Booth!!!

3,203 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NYCGOBEARS
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
Wow, didn't even know he worked for the nuggets.

But did he even go to Cal?
Chapman_is_Gone
ColoradoBear said:

Many Cal fans don't remember for some reason, but Booth actually scored 20 points in the 1995-96 NCAA tournament loss.

Gotta love that tattoo.
mbBear
ColoradoBear said:

Penn State.
ducky23
mbBear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Penn State.

Cmon man
bearister
NYCGOBEARS, please lay out the history surrounding the Booth reference and its importance to this website and how many years it goes back. I know to goes back at least 15 years.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
Although I am not NYCGOBEARS, my mom grew up in NYC... plus I vividly remember the story...

Around the turn of the century, give or take, Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki and Calvin Booth were all playing for the Oakland soldiers over the summer. Even though they were about sixteen, they looked like grown ass men, so one night, at the Albany Bowl, they were served their drink of choice, a version of the Long Island Iced Tea called the Boston Market Iced Tea...

After a few of these, they made a pact that they would all go to Cal and lead the Golden Bears to a national championship, before heading off to the NBA. With that settled, they decided to solidify the commitment that very night by getting script Cal tattoos, so they headed off to Top Dog to get them. Booth, as the least heralded player, went first. After his was done, the tattoo artist heard them talking about high school and demanded to see proof that they were eighteen, but, of course, they had none, so they were kicked out.

Later, of course, King James and Nowitzki decided to jump straight to the NBA and were glad they never got the tattoo. Booth was not so NBA-ready, so he had to go to college. Without his two buddies, though, he no longer wanted to go to Cal. Ever since, when asked about his Cal tattoo, he usually just shakes his head and says, "It's a long story."

While many Bear Insiders know the story, there is one part that they invariably get wrong: When we say, "Booth!", most believe it is because of Calvin's last name, but it is actually to commemorate the booth they were all sitting in at the Albany Bowl, where the idea was hatched.
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Great news for us this may cause a reset for Cal millennials
92GoBears92
It's exactly as Big C tells it!! Well, not exactly. Umm... not even close.

The gist: about that same time frame, someone commented that basketball player Calvin Booth had a Cal tatoo. It got repeated by soooo many posters that people made fun of each other about it. The next time a bunch of posters began to repeat the same story, the person to call them out to say "it's already been posted" was said to have "Boothed" the other poster.

At least, that is how I remember it.
concordtom
Apparently posted 3 days ago.

If he's ever available for press Q&A vs Golden State, someone needs to ask him how he feels about Berkeley, maybe he'd like to become our HC some day??
91Cal
Big C said:

Although I am not NYCGOBEARS, my mom grew up in NYC... plus I vividly remember the story...

Around the turn of the century, give or take, Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki and Calvin Booth were all playing for the Oakland soldiers over the summer. Even though they were about sixteen, they looked like grown ass men, so one night, at the Albany Bowl, they were served their drink of choice, a version of the Long Island Iced Tea called the Boston Market Iced Tea...

After a few of these, they made a pact that they would all go to Cal and lead the Golden Bears to a national championship, before heading off to the NBA. With that settled, they decided to solidify the commitment that very night by getting script Cal tattoos, so they headed off to Top Dog to get them. Booth, as the least heralded player, went first. After his was done, the tattoo artist heard them talking about high school and demanded to see proof that they were eighteen, but, of course, they had none, so they were kicked out.

Later, of course, King James and Nowitzki decided to jump straight to the NBA and were glad they never got the tattoo. Booth was not so NBA-ready, so he had to go to college. Without his two buddies, though, he no longer wanted to go to Cal. Ever since, when asked about his Cal tattoo, he usually just shakes his head and says, "It's a long story."

While many Bear Insiders know the story, there is one part that they invariably get wrong: When we say, "Booth!", most believe it is because of Calvin's last name, but it is actually to commemorate the booth they were all sitting in at the Albany Bowl, where the idea was hatched.
Those who know were CyberBears, though of the .org variety...
calumnus
92GoBears92 said:

The gist: about that same time frame, someone commented that basketball player Calvin Booth had a Cal tatoo. It got repeated by soooo many posters that people made fun of each other about it. The next time a bunch of posters began to repeat the same story, the person to call them out to say "it's already been posted" was said to have "Boothed" the other poster.

And ever after, whenever someone asks a question that has already been asked or posts something that has already been posted, the response is "Booth!"
kirklandblue
I wonder if Booth has even the slightest awareness of the significance of his name on this board?
dimitrig
bearister said:

rkt88edmo
never forget cyberbears.com lololololol

I think I got almost every reference in that historical (hysterical?) re-telling of the tale.
GivemTheAxe
rkt88edmo said:

I think I got almost every reference in that historical (hysterical?) re-telling of the tale.

So who is entitled to the NIL.

Calvin Booth or the University of California Berkeley

I say The University since it has copyrighted "Cal".
rkt88edmo
GivemTheAxe said:

rkt88edmo said:

So who is entitled to the NIL.

Calvin Booth or the University of California Berkeley

I say The University since it has copyrighted "Cal".

But did they copyright the use of it in eternal regrat body art?
mbBear
calumnus said:

92GoBears92 said:

And ever after, whenever someone asks a question that has already been asked or posts something that has already been posted, the response is "Booth!"
This.
Big C

The problem with a tattoo is, what if Calvin Booth wants to rebrand himself as "Berkeley"?
NYCGOBEARS
Big C said:

The problem with a tattoo is, what if Calvin Booth wants to rebrand himself as "Berkeley"?

Use the other arm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.