Random Observations from the UCLA game

8,305 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by altacalifornia
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

SRBear said:

Maybe they'll just start fencing us in again.
Referring to Stanfurd, right?

Brings up an interesting scenario: So, I appreciated them letting us onto the field after Big Game. Surely, the pic of I have of my kids with Evan Weaver will be a family treasure. However, how would I be if THEY won at CMS and wanted to go out on the field? Probably not so good. In fact, in the unlikely scenario that they had enough fans at Memorial and actually wanted to do this, I could picture a brawl erupting.

I'm no David Shaw fan -- at all -- but he had a good quote after their ND game when asked how he felt about opposing fans celebrating on their field, two weeks in a row. (I guess some ND fans went down onto the field, too?) He said something very close to: "I'm not paying any attention to it. To the victors go the spoils. I know we plan on celebrating on other schools' turf next
season."

I disagree with you conclusion. I remember BGs when Stanfurd fans were on the CMS field after a win. (I can't say they stormed the
field because there were not enough of them.
The Cal fans left them alone because the Cal fans were just trying to get to the exits. No big deal.
TheFiatLux
This might be the most gloriously Sebastabear 1%ery post ever... AND I LOVE IT!!!!

The review and comparisons of the respective "University Clubs" including what bottled water was offered!

Being driven from venue to venue in the golf cart... glorious!'

Keep up the great work my friend!!!
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

Knowlton gave a little speech at the tailgate. Best piece of news was that he announced that the PAC 12 had levied a fine for us rushing the field after the Big Game . . . against Stanford. Bwahhahahah!

Look for an enhanced police presence when we return in 2021, but for now I'm just going to count this as a W.
I know it's funny because it happened to Stanfurd, but it's just such a ******y thing for the conference to do and just encourages the suck-all-the-fun-out-of-it policy decision making that sterlizes the game day experience. Leads to stuff like not being able to bring the state flag into Memorial.... Also, I'm just going to say it, Stanford was incredibly gracious about letting us stay on the field so long and soak it in. Way to penalize them for that. Honestly, WE SHOULD OFFER TO PAY the fine for them. I realize they're rich and it's nothing in the overall scheme of things, but I think it would be an incredibly gracious gesture on our part.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

Cal section was the most densely populated, but that's not saying much. To be fair, it was pretty cold and it was late, blah, blah, blah. Personally I just put on a jacket and my rain suit and was fine. And let me just sat nothing says "I'm here to party" like a man in plastic pants.

Even 70% empty the Rose Bowl is such a beautiful venue.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

Apparently one of the UCLA players made kitten whiskers out of his eye black. You just can't make this stuff up.

I don't know why, but I LOVE THIS. I don't know the back story here or what not... but i love when the guys do stuff like this... Like when Dylan Klumph "played" his football and "marched" as part of the band's half time show a few years ago. WHile they're young men they're also students / kids having fun with life. More of this, please.
Goobear
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

Knowlton gave a little speech at the tailgate. Best piece of news was that he announced that the PAC 12 had levied a fine for us rushing the field after the Big Game . . . against Stanford. Bwahhahahah!

Look for an enhanced police presence when we return in 2021, but for now I'm just going to count this as a W.
I know it's funny because it happened to Stanfurd, but it's just such a ******y thing for the conference to do and just encourages the suck-all-the-fun-out-of-it policy decision making that sterlizes the game day experience. Leads to stuff like not being able to bring the state flag into Memorial.... Also, I'm just going to say it, Stanford was incredibly gracious about letting us stay on the field so long and soak it in. Way to penalize them for that. Honestly, WE SHOULD OFF TO PAY the fine for them. I realize they're rich and it's nothing in the overall scheme of things, but I think it would be an incredibly gracious gesture on our part.
Agreed
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

This might be the most gloriously Sebastabear 1%ery post ever... AND I LOVE IT!!!!

The review and comparisons of the respective "University Clubs" including what bottled water was offered!

Ha. Many thanks. Sticking by my bottled water analysis, but to be clear the driving on the golf course was to park my rental car. No golf carts involved. Did come pretty close to a few of those sand traps. Hertz would have been pissed.
Lomiton
^^ same. If this type of post game "activity" stands any chance of continuing, people (field rushers, opposing fans and security) can not be A-holes. Not 99% of the time but 100% of the time. Fortunately, the was the case post Big-Game so kudos to all. The reason for the fine was Cal caused and therefore, it should be Cal paid. That's what a gracious visitor could, and should, do.
altacalifornia
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

I know it's funny because it happened to Stanfurd, but it's just such a ******y thing for the conference to do and just encourages the suck-all-the-fun-out-of-it policy decision making that sterlizes the game day experience. Leads to stuff like not being able to bring the state flag into Memorial.... Also, I'm just going to say it, Stanford was incredibly gracious about letting us stay on the field so long and soak it in. Way to penalize them for that. Honestly, WE SHOULD OFFER TO PAY the fine for them. I realize they're rich and it's nothing in the overall scheme of things, but I think it would be an incredibly gracious gesture on our part.
During the tailgate Knowlton also asked us to raise our hands if we were on the field. Perhaps the fine will be divied up and we'll each get a bill in the mail soon so that we can make our gracious gesture.
Sebastabear
Lomiton said:

^^ same. If this type of post game "activity" stands any chance of continuing, people (field rushers, opposing fans and security) can not be A-holes. Not 99% of the time but 100% of the time. Fortunately, the was the case post Big-Game so kudos to all. The reason for the fine was Cal caused and therefore, it should be Cal paid. That's what a gracious visitor could, and should, do.
I personally hate feeling I "owe" anyone anything, particularly if I don't like them. Will go to absurd lengths to avoid that. And maybe I'd feel differently if this was a struggling state school, but CAL giving money to Stanford? No way. We might as well bring sand to the beach. Not inclined to start writing checks to someone because one time they weren't an ahole.
Lomiton
Quote:

Quote:

Lomiton said:
I personally hate feeling I "owe" anyone anything, particularly if I don't like them. Will go to absurd lengths to avoid that. And maybe I'd feel differently if this was a struggling state school, but CAL giving money to Stanford? No way. We might as well bring sand to the beach. Not inclined to start writing checks to someone because one time they weren't an ahole.
Seb - that's fine and I can respect that. However, I would submit that attitude will hasten the true banishment of rushing the field (escalating to fan-security physical altercations and trespassing arrests) if everyone is not on the same page. I suppose then if the shoe were on the other foot you would have no problem with Cal picking up the tab for a post game Cardinal run at CMS. If that is true, and Stanford looks at things the same way - I guess it's no problem.

As for me, I get your feelings but I stand by what I wrote.
OdontoBear66
LMK5 said:

I was also at the UCLA game. The crowd was on the low side as expected, but you'd think that the folks that made the effort to go would have been all in, but no, the crowd was quite subdued from the outset. I'm really floored by the lack of energy in the UCLA fans.
Couple of bad seasons with Chippy will do that. Anyway, it is another way to keep recruits from knowing how bad they really are, and to decrease our recruiting over them. Hide the result.
OdontoBear66
71Bear said:

Big C said:

SRBear said:

Maybe they'll just start fencing us in again.
Referring to Stanfurd, right?

Brings up an interesting scenario: So, I appreciated them letting us onto the field after Big Game. Surely, the pic of I have of my kids with Evan Weaver will be a family treasure. However, how would I be if THEY won at CMS and wanted to go out on the field? Probably not so good. In fact, in the unlikely scenario that they had enough fans at Memorial and actually wanted to do this, I could picture a brawl erupting.

I'm no David Shaw fan -- at all -- but he had a good quote after their ND game when asked how he felt about opposing fans celebrating on their field, two weeks in a row. (I guess some ND fans went down onto the field, too?) He said something very close to: "I'm not paying any attention to it. To the victors go the spoils. I know we plan on celebrating on other schools' turf next season."
Auburn was fined $250,000 for allowing their fans on to the field following last Saturday's game v. Alabama. It is a practice that has reached the end of its shelf life. Someday, someone will be injured and the school will face a hefty lawsuit for not controlling the crowd per conference policy........
Well their bush to bush fan is probably being asked to ante' up and help pay the $250K. She certainly got plenty of air time and You Tube time with her rush in the brush.
Sebastabear
Lomiton said:

Quote:

Quote:

Lomiton said:
Seb - that's fine and I can respect that. However, I would submit that attitude will hasten the true banishment of rushing the field (escalating to fan-security physical altercations and trespassing arrests) if everyone is not on the same page. I suppose then if the shoe were on the other foot you would have no problem with Cal picking up the tab for a post game Cardinal run at CMS. If that is true, and Stanford looks at things the same way - I guess it's no problem.

As for me, I get your feelings but I stand by what I wrote.

I certainly get your point as well. And I really do love field rushing . . .
Big C
Goobear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

I know it's funny because it happened to Stanfurd, but it's just such a ******y thing for the conference to do and just encourages the suck-all-the-fun-out-of-it policy decision making that sterlizes the game day experience. Leads to stuff like not being able to bring the state flag into Memorial.... Also, I'm just going to say it, Stanford was incredibly gracious about letting us stay on the field so long and soak it in. Way to penalize them for that. Honestly, WE SHOULD OFF TO PAY the fine for them. I realize they're rich and it's nothing in the overall scheme of things, but I think it would be an incredibly gracious gesture on our part.
Agreed
I am about as anti-Stanfurd as a person can be... but I also agree. Credit where credit is due. Thanks Furd, for that.
Sebastabear
Ran into the Rally Comm chair after the game. She was just there on here own (not in an official capacity). She showed me (after I asked) the cut on her neck. I was relieved to see it was under her chin and pretty far from her carotid artery. She'd just had her stitches removed a few days before (blue of course).

Told her she was one of the things I'd always remember about that particular game. Cal Legend, Great kid.

MSaviolives
Sebastabear said:

Ran into the Rally Comm chair after the game. She was just there on here own (not in an official capacity). She showed me (after I asked) the cut on her neck. I was relieved to see it was under her chin and pretty far from her carotid artery. She'd just had her stitches removed a few days before (blue of course).

Told her she was one of the things I'd always remember about that particular game. Cal Legend, Great kid.

From the axe yell: Right in the neck, in the neck, in the neck!

She really didn't need to take that literally, but glad she wasn't hurt worse that she was
GoldenBear1
I was there this past Saturday night too, first time since 2009, both wins!
Even at night and small crowd the Rose Bowl is a beaut, need to get there on Jan 1 soon. The epic joy is something we all need to experience.
I agree that UCLA band was impressive, it was the only thing that impressed me with the Bruins all night.
The band was big, loud and proud.
Whatever UCLA did with their band Saturday night we need to learn from.
Great stories and great finish to the season.
Go Bears!
TheFiatLux
MSaviolives said:

Sebastabear said:

From the axe yell: Right in the neck, in the neck, in the neck!

She really didn't need to take that literally, but glad she wasn't hurt worse that she was
OMG!!! How did NONE of us think of that last week. Well done!!!
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

Lomiton said:

Of course we don't owe them anything, which is what make the gesture gracious... but how about this, (and I know we're not going to do this so it's just silly talk) but what if whatever the fine was, we made a donation of the same amount to the Girls and Boys Club - Peninsula, which is in East Palo Alto. That certainly feels like a win. And if done right, we'd get great PR out of it.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Ha. Many thanks. Sticking by my bottled water analysis, but to be clear the driving on the golf course was to park my rental car. No golf carts involved. Did come pretty close to a few of those sand traps. Hertz would have been pissed.
I think it was in 1993 (or 95) we had a late afternoon game with UCLA. We parked the car and used the mountains as our point of refernece. Of course by the time the game was over it was totally dark and we had no idea where anything was. Took about an hour to find the car :-) I've learned to always park by the aquatic center. Best ingress and egress.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

In the "haven't seen that before" category, UCLA trotted out a dude on their dance team. Not their cheer team mind you. There have been male cheerleaders forever (actually since before there were female cheerleaders). Often need them for the more elaborate cheer stunts. No, this was the dance squad. The ones at Cal who wear the blue sparkly dresses. Three observations.

1. I never realized how much of these dance routines involve hair flipping. With as much as he was waving his head back and forth trying to keep up I think someone should put him in a concussion protocol.

2. For some reason he was the only one who wasn't given pompoms. I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere but I'm struggling to find it.

3. He was a damn good dancer. Crazy leg extensions.

Anyway, the UCLA fans I was sitting with said this was a new one for them as well. Definitely not a regular part of their dance team. I was also with a few girls from New Zealand, who are athletes at another school. I think the game itself bored them to death but they were fascinated by the dance team. Pretty sure that's all they'll remember of the game.

I love this. I seem to remember a few years ago when we played Fresno State at Candlestick, they had a male button twirler and thinking "good for that kid!"

Also, I've always found the spacing of the endzone letters at both UCLA and at USC to be oddly cramped togegther... I don't know, but seems like i'd have twice as much space in between each letter.
hanky1
TheFiatLux said:

Sebastabear said:

I agree. The whole fine is stupid and honestly if you rush the field and get hurt then you're probably an idiot who deserves it. This whole new rule is just apart of our bubble culture where kids are treated like China dolls because god forbid they do something that causes them to get a scratch on their toe.
hanky1
Sebastabear said:

Thanks for this. This made me very happy
Sebastabear
hanky1 said:

Sebastabear said:

Thanks for this. This made me very happy
I think more folks should embrace their inner Stanford hate.
altacalifornia
altacalifornia
altacalifornia
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.