An interesting quote from an influential AD.

2,156 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Go!Bears
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee member, Walt Babcock, Va. Tech AD says that he "would be open to shifting the season even if it overlapped with other sports".
HearstMining
It's hard to know exactly what he's thinking. Obviously "shift" means push out the season and you can't do that too many weeks in autumn before you're into some seriously cold weather in the upper midwest. Maybe he's thinking about a big shift to start playing games in . . . March?.
sosheezy
Can most schools afford to defer that revenue for 6 months?
Chabbear
Basically, football is played during 3 months, September, October and November so football could be played Mid March, April, May and June.
ColoradoBear
sosheezy said:

The thought is obviously that deferring for 6 months is far better than missing revenue entirely.
NVBear78
I will watch it whenever we can!
ColoradoBear
Chabbear said:

Basically, football is played during 3 months, September, October and November so football could be played Mid March, April, May and June.
Not sure it can go that late with NFL rookie camps typically starting the 2nd week of May. NFL actually pays players so anyone drafted or even looking to get on a team as a UFA would bail on late games. NFL could make some allowances, but they aren't shifting their entire timeline.

Would think the spring season would have to be a reduced number of games, a split season with fall, or a season where the Midwest just has to nut up and play in the cold. Weather will be fine in February in CA, TX, and the South.
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

Chabbear said:

Not sure it can go that late with NFL rookie camps typically starting the 2nd week of May. NFL actually pays players so anyone drafted or even looking to get on a team as a UFA would bail on late games. NFL could make some allowances, but they aren't shifting their entire timeline.

Would think the spring season would have to be a reduced number of games, a split season with fall, or a season where the Midwest just has to nut up and play in the cold. Weather will be fine in February in CA, TX, and the South.

How are the those NFL rookie camps going this year. Oh right. They were all cancelled. If college football shifts their schedule, the NFL will make the necessary adjustments just as they are adjusting this year.
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

sosheezy said:

The thought is obviously that deferring for 6 months is far better than missing revenue entirely.
Yep. College athletics cannot afford to miss out football revenue. It is really that simple.
Cal84
>How are the those NFL rookie camps going this year. Oh right. They were all cancelled. If college football shifts their schedule, the NFL will make the necessary adjustments just as they are adjusting this year.

I dunno about that logic. The NFL rookie camps are cancelled, not because college football is cancelled, they are cancelled because of the threat of coronavirus infection. Should the threat of coronavirus abate by Spring (a prerequisite for college football), then I do not think a scheduling conflict with CFB will cause the NFL to alter their plans. At least not by much. For instance, the NFL is full steam ahead on its April 23 draft date this year. And so it would be next year. Even if the NFL tried to be accommodative and moved the Draft to May, it would still schedule the combine by April. Which means the incentive for NFL hopefuls to exit school and enter a combine prep program by Feb (or earlier) still exists.

None of this flat out prevents the NCAA from playing in the Spring. But it would make the results of the season more haphazard. A bit more randomized if you will. Possibly beneficial to a dark horse team like Cal? Possible indeed...
mcdbear
I always thought it would be good business for a few mid major conferences like the MAC and MWC to play their season in the spring. It would be great exposure as they would have TV to themselves.
calumnus
mcdbear said:

I always thought it would be good business for a few mid major conferences like the MAC and MWC to play their season in the spring. It would be great exposure as they would have TV to themselves.

Interesting idea, but wouldn't they miss out on playoffs, bowls, etc?
CALiforniALUM
Cal will win the Natty with a 6-0 record with wins over Stanfurd, USC, Ohio State and Alabama in the Rose Bowl.
mcdbear
With the possible exception of Boise St all mid majors have no chance of making the playoffs even being undefeated so they can have their own spring championship, It would be about TV and exposure similar to how schools like VA Tech and CSU used to play a ton of Thursday night games when those first started. I know if has no chance of happening but I like the idea of getting to watch more football.
Hail2Calif
Cal84 said:

>How are the those NFL rookie camps going this year. Oh right. They were all cancelled. If college football shifts their schedule, the NFL will make the necessary adjustments just as they are adjusting this year.

I dunno about that logic. The NFL rookie camps are cancelled, not because college football is cancelled, they are cancelled because of the threat of coronavirus infection. Should the threat of coronavirus abate by Spring (a prerequisite for college football), then I do not think a scheduling conflict with CFB will cause the NFL to alter their plans. At least not by much. For instance, the NFL is full steam ahead on its April 23 draft date this year. And so it would be next year. Even if the NFL tried to be accommodative and moved the Draft to May, it would still schedule the combine by April. Which means the incentive for NFL hopefuls to exit school and enter a combine prep program by Feb (or earlier) still exists.

None of this flat out prevents the NCAA from playing in the Spring. But it would make the results of the season more haphazard. A bit more randomized if you will. Possibly beneficial to a dark horse team like Cal? Possible indeed...

I agree. If the NCAA moves football to Spring 2021, teams with "likely" first and second round picks will be impacted most - and that's based on how they looked after 2019.

Someone like a Trevor Lawrence would have to make a pretty big decision whether to play for Clemson or just prepare for the draft.

I am not sure who on Cal's returning roster is someone most NFL teams would grade as likely/sure fire first, second, or even third round picks today. Not saying there aren't guys who could improve enough to merit that kind of consideration, but the point is that Cal's next crop of NFL players almost all still have something to prove or improve upon

So IF we played a full college season in the Spring of 2021 and the NFL made no accommodation to their schedule (I would think almost every team would want the NFL to move things back), the potential roster depletion is much more likely to hit teams like UW, UO and USC (teams who have routinely recruited much more highly regarded athletes) than Cal
UrsaMajor
Let's say there was a spring season. Would the next season begin 2 or 3 months later in August?
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

sosheezy said:

Yep. College athletics cannot afford to miss out football revenue. It is really that simple.
Football drives the bus. Period.
Cal84
CALiforniALUM said:

Cal will win the Natty with a 6-0 record with wins over Stanfurd, USC, Ohio State and Alabama in the Rose Bowl.
Can you imagine the reaction....

Clemson fan: That's a fake NC
Cal fan: Not as fake as your candidate's hair. And he lost too
USC fan: Your NC doesn't count
Cal fan: Neither does yours
etc....
Go!Bears
Cal84 said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Can you imagine the reaction....

Clemson fan: That's a fake NC
Cal fan: Not as fake as your candidate's hair. And he lost too
USC fan: Your NC doesn't count
Cal fan: Neither does yours
etc....
I think the retort might be...

It woulda been real if your team had won it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.