2019 Coaching Carousel

9,699 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by petalumabear
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Figured we'd try to corral all of the coaching move chat here. Monday after thanksgiving and we're already off to a blazing start.

Petersen resigns
Leach in the mix possibly at Arky and Ole Miss?
Seth Littrell blows out his coordinators
Graham Harrell interested in Texas OC
Will Jelly stay at UCLA? Staff changes?

Wild ride coming....

71Bear
TheSouseFamily said:

Figured we'd try to corral all of the coaching move chat here. Monday after thanksgiving and we're already off to a blazing start.

Petersen resigns
Leach in the mix possibly at Arky and Ole Miss?
Seth Littrell blows out his coordinators
Graham Harrell interested in Texas OC
Will Jelly stay at UCLA? Staff changes?

Wild ride coming....

More FBS head coach terminations

Odom - Mizzou
Addazio - BC
Wilson - UTSA
Strong - So. Florida
Sanchez - UNLV
Wilder - Old Dominion

Head Coach Hirings

Schiano - Rutgers

And germane to Cal - Cal Poly's coach resigned. The Mustangs play Cal next season.

TheSouseFamily
GoBears89
Plus, HC & asst positions open at....

Florida State
Ole Miss
Mizzou
Boston College
U South Florida
Arkansas
New Mexico
UNLV
U$C (?????)

ASU looking for OC
UofA looking for DC
Texas looking for OC & DC
Washington probably looking for a new DC as well

71Bear
GoBears89 said:

Plus, HC & asst positions open at....

Florida State
Ole Miss
Mizzou
Boston College
U South Florida
Arkansas
New Mexico
UNLV
U$C (?????)

ASU looking for OC
UofA looking for DC
Texas looking for OC & DC
Washington probably looking for a new DC as well

Kwiatkowski was a co-DC with Lake at UW. He probably becomes the sole DC.
drizzlybears brother
71Bear said:

Kwiatkowski was a co-DC with Lake at UW. He probably becomes the sole DC.
That's my understanding.
WavyBear
Maybe Baldwin could get the Cal Poly job.
TheSouseFamily
wifeisafurd
TheSouseFamily said:

won't have to worry about getting good seats at the Masoleum next year. I don't think the two newbies making the decision have any clue how unhappy SC rooters actually are at this juncture. But they will find out.
tequila4kapp
wifeisafurd said:

TheSouseFamily said:

A
won't have to worry about getting good seats at the Masoleum next year. I don't think the two newbies making the decision have any clue how unhappy SC rooters actually are at this juncture. But they will find out.
Which is interesting because Helton hasn't been bad (42-21 overall and 31-12 in conference) just not as excellent as SC honks think they should be but haven't been since Pete Carol cheated
dimitrig
tequila4kapp said:

Which is interesting because Helton hasn't been bad (42-21 overall and 31-12 in conference) just not as excellent as SC honks think they should be but haven't been since Pete Carol cheated

He's obviously not cheating up to USC standards - and they have very high standards for cheating!
hanky1
Arkansas interviewing Mike Leach
m2bear
hanky1 said:

Link ?
GoBears89
m2bear said:

hanky1 said:

Link ?
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/report-sec-team-recently-met-with-mike-leach/
TheSouseFamily
Busy guy.

TheSouseFamily

Cal84
Some people saying Arky should hire Joey Freshwater. That would be a blast.

But as far as Pirate Boy goes, I actually think it might be better for us if he stays here in P12 land. He makes WSU competitive, but I think from here on out it's likely a win for us each year - a win that looks like a quality win. Now some may doubt that WSU is a win for us each year, but that would lead us into a long discussion about Air Raid, why Wilcox will never install an Air Raid system, etc. For now, I at least, enjoy having Pirate Boy in our conference.
Cal84
Joey Freshwater to Ole Miss! Giggle time sure to ensue...
Cal84
So I believe the correct path from here going forward looks something like: Freshwater lands in Oxford. Causes excitement and apprehension in equal amounts. Pulls off some big victories including a huge win vs. Saban in year 2 of his tenure. But is unable to get Ole Miss above 7 regular season wins. Eventually flames out in epic and truly Freshwater fashion after his cell phone is bugged and leaks show he was consorting with a super hot blonde exchange student from Lebanon who Joey claims is actually an ISIS plant sent to sabotage him. It turns out she was actually sending the Ole Miss playbook to Mississippi State. I mean its gotta be something on that level of ridiculousness, right?

Fired from Ole Miss, Freshwater then lands at .... Fresno State, which endured 3 years of losing seasons after Tedfords departure and is desperate. Says Joey upon his arrival, "It's soooo good to be back at my alma mater. I am going to recruit the hell out of this state!' Two weeks later he is tagged for minor recruiting violations by the NCAA....
TheSouseFamily
Shaw on the move?

GBear4Life
It's caused massive job insecurity at a given university, but coaches (especially young ones) will tell you they LOVE the arms race and coaching carousel. The ladder to the top has gotten shorter in both time and steps -- the upward mobility is tremendous compared to 30 years ago. The only drawback is you may have to move a lot to do it.

Ryan Day was Chip Kelly's QB coach with the Niners like 4 years ago now he's got one of the top HC jobs in NCAA lmao.

And the massive carousel leading to high vacancies that just trickles down (and up) creates this perception that coaches are "building up" or "getting promoted".

Graham Harrel spends one year at USC after 3 years as coordinator at N Texas and he's now HC ready. Just the perception of him being at USC one year is all it took
petalumabear
TheSouseFamily said:

Shaw on the move?

with what 4 players from the Furd in the portal now the getting out might be the smart thing to do as it appears that the whole Furd myth is rapidly becoming a myth. Go East snarky man, go east!!
GBear4Life
I remember him from his days at ASU as OC. During the Pac-12 network documentary series in 2013, I remember liking him.

"Welcome to FSU Mike Norvell. We'll fire you after 16 games if you don't win!"
GoldenBear1
Shaw will never leave Stanford, it's cushy and comfortable. Zero media/fan attention/scrutiny. He's not a pro coach and not even a great college coach.
Stanford recruits the kids that want to go to a place like that from private high schools with or without Shaw.
UrsineMaximus
Mcallan Castles is transferring to UC Davis?? I wonder who his adviser(s) is?

https://247sports.com/college/california/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/
GBear4Life
GoldenBear1 said:

Shaw will never leave Stanford, it's cushy and comfortable. Zero media/fan attention/scrutiny. He's not a pro coach and not even a great college coach.
Stanford recruits the kids that want to go to a place like that from private high schools with or without Shaw.
This is just unabashed Stanford hate.

Kids go to Stanford cuz Stanford? Were you in a coma before the Harbaugh era?

Who knows if he's a good coach and CEO. He certainly sustained Stanford's success for a while after Harbaugh left. But I suppose that's all on Harbaugh. And should Stanford collapse immediately after Harbaugh, it would be used to say the HC sucks.
hanky1
Ole Miss - Joey Freshwater
Arkansas - Sam Pittman (Georgia Oline Coach)
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
Florida State - Mike Norvell (Memphis HC)
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz (App State)
Washington - Jimmy Lake
UrsineMaximus
hanky1 said:

Ole Miss - Joey Freshwater
Arkansas - Sam Pittman (Georgia Oline Coach)
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
Florida State - Mike Norvell (Memphis HC)
Missouri - Eli Drinkwitz (App State)
Washington - Jimmy Lake

It's the OC's and DC's along with the position coaches I'm concerned about (poaching from Cal, or in the former please DO!!).
calumnus
petalumabear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Shaw on the move?

with what 4 players from the Furd in the portal now the getting out might be the smart thing to do as it appears that the whole Furd myth is rapidly becoming a myth. Go East snarky man, go east!!

Plus the exiting last year amongst allegations since hushed up of the S&C staff that came in under Harbaugh, with a noticeable drop off in Stanford player size, strength and durability.
LateHit
$c opens against Alabama in Texas next September.
Warm up the interim.
LACalFan
calumnus said:

petalumabear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Shaw on the move?

Plus the exiting last year amongst allegations since hushed up of the S&C staff that came in under Harbaugh, with a noticeable drop off in Stanford player size, strength and durability.
That slipped through my radar. Tell me more. Are you telling me it was more than a glove???
tequila4kapp
GoldenBear1 said:

it's cushy and comfortable.
True
Quote:

Zero media/fan attention/scrutiny.
True

Quote:

He's not a pro coach and not even a great college coach.
He's like 50 games over .500 over a 9 year stint. His worst record before this season is 8-5. Seems pretty damn good to me.

Quote:

Stanford recruits the kids that want to go to a place like that from private high schools with or without Shaw
Not sure what the private HS reference has to do with anything. That aside, Furd does have a nice advantage with certain positions seemingly having plenty of kids that profile nicely for their academic demographic.
calgo430
mike leach is one of the great characters in college football great coach. wazoo is lucky to have him.
calumnus
LACalFan said:

calumnus said:

petalumabear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Shaw on the move?

That slipped through my radar. Tell me more. Are you telling me it was more than a glove???

One of many articles:

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/16/stanford-reportedly-parts-ways-with-long-time-strength-coach/
golden sloth
GBear4Life said:

GoldenBear1 said:

This is just unabashed Stanford hate.

Kids go to Stanford cuz Stanford? Were you in a coma before the Harbaugh era?

Who knows if he's a good coach and CEO. He certainly sustained Stanford's success for a while after Harbaugh left. But I suppose that's all on Harbaugh. And should Stanford collapse immediately after Harbaugh, it would be used to say the HC sucks.
Flagged for implying unabashed Stanford hate is bad thing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.