Morikawa earns a Masters invitation

1,497 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FuzzyWuzzy
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That gives Cal three alums in this year's tournament - An, Homa, Morikawa.

Notes:

Morikawa earned his invitation by being listed in the Top 50 of the OWGR as of the end of March.
The 2020 Masters will be held in November.

YamhillBear
Were An and Homa already in, and Morikawa only getting the invite now? I thought of the three, Morikawa was playing the best overall this year? (But I really don't follow the PGA other than to check in on the Cal Big Three, and what I overhear from my PGA-fan friends' discussions...)
okaydo
Good for him. It's always good to see former Cal athletes return to pursue higher degrees.
HighlandDutch
YamhillBear said:

Were An and Homa already in, and Morikawa only getting the invite now? I thought of the three, Morikawa was playing the best overall this year? (But I really don't follow the PGA other than to check in on the Cal Big Three, and what I overhear from my PGA-fan friends' discussions...)
I believe An was already in due to his ranking as of 12/31/2019, and Homa was already in because of his tour win last year.
71Bear
YamhillBear said:

Yep. Homa qualified by winning at Quail Hollow last May and An was in the Top 50 at the end of 2019.

And don't forget Hagy and Hahn. Along with Homa, An and Morikawa, they make up the Big 5.
75bear
How will the course differ in November as opposed to the normal April conditions?
FuzzyWuzzy
75bear said:

How will the course differ in November as opposed to the normal April conditions?
The late fall grass, foliage and (absence of) flowers will be interesting. The deciduous trees will have lost their leaves, and that could play a factor. I hope it is unseasonably cold. Wouldn't snow be great? They'd be dressed like it's an Open. Definitely not the same old, same old.
wifeisafurd
75bear said:

It is a very hilly course, and if wet in November conditions, uphill holes will have no roll, and play much longer. It would help big hitters like Max.
FuzzyWuzzy
Weather seems similar to Berkeley in Nov.

https://www.rssweather.com/climate/Georgia/Atlanta/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.