What's your favorite Cal sporting event to rewatch in its entirety?

4,614 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jay4e
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Given we have no live sports, what do you search out for when you need a Cal fix?
ferCALgm2
You just gave me a great idea. It's my birthday today and I may just make the family re-watch the Tennessee at Cal football game! Hands down one of my most favorite memories as a Cal student.
Chabbear
Any event where we kill Stanford

Go Bears
bearsandgiants
2003 Football vs. USC is my #1. '82 Big Game was incredible, too, but I wasn't there, so it's not the same.
bluehenbear
2009 Big Game
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

2003 Football vs. USC is my #1. '82 Big Game was incredible, too, but I wasn't there, so it's not the same.

82 Big Game actually should be viewed in its entirety to understand the full extent of the drama of The Play. Just an amazing game, though the last 5 minutes is good. We had Stanford and Elway beat and then blew it in what felt like typical Cal fashion. After their "miracle" drive and field goal, the Stanford Band and team rushed the field (resulting in a penalty) and many Cal fans head for the exits. When the yell leaders called for us to stand up and wave our blue and gold for the kick off, we mostly did so, but dejectedly.
okaydo
2006 Holiday Bowl.

The final game of what diehard Cal fans agree is the greatest Cal football season of the last 25 years.

FreeTrialMan
Cal over Duke to get to the Sweet 16
oskidunker
FreeTrialMan said:

Just watched it you tube. Lamond Murray could Go! and Hasse could shoot! Even KJ Roberts looked good. And Monty Buckley was one of my favorite players.

Enjoy! Stat sheet stuffer....long arms...impossible rebound and lay up by Kidd.
run2win
1975 football game vs. USC
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
calumnus
okaydo said:

2006 Holiday Bowl.

The final game of what diehard Cal fans agree is the greatest Cal football season of the last 25 years.

2006 is only a great season if you skip the Arizona and USC games. Those were miserable and cost us the Rose Bowl.
kirklandblue
I just did happen to send the link to DJackson's punt return to some friends as an uplifting moment for right now. I was not at that game but have wondered how nuts it must have been in CMS at that moment. I was at the 75 SC game (right up there) and also "The Play". I've wondered, on a scale of 100, if "The Play" was 100, where would the Punt Return be?
ducky23
FreeTrialMan said:

There is only one right answer. And this is the correct one
dimitrig
BearGreg said:

Given we have no live sports, what do you search out for when you need a Cal fix?
dimitrig
oskidunker said:

FreeTrialMan said:

Just watched it you tube. Lamond Murray could Go! and Hasse could shoot! Even KJ Roberts looked good. And Monty Buckley was one of my favorite players.

I watched this game at a bar in the Oakland Airport while waiting for a flight. Great venue and great result!
LunchTime
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

2006 Holiday Bowl.

2006 is only a great season if you skip the Arizona and USC games. Those were miserable and cost us the Rose Bowl.
what was the better season 1996 to 2019? 2004 Maybe?

Honestly 2006 is in the top 2 for best seasons in the last 25 years.

I mean, I looked at the last half century and I cant find a season where we did go to the Rose Bowl. I'm new here, so maybe I missed it
SFCityBear
run2win said:

I think I remember how hyped up everyone was. Didn't Steve Maehl start the game by kicking his first two kickoffs out of bounds, and then drilled his third over the goal posts and over the back of the end zone? And it was game on, as the Bears whipped the Trojans.
SFCityBear
For me, I think it would be the 1956 Big Game, which was Pappy's last game. Stanford, led by All-American QB John Brodie, was favored by 3 TDs, I think. Cal was 3-7, and led by soph QB Joe Kapp, who started the season as the 3rd string QB. A few days before the game, maybe in order to fire up the team, Pappy announced his retirement from coaching, effective after the game. The underdog Bears went on to win, 20-18. I wish there were a tape or film of this game, including the last talk from the stadium balcony with Waldorf, Kapp and the game captains.
longseeker
CitySF: I was at Pappy's last game in the Cal rooting section albeit I was still in High School and sitting in the Cal Men's section (thanks to a Cal student who took me to the game).

What I always recall is that Pappy could not give his speech because the fans roared as he said a few words, so I think he just said "It's a lovely day, it's a lovely time"!!
travelingbears
03 usc game. Also, any nail biter games in which cal ends up with a W. (Yes, even all those crazy games in dykes era)
79 Bear
kirklandblue said:

I just did happen to send the link to DJackson's punt return to some friends as an uplifting moment for right now. I was not at that game but have wondered how nuts it must have been in CMS at that moment. I was at the 75 SC game (right up there) and also "The Play". I've wondered, on a scale of 100, if "The Play" was 100, where would the Punt Return be?
I was at all 3. As great as DJ's punt return was I'd rank them:

'82 Big Game--no question. One of the greatest games of all time.

'75 defeat of USC--another great game. I could be ranking this higher than some but I was a freshman at the time and this was my first taste of such a sweet upset victory.

DeSean's punt return--no question was great but he had many great punt returns and there were many great plays in that game--e.g. Follett's hit on Ainge and Worrell Williams' recovery of fumble for a TD. Walking up to the stadium I heard a Tennessee fan say to his friend that they would show us how football is played. It was a sweet victory, especially after the embarrassment from the year before.

Hard to answer your question about how to put a number to each. The '82 Big Game is definitely a 100 though.

For another candidate to re-watch: How about Cal vs. Oregon at Eugene in 2007 (football)?
CVBear01
Thanks for posting the video. If anyone has 10 minutes, I highly suggest watching the last 5 minutes of the 1st half. That was a lot of talent on that team.
NVBear78
SFCityBear said:

run2win said:

I think I remember how hyped up everyone was. Didn't Steve Maehl start the game by kicking his first two kickoffs out of bounds, and then drilled his third over the goal posts and over the back of the end zone? And it was game on, as the Bears whipped the Trojans.

That is correct about the opening kickoffs. It looked disastrous initially but then turned out great.
bonsallbear

2nd half of Cal vs Oregon 1993. Greatest comeback in PAC 12 history

Two things stand out. Dave Barr's composure and accuracy. Wonder if he has any more eligibility

Thrilling to watch again!

burritos
Is there a copy of the Justin Vedder comeback against SC floating out there?
Chapman_is_Gone
CVBear01 said:

Thanks for posting the video. If anyone has 10 minutes, I highly suggest watching the last 5 minutes of the 1st half. That was a lot of talent on that team.

Ryan Jamison's contribution: 1 point on 0-1 shooting, plus only 1-3 from the line with at least one miss on the front end of a one-and-and. Lest anyone forget his typical quality of play. He should not appear on any "best of" lists, as he currently does on one basketball board thread.

Otherwise, awesome game. This game reminds me that Jerod Haase should never be badmouthed on this board. He made some of the biggest shots in the history of the program.
SFCityBear
NVBear78 said:

SFCityBear said:

run2win said:

That is correct about the opening kickoffs. It looked disastrous initially but then turned out great.
The final kick was all the more impressive, since it was longer by the yards assessed due to the penalties incurred after each of the first two kicks going out of bounds.
SFCityBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

CVBear01 said:

Ryan Jamison's contribution: 1 point on 0-1 shooting, plus only 1-3 from the line with at least one miss on the front end of a one-and-and. Lest anyone forget his typical quality of play. He should not appear on any "best of" lists, as he currently does on one basketball board thread.

Otherwise, awesome game. This game reminds me that Jerod Haase should never be badmouthed on this board. He made some of the biggest shots in the history of the program.
While I usually have respect for most of your posts, I don't understand why you so often badmouth Ryan Jamison. Did he do or say something to you personally, or did he let you down in some way for you to single him out for this kind of treatment. I have contempt for some players myself: Amoke for stealing laptops, Seeley for not giving 100% and sulking, Solomon for cheating (but he turned his ship around), and even a little for Sueing for attitude. Jamison was not a very good player, I'll give you that, but he was a backup to Brian Hendrick for 2 years, and better than Brendan Graves, wasn't he? Then he shared the center with Yogi for the next 2 seasons and Marks for one, with none of them really distinguishing themselves enough to win a lot of minutes.

Your description of Jamison's contribution in the win over Duke was accurate, but it was not typical of him at all. In that season, his sophomore season, He shot 0.451 from the field, 0.519 on FTs, averaged 3.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. And #10 ranked Duke was the 2nd toughest opponent he had faced all season, with only Arizona ranked higher. The following year, Jamison improved to 0.468 from the field, 0.598 on FTs, averaging 7.5 points per and 5.2 rebounds. Those are not chopped liver numbers.

As to Haase, he played great in that Duke game, shooting 5 for 6 from the field, 3 for 4 on threes, and scored 13 points. He was playing way over his head. That game was not typical of his season, where he shot 0.389 from the field, and 0.323 on threes, and averaged 7.2 points a game. I liked his play a lot that year, and I was so looking forward to seeing him play the next three years at Cal. Then came a big letdown, when he quit the Cal team for Kansas. I have come to reluctantly accept players jumping to the NBA, but I usually don't like the idea of transferring to another school, because it shows immaturity to be disloyal like that. I could accept him transferring because he could not play for Bozeman, or if he did not like the Campanelli firing. If I was a player, I would not want to play for Bozeman either. But if he just left to get more exposure, or play for a top program, I wouldn't like it. What shooting guard would not want to play with Jason Kidd? If Haase had stayed, I don't think Cal loses to Wisconsin-Green Bay in 1994.

So I don't badmouth Haase, because I don't know his motives for leaving his Cal team. Still, he took the job at Stanford, so I won't be rooting for him, unless it is in a game near the end of the season, where Stanford needs to beat Arizona or UCLA or Oregon, etc. to cinch the PAC12 championship for our Bears.

BearGreg
Staff
Didn't most of Cal's player prefer playing for Bozeman over Campanelli that season? Isn't that why Bozeman got the job?
Chapman_is_Gone
I make a critical comment about Jamo about once every two years on this board -- not very often! But he simply is, for Cal players who got major prime-time minutes, probably my least favorite Cal player of all time. And that list is very very short. Should I apologize for that? I was a student at the time, and I saw every minute he played at Cal.

Dude took more of Jason Kidd's balls off his head than did Kidd's girlfriend.

Here he is doing what he did all too often, missing an easy layup off a nice Kidd feed:

I think his career numbers are terrible given the quantity of minutes he was given. Your emotional reaction to a dude on the internet "badmouthing" a player is causing you to gloss over just how bad his numbers were. A visit to sports-reference.com supports my view. His first two years, he wasn't in the same gym as our other big men like Hendrick and Grigsby (and it would be unfair to expect him to have been). But in his junior year a freshman Yogi Stewart put up equivalent numbers, and then, in Jamo's senior season, Yogi simply outplayed Jamo in all facets, outscoring him and grabbing more than 2x the total rebounds. Jamo shot 36% from the line his senior year--it makes you wonder what was going on to deteriorate in your senior year.

I respect your opinion. This simply boils down to you and I viewing the world differently. You are more sensitive than me, and (I'm generalizing) you don't feel anything negative should be said about college players. I generally agree, but I make a few exceptions for a couple of players who drove me to drink

Dude is probably a nice guy...I've never said anything negative about him personally. No, I did not know him.
kelly09
Two games...both basketball.
Cal 64 Cincinnatti 58
Cal 71 West Virginia 70
hanky1
oskidunker said:

FreeTrialMan said:

The first assist by Kidd is so sweet
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

82 Big Game actually should be viewed in its entirety to understand the full extent of the drama of The Play. Just an amazing game, though the last 5 minutes is good. We had Stanford and Elway beat and then blew it in what felt like typical Cal fashion. After their "miracle" drive and field goal, the Stanford Band and team rushed the field (resulting in a penalty) and many Cal fans head for the exits. When the yell leaders called for us to stand up and wave our blue and gold for the kick off, we mostly did so, but dejectedly.

Totally agree with this.
The entire game was GREAT.
1. two of the best TD catches I have seen by two different Cal receivers. Not to mention two beautiful passes.
2. Crazy emotional swings from Cal to Stanfurd to Cal to Stanfurd to Cal.
3. Several BIG missed opportunities for Cal to put the game away: Cal's Missed FG's. Cal gets a turnover in the waning minutes but fails to get a first down to burn the clock. Cal Safety just misses a second turnover
in the waning minutes of the game. Cal has Stanfurd 4th and 17 deep on Stanfurd side of the field and misses a sack of Elway by inches. (My heart sank again and again!). ( With 4 seconds left in the clock in an impossible situation I was bemoaning Cal's many missed opportunities. It was almost like Fate was toying with the hearts of Cal fans all game long then would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory).
4. Then came the Play. There is nothing to describe my feelings. Joe Starkey's off-the-charts description does not do justice to the way I felt.
5. But it wasn't over even then. We in the stands were I elated but in agony for what seemed like 5 minutes as the refs seemed to go back and forth in coming to a decision. Will it Count. The Bears had scored; the cannon had gone off. But there were still flags all over the field. Were there offsetting fouls. Would Cal have to do it all over again. No, please. Finally euphoria for Cal fans. Let the partying begin.
bonsallbear
I implore all true Cal football fans to watch the'93 Cal Oregon game I posted above. This will truly change your mind and you will fall in love with Cal football all over again
82gradDLSdad
"Dude took more of Jason Kidd's balls off his head than did Kidd's girlfriend."

Great line.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.