Marcus Arroyo to UNLV

5,218 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Intriguing

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Marcus-Arroyo-Oregon-Ducks-Football-UNLV-Rebels-140198057/

GoBears89
Wow, that's a good pull for UNLV.

If BB is indeed leaving, we need to lock up an OC stat - before Oregon comes calling...
89Bear
If true, they are going for offense(Arroyo) over defense(Coach TDR) which makes sense since you would expect Vegas to want flashy.
Northside91
Strykur said:

Intriguing

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Marcus-Arroyo-Oregon-Ducks-Football-UNLV-Rebels-140198057/

Very sad sack program. Will take a lot of patience. Expectations are probably so low that keeping them at 6-6 for a couple of years will make him very marketable.
GBear4Life
Didn't we think this guy sucked when on Tedford's staff?
calumnus
GBear4Life said:

Well he was the QB coach and passing game coordinator in 2011 and 2012 which was with Maynard (and then Bridgford when Maynard was injured) so people's opinions of him were largely based on that . I vaguely remember he called a game and that went well? In 2013 he was OC at Southern Miss with Bridgford as a transfer and that did not work out well and he was fired.

Ludwig was a genius OC at Utah but he was bad at Cal. Maybe he learned and improved or maybe it was working with Tedford.
hanky1
He was at Cal for a couple years under Telford as a qb coach. Tedford held him in very high regard and felt he was a rising star.
PtownBear1
GBear4Life said:

I have yet to see evidence to the contrary. Oregon's offense underperformed relative to their talent IMO.

And I guarantee if Oregon wanted him back next year, Arroyo would not be interviewing at places like UNLV.
TheSouseFamily
Possibly a "not so fast" happening. If Aranda is in the mix now as rumored, that's surprising. I'd think he'd be in mine for a P5 HC gig, like Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp and others who excelled as coordinators. Something better than UNLV or Colorado State at least.

GBear4Life
calumnus said:

GBear4Life said:

Well he was the QB coach and passing game coordinator in 2011 and 2012 which was with Maynard (and then Bridgford when Maynard was injured) so people's opinions of him were largely based on that . I vaguely remember he called a game and that went well? In 2013 he was OC at Southern Miss with Bridgford as a transfer and that did not work out well and he was fired.

Ludwig was a genius OC at Utah but he was bad at Cal. Maybe he learned and improved or maybe it was working with Tedford.
Yeah Ludwig transformed himself, that's plausible.
GBear4Life
His ascent was always curious. I have zero idea whether he's "good" or not (clearly a large swath of his peers respect his ability, but people fall upwards in organizations all the time), but according to how reactionaries judge coaches and coordinators, his units never seemed to stand out against expectations
GBear4Life
PtownBear1 said:

GBear4Life said:

I have yet to see evidence to the contrary. Oregon's offense underperformed relative to their talent IMO.

And I guarantee if Oregon wanted him back next year, Arroyo would not be interviewing at places like UNLV.
I don't know man, if you're a coordinator and you know your value is like a stock in volatile trading market and a G5 but FBS school comes calling -- UNLV has a lot going for them -- you gotta take the HC offer.
TheSouseFamily
Looks like it's happening after all.

hanky1
TheSouseFamily said:

Aranda is apparently a guy who just doesn't strike many as a HC. His personality doesn't seem suited for it. Not surprised unlv passed on him.
FloriDreaming
89Bear said:

If true, they are going for offense(Arroyo) over defense(Coach TDR) which makes sense since you would expect Vegas to want flashy.
I'd agree 100% with their choice. TDR was a HC before in that conference and did very badly. Arroyo is at least as good of a coordinator as TDR without that blemish, so he gets the nod. Makes sense.
UrsaMajor
This means that Oregon will have first choice for OC, since they can pay a lot more than Cal.
BearlyCareAnymore
UrsaMajor said:

This means that Oregon will have first choice for OC, since they can pay a lot more than Cal.
Doubt we are fishing in the same pond anyway.
Strykur
OaktownBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

We won't be looking for option-spread coordinators that is.
ducktilldeath
Strykur said:

OaktownBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

We won't be looking for option-spread coordinators that is.
Do you live under a rock?
okaydo
he recruited Goff
GBear4Life
hanky1 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Aranda is apparently a guy who just doesn't strike many as a HC. His personality doesn't seem suited for it. Not surprised unlv passed on him.
You could have said exactly the same thing about Justin Wilcox (and it would be more accurate)
GBear4Life
okaydo said:

he recruited Goff
Well then let's crown his a s s
westcoast101
And we'll be seeing him in his debut game.
hanky1
GBear4Life said:

hanky1 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

You could have said exactly the same thing about Justin Wilcox (and it would be more accurate)
Except Wilcox is a coach and Aranda has been passed over multiple times.
Ncsf
PtownBear1 said:

GBear4Life said:

I watched the Oregon game last week and was incredibly impressed. Re UNLV, he has to cut his teeth as a HC and that's how you do it. Turn that around and now you jump to a power 5.
calumnus
Ncsf said:

PtownBear1 said:

GBear4Life said:

I watched the Oregon game last week and was incredibly impressed. Re UNLV, he has to cut his teeth as a HC and that's how you do it. Turn that around and now you jump to a power 5.

Agreed. Pretty good situation for him.
GBear4Life
hanky1 said:

GBear4Life said:

hanky1 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Except Wilcox is a coach and Aranda has been passed over multiple times.
Wilcox was never passed over because he never even got a look until doofus Cal came calling
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.