Niners vs AR

9,362 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal89
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Mercury News writers are predicting a Niners rout of the Packers and writing articles about the dream SB matchup against the Chiefs. This is causing this ex Raiders fan, new Niners fan, to have all kinds of interesting thoughts.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
Hey, any given Sunday . . .

But I think the 49ers are significantly better than the Packers, as an all-around roster. They should win.
C6Bear
I don't like the talk, but that's what the media and fans do. The game still has to be played and there are too many variables that can still happen. On paper, the 49ers are the stronger team. But, as they say, the game isn't played on paper. The sports books seem to agree giving the Pack the longest odds for winning a Super Bowl.
bearister said:

The Mercury News writers are predicting a Niners rout of the Packers and writing articles about the dream SB matchup against the Chiefs. This is causing this ex Raiders fan, new Niners fan, to have all kinds of interesting thoughts.

https://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/1969-miami-pool-10-jan.jpg
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401128108
bearister
AR may be good for getting a couple of deep PI calls at critical junctures. I want AR to throw for 300 yards, 3TD...but Niners get the W.
okaydo
I'll just note that Rodgers won his only Super Bowl not only with the help of DeSean Jackson but when they were barely given a chance.

The Packers tend to suck when they're considered the better team.
kirklandblue
bearister said:

AR may be good for getting a couple of deep PI calls at critical junctures. I want AR to throw for 300 yards, 3TD...but Niners get the W.

If you nail this one also like the last one a couple weeks ago your under-the-radar days are over.
calgo430
not so fast. upsets happen.
heartofthebear
I don't think it will be a rout but I agree that it will be 49ers vs. KC in the SB, although the Titans may surprise.
As a 49er fan, I would rather face the Titans because I don't think they match up well against KC.
heartofthebear
73 said:

bearister said:

LOL
Atlanta won because Kittle caused his own fumble during a drive clinching play. Had he not made an extremely rare flukish mistake, he gets the game clinching first down and SF wins.

If you think a guy like Kittle is going to let that happen again, or the chances of any such flukish play are enough to even mention it, then you haven't been paying attention.

Sure anything can happen on any Sunday but the purpose of threads like this is to weigh in on what is most likely or what is preferred.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL
Atlanta won because Kittle caused his own fumble during a drive clinching play. Had he not made an extremely rare flukish mistake, he gets the game clinching first down and SF wins.

If you think a guy like Kittle is going to let that happen again, or the chances of any such flukish play are enough to even mention it, then you haven't been paying attention.

Sure anything can happen on any Sunday but the purpose of threads like this is to weigh in on what is most likely or what is preferred.

Also the 49ers defense was missing a lot of guys they aren't missing now.
heartofthebear
sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.
The extent to which folks try to discount one of the most impressive seasons in NFL history is so amateur. I mean the 49ers lost 1 game by 1 inch and two others on a game ending field goal--that's it! And all of it happened with major defensive players injured. Had their schedule not also been grueling, they could very well have gone 16-0 this season.
Well now they have health and schedule on their side and they are essentially unbeatable under those conditions.
Cal89
heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.
The extent to which folks try to discount one of the most impressive seasons in NFL history is so amateur. I mean the 49ers lost 1 game by 1 inch and two others on a game ending field goal--that's it! And all of it happened with major defensive players injured. Had their schedule not also been grueling, they could very well have gone 16-0 this season.
Well now they have health and schedule on their side and they are essentially unbeatable under those conditions.
I really don't follow the NFL that much, at least until this time of year, but when I watched the 49ers play, they were damn impressive. Also, were they expected to have such a good team? I seem to recall there was no such talk in the pre-season, high expectations, etc...
Sig test...
westcoast101
The Packers have have the quarterback edge, but the Niners are the better team. This game will be a lot closer than in November, but I still think the Niners prevail.
Cave Bear
100% rooting for Rodgers to win this big time legacy game in his old stomping grounds against his childhood favorite team that passed on drafting him. Rodgers is 0-2 career postseason vs SF and hasn't yet played to his standard against them. Hopefully third time's the charm.
sycasey
Cal89 said:

heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.
I really don't follow the NFL that much, at least until this time of year, but when I watched the 49ers play, they were damn impressive. Also, were they expected to have such a good team? I seem to recall there was no such talk in the pre-season, high expectations, etc...

Some thought they could improve enough to get a playoff spot, if Shanahan could build an offense around a healthy Jimmy G. I don't think anyone expected the defense to be this good.
Cal89
sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.

Some thought they could improve enough to get a playoff spot, if Shanahan could build an offense around a healthy Jimmy G. I don't think anyone expected the defense to be this good.
Thanks. From when I followed the NFL quite a bit, such an occurrence is rare. From being a team that might make the playoffs to like the most dominant, or close to it, is something special. I had no idea they were 4-12 last year! Any talk of this being the biggest one season turn-around ever? If not, it must rank up there...
Sig test...
bluehenbear
sycasey
Cal89 said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.

Thanks. From when I followed the NFL quite a bit, such an occurrence is rare. From being a team that might make the playoffs to like the most dominant, or close to it, is something special. I had no idea they were 4-12 last year! Any talk of this being the biggest one season turn-around ever? If not, it must rank up there...
I can think of some big ones. The 1981 49ers are a big example (2-14 to 6-10 to 13-3), and there are some parallels to the current team: people already knew Bill Walsh was a smart offensive coach and Montana an interesting young QB, but that team became championship level because their defense suddenly became great.

For an exact record comparison, there's the 1999 Rams (4-12 to 13-3).
Cal89
sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

73 said:

bearister said:

LOL

Exactly.

I can think of some big ones. The 1981 49ers are a big example (2-14 to 6-10 to 13-3), and there are some parallels to the current team: people already knew Bill Walsh was a smart offensive coach and Montana an interesting young QB, but that team became championship level because their defense suddenly became great.

For an exact record comparison, there's the 1999 Rams (4-12 to 13-3).
Yes, the '99 Rams. I was following the NFL then, but just a few years later I would not... Warner, Faulk, those receivers, the "Greatest Show on Turf". The point being, the Niners have done something quite remarkable this season. Pulling for AR and the Packers, but I can appreciate damn good football.
Sig test...
bearister
Cave Bear said:

100% rooting for Rodgers to win this big time legacy game in his old stomping grounds against his childhood favorite team that passed on drafting him. Rodgers is 0-2 career postseason vs SF and hasn't yet played to his standard against them. Hopefully third time's the charm.

Answer: AR has to be the recipient of two key PI calls and Jimmy G needs to throw two INT.

Question: What has to happen for the Packers to beat the Niners.

okaydo
In this video, O.J. Simpson says something to Aaron Rodgers that he's previously said to Nicole Brown Simpson.

bearister
"52 years ago today, the NFL's defending champion Green Bay Packers defeated the AFL champion Oakland Raiders, 33-14, in Super Bowl II at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

MVP: Packers QB Bart Starr (13/24, 202 yds, TD) was named Super Bowl MVP for the second straight year." Axios

My dad was friends with a man that did CPA work for the Raiders. He got me a white paneled ball signed by the Raiders after the game. I still have it. I had asked for a jersey but was told "only players can have jerseys." Do you think I was on to an idea there? I don't think they were for sale to fans until the late 70's or early 80's.
bearister
okaydo said:

In this video, O.J. Simpson says something to Aaron Rodgers that he's previously said to Nicole Brown Simpson.

My one word response to anything involving OJ: Wetwork
B.A. Bearacus
Calling on Okaydo to provide an FAQ for all the questions we will get about Aaron Rodgers' personal life at various group settings for the NFC Championship Game.

Example:

I heard that he doesn't speak with his family. What was that all about? Please provide definitive, ready-made answers for your Cal brethren so that we can go back to drinking beer and eating chips.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Calling on Okaydo to provide an FAQ for all the questions we will get about Aaron Rodgers' personal life at various group settings for the NFC Championship Game.

Example:

I heard that he doesn't speak with his family. What was that all about? Please provide definitive, ready-made answers for your Cal brethren so that we can go back to drinking beer and eating chips.

10 Things We Know About Jordan and Aaron Rodgers' Feud

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/things-we-know-about-jordan-aaron-rodgers-feud.html/

Dlisted | Aaron Rodgers Is Making Up With His Family

https://dlisted.com/2019/10/31/aaron-rodgers-is-making-up-with-his-family/
FLC
Original Super Bowl matchup. Super Bowl #1 AFL champion K.C. Chiefs vs NFL champion Green Bay Packers. Time for a rematch?
Cal89
FLC said:

Original Super Bowl matchup. Super Bowl #1 AFL champion K.C. Chiefs vs NFL champion Green Bay Packers. Time for a rematch?
I imagine State Farm would like that too...
Sig test...
okaydo
bearister said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Example:

10 Things We Know About Jordan and Aaron Rodgers' Feud

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/things-we-know-about-jordan-aaron-rodgers-feud.html/

Dlisted | Aaron Rodgers Is Making Up With His Family

https://dlisted.com/2019/10/31/aaron-rodgers-is-making-up-with-his-family/

There have been reports of him making up with his family for a while now. He kind of alluded to it at his locker in 2018. But that allusion may have been taken out of context...until I see pictures of him on his brothers' social media accounts, I'm assuming they're still feuding. (I don't visit the brothers' social media, but I do read every People magazine and Us weekly tweet, and if something happens, it would be there.)

People Magazine is my No. 2 source for Cal football news after BI.

B.A. Bearacus
Can anyone recall the last time a team got curb stomped, spat on, then tossed in a dumpster and left for dead like the Packers did earlier this year (11/24 to be exact), who then went on to win the rematch later that season with the same QB? I pray that this game is competitive.

Niners: 37
Packers 8

Rodgers: 20-33, 104 YDS, 1 TD.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

Can anyone recall the last time a team got curb stomped, spat on, then tossed in a dumpster and left for dead like the Packers did earlier this year (11/24 to be exact), who then went on to win the rematch later that season with the same QB? I pray that this game is competitive.

Packers 8

Obviously, not what you were asking for, but...

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
Here's my prediction: LaFleur will be coaching in this year's Super Bowl. You can count on it.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Packers 8

Well, I guess we'll find out if Jimmy G is a choke or not. If he throws 2 INT, Packers win. I want SF to win because I have always liked Santa Clara.
B.A. Bearacus

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.