The early renewals seem to have backfired as evidenced by this email

14,195 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LMK5
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cal Fans,

To give our fans a few more days to lock in your 2020 Cal Football Season Ticket Membership, we have extended the renewal deadline to Friday, January 31st.

"We are excited about the 2020 football season and are working hard to improve upon our growth from last season." - Coach Justin Wilcox.

For additional information or questions, please reach out to [url=tel800)%20GO-BEARS](800) GO-BEARS[/url] andpress 3.
Go Bears!
LunchTime
While Wilcox is growing attendance, it doesnt make sense to me to try to move up the dates like they have. Attendance is still low enough that you wont run out of great seats, and going into 2020 is not looking like going into 2004.

Clearly they are trying to drive FOMO, but there is 0% chance you wont be able to get seats in the section you want in 4 months, so the MO part is missing. No MO, no FO.

If I were them, I would drive a bigger incentive to sign up early; large discounts, giveaways for each ticket, food vouchers, etc. I would also announce a loyalty program where you get X% off if you show up to all 7 games in 2020 (Y% off if your tickets are used for all 7 games) with a bump in "donation level" for Rose Bowl etc if you actually use your tickets.
wifeisafurd
While I think wining does build attendance I do think interest in Pac 12 football is way down, and winning isn't the only issue to filling the stadium.
oskidunker
Winning was never the reason I renewed for 50 years. It was the experience. Day games, band playing and camaraderie.

This year everyone knows there will be a-lot of night games since Friday mandated . People like me are getting older and re evaluating the money being spent for the experience provided, especially retirees on limited income.
Go Bears!
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

While I think wining does build attendance I do think interest in Pac 12 football is way down, and winning isn't the only issue to filling the stadium.
I agree. Other significant issues include game times and sufficient advance knowledge of when the games will be played.
oskidunker
LunchTime said:

While Wilcox is growing attendance, it doesnt make sense to me to try to move up the dates like they have. Attendance is still low enough that you wont run out of great seats, and going into 2020 is not looking like going into 2004.

Clearly they are trying to drive FOMO, but there is 0% chance you wont be able to get seats in the section you want in 4 months, so the MO part is missing. No MO, no FO.

If I were them, I would drive a bigger incentive to sign up early; large discounts, giveaways for each ticket, food vouchers, etc. I would also announce a loyalty program where you get X% off if you show up to all 7 games in 2020 (Y% off if your tickets are used for all 7 games) with a bump in "donation level" for Rose Bowl etc if you actually use your tickets.
Man this is a great post.This is the kind of thing I like with perceived value being shown even if it isnt a major thing in give ups by Cal. They need to think outside thbox but wont since all they look at is the perceived bottom line, which may be less than they think.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
Where were all you snowflakes when the tee shirt cannon brought in the crowds?

I, for one, can't wait 'till the next four minute media time out, after 10:00pm, to get that rah rah feeling!
wifeisafurd
oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Man this is a great post.This is the kind of thing I like with perceived value being shown even if it isnt a major thing in give ups by Cal. They need to think outside thbox but wont since all they look at is the perceived bottom line, which may be less than they think.
Good ideas. But what they do is move the needle on those who want to buy seats already, which is good to that extent. If I was King, I also would provide incentives to younger fans.

If you want to change the number of potential buyers, look at game day experience (which IMO has improved) and the things '71 mentioned. Falling attendance is just not a Cal issue btw, but a conference wide issue. The conference also for long run purposes needs more competitive teams, so that the regions' best talent stays here, and can be seen live on Saturdays.
Cave Bear
oskidunker said:

Winning was never the reason I renewed for 50 years. It was the experience. Day games, band playing and camaraderie.

This year everyone knows there will be a-lot of night games since Friday mandated . People like me are getting older and re evaluating the money being spent for the experience provided, especially retirees on limited income.
How do we know there will be "a lot" of night home games? There's the same number of Friday games as last season: one, and even that one is not sure to be a night game since it will be the day after Thanksgiving.

Last season there were two night games at Memorial. I doubt there will be more than that this season.
LMK5
Most of you here are knowledgeable veterans and I enjoy taking in your perspective. As the parent of a freshman CalBand member from OC, I went to 4 Cal football games this year: OSU; WSU; at UCLA; and the Redbox Bowl. I enjoyed them all. I've also been to a number of UCLA games at the Rose Bowl, and the crowd demographic and attendance issues there are very similar to those at Cal. So are the game day experience issues.

I'll admit that I'm worried. I'm worried about the, shall we say, mature demographic at these games, for one (that includes me). What does this portend for the future? Where are the legions of students and young alumni that should be at these games? My goodness, at Cal you get a 50 yard line seat! The percentage of students combined with local alumni that attends these games is horrifyingly low.

I'm also worried that the biggest reaction from the crowd is when they have that shuffle game on the videoboard where you have to guess under which object the football is after they scramble them. Really folks? Is that what the smartphone has done to us? Is the game just a distraction? When I was at the Redbox Bowl, 4 guys in their 20s were seated right in front of me in $150 seats and for the whole game they were playing on their phones. The game was just something that happened to be occurring in the background. I wish they were the exception but they weren't. Finally some middle-aged lady got up and whipped the section into a Go Bears! chant. It's the youth in the building that should be leading the charge, not a middle-aged middle manager. The lack of passion, I believe, makes people think twice about coming to the next game as much as the cost of beer.

Sure there are things Cal Athletics must do to ensure the stadium is filled. Their ticket prices are way too high; parking's a ***** and costs you $40. The City of Berkeley seems determined to make it as hard on the fans as they possibly can with their traffic and parking measures. Sure Cal Athletics has work to do, but I am concerned about these things that are not under their control.
GivemTheAxe
LunchTime said:

You get my vote to become head of marketing for Cal FB.
I was surprised that even some modest discount was not provided on tickets or parking if season tickets were renewed early.
Even $10.00 per ticket would have motivated me to renew early. They didn't do I didn't renew until the last day.
PRD74
Over the past few years I have gotten an annual free extra parking pass, a nice upgraded parking lot location, and a multiple (up to five) month payment plan for enrolling early.
Going to Cal football games is supposed to be fun, but if you find them to be a hassle (time wise, cost, in game annoyances, weather, whatever), then staying home is understandable. I am getting too old to complain, I guess. Just happy to be healthy enough to handle sitting outside in the late Fall in Berkeley.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
Go Bears!
FLC
Winning will fill the stadium. Happened under early Tedford. Winning cures all attendance problems. There are plenty of Bay Area football fans ready to jump on the next bandwagon. Go Bears.
ThesePretzels
LMK5 said:

I'm also worried that the biggest reaction from the crowd is when they have that shuffle game on the videoboard where you have to guess under which object the football is after they scramble them. Really folks? Is that what the smartphone has done to us? Is the game just a distraction?
Have you been to a NBA game recently? Those are music and light shows. Basketball is absolutely secondary to the blasting music that plays all game.

And you know what -- the NBA seems to be doing great w/ attendance! So I definitely agree there is a generational problem with regards to live sports viewership, and it particularly hampers football which is played outdoors. (worse acoustics)

What is the answer? I have no idea...
auberge
The Pac-12 TV contract is at the base of the attendance decline. Night games are routine and start times don't get announced until one or two weeks before the game. That plus an aging fan base is what has led to more Cal fans, including me, watching from home. I dropped my season tickets after 27 years because of the night games and the fact that I'm now a senior citizen as well as an old Old Blue, and travel home after 11:00 p;.m. is not attractive. BART isn't safe or attractive at night any more and I don't like driving the freeways at that hour. Bay Area fans will back a winner as evidenced by the 49ers this season as well as the Giants' decline in attendance. The same may be true of Cal football, but I think that the band, camaraderie and general college football atmosphere have been unduly sacrificed and that makes going to the game and paying for it less attractive. That said, I'll be in CMS for at least one game and hopefully more this season but will not renew my season tickets.
oskidunker
Same here. Will pick games after times announced.
Go Bears!
GivemTheAxe
PRD74 said:

Over the past few years I have gotten an annual free extra parking pass, a nice upgraded parking lot location, and a multiple (up to five) month payment plan for enrolling early.
Going to Cal football games is supposed to be fun, but if you find them to be a hassle (time wise, cost, in game annoyances, weather, whatever), then staying home is understandable. I am getting too old to complain, I guess. Just happy to be healthy enough to handle sitting outside in the late Fall in Berkeley.
Go Bears!

For me that would have been a GREAT incentive
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Good ideas. But what they do is move the needle on those who want to buy seats already, which is good to that extent. If I was King, I also would provide incentives to younger fans.

If you want to change the number of potential buyers, look at game day experience (which IMO has improved) and the things '71 mentioned. Falling attendance is just not a Cal issue btw, but a conference wide issue. The conference also for long run purposes needs more competitive teams, so that the regions' best talent stays here, and can be seen live on Saturdays.
Just for the record, attendance is an issue in every conference, including the SEC. Of course, the reasons vary from conference to conference.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

KenBurnski
MugsVanSant
I read a comment from a pissed off Raider fan in the SF Comical that said he was going to buy Cal tickets because, even though Cal will never be good, at least Cal will not move. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple thousand Raider fans thinking the same way. If so we'll need more police.
heartofthebear
I wonder how much of these issues are not micro but macro for the state of California. When I grew up a mile away from the stadium, the bay area was different. It was more relaxed, it was middle class affordable and the future was bright. California was a target state for families wanting a good education for their kids and affordable University education. These are all qualities that make it easier to follow, afford and enjoy sports.

Fast forward to these days. The standard of living, no matter how great, pales in comparison to the cost of living. Folks, working or retired with a full pension, cannot afford to live here. The middle class, or what is left of it in the country is moving out of California. What used to be a fun day at the beach or the park has become a day sitting in traffic. Blue skies aren't really blue any more. They're kind of milky. If there aren't fires, there are power outages, floods etc. Housing has become a crisis as is the homeless issue. Most households are working two or three jobs. Yeah, we have more technology, but our tech companies are driving up the cost of living by paying high wages that stimulate inflating rents. The quality and affordability of education has plummeted. These are all qualities that make it harder to follow, afford and enjoy sports.

If you look at all of the major pac-12 schools in California, they are all in decline both in attendance and ability to recruit California. Maybe kids are smart to go to places where the cost of living is more reasonable.

This may sound like I am complaining but actually these issues are well documented in our local media. I'm not making them up. It's just very stressful trying to survive in California and, while I do think Cal football is beginning a renaissance, it is a bit too little too late for me.
Big C
LMK5 said:

Most of you here are knowledgeable veterans and I enjoy taking in your perspective. As the parent of a freshman CalBand member from OC, I went to 4 Cal football games this year: OSU; WSU; at UCLA; and the Redbox Bowl. I enjoyed them all. I've also been to a number of UCLA games at the Rose Bowl, and the crowd demographic and attendance issues there are very similar to those at Cal. So are the game day experience issues.

I'll admit that I'm worried. I'm worried about the, shall we say, mature demographic at these games, for one (that includes me). What does this portend for the future? Where are the legions of students and young alumni that should be at these games? My goodness, at Cal you get a 50 yard line seat! The percentage of students combined with local alumni that attends these games is horrifyingly low.

I'm also worried that the biggest reaction from the crowd is when they have that shuffle game on the videoboard where you have to guess under which object the football is after they scramble them. Really folks? Is that what the smartphone has done to us? Is the game just a distraction? When I was at the Redbox Bowl, 4 guys in their 20s were seated right in front of me in $150 seats and for the whole game they were playing on their phones. The game was just something that happened to be occurring in the background. I wish they were the exception but they weren't. Finally some middle-aged lady got up and whipped the section into a Go Bears! chant. It's the youth in the building that should be leading the charge, not a middle-aged middle manager. The lack of passion, I believe, makes people think twice about coming to the next game as much as the cost of beer.

Sure there are things Cal Athletics must do to ensure the stadium is filled. Their ticket prices are way too high; parking's a ***** and costs you $40. The City of Berkeley seems determined to make it as hard on the fans as they possibly can with their traffic and parking measures. Sure Cal Athletics has work to do, but I am concerned about these things that are not under their control.
Great post. I'm thinking that the demographic skews older when the team has been losing: Only the "old loyals" keep coming. As we begin to notch some consecutive winning seasons, the more recent alums will jump on the bandwagon, even if they're on their phones most of the time. If the games become exciting enough, maybe they even look up!
oskidunker
Good luck using your phone when there are more than 25 k in the stadium. Verizon rarely works
Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

LunchTime said:

Just for the record, attendance is an issue in every conference, including the SEC. Of course, the reasons vary from conference to conference.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

Agreed, though I think every Pac team would like to have Florida's problems for example.
santacruzbear
I consider my two season tickets a donation to the athletic department. I no longer drive up from Santa Cruz for night games and give those tickets away to friends and relatives.
GivemTheAxe
heartofthebear said:

I wonder how much of these issues are not micro but macro for the state of California. When I grew up a mile away from the stadium, the bay area was different. It was more relaxed, it was middle class affordable and the future was bright. California was a target state for families wanting a good education for their kids and affordable University education. These are all qualities that make it easier to follow, afford and enjoy sports.

Fast forward to these days. The standard of living, no matter how great, pales in comparison to the cost of living. Folks, working or retired with a full pension, cannot afford to live here. The middle class, or what is left of it in the country is moving out of California. What used to be a fun day at the beach or the park has become a day sitting in traffic. Blue skies aren't really blue any more. They're kind of milky. If there aren't fires, there are power outages, floods etc. Housing has become a crisis as is the homeless issue. Most households are working two or three jobs. Yeah, we have more technology, but our tech companies are driving up the cost of living by paying high wages that stimulate inflating rents. The quality and affordability of education has plummeted. These are all qualities that make it harder to follow, afford and enjoy sports.

If you look at all of the major pac-12 schools in California, they are all in decline both in attendance and ability to recruit California. Maybe kids are smart to go to places where the cost of living is more reasonable.

This may sound like I am complaining but actually these issues are well documented in our local media. I'm not making them up. It's just very stressful trying to survive in California and, while I do think Cal football is beginning a renaissance, it is a bit too little too late for me.

The California schools are not the only ones having a marked drop in attendance. UW could not fill its stadium for a number of games over the past few years. They blame this phenomenon on Many of the same factors that Cal has faced: no consistent early afternoon game times, weekday games, little advance notice of game times.
C6Bear
Cave Bear said:

oskidunker said:

How do we know there will be "a lot" of night home games? There's the same number of Friday games as last season: one, and even that one is not sure to be a night game since it will be the day after Thanksgiving.

Last season there were two night games at Memorial. I doubt there will be more than that this season.
So, 3 out of 6 home games (50%) become potential problems for people to attend. That's not significant? Add to that usually not knowing until a week or two before the game what the actual game time will be, and you then drive attendance down further since you're losing all the people who need more time than the TV network window to plan to attend. With 7 home games this year, you can guarantee at least 2-3 night games and a wild card the day after Thanksgiving, a Friday that can present other issues. Hopefully, since school will technically be out of session that day, they will let folks reasonably use their parking passes for the campus garages and not restrict arrival times. I gave my tickets away for the Friday game last year since I didn't want to battle Friday night Bay Area traffic and didn't want to be restricted in my arrival time to 2 hours before the game. I don't live a just few minutes from Berkeley and I certainly don't need the added headaches.
oskidunker
I would guess the tcu game will be at night but who knows...
Go Bears!
Cave Bear
C6Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

oskidunker said:

So, 3 out of 6 home games (50%) become potential problems for people to attend. That's not significant? Add to that usually not knowing until a week or two before the game what the actual game time will be, and you then drive attendance down further since you're losing all the people who need more time than the TV network window to plan to attend. With 7 home games this year, you can guarantee at least 2-3 night games and a wild card the day after Thanksgiving, a Friday that can present other issues. Hopefully, since school will technically be out of session that day, they will let folks reasonably use their parking passes for the campus garages and not restrict arrival times. I gave my tickets away for the Friday game last year since I didn't want to battle Friday night Bay Area traffic and didn't want to be restricted in my arrival time to 2 hours before the game. I don't live a just few minutes from Berkeley and I certainly don't need the added headaches.
There are actually 7 home games this season.

My ideal number of home night games is zero, although September night games at Memorial are acceptable to me because the weather can still be nice and warm (the Tennessee game comes to mind). My question regarded how we know anything about the number of night games at home this coming year since currently none of the games on the schedule have been announced as night games (and the only weekday game falls on a date that does not preclude a day game)? If oskidunker is simply taking the recent historical average of night games (about two per season) as a predictor and assessing that as "too much" then I think we're jumping the gun on declaring that there will be a lot of night games since there could be fewer than that. Perhaps there will only be one night game; with seven home games, would one night game be too much to warrant buying season tickets even for those who didn't intend to attend any night games?

I would also take into account the likelihood that this coming home season should be very enjoyable to watch from a standpoint of our team doing well.
TheSouseFamily
MugsVanSant said:

I read a comment from a pissed off Raider fan in the SF Comical that said he was going to buy Cal tickets because, even though Cal will never be good, at least Cal will not move. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple thousand Raider fans thinking the same way. If so we'll need more police.

And more beer stands. On the bright side, KA-CHING.
maxer
I'm the kid of two Cal alums and grew up going to games and sitting in the family section (the north end zone seats used to be sort of fenced off and you could buy a "family ticket" for not very much money that got 2 adults and 2 kids in, and you sat wherever you wanted).

That turned me into a lifelong Cal fan, and then I also went to Cal. Now I give them money, follow all the sports, etc etc.

There has been functionally zero outreach to me from the AD, other than just the normal "Buy your season tickets now!" emails.

I understand that there is a nationwide drop in attendance for CFB, but the AD's marketing dept is really not good. Upsell me on the clubs. Offer me something to make it attractive to bring the kids. Something.
71Bear
Cave Bear said:

C6Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

oskidunker said:

There are actually 7 home games this season.

My ideal number of home night games is zero, although September night games at Memorial are acceptable to me because the weather can still be nice and warm (the Tennessee game comes to mind). My question regarded how we know anything about the number of night games at home this coming year since currently none of the games on the schedule have been announced as night games (and the only weekday game falls on a date that does not preclude a day game)? If oskidunker is simply taking the recent historical average of night games (about two per season) as a predictor and assessing that as "too much" then I think we're jumping the gun on declaring that there will be a lot of night games since there could be fewer than that. Perhaps there will only be one night game; with seven home games, would one night game be too much to warrant buying season tickets even for those who didn't intend to attend any night games?

I would also take into account the likelihood that this coming home season should be very enjoyable to watch from a standpoint of our team doing well.

The likelihood of multiple night games is enhanced by the expected jump in quality of play.
Bobodeluxe
Pac12 network picks up the garbage game for late viewing.
MilleniaBear
+1 I don't get how the ATO can ask customers to shell out 4 figures for a pair of season tickets eight months in advance where you don't know if you can even make it to the games. It was a mantra in my family to schedule around Cal home games - no Saturday afternoon events on home games! Weddings, baptisms, anniversaries, whatever. Now we say "go ahead - might be a night/morning game". The guaranteed 5-7 friends/family reunions at games is history.

Maybe ask the Raiders if you can have their customer database in the Bay Area so you can market to them!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.