Ryan O'

4,409 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cave Bear
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did I miss a thread or did anyone watch the recent Netflix drama around Aaron Hernandez? Proud Bear and Cal moments as Ryan walked thru his journey. So important.
AXLBear
I was thinking the same thing. If you haven't watched it yet, he's prominently featured. Glad he's a golden bear.
egbear82
And did he say when he was here he made himself balloon up to something like 350 pounds? He looks great now and I'm glad he worked things out.. Great Cal Bear!
heartofthebear
cal83dls79 said:

Did I miss a thread or did anyone watch the recent Netflix drama around Aaron Hernandez? Proud Bear and Cal moments as Ryan walked thru his journey. So important.

Is that worth watching even for a non-sports fan like my partner?
Cave Bear
heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

It's a little slow in my opinion, but I recommend it to anyone who's ever been interested in *** was wrong with Aaron Hernandez. It turns out, a lot.
heartofthebear
Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

It's a little slow in my opinion, but I recommend it to anyone who's ever been interested in *** was wrong with Aaron Hernandez. It turns out, a lot.
I did see a Frontline doc. on CET or whatever it is. And I think Aaron Hernandez was part of it. It was very good. Anyway, I know that Hernandez had that disease.
Cave Bear
heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

I did see a Frontline doc. on CET or whatever it is. And I think Aaron Hernandez was part of it. It was very good. Anyway, I know that Hernandez had that disease.
Yeah the extent of the CTE was dramatic to me, since Hernandez was only 23 when his football career abruptly ended. It's impossible to say how influential the effects of CTE were on Hernandez' personality, but it's clear that it was not the only thing wrong there. SPOILER ALERT

Hernandez' parents were terribly unstable. They divorced when Hernandez was an infant and then remarried when he was 6. Both were arrested during his childhood. His father, an intense machismo adherent, beat him (both as corporal punishment and just for the hell of it) and his mother (who also beat him), and was domineering, alcoholic and intensely homophobic, the last of which must have been particularly unpleasant for Hernandez who was closeted bisexual. Hernandez was also allegedly subjected to years of sexual assault by another boy beginning at age 6. Then his father dies suddenly leaving 16 year old Hernandez without the dictatorial executive who had controlled his life. His mother then begins a long-term relationship with his cousin's husband, which deeply estranges the two and helps push Hernandez into alcohol and pot before he heads to Florida and the fatherly guidance of Urban Meyer at which point he immediately starts to become seriously and unreasonably violent.

Many people recoil from examination of these sordid aspects of Hernandez' childhood and personal development. The idea of mitigation seems to strike those people as excusing and sympathizing with a vicious killer over his victims. It's absurd to me to believe that being physically, sexually and psychologically abused practically his entire life combined with traumatic brain damage didn't have a severe determining effect on Hernandez' personality or his psychopathic violence. It shouldn't be controversial to say that a person who is subjected to these conditions will consequently be more likely to become psychopathic and that moral culpability can't be applied normally to such a person, but allowing that no-brainer runs counter to the religion of Personal Responsibility wherein conditions are irrelevant and outcomes are self-justifying.
LateHit
A question from the 1960s here: is Netflix a channel on cable or do you have to subscribe to it or is it on the internet?
KenBurnski
It's an online platform that most people stream movies and shows through - tho they also still offer plans that allow people to receive physical dvds by mail.
tigertim
Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Many people recoil from examination of these sordid aspects of Hernandez' childhood and personal development. The idea of mitigation seems to strike those people as excusing and sympathizing with a viscous killer over his victims. It's absurd to me not to believe that being physically, sexually and psychologically abused practically his entire life combined with traumatic brain damage didn't have a severe determining effect on Hernandez' personality or his psychopathic violence. It shouldn't be controversial to say that a person who is subjected to these conditions will consequently be more likely to become psychopathic and that moral culpability can't be applied normally to such a person, but allowing that no-brainer runs counter to the religion of Personal Responsibility wherein conditions are irrelevant and outcomes are self-justifying.

Who is saying this?

I've been to many criminal sentencings, spoken to many judges (state, federal), appointed by Republicans and Democrats alike, and all of them would tell you that determining the appropriate prison sentence is the most difficult part of their job. Precisely because the defendant frequently faced difficult childhood circumstances.

The problem is that despite those difficult circumstances:
  • a) many/most people similarly situated do not kill people, suggesting that someone like Hernandez still retains individual agency;
  • (b) if the defendant (like Hernandez, before he killed himself) remains a threat to public safety...at some level it doesn't matter why he killed, need to keep him behind bars to protect the rest of us.

I don't disagree with you that Hernandez's situation is challenging, but like, it's hardly novel. Those of us who participate in the criminal justice system grapple with these issues literally on a day-to-day basis.
okaydo
LateHit said:

A question from the 1960s here: is Netflix a channel on cable or do you have to subscribe to it or is it on the internet?

Netflix is essentially a channel with gobs of money to spend. The story below is from 3 days ago.

They make a bazillion movies and TV shows. They try to overwhelm you with content so that you won't cancel. They make TV shows in Germany, in the Philippines, in Brazil. They are worldwide. They also spend a ton of money on big names: Chris Rock, Seinfeld, Chappelle, Obamas, Shonda, Letterman, Dan and Dave.

Even Oprah (though Oprah has deals with numerous outlets, including Discovery and Apple).

The overwhelming majority of their movies suck, but they are willing to give big-name directors like Martin Scorsese and that other dude all the money they want to make their films.

Which is why Netflix is No. 1 in Oscar nominations this year.

Netflix was No. 1 in Emmy nominations in 2018.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-2020-content-spending-17-billion-1203469237/

Cave Bear
tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Many people recoil from examination of these sordid aspects of Hernandez' childhood and personal development. The idea of mitigation seems to strike those people as excusing and sympathizing with a viscous killer over his victims. It's absurd to me not to believe that being physically, sexually and psychologically abused practically his entire life combined with traumatic brain damage didn't have a severe determining effect on Hernandez' personality or his psychopathic violence. It shouldn't be controversial to say that a person who is subjected to these conditions will consequently be more likely to become psychopathic and that moral culpability can't be applied normally to such a person, but allowing that no-brainer runs counter to the religion of Personal Responsibility wherein conditions are irrelevant and outcomes are self-justifying.

Who is saying this?
If you have never encountered people who express contempt for the defense of accused offenders that they were abused in their formative years then I envy you. I have repeatedly encountered these sentiments in real life, online and on the radio.

However, one convenient example of those who refuse to sympathize with Hernandez' situation at all is found on the Hernandez documentary itself in the form of Stephen A. Smith, who declares he has "no sympathy" for Hernandez, which says either he does not believe that abuse and damage can have determining effects on a person's subsequent behavior or he doesn't care, both of which in my view are barbaric failures of empathy.
Quote:

• a) many/most people similarly situated do not kill people, suggesting that someone like Hernandez still retains individual agency

I think your pattern of "similarly situated" and most conceptions of individual agency are highly problematic.

For the idea that most people "similarly situated" are not homicidal, I'd like to see the collection of profiles from which such a determination can be made to ensure that not only are the categories of "physical, sexual and psychological abuse" along with brain damage all present in the same or worse extent as with Hernandez but also that the particular culture of violence and dominance under which Hernandez developed is there. Then I would like those examples to be subjected to genetic analysis (of a level of sophistication that does not exist) before I would accept the claim that Hernandez and those others were truly similarly situated in material conditions.

For the idea that a person subjected to such conditioning retains "individual agency", I think this statement takes a particular conception of agency for granted -- one wherein there is some essential property in humans that is separate from determinative material conditions (and therefore immaterial, ie. supernatural), instead of recognizing that the determinative conditions themselves must be different. Aside from other cultural considerations, other victims who have suffered functionally identical abuse of all the kinds Hernandez suffered with exposure to the same kind of violent culture and brain damage to the same extent but did not become homicidal may (in my view, must) have had other material (genetic or environmental) factors that result in them being less prone to homicidal behavior. I categorically reject any claim to influence on the behavior of human beings that is not material (natural, as opposed to some supernatural element like the soul). Of course I know that mechanical determinism in human behavior is not popular (particularly with those who are proud of themselves and their own actions) and this is a large factor in the appeal to agency to explain differential in behavior.

Quote:

(b) if the defendant (like Hernandez, before he killed himself) remains a threat to public safety...at some level it doesn't matter why he killed, need to keep him behind bars to protect the rest of us.
I agree, but only with the stipulation that this is a pragmatic sanction necessary for society to function in our present state of knowledge and capacities and does not excuse society from recognizing that behavior is governed (whether partly, mostly or completely) by material cause and that a just society will devote itself to ensuring that material conditions are therefore as equal as possible so that if agency is real then those whose conditions would otherwise give their own agency no fair shot at expression can have their opportunity of being good preserved.

Quote:

I don't disagree with you that Hernandez's situation is challenging, but like, it's hardly novel. Those of us who participate in the criminal justice system grapple with these issues literally on a day-to-day basis.
I think Hernandez' story is meaningful exactly because his situation is not unique, but instead speaks to the larger reality of human beings as products of circumstance -- both those that do exceptionally well and those that do exceptionally badly, and everyone in between.
cal83dls79
Cave Bear said:

tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Who is saying this?
If you have never encountered people who express contempt for the defense of accused offenders that they were abused in their formative years then I envy you. I have repeatedly encountered these sentiments in real life, online and on the radio.

However, one convenient example of those who refuse to sympathize with Hernandez' situation at all is found on the Hernandez documentary itself in the form of Stephen A. Smith, who declares he has "no sympathy" for Hernandez, which says either he does not believe that abuse and damage can have determining effects on a person's subsequent behavior or he doesn't care, both of which in my view are barbaric failures of empathy.
Quote:

• a) many/most people similarly situated do not kill people, suggesting that someone like Hernandez still retains individual agency

I think your pattern of "similarly situated" and most conceptions of individual agency are highly problematic.

For the idea that most people "similarly situated" are not homicidal, I'd like to see the collection of profiles from which such a determination can be made to ensure that not only are the categories of "physical, sexual and psychological abuse" along with brain damage all present in the same or worse extent as with Hernandez but also that the particular culture of violence and dominance under which Hernandez developed is there. Then I would like those examples to be subjected to genetic analysis (of a level of sophistication that does not exist) before I would accept the claim that Hernandez and those others were truly similarly situated in material conditions.

For the idea that a person subjected to such conditioning retains "individual agency", I think this statement takes a particular conception of agency for granted -- one wherein there is some essential property in humans that is separate from determinative material conditions (and therefore immaterial, ie. supernatural), instead of recognizing that the determinative conditions themselves must be different. Aside from other cultural considerations, other victims who have suffered functionally identical abuse of all the kinds Hernandez suffered with exposure to the same kind of violent culture and brain damage to the same extent but did not become homicidal may (in my view, must) have had other material (genetic or environmental) factors that result in them being less prone to homicidal behavior. I categorically reject any claim to influence on the behavior of human beings that is not material (natural, as opposed to some supernatural element like the soul). Of course I know that mechanical determinism in human behavior is not popular (particularly with those who are proud of themselves and their own actions) and this is a large factor in the appeal to agency to explain differential in behavior.

Quote:

(b) if the defendant (like Hernandez, before he killed himself) remains a threat to public safety...at some level it doesn't matter why he killed, need to keep him behind bars to protect the rest of us.
I agree, but only with the stipulation that this is a pragmatic sanction necessary for society to function in our present state of knowledge and capacities and does not excuse society from recognizing that behavior is governed (whether partly, mostly or completely) by material cause and that a just society will devote itself to ensuring that material conditions are therefore as equal as possible so that if agency is real then those whose conditions would otherwise give their own agency no fair shot at expression can have their opportunity of being good preserved.

Quote:

I think Hernandez' story is meaningful exactly because his situation is not unique, but instead speaks to the larger reality of human beings as products of circumstance -- both those that do exceptionally well and those that do exceptionally badly, and everyone in between.

I agree. The series itself makes no conclusions nor does it offer excuses for Hernandez. My guess is being gay in the NFL( or even at Cal football) is still no panacea but glad guys like Ryan at least can deliver a message that may resonate with kids.
JSC 76
LateHit said:

Think of it as a TV network that you watch through a web browser. And new TV's have a web browser built in, so it's basically just an extension to your network lineup. You pay a monthly subscription fee.
PtownBear1
heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Yes if they're into true crime. My wife had no clue who Hernandez was and enjoyed it.

That said, the podcast I listened to last year dug more deeply into his past and I found it more interesting than the Netflix series.
cal83dls79
PtownBear1 said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Yes if they're into true crime. My wife had no clue who Hernandez was and enjoyed it.

That said, the podcast I listened to last year dug more deeply into his past and I found it more interesting than the Netflix series.
Gladiator, Boston Globe. I agree, well done. Although the Flix series shed more light on his mother and that relationship.
heartofthebear
PtownBear1 said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Thanks. I didn't know it was a series. What's the name. What should I search for, Aaron Hernandez?
okaydo
heartofthebear said:

PtownBear1 said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Thanks. I didn't know it was a series. What's the name. What should I search for, Aaron Hernandez?

LateHit
A somewhat related topic is that a gay offensive lineman from Kansas State - of all places - is probably going to get drafted. He has been public for a couple of years so I guess everyone in Manhattan is fine/tolerant/indifferent about it. Whether he turns out to be All-Pro or just marginal, a relatively anonymous lineman in the league will be a good test case to see if the team and public accept it or if the planet implodes.
cal83dls79
LateHit said:

A somewhat related topic is that a gay offensive lineman from Kansas State - of all places - is probably going to get drafted. He has been public for a couple of years so I guess everyone in Manhattan is fine/tolerant/indifferent about it. Whether he turns out to be All-Pro or just marginal, a relatively anonymous lineman in the league will be a good test case to see if the team and public accept it or if the planet implodes.
thanks for the heads up. I would think cal should be on the forefront of this
okaydo
cal83dls79 said:

LateHit said:

I'm not so sure.

Here's what I wrote in this thread when Ryan came out: (It was noted later in that thread that Ryan Riddle publicly supported him and Aaron Rodgers liked a tweet about him coming out.)

A few months later, Rodgers said this about O'Callaghan to Mina Kimes in an ESPN cover story:

But anyways, here's how many times @Calfootball has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Calathletics has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UCBerkeley has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UCBerkeleyNews (UC Berkeley's press release site) has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Cal (the alumni Twitter) has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UofCalifornia has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Pac12Network has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Hei Bei
LateHit said:

Good luck to him. I hope he's so good he can't be cut.
TheSouseFamily
Thanks to you all for explaining this whole Netflix thing. I'd heard the name before but didn't know what it was about. I also keep hearing about some new thing called Amazon. It's where you buy books or something; right?
okaydo
TheSouseFamily said:

Thanks to you all for explaining this whole Netflix thing. I'd heard the name before but didn't know what it was about. I also keep hearing about some new thing called Amazon. It's where you buy books or something; right?

Tomorrow I'll explain Apple TV+, Disney+, BET+, HBO Max, Peacock, DC Universe, FX on Hulu, Seeso and Quibi.
LMK5
TheSouseFamily said:

Correct. It's on the Information Super Highway invented by Al Gore. Just open Netscape and type in "www.amazon.com" and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
cal83dls79
okaydo said:

cal83dls79 said:

LateHit said:

I'm not so sure.

Here's what I wrote in this thread when Ryan came out: (It was noted later in that thread that Ryan Riddle publicly supported him and Aaron Rodgers liked a tweet about him coming out.)

A few months later, Rodgers said this about O'Callaghan to Mina Kimes in an ESPN cover story:

But anyways, here's how many times @Calfootball has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Calathletics has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UCBerkeley has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UCBerkeleyNews (UC Berkeley's press release site) has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Cal (the alumni Twitter) has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @UofCalifornia has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

Here's how many times @Pac12Network has tweeted about O'Callaghan:

that's f'n embarrassing.
cal83dls79
TheSouseFamily said:

the guy asked a fair question. Remember we just went to to the Redbox bowl for god sakes. Yeah, those machines outside of 7-11 where you can rent DVDs.
Tons outside of the Bay Area bubble. I found the question unassuming.
TheSouseFamily
cal83dls79 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

the guy asked a fair question. Remember we just went to to the Redbox bowl for god sakes. Yeah, those machines outside of 7-11 where you can rent DVDs.

I found the question unassuming and fair as well. Just having a little fun. Plus, I live in the Carolinas. I'm just glad to have electricity.
cal83dls79
TheSouseFamily said:

cal83dls79 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I found the question unassuming and fair as well. Just having a little fun. Plus, I live in the Carolinas. I'm just glad to have electricity.
good to know. In the same time zone in Maine where electricity is absurdly expensive.
BearSD
tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Who is saying this?

I've been to many criminal sentencings, spoken to many judges (state, federal), appointed by Republicans and Democrats alike, and all of them would tell you that determining the appropriate prison sentence is the most difficult part of their job. Precisely because the defendant frequently faced difficult childhood circumstances.

• a) many/most people similarly situated do not kill people, suggesting that someone like Hernandez still retains individual agency;
  • (b) if the defendant (like Hernandez, before he killed himself) remains a threat to public safety...at some level it doesn't matter why he killed, need to keep him behind bars to protect the rest of us.

Should be 99 percent (b), IMO. The system ought to be first focused on protecting all of us.
cal83dls79
Pretty sure it is.
Cave Bear
BearSD said:

tigertim said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Cave Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

cal83dls79 said:

Who is saying this?

Should be 99 percent (b), IMO. The system ought to be first focused on protecting all of us.
I agree, and here an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure. Every child in America should be covered under Medicare until age 21 and any teenager who feels under mental distress should be encouraged to seek the services of a professional mental health care provider, with or without the permission/participation of their parents, even without their knowledge if necessary. This should be the minimum demanded by pretensions to equality of opportunity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.