OT: Reflections on the eve of the Raiders' last game in Oakland

7,207 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by joe amos yaks
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Retiring a relic: Raiders from past and present reflect on the Coliseum

https://es.pn/38tGMeI
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Bobodeluxe
viva las vegas

MSaviolives
Good riddance. They lost me as a fan when they moved to LA, even though the Coliseum had been sold out with rabid loyal fans for years. I always silently laughed at the Raider fans I would see on Southwest flying back and forth to LA to see the games (silently, because I didn't want to get my a$$ kicked ). It was as though my wife left me for another man. Just. No. Not going to support them or welcome them back.

Quote:

They were 98-26-3 in their first run, 94-105 since returning from Los Angeles.

Karma can be a b**ch. The "Original" Oakland Raiders were a dominant team, and had the Bad Boy mystique. They also had the legendary games: Heidi Game; Sea of Hands; Ghost to the Post; Holy Roller, even their loss to the Immaculate Reception--not to mention the incredible George Blanda Miracle Season in 1970. After they left, the Traitors had a few good seasons, but they lost the mystique and became just another NFL team. Vegas can have them.
Cal8285
The Raiders in Oakland really was two different eras. I'm not sure anyone will ever be all that nostalgic about the current era. The 1966-81 run in the Coliseum was amazing, and the Raiders were a really good team that entire time.

The final AFL game on January 4, 1970, between the Chiefs and the Raiders was an amazing battle between two great defensive teams with some excellent offensive weapons. With all due respect to Joe Kapp's Vikings, it was the battle for the best professional football team.

And the best football game I ever attended was the Sea of Hands game.

One could go on. Those were the days, and those were amazing crowds. But after the return from LA, things were never the same. Al Davis yearned for a return to the original era, but it was too late, he screwed it up when he moved the team to LA. You can't leave your wife incredibly wonderful wife for someone you think is prettier and richer, decide to come back to her, and expect you can ever capture the same magic.
AunBear89
So.... how many Raider fans, suffering from battered fan syndrome, will follow the Raiders to Vegas - just like so many did to LA and back?

You get what you ask for when you support a team owed by Al Davis and/or his progeny.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
I was in attendance at two legendary games:

1. The Heidi Game against the Jets;
2. The Play, Cal vs Turd and Ole Horse Face
bearister
AunBear89 said:

So.... how many Raider fans, suffering from battered fan syndrome, will follow the Raiders to Vegas - just like so many did to LA and back?

You get what you ask for when you support a team owed by Al Davis and/or his progeny.

I'm a Goff Rams fan now. I am also now a Niners fan. I started warming up to the Niners several years ago because they sucked so bad. I never watched one game during the Montana Era. I did not even consider it a big deal to have my son play hoop with Joe's son at DLS and meet him (he is nice). Now that the Raiders are leaving, the Niners left The Sh@itty and play in Santa Clara, and they are a good team, it is a no brainer to become a fan.
MSaviolives
Cal8285 said:

The Raiders in Oakland really was two different eras. I'm not sure anyone will ever be all that nostalgic about the current era. The 1966-81 run in the Coliseum was amazing, and the Raiders were a really good team that entire time.

The final AFL game on January 4, 1970, between the Chiefs and the Raiders was an amazing battle between two great defensive teams with some excellent offensive weapons. With all due respect to Joe Kapp's Vikings, it was the battle for the best professional football team.

And the best football game I ever attended was the Sea of Hands game.

One could go on. Those were the days, and those were amazing crowds. But after the return from LA, things were never the same. Al Davis yearned for a return to the original era, but it was too late, he screwed it up when he moved the team to LA. You can't leave your wife incredibly wonderful wife for someone you think is prettier and richer, decide to come back to her, and expect you can ever capture the same magic.
I was so p***sed off from that game, because the Raiders had beaten the Chiefs home and away during the regular season, and had that playoff game at home.
71Bear
bearister said:

AunBear89 said:

I'm a Goff Rams fan now. I am also now a Niners fan. I started warming up to the Niners several years ago because they sucked so bad. I never watched one game during the Montana Era. I did not even consider it a big deal to have my son play hoop with Joe's son at DLS and meet him (he is nice). Now that the Raiders are leaving, the Niners left The Sh@itty and play in Santa Clara, and they are a good team, it is a no brainer to become a fan.
Welcome to the bandwagon. In fact, you are just in time, the wagon will be on its way once the five Lombardi trophies are put aboard.
Marty
Well put. This is simply karma repaying the Raiders for their greed. Al & Co. had a great thing going, and just couldn't resist the urge for more. How many times do we see a seemingly perfect setup (business, marriage, team) sacrificed simply because greed takes over and an embarrassment of riches suddenly isn't enough?

A once dominant and loved franchise, now run by a bunch of incompetent buffoons led by circus clowns Gruden and Mayock slinks off to the most superficial city in the world, having willingly traded a once unmatched record of success for a legacy of failure and shame. The Raiders and Vegas, a losing team and a city of greedy parasites, are a fitting match for one another
71Bear
Marty said:

Well put. This is simply karma repaying the Raiders for their greed. Al & Co. had a great thing going, and just couldn't resist the urge for more. How many times do we see a seemingly perfect setup (business, marriage, team) sacrificed simply because greed takes over and an embarrassment of riches suddenly isn't enough?

A once dominant and loved franchise, now run by a bunch of incompetent buffoons led by circus clowns Gruden and Mayock slinks off to the most superficial city in the world, having willingly traded a once unmatched record of success for a legacy of failure and shame. The Raiders and Vegas, a losing team and a city of greedy parasites, are a fitting match for one another
Quite frankly, the Raiders and Las Vegas were born to marry one another. I can't think of a sports franchise and a city that are more closely matched than those two. They deserve each other.
AunBear89
bearister said:

AunBear89 said:

As a LONG time (Craig Morton/Orange Crush era) Broncos fan, I applaud your good sense (if not your taste in alternative teams).
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
71Bear said:

Marty said:

Quite frankly, the Raiders and Las Vegas were born to marry one another. I can't think of a sports franchise and a city that are more closely matched than those two. They deserve each other.

RichyBear
I watched the Raiders play at Frank Youell Field. I watched the first game at the Collisium. Even after they move to LA I was at a SuperBowl party in 1984 (1983 SuperBowl) where every one went Crazy every time the Raiders scored.
But moving to Vegas is too much. The Raiders are DEAD to me. It's as if your wife left you for another. Then after a few years wanted to come back to you. You take her back. Then a few years later she says "I'am leaving you again for another man, but i'll stay with you until he gets out of jail and finds a job.'
Now every game the Raider lose makes my day.. At one time it would ruin my day.

BTW- to paraphrase Ray Stevens. Vegas has no class. I take that back, it has some class, but it's all low class.
LunchTime
The Raiders are a great example of why I cant get on board with pro sports. I have a hard time even tuning in for individuals like Lynch or Goff because I have such a distaste for pro sports.

They exist to take tax money from the location they are in, and return as little as possible. They have no regional connection and are eager to leave for a better tax-ripoff deal. Hardly anyone has been a part of the organization, so a tiny few have a personal connection. If you like an individual player, they are just as likely to leave the team as stay. There is literally nothing stable that would connect a fan to a team, IMO.

Raiders to LV. 49ers to SC. Warriors to SF. And that's just a 50 mile radius of where I grew up and 5 years. Its bonkers to me that these teams can maintain fan support at all unless they are absolutely dominating and sad people want to attach to that success.
orindabear74
The Raiders need to stop this whole "Commitment to excellence" BS because they haven't been even satisfactory in many many years. And can we stop worshipping at the altar of Al and stop lighting that damn torch. If Al really believed in "just winning baby", he wouldn't have left us with his son Mark who is the real problem holding the Raiders back. I stopped being a Raider fan when they left for LA and wish them nothing but continued failure and empty seats in Vegas.
71Bear
RichyBear said:

I watched the Raiders play at Frank Youell Field. I watched the first game at the Collisium. Even after they move to LA I was at a SuperBowl party in 1984 (1983 SuperBowl) where every one went Crazy every time the Raiders scored.
But moving to Vegas is too much. The Raiders are DEAD to me. It's as if your wife left you for another. Then after a few years wanted to come back to you. You take her back. Then a few years later she says "I'am leaving you again for another man, but i'll stay with you until he gets out of jail and finds a job.'

BTW- to paraphrase Ray Stevens. Vegas has no class. I take that back, it has some class, but it's all low class.
Not only did I see a Raiders game at Frank Youell, I also had a archery class on the field during my time at Laney College. Those were the days!
Big C
RichyBear said:

Yup. I was a HUGE Raider fan, as a kid, in the early '70s. When they moved back from LA, I got teary-eyed. Now, to hell with them (actually, that's where they're going next year, so fine).
MSaviolives
RichyBear said:

The late talk radio host, Pete Franklin, analogized Oakland Raider fans flying back and forth to LA to see them play there as your wife leaves you for another man, so now you go to their house every weekend and mow their lawn for them.
Bear19
Don't care if the door hits them in the patootie on the way out. Oakland did nothing to try & keep them, they've been trying to leave for years. Don't understand why anyone in NorCal is a fan, given that Davis has never cared one bit for anyone in Northern California.
prospeCt

bearister
RichyBear said:

No girl ever had to dump me twice.
bearister
510 Bear
LunchTime said:

The Raiders are a great example of why I cant get on board with pro sports. I have a hard time even tuning in for individuals like Lynch or Goff because I have such a distaste for pro sports.

They exist to take tax money from the location they are in, and return as little as possible. They have no regional connection and are eager to leave for a better tax-ripoff deal. Hardly anyone has been a part of the organization, so a tiny few have a personal connection. If you like an individual player, they are just as likely to leave the team as stay. There is literally nothing stable that would connect a fan to a team, IMO.

Raiders to LV. 49ers to SC. Warriors to SF. And that's just a 50 mile radius of where I grew up and 5 years. Its bonkers to me that these teams can maintain fan support at all unless they are absolutely dominating and sad people want to attach to that success.
Not entirely true. There's a reason the Raiders are a joke to NFL fans in the Midwest (well, outside StL anyway) - most of those cities have loyal fans, ownership and teams that stay put, and can't even imagine the idea of a team like the Raiders that have gone from Oakland to LA to Oakland and now to Vegas, shedding "fans" like a snake sheds its skin and leaving a trail of embarrassing failure along the way.
oldblu86
After pretending that the Raiders didn't exist and not watching any of their games from 82-94, I was ecstatic when they moved back home. Now, though moving to Vegas is not as bad as moving to L.A., I am done with them. When it comes to the pros, I will only follow the former Cal players, no matter what teams they play for.
okaydo
I honestly couldn't give a flying bleep about the Raiders.

But I estimate that I've lived 85% of my life within close proximity to the Raiders.

--They moved to Los Angeles when I was in preschool and they played their games at the Los Angeles Memorial Colisum, which was about 6 miles from my family's home. I grew up amid all the Raiders/L.A. gangs stuff.

--The Raiders moved back to Oakland in 1995.

--I started at UC Berkeley in 1996.

--I moved into the city of Oakland during the Raiders' last Super Bowl run. (There were a lot of Raider fans in my apartment building.)

--I moved out of the city of Oakland (and back to Los Angeles) months before the Raiders announced they are leaving for Las Vegas.

When I lived in Oakland, on Sunday mornings, I would bike down Telegraph Avenue, make a left at Jack London Square, bike across the Sandra Bullock Bridge to Alameda, bike around Alameda. Then bike across the bridge to Bay Farm Island, then I'd bike around the Raiders' HQ and watch the planes from Oakland Airport overhead. It's such a beautiful area. You get a nice view of the Coliseum from Bay Farm Island.

Pigskin Pete
MSaviolives said:

RichyBear said:

The late talk radio host, Pete Franklin, analogized Oakland Raider fans flying back and forth to LA to see them play there as your wife leaves you for another man, so now you go to their house every weekend and mow their lawn for them.
Used to love listening to Pete rip Al Davis mercilessly on his show. But then that's no surprise.
bearister
Based on your age give always in that post, may I call you son?
82gradDLSdad
LunchTime said:

It is truly mind boggling. I try not to watch any team that I used to care about because it makes me anxious when they are good and the games mean something. I can't enjoy it and so I tune out, for my health. It's stupid but I can't not care even though I don't. Cal football is the last hanger-oner. I can't let her go!!! And it drives me nuts.
socaltownie
82gradDLSdad said:

LunchTime said:

It is truly mind boggling. I try not to watch any team that I used to care about because it makes me anxious when they are good and the games mean something. I can't enjoy it and so I tune out, for my health. It's stupid but I can't not care even though I don't. Cal football is the last hanger-oner. I can't let her go!!! And it drives me nuts.
Grew up as a kid living and dying with the Raiders. Essentially went away to college when they left for LA. Never was the same when they came back to the East Bay. Now my team is the only socialist ownership team in the country - the Packers ;-)
Take care of your Chicken
bearister
LunchTime said:

...They exist to take tax money from the location they are in, and return as little as possible. They have no regional connection and are eager to leave for a better tax-ripoff deal.....

This video is on point with regard your comment. It is worth your time if you can squeeze it in. After John gets his yuck yucks out of the way in the first couple of minutes, it gets real educational.

joe amos yaks
Fans, don't forget to grease your hair and wear gaudy jewelry to honor the Raidahs' man.

"The greatness of the Raiders lies in their future." - Al Davis, Oakland Raiders' Owner

"Every franchise of both leagues will remain in its present location." - Pete Rozelle, NFL Commissioner

"I'm in pro football to win, to have the Raiders dominate, to have the Raiders global, and we're not going to be able to do that with a half-filled stadium." - Al Davis, Oakland Raiders' Owner

"The most difficult owner for me was George Marshal of Washington." - Pete Rozelle, NFL Commissioner

"Once a Raider, always a Raider." - Al Davis, Oakland Raiders' Owner

"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
HearstMining
bearister said:

RichyBear said:

No girl ever had to dump me twice.
That comment hit home, particularly in this context. I had a girlfriend who did dump me twice - the second time was summer of 1974 and even though I had paid for a Raider season ticket next to her for the upcoming season, I never went to a game. That was my first introduction to the concept of "sunk cost".

Good thing I got to watch Steve Bartkowski shred Pac-10 defenses on Saturdays, which greatly decreased my desire to see the Raiders on Sundays.
LunchTime
510 Bear said:

LunchTime said:

Not entirely true. There's a reason the Raiders are a joke to NFL fans in the Midwest (well, outside StL anyway) - most of those cities have loyal fans, ownership and teams that stay put, and can't even imagine the idea of a team like the Raiders that have gone from Oakland to LA to Oakland and now to Vegas, shedding "fans" like a snake sheds its skin and leaving a trail of embarrassing failure along the way.
There are not very many (and I would make a claim that there are very few) true examples of what you are pointing out, though.

But, yes, If I grew up in Wisconsin, I would probably have a completely different view of pro sports. Certainly the franchise-community connection doesnt exist where I grew up, and as I get older, living in this region reinforces my views.
BeggarEd
Mark Davis has never worked a day in his life outside of his father's businesses. He is the village idiot of NFL ownership and probably can't wipe his own rear end without Jerry Jones' approval. The Vegas stadium will likely be overrun with opposing fans on a regular basis looking to enjoy a weekender in Sin City. I predict the whole thing will fail spectacularly within about a decade.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.