Next season schedule

6,398 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hail2Calif
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilner implied in his column that the holdup is that the ADs haven't approved the schedule, maybe because there are objections to something in what has been proposed.
DCW67MSW
I wasn't going to renew my season tickets because of the late games, weather and the long drive to and from Sacramento area. Had so much fun at Redbox bowl & optimism about next year, came up with a good idea. Bought cheap season tickets , with chair backs, that still include parking . This way if it's a late game or week night game ot inclement weather we just won't go unless we're undefeated.Will watch on TV & not feel cheated about wasting expensive tickets. Roll on you Bears!
wifeisafurd
Cal_79 said:

Please allow me to clarify with regard to renewing season tickets: How is the schedule relevant? Will you only renew if the schedule sets up in a particular way? Will you not renew if you don't like the way the schedule sets up?

My point is that the schedule is irrelevant to whether or not I renewed my season tickets. It's Cal Football.
I'm saying it matters in general. Not to either of us specifically, since we are going no matter what (or in my case,, subject to fi'ng spine cooperating).
oskidunker
Are you referring to bench backs or did you buy those seats they install on the benches?
Go Bears!
nwbear84
I come from out of state, once or twice a year, so like to plan way in advance. Picking what game(s), time of year, avoiding other travel plans, and getting a room. I assume the extremes for game time so just come in early on Saturday and leave on Sunday to accommodate the idiocy of the late announcement and existence of 11AM and 7:30PM starts.
DCW67MSW
The seats they install on the benches.
Hail2Calif
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Cal_79 said:

Please allow me to clarify with regard to renewing season tickets: How is the schedule relevant? Will you only renew if the schedule sets up in a particular way? Will you not renew if you don't like the way the schedule sets up?

My point is that the schedule is irrelevant to whether or not I renewed my season tickets. It's Cal Football.

It is relevant for aging fans who compose a large majority.
Also relevant to parents who have little-to-medium-size kids... even older kids, who have gazillions of activities. Maybe the parent is totally committed to Cal Football and buys 2 season tickets, no matter what. Well, they might buy 3-5, depending on the schedule.

Having two kids who are now 22 and 25 and have been going to Cal games all their lives (yes, each of my daughters attended games before they turned 1) I would say the impact of game day schedules had little to do with our decision to buy season tix or not

Over the decades, for parents of really young kids, we hired sitters for night games and brought them to warmer day games.

When they were elementary school aged, we actually increased our buys to they could bring friends and for years, Cal football was truly looked forward to by everyone - kids included

When they got into middle and high school and the gazillions of activities began to pile up (one of my girls eventually swam intercollegiately so any parent with athletes understand the time commitment involved with youth/age-group competitive athletics) we cut back on tix because some games both our daughters could go, many games one couldn't go so the other brought a friend. Frankly, during that period, night games were a lot easier for us to juggle

But at no time would knowing the schedule Dec, Jan or Feb have made a difference in whether we were going to buy or not.

The bigger determinant for how many of us would make the games really came during the season when wondering what time kick off was, not general dates confirmed 8-10 months earlier

We preferred day games over night games when they were younger and night games over day games as they got older.

Today, I personally enjoy night games more. I like playing under the lights, I think in general, more students can attend, and it allows me to do other stuff (business or recreational) during the day. As much business as I do in the Midwest where I am planning my travels around the Cal schedule, night games actually allow me to have a full business day on Fridays, and fly back late late Friday or early Saturday if they are night games

Not implying there isn't a group of fans affected by delay in releasing the general schedule in December vs Jan vs Feb, but it would seem for most people, it's more a curiosity than necessity this early in the year with the kickoff schedules announced 6 or 12 days in advance the harder issue to deal with
Big C
Hail2Calif said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Cal_79 said:

It is relevant for aging fans who compose a large majority.
Also relevant to parents who have little-to-medium-size kids... even older kids, who have gazillions of activities. Maybe the parent is totally committed to Cal Football and buys 2 season tickets, no matter what. Well, they might buy 3-5, depending on the schedule.

Having two kids who are now 22 and 25 and have been going to Cal games all their lives (yes, each of my daughters attended games before they turned 1) I would say the impact of game day schedules had little to do with our decision to buy season tix or not

Over the decades, for parents of really young kids, we hired sitters for night games and brought them to warmer day games.

When they were elementary school aged, we actually increased our buys to they could bring friends and for years, Cal football was truly looked forward to by everyone - kids included

When they got into middle and high school and the gazillions of activities began to pile up (one of my girls eventually swam intercollegiately so any parent with athletes understand the time commitment involved with youth/age-group competitive athletics) we cut back on tix because some games both our daughters could go, many games one couldn't go so the other brought a friend. Frankly, during that period, night games were a lot easier for us to juggle

But at no time would knowing the schedule Dec, Jan or Feb have made a difference in whether we were going to buy or not.

The bigger determinant for how many of us would make the games really came during the season when wondering what time kick off was, not general dates confirmed 8-10 months earlier

We preferred day games over night games when they were younger and night games over day games as they got older.

Today, I personally enjoy night games more. I like playing under the lights, I think in general, more students can attend, and it allows me to do other stuff (business or recreational) during the day. As much business as I do in the Midwest where I am planning my travels around the Cal schedule, night games actually allow me to have a full business day on Fridays, and fly back late late Friday or early Saturday if they are night games

Not implying there isn't a group of fans affected by delay in releasing the general schedule in December vs Jan vs Feb, but it would seem for most people, it's more a curiosity than necessity this early in the year with the kickoff schedules announced 6 or 12 days in advance the harder issue to deal with
Yeah, I guess I was bundling "kickoff times" in there, too, which is a different (but related) issue.

Good for you for getting your kids into your Cal Football passion and commitment! My reality has turned out to be at a lower level, but my kids certainly liked one of the Christmas presents they each got last month: Blow ups of the two of them with Evan Weaver, on the field after Big Game!
bearsandgiants
ColoradoBear
UCLA on Friday Nov 27th.

Not the worst for fulfilling our required 'weeknight' home game. It could even be during the day...

Bye week before Furd. Bye week before Utah.

About as good as it gets IMO.
Fyght4Cal
Definitely digging Thanksgiving Friday in Berkeley. I can understand those who might prefer that Saturday. But it may be the best Fall weekday to schedule a game.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Cal89
ColoradoBear said:

UCLA on Friday Nov 27th.

Not the worst for fulfilling our required 'weeknight' home game. It could even be during the day...

Totally agree on the two byes. Very nice spacing also...

https://calbears.com/sports/football/schedule

If a 2-loss regular season, I'd guess road games (LA and Tempe)...
Sig test...
Big C
ColoradoBear said:

UCLA on Friday Nov 27th.

What are the stats on teams coming off of bye weeks? I know it sounds like an advantage, but it seems like all too often the "well-rested" team comes out flat, like they've lost their edge.
HighlandDutch
10/31 game vs. UW. I think I know what my 2020 Halloween costume will be. I'm going to dress as a fan of a team with a two-game winning streak against the Mutts.
oskidunker
Schedule?...
Go Bears!
Hail2Calif
Fyght4Cal said:

Definitely digging Thanksgiving Friday in Berkeley. I can understand those who might prefer that Saturday. But it may be the best Fall weekday to schedule a game.

Well, if the season goes really well, playing Friday gives us one extra day to rest in advance of the Pac-12 Championship game, as most of the likely south opponents in that game are playing Saturday - so we got that in our favor as well!
Bear19
Hail2Calif said:

one of my girls eventually swam intercollegiately
That is awesome. Where did she go to college?
CALiforniALUM
HighlandDutch said:

10/31 game vs. UW. I think I know what my 2020 Halloween costume will be. I'm going to dress as a fan of a team with a two-game winning streak against the Mutts.

I hear 50 thousand dog catchers are being given tickets for the UW game that day. Nets and collar restraints will be allowed at the gate. Parking will be a nightmare with all those rolling kennel trucks looking for space, but the entire UW team and fans should fit by the end of the game.
Hail2Calif
UCSD.

Wasn't fast enough to swim for Cal, but for her, the discipline, time management, leadership (she eventually was named team captain her last 2 years) opportunities, and being able to swim at NCAAs were as important, if not more, than ending her swim career 4 years earlier at the age group level (had she elected to go to Cal). Life lessons that have helped her in many ways these first few years in her career path.
TandemBear
Hail2Calif said:

UCSD.

Wasn't fast enough to swim for Cal, but for her, the discipline, time management, leadership (she eventually was named team captain her last 2 years) opportunities, and being able to swim at NCAAs were as important, if not more, than ending her swim career 4 years earlier at the age group level (had she elected to go to Cal). Life lessons that have helped her in many ways these first few years in her career path.
Totally cool! I can't imagine the time commitment required for collegiate swimming. Kudos to her.

BTW, if she or you haven't read any of Susan Casey's works, I highly recommend them (The Devil's Teeth, The Wave, Voices in the Ocean). The Wave still stands as my favorite read. Casey's biography is interesting and compelling; it was swimming that led her on quite a journey, eventually landing within the big wave surf community researching her second best-seller. And it was her swimming bona fides that gave her the confidence and ability to "hang" with a truly aggro crowd dodging waves the size of six-story buildings! (She also discovered, in the process, that she was a more-skilled open water swimmer than pool competitor.)

I really love Casey's writing and as a former collegiate swimmer, I think your daughter would appreciate Casey and her works.
Hail2Calif
Thanks - will pass that on!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.