Mike Leach sorry for behaving like Mike Leach

3,224 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

GBear4Life
"Fan" reactions keep making me like Leach more and more
okaydo
Dang, it made people.

ColoradoBear
Real question here: is Leach on the spectrum?
62bear
ColoradoBear said:

Real question here: is Leach on the spectrum?
so you're saying the reason MSU didn't fire him is because of ADA implications?
Big C
C'mon, people. The context was that the old lady was knitting the noose to hang her husband. I repeat: SHE ONLY WANTED TO HANG HER HUSBAND. So it was a funny joke, right? And the fact that the image of a noose nowadays is symbolic of lynching, especially in the South, and pretty much everybody knows that... hey, he didn't intend it that way. Plus, he just arrived in Mississippi from the other end of the country, fer God's sake.
Fyght4Cal

I tweeted at him that players and parents might react to negatively to that Obama post and other racially-tinged tweets. He blocked me.

Now he knows. Black people in the South do not play about lynching, segregation or slavery. These are not joking matters.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
62bear
Big C said:

C'mon, people. The context was that the old lady was knitting the noose to hang her husband. I repeat: SHE ONLY WANTED TO HANG HER HUSBAND. So it was a funny joke, right? And the fact that the image of a noose nowadays is symbolic of lynching, especially in the South, and pretty much everybody knows that... hey, he didn't intend it that way. Plus, he just arrived in Mississippi from the other end of the country, fer God's sake.

He's coached extensively in the south with stops in the states of Georgia and Kentucky. And that's not to mention stints in Oklahoma and Texas. He has a history of being an embarrassment when he takes to twitter. We don't need to make excuses for him.
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Yes in all likelihood he meant as a joke. But as you tell your kids when they do something stupid : he should have known better. After all he is a grown man.
And racism is not located in the South.

When I was in the Army at Ft Lewis WA in the 1970's we send an honor guard to Eastern Washington to accompany the body of a deceased soldier for burial in his hometown. Soon thereafter we received a few letters of outrage that the Army would dare to include Black soldiers in the honor guard for a White soldier.

GivemTheAxe
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Yes in all likelihood he meant as a joke. But as you tell your kids when they do something stupid : he should have known better. After all he is a grown man.
And racism is not located in the South.

When I was in the Army at Ft Lewis WA in the 1970's we send an honor guard to Eastern Washington to accompany the body of a deceased soldier for burial in his hometown. Soon thereafter we received a few letters of outrage that the Army would dare to include Black soldiers in the honor guard for a White soldier.

Maybe Leach was totally oblivious to the significance that many people Black & White would impose on a noose. Maybe he thought it was just funny. But in this day and age and having had extensive contact with Black players, coaches and staff, such obliviousness shows a lack of judgment.

[By the way. Sorry for the double posting I just now
see that to edit my prior post I should have clicked on the three dots (...) in the margin. Live and learn]

Big C
62bear said:

Big C said:

He's coached extensively in the south with stops in the states of Georgia and Kentucky. And that's not to mention stints in Oklahoma and Texas. He has a history of being an embarrassment when he takes to twitter. We don't need to make excuses for him.

Sorry, I thought the middle three lines of my post made it obvious that I was being facetious.
Northside91
He's not a racist. He's not a democrat. He's not a republican. And he's not clueless...
He's self-promoter in the same vein as Kim Kardashian or most any reality TV star.

Fame and infamy are one and the same. As long as people are watching, listening and talking about you, all is right with the world. Leach knows that and is capitalizing on this reputation every step of the way. The constituency that matters to him (MSU donors, NOT players) like his loud mouthed, contrarian qualities and probably like the image in his tweet. He's giving them what they want, burnishing his credentials and feeding his jones for attention at the same time. Nothing to see here.
Fyght4Cal
Northside91 said:

He's not a racist. He's not a democrat. He's not a republican. And he's not clueless...
He's self-promoter in the same vein as Kim Kardashian or most any reality TV star.

Fame and infamy are one and the same. As long as people are watching, listening and talking about you, all is right with the world. Leach knows that and is capitalizing on this reputation every step of the way. The constituency that matters to him (MSU donors, NOT players) like his loud mouthed, contrarian qualities and probably like the image in his tweet. He's giving them what they want, burnishing his credentials and feeding his jones for attention at the same time. Nothing to see here.
This post is really odd. Did you not see that it was a player's tweet that caused him to apologize? Do you understand that a team mutiny was brewing? The players have their own agency and ability to affect events. Leach knows this, which is why he apologized.

He blocked me (and probably others) because he didn't want to hear what I had to say. But, he had no choice but to listen to the players. No amount of notoriety overcomes a divided locker room. Especially a racially divided one.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
62bear
Big C said:

62bear said:

Big C said:

Sorry, I thought the middle three lines of my post made it obvious that I was being facetious.
Boy, did that one fly right over my head. *whoosh* Being cooped up indoors is not having good effects on me.

That said, Leach is a monster. He's already apparently lost a player to the portal over this. I'm half hoping we won't see him coaching for too much longer but if he were out of a coaching gig, we know he'd inevitably land a commentator/analyst/bloviating-head gig somewhere.
okaydo
A lot of people who like to denounce "snowflakes" but who would be offended if a coach mocked DJT, JC or kneeled during the anthem don't realize that he's helping other coaches recruit against him.
Big C
62bear said:

Big C said:

62bear said:

Big C said:

Boy, did that one fly right over my head. *whoosh* Being cooped up indoors is not having good effects on me.

That said, Leach is a monster. He's already apparently lost a player to the portal over this. I'm half hoping we won't see him coaching for too much longer but if he were out of a coaching gig, we know he'd inevitably land a commentator/analyst/bloviating-head gig somewhere.

I usually think Leach is really funny, but there's a line you just don't cross. If he doesn't know that, he can pay the price.
okaydo
Great national publicity for MSU.

los altos bear
Really?
An old white women knitting a "scarf" (noose) for her husband during a time when husbands and wives are spending a little too much time together is funny... my wife showed it to me and I've seen it on social media...
the cult of victimization that has led to the vilification of Coach Leech for tweeting it is stupefying... Notwithstanding the horrific long-ago lynchings in the South, this picture/caption is wholly unrelated to it... good riddance to the players who decided to leave Starkville over something so innocuous...
okaydo
los altos bear said:

Really?
An old white women knitting a "scarf" (noose) for her husband during a time when husbands and wives are spending a little too much time together is funny... my wife showed it to me and I've seen it on social media...
the cult of victimization that has led to the vilification of Coach Leech for tweeting it is stupefying... Notwithstanding the horrific long-ago lynchings in the South, this picture/caption is wholly unrelated to it... good riddance to the players who decided to leave Starkville over something so innocuous...

And who is the leader of the "cult of victimization"? Donald Trump, of course. When you have a leader who cries like a baby at every little slight, who gets into a Twitter fight with Chrissy Teigen over naughty words words, who melts down daily like a snowflake, don't be surprised if young people start copying him. Because playing the victim card is the key to being a great leader these days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.