Weaver named USA Today All-American

3,671 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calgo430
CountryBearJamboree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEI9lEFSEZgdoU9mWWCVe6cIqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowjsP7CjCSpPQCMKmw0wU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
calbear80
Well deserved.

Go Weaver! Go Bears!!
71Bear
CountryBearJamboree said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEI9lEFSEZgdoU9mWWCVe6cIqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowjsP7CjCSpPQCMKmw0wU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
The Athletic also named Weaver to their AA team.
Sebastabear

How embarrassing is this getting for PFF at this point? A guy you said wasn't worthy to be on your first string All PAC-12 team is being universally hailed as an All American? Not to mention PAC-12 defensive player of the year. A spectacular ratings face plant. PFF can suck it,
NVBear78
Weaver on his way to being a consensus All American! When was the last time we had one of those?
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

How embarrassing is this getting for PFF at this point? A guy you said wasn't worthy to be on your first string All PAC-12 team is being universally hailed as an All American? Not to mention PAC-12 defensive player of the year. A spectacular ratings face plant. PFF can suck it,
The Athletic listed the Top Ten NFL prospects at each position. A couple Cal-related items popped up.

1. Weaver is not listed among the TopTen LB's. However, Troy Dye from UO is listed (#8). In other words, Dye is seen as a better pro prospect than Weaver.
2. Ashtyn Davis is listed as the #3 safety. He is the only Cal player included in any of the Top Tens.

I believe Weaver was rightfully selected as the P12 DPOY. However, I am not convinced he will be an effective pro player.

FloriDreaming
Excellent! He certainly put in the work, glad to see it paid off.

Hopefully he has a lot of success in the NFL.
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

The Athletic listed the Top Ten NFL prospects at each position. A couple Cal-related items popped up.

1. Weaver is not listed among the TopTen LB's. However, Troy Dye from UO is listed (#8). In other words, Dye is seen as a better pro prospect than Weaver.
2. Ashtyn Davis is listed as the #3 safety. He is the only Cal player included in any of the Top Tens.

I believe Weaver was rightfully selected as the P12 DPOY. However, I am not convinced he will be an effective pro player.

And I think UW didn't think much of him as a potential college player. He seems to have a knack for proving the doubters wrong. His nose for the ball and his ability to bring players down seems unparalleled. I think he's going to make some lucky pro team very happy.
calumnus
Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

And I think UW didn't think much of him as a potential college player. He seems to have a knack for proving the doubters wrong. His nose for the ball and his ability to bring players down seems unparalleled. I think he's going to make some lucky pro team very happy.

Yeah, I think he will go lower than he should and surprise. Make great contributions on special teams then work his way into more and more PT at LB.
HoopDreams

Sebastabear
HoopDreams said:

That's outstanding
chazzed
Sebastabear said:

QFT
GivemTheAxe

I know it might not be fair to compare two LB just on numbers alone.
BUT:
Parsons (Weaver's fellow AA LB) has 95 tackles.
Weaver has 173 tackles so far.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Yeah, I think he will go lower than he should and surprise. Make great contributions on special teams then work his way into more and more PT at LB.

I don't know if analytics have hit NFL scouting like it has in MLB but if it has someone will snap Weaver up. He is too productive to ignore.
socaltownie
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

I don't know if analytics have hit NFL scouting like it has in MLB but if it has someone will snap Weaver up. He is too productive to ignore.
All going to come down to the combine. Does he weight and is he as tall as they say? What is his 40 and bench press, etc. etc. etc.

IF you made me bet it would be that Weave would get drafted and would get put on the development squad the first year and break through his second. All in rooting for the kid.
Take care of your Chicken
59bear
71Bear said:

The Athletic also named Weaver to their AA team.
And CBS Sports 1st team AA!
59bear
Sebastabear said:

Their selections clearly were predicated on projections of performance at the next level and not production at this one.
71Bear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

We shall see. Like so many players, much will depend on who selects him in the draft (I see him as a Day Three guy). If he winds up in a scheme that highlights his strengths and masks his weaknesses, he will be ok. Otherwise.......
82gradDLSdad
socaltownie said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

All going to come down to the combine. Does he weight and is he as tall as they say? What is his 40 and bench press, etc. etc. etc.

IF you made me bet it would be that Weave would get drafted and would get put on the development squad the first year and break through his second. All in rooting for the kid.

Yep. I think 40 and shuttle time could bump him, one way or the other.
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

We shall see. Like so many players, much will depend on who selects him in the draft (I see him as a Day Three guy). If he winds up in a scheme that highlights his strengths and masks his weaknesses, he will be ok. Otherwise.......
Either their algorithm ignores things like "nose for the ball / positioning" and "tackle suredness /ability to bring someone down once you get your hands on them" (in which case it sucks) or it takes them into account but does so incorrectly (in which case it sucks). All roads lead to suck.
91Cal
B/R First Team: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2865861-brs-2019-college-football-all-american-teams#slide6

Love this paragraph:

Quote:

[ol]
If the Golden Bears had any semblance of a threatening offense, they could've competed for the Pac-12 crown. Yes, seriously. Cal allowed just 22.1 points per game, and Evan Weaver played the most active role. Heading into bowl season, the senior leads the FBS with 173 tackles26 more than anyone elseand has 11 takedowns in the backfield.[/ol]
Big C
socaltownie said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

It is TOTALLY going to come down to his combine performance and I don't have a good feel for what his 40 time is going to be. Conventional wisdom might be that he isn't fast, but remember, he would run the 100 in HS track and, IIRC, his times were respectable for a big defensive player (I wanna say upper 11s?).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he runs a 4.69 at the combine (slightly lowered from 4.70 because I'm rooting for him). I think a time like that would prevent him from going too high, but keep him in there as a 3rd-4th rounder.
HoopDreams
How cool is it that Weaver accomplished all this in his SENIOR year
calgo430
i think both weaver and davis will go in the 2nd or 3rd round of the nfl draft
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.