So are there any rumors on replacement OCs?

29,013 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
CALiforniALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seen a few names thrown around that look like a 5 year olds unrealistic Christmas List, but no rumors. Will we have to wait until after the Bowl season?
Cal88
Troy Taylor should be the top target.

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

Taylor took a sizable pay cut to come to Sacramento State, where his base annual pay is $242,000. That's about $1.7 million through the duration of his seven-year contract. Taylor's 2018 base salary at Utah was $525,000, plus a bonus of $87,500, a total about 2 times his annual take at Sacramento State, where he is the highest-paid coach.

"It's never been about the money for me," says Taylor, who will earn a bonus if the Hornets win the conference title. "It's about believing in where I am and being challenged. My goal when I left Folsom High School was to one day be a head coach, and this is a great opportunity. They're paying me well. This is where I want to be."

The main issue here is he's built some local bridges and personal relationships, and leaving after just one season is tough. He might be thinking about taking over a P5 program down the line, which given the job he's done so far at Sac State looks like a reasonable prospect.

But given that it's his alma mater, he might take the job, especially if he feels that one of his top SSU assistants could carry on with that program. I would think the Cal HC job would be his dream job, being the OC at 51 gets him on that path and puts him in a great position to contribute to the program.
Big C
I don't live too far from THE Boston Market. Maybe I'll head over there and report back...
HungryCalBear
Just curious ... was Troy's transition from P5 OC to HC at Sac State a similar situation with Baldwin's from OC at Cal to HC at Cal Poly. Was he being asked to leave in a classy way? Honest question!
FrankBear21
Since Baldwin is coaching in the bowl, I wouldn't expect anything till Jan.
tequila4kapp
I think it will be interesting to see if the new OC fits the BB, DTR or some other profile, maybe very young up and comer.
calgo430
the best recruiter on staff is ragle. heard thru the grapevine.
YamhillBear
HungryCalBear said:

Just curious ... was Troy's transition from P5 OC to HC at Sac State a similar situation with Baldwin's from OC at Cal to HC at Cal Poly. Was he being asked to leave in a classy way? Honest question!
This Salt Lake columnist, back then, pretty much said Wittingham asked Taylor to move on

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/12/18/monson-troy-taylor-is/

YamhillBear
Back to the original topic, Brennan Marion's name came up today in terms of our OC position, albeit not in terms of us expressing interest in him, but in terms of him expressing interest in us. Currently OC at William and Mary.

Claim to coaching fame appears to be that he was OC for Howard when, as a 45-point underdog, they upset UNLV. Pretty sparse resume it seems to me. But he was also mentioned in terms of OC vacancies at Auburn and Syracuse, so maybe there's something there between the lines of the resume?
71Bear
Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

Taylor took a sizable pay cut to come to Sacramento State, where his base annual pay is $242,000. That's about $1.7 million through the duration of his seven-year contract. Taylor's 2018 base salary at Utah was $525,000, plus a bonus of $87,500, a total about 2 times his annual take at Sacramento State, where he is the highest-paid coach.

"It's never been about the money for me," says Taylor, who will earn a bonus if the Hornets win the conference title. "It's about believing in where I am and being challenged. My goal when I left Folsom High School was to one day be a head coach, and this is a great opportunity. They're paying me well. This is where I want to be."

The main issue here is he's built some local bridges and personal relationships, and leaving after just one season is tough. He might be thinking about taking over a P5 program down the line, which given the job he's done so far at Sac State looks like a reasonable prospect.

But given that it's his alma mater, he might take the job, especially if he feels that one of his top SSU assistants could carry on with that program. I would think the Cal HC job would be his dream job, being the OC at 51 gets him on that path and puts him in a great position to contribute to the program.

No thank you. I would expect Wilcox to hire a guy based on merit rather than where he went to college.
HungryCalBear
YamhillBear said:

HungryCalBear said:

This Salt Lake columnist, back then, pretty much said Wittingham asked Taylor to move on

Thanks. That article doesn't cast a good light on Taylor.
82gradDLSdad
YamhillBear said:

HungryCalBear said:

This sounds like our Baldwin story. Almost to a T.
OzarkBear
YamhillBear said:

Back to the original topic, Brennan Marion's name came up today in terms of our OC position, albeit not in terms of us expressing interest in him, but in terms of him expressing interest in us. Currently OC at William and Mary.

Claim to coaching fame appears to be that he was OC for Howard when, as a 45-point underdog, they upset UNLV. Pretty sparse resume it seems to me. But he was also mentioned in terms of OC vacancies at Auburn and Syracuse, so maybe there's something there between the lines of the resume?
He wrote the book on his Go-Go offense

http://footballgameplan.com/gogooffense/

"The GoGo is a no-huddle, fast-paced offense.

At the end of each play, the QB and the offense look over to the sideline to get the call in from Marion. Once they get the signal on what play is next, the QB yells to his offense and they get set. There's no huddling, and there's very little time in between plays. If a team can do this and successfully gain first downs on a consistent basis, opposing defenses will get gassed very easily, especially in the 4th quarter. The issue with this fast, u- tempo offense, is that if your defense just had a long series and your offense rattles off a quick 3-and-out in a matter of 30-45 seconds, then your defense own ends up gassed. It's a double-edged sword for sure, but when executed successfully, it can work magic in today's NCAA game."

Don't think this would fit with JW's vision for an offense.
Big C
71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

No thank you. I would expect Wilcox to hire a guy based on merit rather than where he went to college.
Speaking of reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilcox picks somebody that he knows. Not saying "one of his buddies", but somebody that he personally trusts would be good. If it's not somebody he's worked with, then somebody that brings strong recommendations from people Wilcox has worked with.

So if anybody wants to do us some homework, what highly regarded offensive minds (somebody who might be available) have worked with Wilcox? And assuming DeRuyter has Wilcox's complete trust, same question for TDR.
pierrezo
FrankBear21 said:

Since Baldwin is coaching in the bowl, I wouldn't expect anything till Jan.
I was wondering about this. Is that the professional thing to do in this situation? Might a new OC be hired behind the scenes to get a head start (general preparation, recruiting)? Don't know the rules or etiquette.
71Bear
Big C said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

Speaking of reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilcox picks somebody that he knows. Not saying "one of his buddies", but somebody that he personally trusts would be good. If it's not somebody he's worked with, then somebody that brings strong recommendations from people Wilcox has worked with.

So if anybody wants to do us some homework, what highly regarded offensive minds (somebody who might be available) have worked with Wilcox? And assuming DeRuyter has Wilcox's complete trust, same question for TDR.
I fully expect Wilcox to select a guy with whom he is familiar or a guy who receives a strong recommendation from someone whose opinion is highly valued by Wilcox.
72CalBear
Replacements? Are you kidding me?? JW doesn't have to look any further than the BI board! Plenty of offensive experts here!!
Bear19
72CalBear said:

Replacements? Are you kidding me?? JW doesn't have to look any further than the BI board! Plenty of offensive experts here!!
And bring with them the cadre of fellow FG P-5 offensive Cognoscenti.
C6Bear
HungryCalBear said:

YamhillBear said:

HungryCalBear said:

No, this is a Whittingham problem. Taylor's offense is not his style and he shouldn't have hired him in the first place. A true Taylor offense would have given Oregon a game for the title, not the Ludwig/Whittingham borefest. Living in the Sacramento area and watching Sac St all year, the transformation from 2 win to a 10 win team was amazing with basically the same team from 2018. With even half the imagination of Sac St's offense this year, Cal would have been a 9 or 10 win team. I'm not advocating Taylor for OC, but Cal would be lucky to have him and should find someone like him to hire.
wifeisafurd
C6Bear said:

HungryCalBear said:

YamhillBear said:

HungryCalBear said:

No, this is a Whittingham problem. Taylor's offense is not his style and he shouldn't have hired him in the first place. A true Taylor offense would have given Oregon a game for the title, not the Ludwig/Whittingham borefest. Living in the Sacramento area and watching Sac St all year, the transformation from 2 win to a 10 win team was amazing with basically the same team from 2018. With even half the imagination of Sac St's offense this year, Cal would have been a 9 or 10 win team. I'm not advocating Taylor for OC, but Cal would be lucky to have him and should find someone like him to hire.
Could then have a Wilcox problem, because we look an awful lot like Utah lite. I'm thinking like '71 that it someone connected to Wilcox (or connected to someone who is connected to Wilcox). Also, given some of the staff's weaknesses, someone with recruiting chops and who runs an offense with Tight Ends, and is balanced (not a spread guy).
ducktilldeath
I'd go hard after Rhett Lashlee. Zak Hill at BSU is going to get a pay day pretty soon.
ducktilldeath
71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

I call this Ernie Kent syndrome. People who want a person, in any job at any level, just because they played/attented/coached/whatevered for your team/school/program/whatever, blow my mind. Would this person even be on the radar if they weren't a former xyz?
Big C
ducktilldeath said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

I call this Ernie Kent syndrome. People who want a person, in any job at any level, just because they played/attented/coached/whatevered for your team/school/program/whatever, blow my mind. Would this person even be on the radar if they weren't a former xyz?
We call it Joe Kapp syndrome, but there's a slight chance that it may be renamed Troy Taylor syndrome.
Oski87
Well, I think it is pretty clear that Troy Taylor has been successful as a coach everywhere he went, except perhaps to a place in Utah where the coach did not like his style of offense and ran him out - the same way he ran out every other offensive coordinator there.

Which is the outlier here - the guy who demands a slow, plodding offense that regularly lays an egg in a big-time game or the guy who consistently builds programs and moves them to the next level?

I am sure that Taylor will not be the coach at Cal but I can be sure that he will get a MW job soon or something similar and move up from there quickly.
calumnus
Big C said:

ducktilldeath said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

We call it Joe Kapp syndrome, but there's a slight chance that it may be renamed Troy Taylor syndrome.

People said the same thing about Ron Rivera in 2010. Turns out he was a good coach in the NFL and almost certainly would have been a good coach at Cal. He is saying now Cal is the only college team he would consider.

There is a big difference between taking someone unqualified because they are an alum and getting someone overqualified because they are an alum.

mdbear
Notre Dame just fired its OC even though the reason seems to be a bit of a mystery (their offense was doing well). I can't find any salary data because Notre Dame is so secretive. If the reason for his termination is Notre Dame's totally unrealistic expectations, he might be a possibility.
Rushinbear
mdbear said:

Notre Dame just fired its OC even though the reason seems to be a bit of a mystery (their offense was doing well). I can't find any salary data because Notre Dame is so secretive. If the reason for his termination is Notre Dame's totally unrealistic expectations, he might be a possibility.
If we got someone from that level, he probably would not be here long. Rather not have to go through this very often, even though we know it's a vagabond profession.

That points to a younger guy from a lower tier conference who needs a few years to show what he can do.

Just guessing that it'll be someone who very few of us have heard of, altho there's some deep diving going on among some BI activists.
XXXBEAR
71Bear said:

Big C said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

I fully expect Wilcox to select a guy with whom he is familiar or a guy who receives a strong recommendation from someone whose opinion is highly valued by Wilcox.
This.
BearlyCareAnymore
ducktilldeath said:

I'd go hard after Rhett Lashlee. Zak Hill at BSU is going to get a pay day pretty soon.

LOL
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

Big C said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

I agree with this; plus I would add the JW must be perfectly comfortable that the candidate 1. would be compatible with the style of football that JW wants to play, and 2 is someone he can trust implicitly.
FuzzyWuzzy
OaktownBear said:

ducktilldeath said:

LOL
Chris Peterson is out of a job.
umbertok
Tedford out of work as well...
BearlyCareAnymore
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

ducktilldeath said:

LOL
Chris Peterson is out of a job.

The Lol was for Cal pursuing Rhett Lashlee
kad02002
Brennan Marion. Unique run-based offense and a young guy with Bay Area connections.
NYCGOBEARS
kad02002 said:

Brennan Marion. Unique run-based offense and a young guy with Bay Area connections.
What's your opinion of his offense?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.