Ed Orgeron is a National Championship coach

3,054 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BancroftBear93
Callisto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A guy who won 10 games over three seasons at Ole Miss won the National Championship.

Now admittedly, winning at LSU and winning at Ole Miss are not remotely the same thing. But that was not the future I saw for this guy even when he was kicking our ass in recruiting at USC. To me, this is right up there with Marv "Punting on Third Down" Levy becoming a four time Super Bowl runnerup running the cutting edge offense in the NFL at that time. Something so improbable that Hollywood would never make a movie of it because the audience just won't buy it. Like the Warriors dominatiing the NBA for five years.

And that actually happened too.

So I feel like the world is open to even crazier possibilities.

Like someday I'll actually see Cal win the Pac 12 title in football.
heartofthebear
It's amazing his players can hear a word he says. It's like he swallowed a hair ball and can't get it out.
jy1988
I will never root for this guy. Back when he was at 'SC, in the days before targeting penalties, he used to encourage his players to "headhunt" the opposing team. He was crude and brute. I'm glad he's not with the Pac anymore. One of the "if you can't beat them, knock them out of the game" kind of guys.
pasadenaorbust
Orgeron is one step away from the WWE. When he arrived at LSU, he probably thought to himself..."You mean I can get away with more stuff here then I did at Mississippi?"
Cave Bear
SC fans are having yet another melt down over this. Reading between the lines, all of their sufferings are part of a greater deep state conspiracy to destroy their heritage and turn them into an Ivy League school, which they regard as dystopic.
tigertim
Cave Bear said:

SC fans are having yet another melt down over this. Reading between the lines, all of their sufferings are part of a greater deep state conspiracy to destroy their heritage and turn them into an Ivy League school, which they regard as dystopic.
Heh, that's optimistic. If this keeps up, they're just gonna be USC with a bad football team, not Harvard.
dimitrig
tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

Heh, that's optimistic. If this keeps up, they're just gonna be USC with a bad football team, not Harvard.

USC with a bad football team = Vanderbilt

01Bear
dimitrig said:

tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

You must really hate Vanderbilt to malign it like that.
txwharfrat
dimitrig said:

tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

$C is nowhere near Vandy academically! This is a crazy comparison.
510 Bear
txwharfrat said:

Their campus cultures are nothing alike either.
Oski87
510 Bear said:

txwharfrat said:

Their campus cultures are nothing alike either.
$C with a bad football team = Pepperdine.
510 Bear
Oski87 said:

Or maybe Loyola Marymount or Santa Clara, with all those country club members masquerading as college students. USC is basically those two schools with a lot more branding.
hanky1
People can learn and grow. Coaches are people too.
BearBoarBlarney
510 Bear said:

Oski87 said:

Or maybe Loyola Marymount or Santa Clara, with all those country club members masquerading as college students. USC is basically those two schools with a lot more branding.

Setting aside my own ingrained anti-USC biases, how true is that really? Yes, USC is a master of branding, but from what I've seen going through the college admissions process with my own kid recently is that USC enrolls a much higher caliber of students than say, Pepperdine, LMU, and SCU, its got a large and expansive graduate school, and its volume of research activity is in line with that of the UC schools and other large research-oriented state U's.

To this very day, I dislike USC for reasons that crystallized in my mind during the 80s & 90s, but my sense is that USC is a much better school today than it was 30-40 years ago. Lori Loughlin's mensa-level offspring notwithstanding.,
wifeisafurd
Callisto said:

A guy who won 10 games over three seasons at Ole Miss won the National Championship.

Now admittedly, winning at LSU and winning at Ole Miss are not remotely the same thing. But that was not the future I saw for this guy even when he was kicking our ass in recruiting at USC. To me, this is right up there with Marv "Punting on Third Down" Levy becoming a four time Super Bowl runnerup running the cutting edge offense in the NFL at that time. Something so improbable that Hollywood would never make a movie of it because the audience just won't buy it. Like the Warriors dominatiing the NBA for five years.

It is ironic, but the SC players loved the guy, as did the donor/fan base. The guy sounds like a bubba, but has a wicked sense of humor and can be surprisingly intellectual in fromt to the right audience (or so I'm told). And surprisingly, the heavy Cajun accent really goes down when in front of the alum groups (again, so I'm told). Think Ed is playing everyone a bit.

As for ethics, let me quote Coach Fox when he cane down to SoCal on the coaches swing: there are ethical guys in the SEC, but no such thing as ethics when it comes to recruiting in the SEC. (Keep the Fox line here).
Hei Bei
hanky1 said:

People can learn and grow. Coaches are people too.
Other than Aaron Rodgers, amiright?
BancroftBear93
I am having way too much fun ****ting on my USC friends over this. The best part is that they let him go because he was crude and didn't fit their self-image. (snobby *******s) They all worship Pete Carroll over there.
BancroftBear93
wifeisafurd said:

Callisto said:

It is ironic, but the SC players loved the guy, as did the donor/fan base. The guy sounds like a bubba, but has a wicked sense of humor and can be surprisingly intellectual in fromt to the right audience (or so I'm told). And surprisingly, the heavy Cajun accent really goes down when in front of the alum groups (again, so I'm told). Think Ed is playing everyone a bit.

As for ethics, let me quote Coach Fox when he cane down to SoCal on the coaches swing: there are ethical guys in the SEC, but no such thing as ethics when it comes to recruiting in the SEC. (Keep the Fox line here).
I disagree. The USC donors that I know made excuses and hemmed and hawed, but at the end of the day, the hick had to go, simple as that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.