Top 15 Players in the Conference

1,661 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 59bear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilner came up with a list of the 15 best players in the conference regardless of position. We have one player on it - you can guess who. Puts Weaver at #3, above Shenault, above Zach Moss, above Tyler Huntley, above Isiah Hodgins, etc. Only edged out by Michael Pittman from SC (who is a freak) and the left tackle from Oregon (who he calls the best player in the conference - which is a very Wilner thing to do).

Anyway, interesting list. Great to see Weaver getting some much deserved love.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/09/the-hotline-15-our-picks-for-the-best-players-in-the-conference-regardless-of-position/?utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.mercurynews.com%2f2019%2f12%2f09%2fthe-hotline-15-our-picks-for-the-best-players-in-the-conference-regardless-of-position%2f&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-pac-12-hotline-nl
KoreAmBear
Well yah Wilner gets it but not many others seem to.
Sebastabear
KoreAmBear said:

Well yah Wilner gets it but not many others seem to.
If you mean that stupid PFF all PAC-12 list (which put him at 2nd string) yeah that's ridiculous. But the official all PAC-12 list comes out tomorrow. Would be shocked if he's not all conference if not defensive POY. We shall see.
dimitrig

Interesting list.

Weaver made big contributions, but take Weaver off Cal and add Tyler Huntley instead and I think Cal wins more games. However, that's mostly because QB is a more important position. Replace Garbers with any of the top QBs in the Pac (at the expense of Weaver) and Cal wins more games.

I guess it makes more sense to view this list as WAR for each position and viewed that way it makes more sense.

Beardog26
Wilner is, IMO, 100% right about Penei Sewell being the best player in the conference. Sewell is one of the best and most athletic OL I've ever seen in this conference. I really wish he wasn't just a sophomore but am at least comforted that there is very little chance he will stay in this conference beyond next season.
wifeisafurd
Sewel also is an athletic freak along with Pittman. Both deserve their high billing. Both are first round draft picks. Nice to see Weaver get the recogntion even though he may not be the gifted athlete as the other two, and I too expect Weaver to be Pac 12 defensive POY.
Big C
Utah has 5 of the Top 15? That explains a lot. Huntley completed 73.7% of his passes? (I guess I haven't been paying attention.)
Sebastabear
Big C said:

Utah has 5 of the Top 15? That explains a lot. Huntley completed 73.7% of his passes? (I guess I haven't been paying attention.)
Yeah, they were built to win this year. Won't be the same team next year.

This was their 2004. Similar outcome.
59bear
Beardog26 said:

Wilner is, IMO, 100% right about Penei Sewell being the best player in the conference. Sewell is one of the best and most athletic OL I've ever seen in this conference. I really wish he wasn't just a sophomore but am at least comforted that there is very little chance he will stay in this conference beyond next season.
I've heard commentators call Sewell the best OL in college ball, not just the conference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.