Jeff Tedford steps down

7,247 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Big C
I saw their record this year and I figured something like this might be coming. I believe we all wish him the very best.
ducky23
Can we add him as an advisor? No seriously. Can we?

I think I may be fine keeping Baldwin if we added someone like tedford as an advisor.

I think Baldwin needs someone who can come in with a fresh perspective.
touchdownbears43
Come back to Cal as OC?
okaydo
Stewart Mandel tweeted this the other day. But though Tedford doesn't fit the bill, he's only 58. (And, as I like to point out, 2 days older than The Karate Kid Ralph Macchio.)

bear2034
No additional funds for advisors? Tedford can be the new quarterbacks coach and start there.

sonofabear51
WOW!!
Cal84
I would be onboard with adding Teddy as an offensive consultant. When he had that job at UW, they had their best offense in about a decade.
hanky1
Might be his last hurrah. Sad to hear the news but glad he's taking care of himself.
Sonofafurd
His doctor told him to quit losing to Nevada, but some habits are hard to break.
71Bear
okaydo said:

Best wishes to JT! The older you get, the more you realize that good health is the most important ingredient to a good life.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

I think I may be fine keeping Baldwin if we added someone like tedford as an advisor.

He and Baldwin are both "multiple" and both suffered at Cal from "too much, too random" but Tedford said he learned from that and at FSU really tried to pare it down and make it more coherent.

We all wish Jeff the best. He is in our thoughts and prayers.
Golden One
I hope his health issue(s) are not serious and that he can get it (them) under control. I have a lot of respect for him; he was the best Cal football head coach in decades. Nobody since 1958 has brought us closer to the promised land than Jeff Tedford. I would love to see him come to Cal as offensive coordinator, or at least offensive advisor. I widh him nothing but the best.
Strykur
God if we had kept him he would have done the same 5 years ago.
MilleniaBear
I wish him health. I like the idea of adding his offensive mind to staff but we would have to add a personal trainer. The guy has got to take care of himself.
Sebastabear
Wish him the best. Seeing JT always makes me wistful. What might have been . . .
Bear19
Sebastabear said:

Wish him the best. Seeing JT always makes me wistful. What might have been . . .
Yep. "Coach Teddy" helped provide some great family experiences at games & watching the Bears on TV. Sincerely hope this is something that can be healed & JT restores his health.
Pigskin Pete
Sonofafurd said:

His doctor told him to quit losing to Nevada, but some habits are hard to break.
Post of the thread
Pigskin Pete
First of all, 4-8.

Second of all, forget coaching. Even forget advising. Just forget college football altogether. Go back to doing what you were actually good at and what there is a heavy need for. Be a quarterback tutor. Don't be an offensive coordinator, where you mix in the useful information with a lot of unnecessary confusing noise. Teach quarterbacks how to improve. Work with them on their footwork. Work with them on their throwing mechanics. Help them learn to read the field.

Be the Pete Newell of your sport.
Bear19
Good post, PP.
calumnus
Pigskin Pete said:

First of all, 4-8.

Second of all, forget coaching. Even forget advising. Just forget college football altogether. Go back to doing what you were actually good at and what there is a heavy need for. Be a quarterback tutor. Don't be an offensive coordinator, where you mix in the useful information with a lot of unnecessary confusing noise. Teach quarterbacks how to improve. Work with them on their footwork. Work with them on their throwing mechanics. Help them learn to read the field.

Does Theder still do that? Agree. He should do that or maybe get involved with Elite 11.
BufEnuf
calumnus said:

Pigskin Pete said:

First of all, 4-8.

Does Theder still do that? Agree. He should do that or maybe get involved with Elite 11.
https://calbears.com/news/2016/10/3/football-roger-theder-passes-away-at-77.aspx
72CalBear
Bear19 said:

Sebastabear said:

Yep. "Coach Teddy" helped provide some great family experiences at games & watching the Bears on TV. Sincerely hope this is something that can be healed & JT restores his health.
Yes, all the best to JT. If it weren't for him, I might not be a Bear fan and hopeful today.
okaydo
72CalBear said:

Bear19 said:

Sebastabear said:

Yes, all the best to JT. If it weren't for him, I might not be a Bear fan and hopeful today.

I wonder what percentage of BI would not be here on this forum without Tedford.
okaydo

sketchy9
Sounds like he has some sort of tachyarrythmia (VT, A-fib/flutter, or SVT). A high stress job and poor sleep & nutrition, as would happen with a D-1 coaching position, could certainly exacerbate that. Best of luck to him.
LunchTime
ducky23 said:

I would love if Cal gave him a home even temporary.
okaydo
sketchy9 said:

Sounds like he has some sort of tachyarrythmia (VT, A-fib/flutter, or SVT). A high stress job and poor sleep & nutrition, as would happen with a D-1 coaching position, could certainly exacerbate that. Best of luck to him.

I wrote a 25-page research paper on Tedford and his sleep problems for a psychology of sleep class I took at UC Berkeley. I got an A. Someday I'll post it. But as I recall, there were so many signs of his sleep problems from various media stories, going back to his introductory press conference at Cal.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/knapp/article/Plans-to-wake-Bears-from-their-slumber-Unique-3316452.php

calology
Yes, am here because of Teddy
BearGoggles
okaydo said:

Stewart Mandel tweeted this the other day. But though Tedford doesn't fit the bill, he's only 58. (And, as I like to point out, 2 days older than The Karate Kid Ralph Macchio.)

With the escalation of coaching salaries, guys like this simply don't need to work if they don't want to or shouldn't because of health. I'm sure Tedford can afford to retire based on his earnings - not to mention healthy retirement benefits as a UC employee.

MilleniaBear
Buddy of mine noted that Haener the QB who transferred from UW to FSU and sat out this year might rethink FSU as a destination with JT leaving. He grew up in Danville.
72CalBear
BearGoggles said:

okaydo said:

With the escalation of coaching salaries, guys like this simply don't need to work if they don't want to or shouldn't because of health. I'm sure Tedford can afford to retire based on his earnings - not to mention healthy retirement benefits as a UC employee.

I agree about not coaching if you don't need to - I have had several friends stop for personal reasons, but some, just some, can't give it up. It's in the blood and it's almost a lifeline for them - my teaching friends tending to favor their coaching over being in the classroom. These are often called "legacy coaches" and I think JT was one!
Cave Bear
Happy trails coach! Have some fun, you've earned it.

There was a time when Jeff Tedford was Cal football and not coincidentally that time was the golden age of modern Cal football. Cal should be planning to honor him in the not distant future. Tedford Field at California Memorial Stadium sounds nice to me. Bringing JT back into the Cal football community as an emeritus figure would be something I'd try to interest him in. There are a lot of people in the football world who are grateful for the leadership and mentorship he provided them as coach or boss, and far more than that who greatly respect him as a football professional and a decent person.
510 Bear
I'm all for at least honoring Tedford some way - and not just because he was the only Cal coach in recent memory who had our program on the verge of "elite" status and brought us a lot of good times in the middle part of the previous decade. Here's to people who do things the right way.
AlmaSecreta
calology said:

Yes, am here because of Teddy

Same. I didn't even like football before being a freshman in 2005.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.