New RB Coach: Aristotle Thompson

16,413 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 79 Bear
Yogi1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

UrsaMajor said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong see this as head scratcher. Not particularly strong hire.

To be fair, Cal Strong never heard of this guy. So maybe he surprise everyone and turn out to be strong.

But this also strongly fair to say -- Aristotle coach for 19 years and only became position coach at two small time programs. He went from one to a HS (Cal Strong assume he was fired). Then at his second job, no one tried to poach him for a decade. This not a strong sign.
Sorry, this be weak post. Saying someone is not strong because YOU never heard of him = weak.
Illiteracy WEAK! Ursa need to be more like Cal, less like weak illiterate. Cal not weak illiterate.

Cal Strong not hearing of him not part of Cal Strong's argument.
Ursa too much like faux insider. Acting like faux insider weak. Blindly supporting authority just because is authority weak. Skepticism and waiting for results strong. Cal Strong not say hire is weak hire. Cal Strong say not definitively strong like McClure hire. Hiring proven performer strong. Hiring up and coming performer can be strong too, but need to prove self.

Possible coach really like SLO. Mike like SLO. Mike like Berkeley too. Mike think maybe he like Berkeley at double the pay better than he like SLO. FCS football not weak, but not as strong as FBS with improved smoothie stations.

Ursa need to be more like Cal and FBS program, less like Cal Poly and FCS program.
Yogi1
Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

I'm hoping there was a connection with the Fresno area. I'd love it if we could land more academically eligible talent out of Fresno/Clovis area.
Since when has there been academically eligible talent out of Fresno/Clovis area?
Perhaps you would like to take that up with Ricky Correia and Jeremiah Hunter. I'm sure they would be pleased to hear that one of our fans assumes that they are stupid because they come from Fresno.
calumnus
Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

I'm hoping there was a connection with the Fresno area. I'd love it if we could land more academically eligible talent out of Fresno/Clovis area.
Since when has there been academically eligible talent out of Fresno/Clovis area?

You are insulting guys like Zack Follett?
GivemTheAxe
Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

Hey! I resemble that remark. (To quote the Three stooges)
I graduated from a Fresno area HS. And have THREE degrees from Cal. BA, MA and JD.
Fyght4Cal
Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
BearlyClad
Hey, just found out about this hire. This is great news. I know the guy, know players who played for him. The players all like him and he is a great motivator. He takes recruiting very seriously. The guy is a winner. He's no BS'er, knows his stuff.

He has a great group to work with here so this is set to be an awesome year for that group. A great get imho. He had a good situation in a great area to live, so I wouldn't hold that (his time there) against him. Maybe that's even a big plus, because it might be an indicator he'd prefer to stay rather than move around a lot.

Notably perhaps, a big recruiting factor there (I heard the spiel) is the academics, so Aristotle knows how to push that lever, as well.

Also of note, he took a guy we knew who had come in as a linebacker from LA area, and turned him into an All-Big Sky and second team FCS All-American running back.
Cal8285
BearlyClad said:

Hey, just found out about this hire. This is great news. I know the guy, know players who played for him. The players all like him and he is a great motivator. He takes recruiting very seriously. The guy is a winner. He's no BS'er, knows his stuff.

He has a great group to work with here so this is set to be an awesome year for that group. A great get imho. He had a good situation in a great area to live, so I wouldn't hold that (his time there) against him. Maybe that's even a big plus, because it might be an indicator he'd prefer to stay rather than move around a lot.

Notably perhaps, a big recruiting factor there (I heard the spiel) is the academics, so Aristotle knows how to push that lever, as well.

Also of note, he took a guy we knew who had come in as a linebacker from LA area, and turned him into an All-Big Sky and second team FCS All-American running back.
The RB your talking about is probably Brandon Howe. As a fullback in 2014, he gained 867 yards at 4.7 yards per carry, 10 TDs, and NEVER was tackled for a loss. Carrying the ball nearly 200 times and never losing a yard? That is pretty amazing, coaching must have something to do with that.
BancroftBear93
Socrates > Plato >Aristotle.

Every Cal rhetoric major knows this.
Bear19
GivemTheAxe said:

Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

Hey! I resemble that remark. (To quote the Three stooges)
I graduated from a Fresno area HS. And have THREE degrees from Cal. BA, MA and JD.
That is impressive indeed. Well done.
Bear19
calumnus said:

Bear19 said:

heartofthebear said:

You are insulting guys like Zack Follett?
No, just making a silly comment. I'm sure Fresno area kids aren't different academically than kids from other areas. Love the defending Fresno area comments.
Bear19
MoragaBear said:

When you're down at one point to a senior walk-on at LT who had never played, a redshirt frosh not ready to play at OG, a rs frosh at center who had never played there in his life, an undersized (270) true frosh right guard and only one starter for awhile, it absolutely impacted things.

They'll have far more depth that will be in much better position to contribute in a meaningful way in 2020 and the run game should be much better off for it.
Amazing how FG people just refuse to acknowledge that RB & QB play is tied directly to OL performance. Really, demonstrates ignorance of how football works, at any level.
Bear19
B.A. Bearacus said:

Poaching a coach from Beau Baldwin's staff at Cal Poly. Wilcox overlapped with him at Boise State.
Given how poorly BB has been regarded on FG, I'm surprised Baldwin's decision not to retain Aristotle & Wilcox's hiring him isn't being hailed on FG as proof positive that Aristotle is the steal of the century.
Hei Bei
Bear19 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Poaching a coach from Beau Baldwin's staff at Cal Poly. Wilcox overlapped with him at Boise State.
Given how poorly BB has been regarded on FG, I'm surprised Baldwin's decision not to retain Aristotle & Wilcox's hiring him isn't being hailed on FG as proof positive that Aristotle is the steal of the century.
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/92604/replies/1689747

https://media2.giphy.com/media/5zs7PKZVNu4toH0jC4/giphy.gif
Cal8285
Bear19 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Actually, Baldwin did retain Aristotle. He only retained 2 assistants, in his first batch of 4 assistant hires announced, including Edwards, the only coach retained was Aristotle. In his second batch of 3 assistant hires announced January 2, he also retained the outside linebackers coach (who played at SLO from 2012-16 and coached his first year in 2019).

So yes, Wilcox poached a coach from Beau. Only fair, since Beau poached a coach from Wilcox. But for those not fond of Baldwin, perhaps the fact that Baldwin retained him makes him LESS of a steal.
MSaviolives
Coach AT says he's ready to recruit in the P12
calbear93
That's promising.
calumnus
Cal8285 said:

Bear19 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Actually, Baldwin did retain Aristotle. He only retained 2 assistants, in his first batch of 4 assistant hires announced, including Edwards, the only coach retained was Aristotle. In his second batch of 3 assistant hires announced January 2, he also retained the outside linebackers coach (who played at SLO from 2012-16 and coached his first year in 2019).

So yes, Wilcox poached a coach from Beau. Only fair, since Beau poached a coach from Wilcox. But for those not fond of Baldwin, perhaps the fact that Baldwin retained him makes him LESS of a steal.

The coach Baldwin "poached" was the coach he brought with him from EWU.

Baldwin has a good record in hiring coaches. He hired Troy Taylor as his OC at EWU who turned around Sac State, winning a share of the conference championship in his first year scoring as many points against UC Davis (27) as Cal did with a healthy Garbers and all our OL starters.

Baldwin's prior OC became his successor at EWU and had the 2nd best offense in FCS this year scoring more than 40 points per game.

In fact it appears to me Baldwin has a lot of the qualities that make for a good HChe has an eye for coaching talent and he delegates, he is a likeable, positive, high energy guy.

Thompson and Musgrave will have talent to work with:
Brown
Dancy
Collins
Brooks
Street
Moore

I hope we get some of the speedier players on the field (maybe some in the slot?) and spread the load, with Brown playing more as a FB/power back.
dimitrig
BancroftBear93 said:

Morons!
82gradDLSdad
BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

(I knew my philosophy degree would come in handy)
Cal Strong!
Mike Zillion said:

Cal Strong! said:

UrsaMajor said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong see this as head scratcher. Not particularly strong hire.

To be fair, Cal Strong never heard of this guy. So maybe he surprise everyone and turn out to be strong.

But this also strongly fair to say -- Aristotle coach for 19 years and only became position coach at two small time programs. He went from one to a HS (Cal Strong assume he was fired). Then at his second job, no one tried to poach him for a decade. This not a strong sign.
Sorry, this be weak post. Saying someone is not strong because YOU never heard of him = weak.
Illiteracy WEAK! Ursa need to be more like Cal, less like weak illiterate. Cal not weak illiterate.

Cal Strong not hearing of him not part of Cal Strong's argument.
Ursa too much like faux insider. Acting like faux insider weak. Blindly supporting authority just because is authority weak. Skepticism and waiting for results strong. Cal Strong not say hire is weak hire. Cal Strong say not definitively strong like McClure hire. Hiring proven performer strong. Hiring up and coming performer can be strong too, but need to prove self.

Possible coach really like SLO. Mike like SLO. Mike like Berkeley too. Mike think maybe he like Berkeley at double the pay better than he like SLO. FCS football not weak, but not as strong as FBS with improved smoothie stations.

Ursa need to be more like Cal and FBS program, less like Cal Poly and FCS program.
Mike Zillion posting STRONG today! Like Cal . . . and Cal Strong . . . and Berkeley.

Cal STRONG!!!!
Californium
dimitrig said:

BancroftBear93 said:

Morons!
Then I challenge you to a battle of wits
79 Bear
" You're that smart are you?"
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

I don't get your Hume-r.
KenBurnski
Really? I think it's pretty Camus-ing
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

Californium
79 Bear said:

82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

Love the philosophers' song.
79 Bear
Californium said:

79 Bear said:

To Californium: Thanks. I'm going to have to brush up on my Princess Bride lines. "Anybody want a peanut?"
Californium
79 Bear said:

To Californium: Thanks. I'm going to have to brush up on my Princess Bride lines. "Anybody want a peanut?"
Oh, not criticizing a slight misquote (or I'd be in the line of fire, myself ) just using the reference as an excuse to post a funny scene for everyone's enjoyment.
GivemTheAxe
BancroftBear93 said:

Is Cal scheduled to play any team which has a coach named "Socrates" or "Plato"
If not, then we are OK with Aristotle

Imagine a recruit going home and telling his parents, "I'm going to be taught by Aristotle".
How cool is that?
BearlyClad
GivemTheAxe said:

BancroftBear93 said:

Is Cal scheduled to play any team which has a coach named "Socrates" or "Plato"
If not, then we are OK with Aristotle

Imagine a recruit going home and telling his parents, "I'm going to be taught by Aristotle".
How cool is that?
I doubt he punches anybody who calls him that, but he really goes by "A.T."
OneKeg
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

I don't get your Hume-r.
Easy there - we don't want this thread Locke-d.
calbear93
OneKeg said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

BancroftBear93 said:

I Kant get behind this.

I don't get your Hume-r.
Easy there - we don't want this thread Locke-d.
The moderators must know that no one here Wittgenstein for that type of censorship (sorry, that was bad. I admit it).
calbear93
KenBurnski said:

Really? I think it's pretty Camus-ing
Don't Confucius with those who enjoy that type of banter.
rkt88edmo
79 Bear said:

Californium said:

79 Bear said:

What is "Stop that right now and I mean it!"?

I'll take six fingered men for $1000 Alex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.