Football Season Tickets Now For Sale

2,316 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Athletic Department sent out an email this morning announcing a presale for 2020 football season tickets. That's great news, but isn't it being a little optimistic? I think we will be playing football this fall, but I'd be surprised if fans will be in Memorial Stadium.
MugsVanSant
It is often said that football and television were made for each other. I agree. You can see a game much better on television. It is far more comfortable, less expensive even if you bought a ticket, the food is a lot better, you can indulge in any vice you want, you don't have to park, you don't have to drive, and you are not exposed to the cooties of the people sitting around you. I drive the 85 miles each way to Berkeley to see a dear old friend and provide a live audience.

If we do not have fans at the games perhaps a common phone line could be provided so fans watching on TV could call in and yell their comments and cheers, boos, etc into the phone and have this collective noise played over the PA system. There is no need for canned crowd noise likew the NFL is considering.
MilleniaBear
I was debating how they could seat fans for the games this fall. Social distancing rules will likely apply. To me that means we can only accomodate about 25k-30k. Coincidentally this would be the same number of season ticket and student ticket holders? Move season ticket holders from T & TT to make room for students to socially distant and then space out the rest of the season ticket holders around the stadium. Scale back vendor sales and tailgates.

They can make this work for SOME fans but no way can they accept them all. Too bad this wasn't a Holmoe year - we could have been VERY SOCIALLY DISTANT!
oskidunker
If they are going to social distance, why are they selling more tickets?
Go Bears!
Sebastabear
oskidunker said:

Exactly. To be clear, Cal has already sold more season tickets than this for this season. If they are selling more they are hoping for a non socially distanced outcome. I know I'm going regardless - if that first Dykes year couldn't drive me away then nothing can.
oskidunker
Not a chance would I go without a vaccine. Good luck..
Go Bears!
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

oskidunker said:

Exactly. To be clear, Cal has already sold more season tickets than this for this season. If they are selling more they are hoping for a non socially distanced outcome. I know I'm going regardless - if that first Dykes year couldn't drive me away then nothing can.
I would suggest they are selling more tix than they could accommodate under social distancing guidelines because a significant number of existing ticket holders will not be attending the games due to safety concerns as they relate to their own situation.

For example, some polls have shown one-third of all fans who attend sporting events regularly are not planning on going to any games until 2021 at the earliest.
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

oskidunker said:

I would suggest they are selling more tix than they could accommodate under social distancing guidelines because a significant number of existing ticket holders will not be attending the games due to safety concerns as they relate to their own situation.

For example, some polls have shown one-third of all fans who attend sporting events regularly are not planning on going to any games until 2021 at the earliest.
Yup. Everyone should decide for themselves. On why sell, I think the more nuanced answer is they don't know. They are pretty confident they will play. Whether they can play with fans without extreme social distancing guidelines is unknown. Whether current season ticket holders will give up their tickets is unknown. Heck, whether there will be fans at all is unknown.

But what is known is people are still buying season tickets today. They bought them yesterday and the day before that and all throughout SIP. I think the number of attendees might surprise you.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

oskidunker said:

Yup. Everyone should decide for themselves. On why sell, I think the more nuanced answer is they don't know. They are pretty confident they will play. Whether they can play with fans without extreme social distancing guidelines is unknown. Whether current season ticket holders will give up their tickets is unknown. Heck, whether there will be fans at all is unknown.

But what is known is people are still buying season tickets today. They bought them yesterday and the day before that and all throughout SIP. I think the number of attendees might surprise you.
A big number of attendees (at the time they are allowed to attend) would surprise me if during the season we transition from no fans to allowing fans.

However, we are in uncharted waters and no one really knows how this will play out. It will be interesting to watch the patterns of behavior in all areas of society as well as sporting event attendance.
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

oskidunker said:

A big number of attendees (at the time they are allowed to attend) would surprise me if during the season we transition from no fans to allowing fans.

However, we are in uncharted waters and no one really knows how this will play out. It will be interesting to watch the patterns of behavior in all areas of society as well as sporting event attendance.
Yeah. I think all of the focus on the SIP mandates from the government are probably misplaced. There's a huge percentage of the population who are likely to continue sheltering in place until we have a vaccine regardless of what the government says. I'm not optimistic about what that means for the restaurant industry, for example, that isn't really set up to deal with a loss like that from their customer base.

But Cal fans generally skew optimistic and hopeful (after the last 60 years they kind of have to). Will be interesting to see what the mix of a good (potentially great) Cal team with a serious public health crisis brings us.
boredom
They're proceeding under their normal schedule it seems. They did select a seat (remotely). Talked to our rep that day and was told they'll "work with you" if the season doesn't happen or happens without fans or etc. The basic options seemed to be refund or credit toward the next season. I'm sure there'll be a just let Cal keep the money as a donation option. The part that was murky was what if they play with fans but it's not really safe; that seemed to fall into a "we'll work with you to figure it out" bucket.

Cal has no reason not to sell tickets. Worst case they have to refund the money and they've gotten a free loan. Most likely they won't have to refund all of it.

Absent a vaccine there will be no way to hold games without substantial risk of spreading the virus. It's not just where everyone sits, its also all the shared areas (entry/exit, concourses, food/drink, bathrooms, etc). For those that need it, elevators are obviously a tough one. A vaccine seems unlikely by September though maybe there'll be a really good treatment by then.

I'm guessing it'll be games with no fans (or maybe students only since they're on campus together anyway). More and more Bay Area companies (tech companies) are deciding that it's a huge challenge to change a setup that's intended to squeeze in as many people as possible tightly together into a socially distant setup and not worth taking up until at least 2021. It's even more challenging with a football stadium than an office environment. I'm guessing Cal will go the same way but maybe not - company revenue doesn't depend on in person like Cal's does.
smh
boredom said:

..Absent a vaccine there will be no way to hold games without substantial risk of spreading the virus. It's not just where everyone sits..
imo having a proven vaccine is a practical gameday necessity slash full-stop.

the way we get sick -- Old(er)Blues most likely to die -- is inhaling some number of mini-droplets breathed out by a poor infected soul. on an increasing scale worse: speaking, closeup to you, loudly, or Oski-forbid yelling GOOO BEARRSSS!!

# criminal negligence || color me blue

don't even think about sitting next to a sneezy cold sufferer, as happens lots late fall day/evenings..
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
oskidunker
Young people may go as they are at lower risk.it will be interesting. Nobody I know that goes with me will risk it but we are the over 65 group.
Go Bears!
MugsVanSant
I will be 70 in a matter of weeks and have diabetes. I have been driving the 85 miles to Berkeley to be with my 78 year old friend who also has diabetes. I do this in spite of the fact that I can see the game better on TV; it is more comfortable; I can watch other games during the time I would be driving; I am far more comfortable at home; and
I can indulge in whatever vices I want at home. I am likely to go because it is safer to be outdoors than indoors, face covering is an option; people who go to games tend to self-select for being healthy; and I have been faithfully waiting for a Rose Bowl team for 61 years. I have completed my life cycle. There is no longer a biological reason for me to exist. And the only reason I have to exist is to have fun.
oskidunker
It wont be a pleasant death if you get the virus.. not the way I want to go.t. Football is that important, go for it.
Go Bears!
Northside91
MugsVanSant said:

I will be 70 in a matter of weeks and have diabetes. I have been driving the 85 miles to Berkeley to be with my 78 year old friend who also has diabetes. I do this in spite of the fact that I can see the game better on TV; it is more comfortable; I can watch other games during the time I would be driving; I am far more comfortable at home; and
I can indulge in whatever vices I want at home. I am likely to go because it is safer to be outdoors than indoors, face covering is an option; people who go to games tend to self-select for being healthy; and I have been faithfully waiting for a Rose Bowl team for 61 years. I have completed my life cycle. There is no longer a biological reason for me to exist. And the only reason I have to exist is to have fun.

Pull back the reigns a bit, sir. You're still writing in complete(ish) sentences and aren't that old. You're getting ahead of yourself with the "life cycle" talk.
Having said that, outdoor events don't seem to pose a high risk, if conducted correctly. Let's hope Cal does this intelligently, if at all.
upsetof86
All I know is that I bought my usual two sets of season tickets and will call it a donation if it doenst happen in person
oskidunker
upsetof86 said:

All I know is that I bought my usual two sets of season tickets and will call it a donation if it doenst happen in person
Good for you!
Go Bears!
MugsVanSant
As I vaguely recall, the ticket application came with a warning that the tax benefit of a donation is either reduced ot non-existent due to recent changes in the federal tax laws. Perhaps if a refund was offered and declined there might be a better tax advantage. Does anyone know?
Sebastabear
MugsVanSant said:

As I vaguely recall, the ticket application came with a warning that the tax benefit of a donation is either reduced ot non-existent due to recent changes in the federal tax laws. Perhaps if a refund was offered and declined there might be a better tax advantage. Does anyone know?
So this is NOT TAX ADVICE, but . . .

You are correct. The tax law changes from '17 removed 100% of the the deductibility of charitable donations allowing you to receive sports tickets. No tickets means the deduction would be permitted, just like any other donation to a 501(c)(3). If nothing of value is received it's all deductible.
upsetof86
Thanks Mugs and Sebasta for taking my comment literally/seriously re donation. I actually meant it figuratively, but certainly would gladly take the tax break if it were there. But my point is I am not going to ask for a refund. Win lose or draw (or virtual) that money is always earmarked for Cal football/sports.
philbert
I'll bet they'd give you extra priority points if you let them keep the money.
oskidunker
Since the tax law change most people do not have enough to itemize . So likely no help to reduce your taxes.
Go Bears!
MugsVanSant
Even if you do have enough to itemize taking the standard deduction helps avoid being noticed.
smh
# Go Bears (as safely as possible under the bear-cumstances)
ps: sometimes twitter skews frames, ie -> indoors underneath ">6 feet"
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.