Cal football expecting a Full House in 2020

7,549 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MugsVanSant
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

bear2034
Raider fans are welcome to join.

LunchTime
oskirules said:

no
71Bear
oskirules said:

Raiders with some affiliation to Cal are welcome (the same goes for Niner fans). Professional fans who have no association with the school? No thanks.....
heartofthebear
That's a pretty cool little video.
Hei Bei
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

Raiders with some affiliation to Cal are welcome (the same goes for Niner fans). Professional fans who have no association with the school? No thanks.....
Anyone who wants to root for Cal is welcome. School affiliation not required.

I rooted for the team before I got admitted. I even admit it.
GMP
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

This is some real elitist crap, especially so for a guy who doesn't go to games.
Bear19
GMP said:

71Bear said:

oskirules said:

This is some real elitist crap, especially so for a guy who doesn't go to games.
We are an elitist University. Sniff, sniff. Let the hoi polloi grovel without their black facepaint & spiked shoulder pads.
Yogi1
GMP said:

71Bear said:

oskirules said:

I'm so glad you took the brave step of taking offense. Not only did you get to express your faux outrage, you got to play the "I'm a better fan than you" card. 1,000 woke points and 8 blue stars deposited to your account.

For what it's worth, anyone who wants to root I'm happy to have them. Oregon's fanbase almost certainly is filled with a bunch of locals with no direct ties to the university and USC as well (unless they abandoned ship).
CALiforniALUM
heartofthebear said:

That's a pretty cool little video.

Maybe they weren't trying to jinx it, but there was a certain omission from that video towards the end.

A Rose
Rushinbear
okaydo said:

Love to see the smiles and laughing.
ColoradoBear
59bear
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

How do you define association? Attendance? Employment? Family member in either of the aforementioned categories? Seems a bit elitist. I'm sure there are folks out there who are just like football, whether pro, college or HS, who might have an interest in supporting Cal through attendance. I agree we don't need the "zombies" from the "Black Hole" but I wouldn't exclude anyone solely due to lack of "association".
510 Bear
If they were going with the Full House theme, they should have used this instead.

GivemTheAxe
Hei Bei said:

71Bear said:

oskirules said:

Anyone who wants to root for Cal is welcome. School affiliation not required.

I rooted for the team before I got admitted. I even admit it.

Heck I would include anyone who thinks he/she/they might WANT to root for Cal.
socaltownie
LOL. We need all the fans we can get. Come one come all.....

And look at my new signature ;-)
Take care of your Chicken
MilleniaBear
While I might not agree with the elitism I do have reservations about some of the crew that show up at pro games - the guys packing guns who tailgate and never go into the game, guys who think a fight is part of the game experience, etc.
ColoradoBear
I'd welcome any raiders fan who went to college and doesn't have a criminal record.

Yep, All two of em!
TomBear
As a longtime Raider fan, who went to his first Cal game in 1957, don't tell me I'm not welcome. I'll crash your party and trash you too!
pierrezo
Mike Zillion said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

oskirules said:

I'm so glad you took the brave step of taking offense. Not only did you get to express your faux outrage, you got to play the "I'm a better fan than you" card. 1,000 woke points and 8 blue stars deposited to your account.

For what it's worth, anyone who wants to root I'm happy to have them. Oregon's fanbase almost certainly is filled with a bunch of locals with no direct ties to the university and USC as well (unless they abandoned ship).

I think you just did the same thing.
BGolden
oskirules said:

It'd be interesting to see how orphaned Raiders fans dressed for Cal games. They're a creative lot. I can only imagine the Oski cosplay.
510 Bear
There are quite a few ex-Raiders fans who adopted USC. If another group of ex-Raiders fans adopts Cal, maybe we'll see showdowns at the Cal-USC games between these two groups.
going4roses
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

Well well well ... I guess that means I should no longer be Cal (football) follower hmm

By the way I don't care for the raiders nor the niners
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
wifeisafurd
loved looking at the Axe being held.
LateHit
Attendance at USC games is directly related to how many Southern California parole officers are working on game days.
And now that the schedule has been announced, I can reserve my armored vehicle to get to the game in October.
Cal8285
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

Wow, so you don't think I should have started coming to games in high school? I was a professional fan who moved to the Bay Area at age 14. I moved away from my team, as opposed to my team moving away from me, but still, like Raiders fans, I lost my team due to a move, and even after my move, I had no association with the school except living nearby, similar to Raiders fans who have no association except they live nearby. I couldn't become a Raiders fan in the 1970's, I developed a strong dislike for them due to my love a professional team from where I used to live. Raiders season tickets were sold out anyway, and I could only afford what my dad would take me to. The only football to have season tickets to was Cal.

I became a fan. Going to games as a professional fan with no association with the school, but becoming a Cal fan, made me want to have an association with the school, and I ended up there for 7 years and 2 degrees.

If I had not become a Cal fan by going to games as a professional fan with no association with the school, I could have ended up at Northwestern, or, God forbid, LSJU, and who knows how much my life might suck right now.

You could argue that it is OK for kids, but kids start going through their parents, like I did. My dad, like me, was a professional fan who lost his team due to a move, couldn't possibly become a Raiders fan, and found the easiest football to attend was Cal. In the end, he was more of a 49ers fan than a Cal fan, but just by going to Cal games for a couple of years, he helped turn his kid into a Cal student and a lifelong Cal fan. Those who have gone to professional games in the 21st Century will find it a lot more economical to bring their kids to Cal games than to professional games (even if it isn't as economical as it was in the 1970's).

How can we object to anyone who might want to be a Cal fan after losing their team to a move, just because they have no association with the school? I think it is especially crazy for someone who doesn't even attend games himself to object to this. Will it make your viewing experience from your couch less comfortable if former Raiders fans with no association with Cal start attending Cal games?

We need more Cal fans, and if it comes from someone losing their professional team and looking for another team to follow, well, they might find the college game more enjoyable to attend and find love for the Bears. I lost my team, starting attending Cal games, and here I am 45 years later. Yet today, you would not welcome someone like me to attend Cal games. Sheesh.
Chabbear
Years ago, Cal did a study of football season ticket holders. If memory serves me right, about 8% of the football season ticket holders had no other relationship to the college as a student or staff. In my group we have one token Cal alum out of the six of us. Out of the rest of us, one grew up in the area and went to games through the kids school safety program where they got free tickets and the rest of us came to the bay area as adults. 3 have degrees from other colleges and two have no degrees. We all love Cal and have season tickets to multiple Cal sports and support the college with donations.
hanky1
We are not in a position to turn away a willing fan group. That's ridiculous
nwbear84
Well that's good to hear. I always figured there were very few Cal fans who weren't alums or parents. I'm still betting, living here in Husky land, that their percentage of non-associated fans is greater. One of the reasons I've always thought was many years with no pro teams and then pretty unsuccessful ones leaves a bit of a sports fan vacuum. I would say the biggest factors though is the wall to wall, all day long sports radio coverage. Something that doesn't really exist for Cal.
Go!Bears
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

If what you are saying is that we do not want a "Black Hole" at Memorial, I can see that. But it would be nice to see some gathering of "Ultras". I know it is supposed to be the students, but I am not sure that could happen. I'd love to see what Raider refugees could bring.
MSaviolives
A few years back I started a thread here asking for people's affiliation with Cal. I was surprised by the number of posters indicating that they did not go to Cal or ever work there. We need all the fans we can find--I, for one, don't care if they are bandwagon types or didn't go to Cal. Root for Cal, you are good with me.
HearstMining
It appears to me that the fan-bases at Pac12 (or at least the original Pac8) schools are primarily made up of alumni and maybe faculty/employees. But you go back to the Midwest (UM, OSU) and South (Alabama, Georgia, Texas, etc) and many of the fans never even sniffed a college, yet are rabid fans of the major university sports teams. I live in Granite Bay and neighbors of ours who grew up in Kansas but have lived here for 30 years drove 150 miles down to the Kansas-Stanford basketball game a few weeks ago and they weren't KU alumni. But Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk!

I grew up in Berkeley and spent my formative years sitting in the north and south end-zones (mostly with friends, my parents had no interest) which was where the townies generally sat. Even though I was a Cal student during the best of the Mike White era, it was those early years that cemented the loyalty. So, if some former Raider fans want to come to a Cal game, I'm all for it. Maybe it will inspire their kids to apply.
Sebastabear
I'd take anyone who wanted to go to games, root for the Bears and add to our home field advantage. Hell, I'd even take ex-Stanford fans who wanted to escape from that Taco Bell hellhole and embrace the light. Come one, come all.
510 Bear
Sebastabear said:

I'd take anyone who wanted to go to games, root for the Bears and add to our home field advantage. Hell, I'd even take ex-Stanford fans who wanted to escape from that Taco Bell hellhole and embrace the light. Come one, come all.
A few people I know went in the opposite direction: used to root for Cal and then became furd fans around 2011-12. Two of them are Cal alums.

But in general I'm pretty sure we attract non-affliated fans in our local area more than furd does, even if not as much as kansas does.
MSaviolives
510 Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

A few people I know went in the opposite direction: used to root for Cal and then became furd fans around 2011-12. Two of them are Cal alums.

But in general I'm pretty sure we attract non-affliated fans in our local area more than furd does, even if not as much as kansas does.
Wow. I could see a free agent/bandwagon type of fan switching loyalty, but Cal alums becoming furd fans??? The words loathsome and despicable come to mind.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.