Early Entry for NFL Draft Deadline is in 2 Days

2,665 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 71Bear
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is the list of Cal players that have declared thusfar:

No one

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

I could see Bynum or Hicks realistically leaving early, with Deng being a potential candidate for a surprise departure.
calbear80
All three of good players, but, IMHO, they are not ready for NFL yet.

Go Bears!
Big C
Goode was starting to play so "good" the past few games, I've been worrying. Similar concerns with the potential "sixth year" guys.

While I hope all our players end up achieving their football dreams, let's hope that list stays Cal-free.
PtownBear1
It seemed to me like Goode needed time to adjust to his new bulk and finally started feeling it the last few games. With our nationally acclaimed LB coaches, I expect both Goode and Deng will be defensive headliners next season, and after the season, I expect both will be drafted within the first 2 days of the April 2021 draft, assuming they return.
59bear
PtownBear1 said:

It seemed to me like Goode needed time to adjust to his new bulk and finally started feeling it the last few games. With our nationally acclaimed LB coaches, I expect both Goode and Deng will be defensive headliners next season, and after the season, I expect both will be drafted within the first 2 days of the April 2021 draft, assuming they return.
He was also coming off a serious knee injury, which often takes a period of adjustment longer than the physical recovery period.
71Bear
golden sloth said:

Here is the list of Cal players that have declared thusfar:

No one

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

I could see Bynum or Hicks realistically leaving early, with Deng being a potential candidate for a surprise departure.
The official list was published today by the NFL. No Cal players opted to leave early.
oski003
Go Bears!
Sebastabear
If you want evidence of how the players view Wilcox and the trajectory of the program look no further than this. How long has it been since we had players who could even sniff the NFL elect to come back? In the not too distant past we seemed to lose all of them. This year none. Terrific stuff.

60 years without a conference championship is long enough. Seems like some of our most experienced and talented players feel the same.
TheSouseFamily
Sebastabear said:

If you want evidence of how the players view Wilcox and the trajectory of the program look no further than this. How long has it been since we had players who could even sniff the NFL elect to come back? In the not too distant past we seemed to lose all of them. This year none. Terrific stuff.

60 years without a conference championship is long enough. Seems like some of our most experienced and talented players feel the same.
Well said, Sebasta. This is one of many clues into the type of culture Wilcox has built and the type of connections he and his staff form with players. The lack of attrition in recruiting between guys committing and guys signing is another example of the relationships he's developed. So too, the below average number of transfers out of the program. We're certainly lucky to have someone like that running the show for us and hope he's around for a long time. Having lived up close through the end of the Campanelli era, the player revolt and the Bozeman coup, the relationships between the coach and the team can't be under-stated.
GivemTheAxe
TheSouseFamily said:

Sebastabear said:

Well said, Sebasta. This is one of many clues into the type of culture Wilcox has built and the type of connections he and his staff form with players. The lack of attrition in recruiting between guys committing and guys signing is another example of the relationships he's developed. So too, the below average number of transfers out of the program. We're certainly lucky to have someone like that running the show for us and hope he's around for a long time. Having lived up close through the end of the Campanelli era, the player revolt and the Bozeman coup, the relationships between the coach and the team can't be under-stated.

To extrapolate. Using the same criteria, what do the numerous departures from LSJU say about player sentiment at that school.
89Bear
Big C said:

Goode was starting to play so "good" the past few games, I've been worrying. Similar concerns with the potential "sixth year" guys.

While I hope all our players end up achieving their football dreams, let's hope that list stays Cal-free.
I was worried about Goode as well. He was a monster late in the season!! I'm excited about seeing his senior season. Follet-like?

wifeisafurd
Good news apparently can't wait - Addison Ooms new Cal coach.
91Cal
GivemTheAxe said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Sebastabear said:

To extrapolate. Using the same criteria, what do the numerous departures from LSJU say about player sentiment at that school.
Well said, Sebastabear!

Over the weekend, speaking with fellow Cal alums and a couple of '$C alums who all graduated mid-80s to early 90s, the topic was how Cal seems to have the first coach in our lifetimes who understand and have the ability to recruit the type of player who have both ability and are a fit for Cal.

We talked about how it remains to be seen whether he can coach them to the next level, but the general sentiment was very positive...there was even a hint of jealousy on the part of the '$C folk!
Sebastabear
wifeisafurd said:

Good news apparently can't wait - Addison Ooms new Cal coach.
Tough to keep a secret when the subject announces it . I was actually impressed it stayed buried as long as it did. Good news travels fast.
run2win
Sebastabear said:

60 years without a conference championship is long enough.
I understand the sentiment about winning a conference championship outright but Cal was conference co-champion in 1975 and 2006. Yes, winning it all is the goal and preferred but co-champions should still be celebrated, IMHO.
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
Sebastabear
run2win said:

Sebastabear said:

60 years without a conference championship is long enough.
I understand the sentiment about winning a conference championship outright but Cal was conference co-champion in 1975 and 2006. Yes, winning it all is the goal and preferred but co-champions should still be celebrated, IMHO.
Good to remember and I'll take whatever we can get, but in my mind winning only counts if everyone else loses . . . and we get to play in the Rose Bowl (or whatever the equivalent happens to be that year). Losing the tie breaker to our co-champion hurts.
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Sebastabear said:

I think the LSJU transfer situation has been significantly overblown. Currently, (according to an exhaustive review at The Cardboard) they have 92 guys on scholarship, including the incoming class. With nine guys in the portal, they expect to lose them all and bring in a couple guys on Feb 5 giving them 85 guys on scholie. Of the guys in the portal, all are fifth year players and only two are considered guys they would like to keep (which would necessitate a shuffle of the remaining players on scholie (medical retirement? etc).

In other words, it is usual dance of moving guys out to make room for new players. The only difference is the creation of the portal - a nice way of saying, "Hey, fifth year guy, time to move on since you have your degree and are no longer contributing".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.