New 2020 Admissions Requirements

2,105 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jon Wilner and the Mercury news recently reported the academic requirements for incoming University of California students will "greatly ease some admissions requirements for fall 2020 and beyond" due to the current novel coronavirus. He further wondered whether this could impact the bear's 2021 recruiting class by expanding the number of qualified and admittable applicants. Any thoughts from Staff/Insiders? Are there any good to great guys that were on the peripheries of qualification or were looking to shore up their grades over this next year? Basically, is there anyone in particular who comes to mind that you would love to add to this recruiting class who is now in play or significantly more so with this new announcement?

Edits: First edit to correct the recruiting class impact to 2021. Second to explain edit and note that this is a system wide UC policy that will benefit the baby bears (formerly, and always, the Southern Branch Grizzlies) and chip kelly as well.

I'll look to see if I can find the article/tweet. I just had it somewhere, it's probably hidden in my tabs
LunchTime
What is the reasoning? Because schools were closed?
Bearly Clad
I would assume it is because SAT and extracurricular activities they look for can't be done and HS life and schooling in general will have been disrupted for a serious amount of time for anyone currently in school. So traditional metrics for admittance will have to be thrown out the window, at least to a degree. In the time coming out of this crisis I think it's admirable that the institution gets back to their roots and founding mission: to provide an education and degree to every kid raised/living in California. That was the goal of the UC system, an education for everyone. I understand that Cal and UC Los Angeles have had to make some concessions on the 'everyone' part of the mission in order to be world class institutions and the rest of the system theoretically can pick up the slack. But I think there's room for more balance and I think they should give more opportunities to middle-class and working-class kids who are maybe slightly less qualified than your average Berkeley student; but that's just my 2 cents
LunchTime
Bearly Clad said:

to provide an education and degree to every kid raised/living in California.
Is that what will be happening?

Is there an effort to focus on California residents over out of state or international?
Bearly Clad
I don't know. I know that more California kids will be qualified if they lower requirements and the rest is basically me on a soapbox. I should be more clear about what are fact and what is my assumptions and personal opinions
GivemTheAxe
LunchTime said:

Bearly Clad said:

Is there an effort to focus on California residents over out of state or international?

There is not enough room even if the more strict admission standards of last year were imposed. Too many qualified students and the growth of the UC System slowed after UCSC was built in the 1970's(?)

The state legislature felt it was more important to build or expand prisons than to build new UC's.

Also keep in mind that out of state students are helping to keep tuition more affordable for in state students. They pay multiples more than in state students. This is very important in a time when the state legislature is paying only 11-12% of the UC budget.
ColoradoBear
Bearly Clad said:

In the time coming out of this crisis I think it's admirable that the institution gets back to their roots and founding mission: to provide an education and degree to every kid raised/living in California. That was the goal of the UC system, an education for everyone.
Clark Kerr's Master Plan for Higher Educationnly guaranteed the top 1/8 of high schoolers admission into UC's and the top third to get into CSU's. That NOT education for everyone. Far from it. Community colleges were supposed to be for all, and cheap.

In this situation, there are not more dollars coming in so the waiving of grade/SAT requirements won't change how many are educated, but who is selected.

HoopDreams
I would guess fewer out of state and international students will come to cal to stay closer to home, which will hurt cal's budget as less out of state tuition

OdontoBear66
GivemTheAxe said:

LunchTime said:

Bearly Clad said:

There is not enough room even if the more strict admission standards of last year were imposed. Too many qualified students and the growth of the UC System slowed after UCSC was built in the 1970's(?)

The state legislature felt it was more important to build or expand prisons than to build new UC's.

Also keep in mind that out of state students are helping to keep tuition more affordable for in state students. They pay multiples more than in state students. This is very important in a time when the state legislature is paying only 11-12% of the UC budget.
Admissions for out of state students are allowing ridiculous and excessive social programs in California as opposed to spending the monies on California infrastructure and the UC system---a wonderful program in the 50s and 60s that we abandoned.
71Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

LunchTime said:

Bearly Clad said:

Admissions for out of state students are allowing ridiculous and excessive social programs in California as opposed to spending the monies on California infrastructure and the UC system---a wonderful program in the 50s and 60s that we abandoned.
Wow, that was a drive-by slam...

Exactly which "ridiculous and excessive" social programs are you referencing?
Oski87
Basically I think this is going to allow Pass / Not Pass grades for this semester. Many schools are going to have to do that for Spring 2020 since classes are not going to be there. There will also be some classes that perhaps are not taken, so you can't get your 8 semesters of English if there were only 7 semesters because your school closed and you did not get a grade this semester.

UCSD sent my son a note saying that if the schools had P / NP grades for this semester or if classes were not completed, they would understand and not rescind his admission. I think that is what this is all about - not a reduction in the required GPA, etc.
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Basically I think this is going to allow Pass / Not Pass grades for this semester. Many schools are going to have to do that for Spring 2020 since classes are not going to be there. There will also be some classes that perhaps are not taken, so you can't get your 8 semesters of English if there were only 7 semesters because your school closed and you did not get a grade this semester.

UCSD sent my son a note saying that if the schools had P / NP grades for this semester or if classes were not completed, they would understand and not rescind his admission. I think that is what this is all about - not a reduction in the required GPA, etc.

I think that is for the kids already admitted for Fall 2020. Not much needed to change for them. The admission criteria and decision was the same as past years. It is the 2021 entering class (and beyond) that is more at issue. The biggest change is the elimination of the SAT, something they had been toying with for years anyway.
Big Dog
While UC will essentially go test optional for next fall, there will still be athletes across the country missing a minimum ncaa qualifying test score. And with the SAT/ACT shut down, the ncaa should consider a change.
Oski87
calumnus said:

Oski87 said:

I think that is for the kids already admitted for Fall 2020. Not much needed to change for them. The admission criteria and decision was the same as past years. It is the 2021 entering class (and beyond) that is more at issue. The biggest change is the elimination of the SAT, something they had been toying with for years anyway.
I am mostly thinking about classes that were not finished this semester or may have been completed with P/NP. There are limited P/NP classes you can take for UC admission. Remember that UC only uses Sophmore and Junior grades. 25% of those may be missing - a big chunk.
OdontoBear66
GivemTheAxe said:

LunchTime said:

Bearly Clad said:

I am not sure I get the logic of the last paragraph. In order to have more out of state students paying higher OOS tuition fees, we have to reduce the California students (whatever their qualifications) to admittance. There is only so much room. So yes, for the fewer Californians who are admitted, the tuition is less. But then for those Californians who are not admitted because of that OOS student it is a disaster. Then the question arises if the OOS are less or equally qualified than some of those instate students academically.

And finally, the UC system was built around a system to educate students from families in our state. I would suggest that the OOS fit the private school mold better. You are suggesting education to a higher, but yes qualified, bidder. Now if it were a federal system, that would be OK, but the is a state system.

BTW, this is not NIMBYism as we were fortunate enough to get ours in this year. But the system as it is tis not fair to those from California who did not get in because an OOS student took their place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.