits.. Or maybe Sirmon who is a QB at Udub. This is not good for Cal. Should be a good test for Wilcox.
IIRC. the UW QB Sirmon is Peter's nephew. Pete Kwiatkowski, of course, has been a co-DC with Lake and could stay on in that capacity but they might still want Peter Sirmon as a defensive assistant. Almost certainly there will be a replacement body on the UW staff as Lake moves up.
oski003
wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

Do they have any boats left to hand out?
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

burritos said:

They only have one opening (Lake via Petersen). Therefore, they can only hire one coach.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.