Lights Out and FIGHT courtesy Japan Army Marching Band - This has to make you smile!

3,765 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chabbear
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have no idea the back story here, and I also don't know how I've never seen this 'til now, but I give you the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Northeastern Army Band playing lights out and siging FIGHT!

My favorite part is how the conductor quiets the audience at 1 minute so they can hear the song being sung and then at 1:58 he's all "OK LET'T HEAR IT!!!" ... and the ardor with which these folks sing!! I want to give them all a bear hug!

Simply charming.

SanseiBear
TheFiatLux said:

I have no idea the back story here, and I also don't know how I've never seen this 'til now, but I give you the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Northeastern Army Band playing lights out and signing FIGHT!

My favorite part is how the conductor quiets the audience at 1 minute so they can hear the song being sung and then at 1:58 he's all "OK LET'T HEAR IT!!!" ... and the ardor with which these folks sing!! I want to give them all a bear hug!

Simply charming.

TheFiatLux, mahalo for posting this link which I had shared on our Hawaii Cal Alumni FB page.

Lights Out is a favorite march played in Japanese schools, although most don't know that it is our fight song. Most likely, this military band did some research through the Internet and came across our version.

This performance was done in 2015 at the city of Iwamura, Miyagi prefecture which was hard hit by the tsunami/earthquake in 2011.

85Bear
That was AWESOME!!!! Thanks, FiatLux!
Polodad
Just GREAT!
LunchTime
Japan Ground Self Defense Force Northeastern Army Band GREAT.

That was fun.
evanluck
Cool video. The Cal Band toured Japan in 1970 for a month. Did a performance for a game in 1987 (Cal, UW) and more recently in 1996 as part of a bigger Asia Tour.

I think you can see the influence of that original 70s tour in clips like this and the fact the the Cal Band was featured in the halftime graphic of the video game Tecmo Bowl.

Here is a clip from that original Tecmo Bowl video game:

I remember being in the Cal Band and playing that game on the NES for the first time and freaking out when that graphic came on the screen.
GBear1955
I came across this video when I tracked the Band's asia tour in 2016.
KoreAmBear
Made my day! My coworker who sits next to me - her sister is a Cal alum and has two children in the current CMB. They are going to get a kick out of it. My coworker's daughter plays in the Oklahoma State Marching Band. Band geeks great!
TheFiatLux
SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

I have no idea the back story here, and I also don't know how I've never seen this 'til now, but I give you the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Northeastern Army Band playing lights out and signing FIGHT!

Simply charming.

TheFiatLux, mahalo for posting this link which I had shared on our Hawaii Cal Alumni FB page.

Lights Out is a favorite march played in Japanese schools, although most don't know that it is our fight song. Most likely, this military band did some research through the Internet and came across our version.

This performance was done in 2015 at the city of Iwamura, Miyagi prefecture which was hard hit by the tsunami/earthquake in 2011.

Was that you that tagged me in that post??
SanseiBear
TheFiatLux said:

SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Simply charming.

No, it might have been MamaBear. When I clicked on my post, I noticed Tyson Alualu and Mika Kane also saw it!
chalcidbear
What the hell is a stand up bass doing in a marching band? (Even if it isn't marching)?
bigtuba1
Concert bands often have a string bass.
SanseiBear
chalcidbear said:

What the hell is a stand up bass doing in a marching band? (Even if it isn't marching)?
FiatLux added the word"Marching" that is not in the Japanese title.

Band
KoreAmBear
SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Simply charming.

No, it might have been MamaBear. When I clicked on my post, I noticed Tyson Alualu and Mika Kane also saw it!
Sorry I missed your post SanseiBear. Hope you are doing well.
Fyght4Cal
This is great stuff, Ken! The Cal Band continues to make its mark in Japan.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
SanseiBear
KoreAmBear said:

SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

SanseiBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Simply charming.

Sorry I missed your post SanseiBear. Hope you are doing well.
I feel great although I'm still taking some meds. Mahalo for your thoughts!
510 Bear
Love it! Only way that could have been better is if they all ripped off their uniforms to reveal Cal gear underneath.
calumnus
chalcidbear said:

Reminds me of:
joe amos yaks
Great stuff. We cried.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
TomBear
Jim Berdahl, who was the director that brought Cal Band to it's greatness by bringing in the "high step" style used by Ohio State, took a sabbatical to Japan in the early '70s. The Japanese had already developed a love for Cal Band thanks to a tour they had taken previous to his sabbatical. While in Japan, Berdahl fell in love with Japan, and apparently many Japanese felt the same way about him. He brought information to the Japanese about Cal Band and it's traditions, and as evidenced by this video, his influence is still strong there.

I wish the athletic department realized what a treasure they have in Cal Band. There is no better ambassador for the university than Cal Band. They need to help take the full uniformed band on the road to more Cal football games.

FLC
I just would love to see the Cal Band pour out of the tunnel and then march down the field playing the entire Lights Out March. I have a very old LP of the band playing the entire version of the march. Every time I hear it I want to shout out Go Bears.
cbbass1

Quote:

I wanted to see him strut!
SanseiBear
GO BEARS all the way from Japan!
socaltownie
This totally got me i mood for red box
Take care of your Chicken
Chabbear
We played the video before the game too. It worked

Go Bears
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.