More on UCLA's football train wreck

12,638 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by helltopay1
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a ton of new conclusions (Chip is losing, players are transferring and he can't recruit). Only mind blower to me is that they may be bringing Azz back as DC. That's beyond belief given their defensive performance. And some of these numbers are pretty shocking. Worth a read if you're interested in hearing about the demise of one of our perennial rivals.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872260-after-4th-straight-losing-season-what-is-going-on-with-ucla-football
Beardog26
Honestly, that article does not bother me in the least. I hope to continue to roll the Bruins for years on end.
Sebastabear
Beardog26 said:

Honestly, that article does not bother me in the least. I hope to continue to roll the Bruins for years on end.
Indeed. I'd be in favor of every other school in the Pac-12 cloning Chip Kelly (the 2020 version, not the 2007 version) and making him their head coach. He's been a godsend . . . for us.
burritos
I remember that we wanted him though.
Cave Bear
burritos said:

I remember some Cal fans wanted him. Just like some of us wanted Tosh and Kiffin.
NeverOddOrEven
Chip Kelly would have been a home run hire for Cal at the time. Good thing that didn't happen.
Beardog26
This. There were probably many who would've liked to see Chip in the blue and gold. However, after his disaster with the 49ers, the continuing evolution of defensive tendencies against Chip's scheme, and knowing the low academic bar his Oregon players had to clear in the recruiting game, I was not convinced that he was going to be as successful at a higher level academic institution (UCLA being one, but even more true had it been Cal).
Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

Not a ton of new conclusions (Chip is losing, players are transferring and he can't recruit). Only mind blower to me is that they may be bringing Azz back as DC. That's beyond belief given their defensive performance. And some of these numbers are pretty shocking. Worth a read if you're interested in hearing about the demise of one of our perennial rivals.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872260-after-4th-straight-losing-season-what-is-going-on-with-ucla-football
I was getting ready to throw a rock when I noticed the following from the cited article:

"UCLA managed only the smallest level of respectability with a 4-5 record in Pac-12 play."

Didn't Cal have a similar 4-5 conference record?
Hei Bei
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

I was getting ready to throw a rock when I noticed the following from the cited article:

"UCLA managed only the smallest level of respectability with a 4-5 record in Pac-12 play."

Yes, but for some strange reason, 4-5 means something completely different to Cal fans.
01Bear
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Sure, but Cal also had a better overall (even winning) record to supplement that "smallest level of respectability."
Sebastabear
burritos said:

Yeah and I really wanted Jimmy Lake to be our DC and thought we were "settling" with DeRuyter. Lake who, while talented, absolutely would have bolted by now for another job even if we'd gotten him and DeRuyter who has been an absolute home run for us on every level. Huge swing and a miss for me on that one.

Basically, we (and I definitely include myself here) are idiots on this stuff. If we have any insights it's seeing when a hire isn't working, and maybe there we are able to do it earlier than those who made the hire and are operating with a confirmation bias. Bottom line we have to trust the people who make the hires and then keep our fingers crossed.

Sebastabear
01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Sure, but Cal also had a better overall (even winning) record to supplement that "smallest level of respectability."
Uh, yeah, that definitely has something to do with it. Plus beating Washington (pre-season CFP dark horse) and our rival for the first time in a billion years feels a whole lot better than the wins UCLA cobbled together. You also have to look at how our season ended (going 3-0) vs. theirs (0-3). Momentum is a thing.
NYCGOBEARS
Chipper at Fucla makes me very happy.
Blueblood
NYCGOBEARS said:

Chipper at Fucla makes me very happy.

I'd be happy too if I had the
T-shirt below:

NeverOddOrEven
Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

One of those four was the most epic coug-ing since Cal 60, WSU 59
Blueblood
01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

You don't say? Well how about that! Beating OOC teams has really garnered a lot of respect in the confernece
for the Bears to the point where the fans are clawing their way into CMS!
hanky1
Defensive line coaches typically don't make great DCs.

In order to be a successful DC, you need to understand and call coverage schemes. DB coaching do this. LB coaches also have knowledge of this. DLine coaches? No.
TheSouseFamily
bear2034
Blueblood, UCLA to the Mountain West, your thoughts?

Blueblood
oskirules said:

Football Winning % over Past 5 Years with National Rank

15. Washington .701
19. Utah .687
22. Stanford .662
WSU .662
28. USC .636
32. Oregon .631
62. Cal .524
66. ASU .516
84. Colorado .460
96. Arizona .419
100. UCLA .403
122. OSU .233

Sounds good to me, especially if Cal went along too. Using TheSouseFamily provided data, it doesn't appear Cal will be doing much in the Pac-12 for next 5 years. Note the north division members, UDub, furds, Wazzu, Oregon are all ahead of the Bears' percentage, but ucla looks to be in Cal's league.
NVBear78
Blueblood said:

oskirules said:

Football Winning % over Past 5 Years with National Rank

15. Washington .701
19. Utah .687
22. Stanford .662
WSU .662
28. USC .636
32. Oregon .631
62. Cal .524
66. ASU .516
84. Colorado .460
96. Arizona .419
100. UCLA .403
122. OSU .233

Sounds good to me, especially if Cal went along too. Using TheSouseFamily provided data, it doesn't appear Cal will be doing much in the Pac-12 for next 5 years. Note the north division members, UDub, furds, Wazzu, Oregon are all ahead of the Bears' percentage, but ucla looks to be in Cal's league.

Looks like we are closer to Oregon, USC and the Furd's in winning percentage than to UCLA and our trend is up while they have continued a downward trend...
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
4th straight losing season, eh? Other than when that program first started (5 straight L seasons '19-'24), the worst they had done was 3 in a row '62-'64. I'm hoping he wins 6 next regular season, 7 in '21, and gets the boot only after 2022.
01Bear
Sebastabear said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Uh, yeah, that definitely has something to do with it. Plus beating Washington (pre-season CFP dark horse) and our rival for the first time in a billion years feels a whole lot better than the wins UCLA cobbled together. You also have to look at how our season ended (going 3-0) vs. theirs (0-3). Momentum is a thing.

Agreed 100%.
01Bear
Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

You don't say? Well how about that! Beating OOC teams has really garnered a lot of respect in the confernece

It's garnered more respect in the conference than previously, when Cal was considered a doormat with its matador defense.
LunchTime
01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

4-8 = 8-5 in some people's brains.

Also, attendance has increased every year under Wilcox.

heartofthebear
It would be nice to get that OL that is transferring. We could use another 4 star OL.
calumnus
Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Yep, with all our players healthy we put up 27 on UC Davis, just like Sac State did!

Cal OOC opponents
Win over 5-7 UC Davis
Win over 4-8 North Texas
Win over 4-8 Ole Miss
Bowl win over 6-7 Illinois

Collectively 19-30

UCLA OOC opponents
Loss to 11-3 Cincinnati
Loss to 10-3 San Diego State
Loss to 12-2 Oklahoma

Collectively 33-8

We would definitely be feeling differently if we didn't have the 3 OOC wins, two over complete patsies, and had finished 4-8. The Axe would still be just as sweet (though FWIW UCLA beat Stanford too, by 18 points versus our 4 points). We did beat UCLA in the head to head, however.

That said, with Musgrave coming in I am feeling very optimistic.
01Bear
calumnus said:

Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Yep, with all our players healthy we put up 27 on UC Davis, just like Sac State did!

Cal OOC opponents
Win over 5-7 UC Davis
Win over 4-8 North Texas
Win over 4-8 Ole Miss

Collectively 19-30

UCLA OOC opponents
Loss to 11-3 Cincinnati
Loss to 12-2 Oklahoma

Collectively 33-8

We would definitely be feeling differently if we didn't have the 3 OOC wins, two over complete patsies, and had finished 4-8. The Axe would still be just as sweet (though FWIW UCLA beat Stanford too, by 18 points versus our 4 points). We did beat UCLA in the head to head, however.

As you well know, Cal can only play the teams on its schedule, which is usually something that was contracted years in advance. While Davis and North Texas were unlikely to be juggernauts, who knew Ole Miss would be so bad? Additionally, the Illinois victory was in a bowl game, meaning the Illini weren't horrible, even if they weren't great.
NVBear78
calumnus said:

Blueblood said:

01Bear said:

Blueblood said:

Sebastabear said:

Cal OOC opponents
Win over 5-7 UC Davis
Win over 4-8 North Texas
Win over 4-8 Ole Miss

Collectively 19-30

UCLA OOC opponents
Loss to 11-3 Cincinnati
Loss to 12-2 Oklahoma

Collectively 33-8

In college football it matters who you have when you play someone

Stanfurd was down to third string QB when they lost to UCLA.

We won every game that Garbers started and finished. Unfortunately he missed the middle part of the season and it showed in our results.

But we finished strong and our trend is good.
wifeisafurd
Kind of a mystery what is going on with Chip. The last couple years it has been because they are one of the youngest teams. That means guys are leaving or next year the excuse has run its course.

He has a good QB, so that excuse is gone.

Her has had a good running back.

The oline is again all frosh. Why?

The defense is young.

Why no transfers or JC. Really don't get the continuing lack of class balance. It is like watching Wilcox in reverse.

What am I missing?

01Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Kind of a mystery what is going on with Chip. The last couple years it has been because they are one of the youngest teams. That means guys are leaving or next year the excuse has run its course.

The defense is young.

Why no transfers or JC. Really don't get the continuing lack of class balance. It is like watching Wilcox in reverse.

What am I missing?

Rumor has it that Chip Kelly hates recruiting. Maybe he's the Monty version of a football coach, only he's also lost his mojo (whereas, Monty was still a good regular season coach).
Sebastabear
01Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

The defense is young.

What am I missing?

Rumor has it that Chip Kelly hates recruiting. Maybe he's the Monty version of a football coach, only he's also lost his mojo (whereas, Monty was still a good regular season coach).
If you read their board the Bruin fans seem pretty convinced they will soon be fielding a team composed exclusively of preferred walk ons. Apparently they have an endless supply of those.
Bear_in_Budapest
oski003
He misses Phil Knight, his lead recruiter at Oregon.
LMK5
wifeisafurd said:

The defense is young.

What am I missing?

I don't think you're missing anything. Chip loves to play the youth card. He makes you think it was something he inherited. He never explains why so many veterans left the program under his watch.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.