Most Beloved Bears?

9,487 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
Richmondbear2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
+1 from a fellow Chieftain
ncbears
71Bear said:

FrankBear21 said:

Since 2000

DeSean Jackson

Javid Best

Zach Follett

Mike Mohamid - The interception to win the Big Game will never be forgotten
"never be forgotten"

Without looking it up, can you identify the two players involved (the passer and the player who caught his pass) in the play that won 1947 Big Game for Cal. Each year, it is mentioned as one of the most memorable single plays in the history of the rivalry.

MM's INT. will be remembered a long time but those memories will fade with time. The Play may be the only Big Game single play that stands the test of time........
Jackie Jensen was one of the involved players, I believe.
59bear
ncbears said:

71Bear said:

FrankBear21 said:

Since 2000

DeSean Jackson

Javid Best

Zach Follett

"never be forgotten"

Without looking it up, can you identify the two players involved (the passer and the player who caught his pass) in the play that won 1947 Big Game for Cal. Each year, it is mentioned as one of the most memorable single plays in the history of the rivalry.

MM's INT. will be remembered a long time but those memories will fade with time. The Play may be the only Big Game single play that stands the test of time........
Jensen to Paul Keckley IIRC.
6956bear
I have a lot of favorite on field players. But 2 guys that really stand out for me are Bobby Shaw and Jerod Cherry. I took my children to a fan fest many years back and these 2 players really were outstanding in how they interacted with my kids. Bobby Shaw threw passes to my son and was beyond friendly. He signed an actual game jersey he wore and it still sits in our home. Jerod Cherry told both my children that education was what was important and make sure to get your education and asked questions of each about what they wanted to be. My children were 11 and 7. They interacted differently than any other players I had interactions with at these fan fests over the years.

Both were really good players for Cal. Both played multiple seasons in the NFL. Shaw was a 2 time all conference WR and one of Cal's most under appreciated good players of all time. He was an excellent route runner with excellent hands. His stats at Cal 180 receptions 2731 yards and 27 TDs. Cherry was a very good DB and STs player for Cal and was an excellent ST performer for several years in the NFL. He walked the talk as well as an all academic performer at Cal.

Good players, good guys and great representatives of this great University. Definitely the OKG sort of players this staff looks for today.
smh
thanks for sharing

puzzled by OKG but google came thru with "Our Kind of Guys", right?
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
blungld
All time:
Roth
White
Pawlawski
Rivera
Taylor
Barr

Post 2000:
Best
Laird
Morris

71Bear
59bear said:

ncbears said:

71Bear said:

FrankBear21 said:

Since 2000

DeSean Jackson

Javid Best

Zach Follett

"never be forgotten"

Jensen to Paul Keckley IIRC.

Yep.
Big C
6956bear said:

I have a lot of favorite on field players. But 2 guys that really stand out for me are Bobby Shaw and Jerod Cherry. I took my children to a fan fest many years back and these 2 players really were outstanding in how they interacted with my kids. Bobby Shaw threw passes to my son and was beyond friendly. He signed an actual game jersey he wore and it still sits in our home. Jerod Cherry told both my children that education was what was important and make sure to get your education and asked questions of each about what they wanted to be. My children were 11 and 7. They interacted differently than any other players I had interactions with at these fan fests over the years.

Both were really good players for Cal. Both played multiple seasons in the NFL. Shaw was a 2 time all conference WR and one of Cal's most under appreciated good players of all time. He was an excellent route runner with excellent hands. His stats at Cal 180 receptions 2731 yards and 27 TDs. Cherry was a very good DB and STs player for Cal and was an excellent ST performer for several years in the NFL. He walked the talk as well as an all academic performer at Cal.

Good players, good guys and great representatives of this great University. Definitely the OKG sort of players this staff looks for today.

Did Bobby Shaw really run up those numbers? (not questioning it, just amazed) Put those up against Keenan Allen's career numbers, or pick another Cal receiver.

Under-appreciated is right.
dimitrig

A lot of my favorites are already listed.

One that wasn't is Sean Dawkins.

We used to call him "Money" because if he caught the ball in stride he was taking it to the bank.

Also, he was just an overall likable guy, a local, without much of the drama a guy of his ability can bring.

I think he still holds the Cal all-time and single-season records for TDs.

Another favorite is the guy who threw him a lot of those TDs: Mike Pawlawski. Troy Taylor's backup. Nothing much was expected from him but he far exceeded any expectations and helped put Cal football on the map.
6956bear
Big C said:

6956bear said:

Did Bobby Shaw really run up those numbers? (not questioning it, just amazed) Put those up against Keenan Allen's career numbers, or pick another Cal receiver.

Under-appreciated is right.
He did indeed. A very good player in the mid to late 90's.
JSC 76
dimitrig said:

We used to call him "Money" because if he caught the ball in stride he was taking it to the bank.

Also, he was just an overall likable guy, a local, without much of the drama a guy of his ability can bring.

Another favorite is the guy who threw him a lot of those TDs: Mike Pawlawski. Troy Taylor's backup. Nothing much was expected from him but he far exceeded any expectations and helped put Cal football on the map.

I still remember an interview with Pawlawski circa 1991....he says that if he comes up the line and sees that Dawkins is being covered one-on-one he gets very happy; because there is nobody in the country (except some guy at Florida State) who could cover him.
smh
catching up snip from his wikiwiwi page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Dawkins
> Early years
> Dawkins was born in Red Bank, New Jersey, but raised in Sunnyvale, California. He distinguished himself as a wide receiver at Homestead High School in Cupertino, California.

> Life after football
Dawkins pursued a career in real estate in Sacramento, California, and later trained to become a police officer in San Jose, California
92GoBears92
Je'Rod Cherry was in one of my classes my final year at Cal (1992, like my handle). He and a few other players were in an ethnic studies class taught by... Alex Saragoza. This was a few years before Ainsworth & co.
Big C
dimitrig said:

Dawkins' freshman year (true freshman), I was amazed at his ability to catch deep balls. Good speed, but what set him apart was that he made a "50/50 ball" into an 80/20 ball, as if he had been playing college football for years.

As a dynamic duo, Brian Treggs and Sean Dawkins were second only to Steve Rivera and Wesley Walker. Hey, there's two more!
juarezbear
blungld said:

All time:
Roth
White
Pawlawski
Rivera
Taylor
Barr

Post 2000:
Best
Laird
Morris

All Time (since'76 - my frosh year)
Roth
Pawlawski
Rivera
Gonzalez
Wesley Walker
Rodgers
Beast Mode
Best
Jackson
Keen (he was money)
Robertson
Hardy Nickerson
Weaver

socaliganbear
Polar.
smh
socaliganbear said:

Polar.
and a haaappy new year !
upsetof86
Joe Kapp
Mike Pawlawski
Troy Taylor
Aaron Rodgers
Chuck Muncie
Russell White
Marshawn Lynch
Jahvid Best
Todd Steussie
Doug Riesenberg
Keith Kartz
Alex Mack
Dameane Douglas
Desean Jackson
Geoff MacArthur
Keenan Allen
Tony Gonzalez

Ron Rivera
Hardy Nickerson
Evan Weaver
Cam Jordan
Andre Carter
Lo Alexander
Tyson Alualu
Deltha O'Neal
Syd'Quan Thompson
Donnie McCleskey
Doug Brien
Nick Harris

A lot more I could have added.
Fun to think back on

chalcidbear
Some of my names precede 2000, but for most well loved: I think Lunchtime is on the mark, with Vinnie Strang and Mike Tepper - both had a lot of heart. As did Scott Fujita and Mike Pawlawski.

I wouldn't put DeSean Jackson on the list - sure he was a great player, but he didn't engender a lot of fondness back in the day.

In general, I'd also think that fullbacks in general were well appreciated - spending most of their game time in unglamorous blocking duties, but every now and then busting out with big plays - Joshua White comes to my mind. Ziv Gottelieb was by no means ultra-talented, but we all loved it when he got a chance to come in as a replacement. And I liked Joe Igber for his greater desire to become an engineer than a football player.

And there are the linesmen, Alex Mack and Andre Carter were tops, and linebackers (Jerrott Willard especially). And Deltha O'Neal, who was responsible for scoring more points in the defensive backfield than our entire offense.
smh
chalcidbear said:

..fullbacks in general were well under-appreciated - spending most of their game time in unglamorous blocking duties..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tuggle

OneTopOneChickenApple
Jahvid Best
Jared Goff
Alex Mack
Beastmode

on the Basketball side:
Jorge Gutierrez
golden sloth
chalcidbear said:

Some of my names precede 2000, but for most well loved: I think Lunchtime is on the mark, with Vinnie Strang and Mike Tepper - both had a lot of heart. As did Scott Fujita and Mike Pawlawski.

I wouldn't put DeSean Jackson on the list - sure he was a great player, but he didn't engender a lot of fondness back in the day.

In general, I'd also think that fullbacks in general were well appreciated - spending most of their game time in unglamorous blocking duties, but every now and then busting out with big plays - Joshua White comes to my mind. Ziv Gottelieb was by no means ultra-talented, but we all loved it when he got a chance to come in as a replacement. And I liked Joe Igber for his greater desire to become an engineer than a football player.

And there are the linesmen, Alex Mack and Andre Carter were tops, and linebackers (Jerrott Willard especially). And Deltha O'Neal, who was responsible for scoring more points in the defensive backfield than our entire offense.

Mike Tepper's greatest moment, sort of.

71Bear
chalcidbear said:

Fullbacks - Tuggle and Manderino were easily the two best in recent memory.
OneTopOneChickenApple
71Bear said:

chalcidbear said:

Fullbacks - Tuggle and Manderino were easily the two best in recent memory.
I really liked Will Ta'ufo'ou. He was a big reason for the success of Jahvid Best, Justin Forsett, and Marshawn.
oskidunker
Alatunji Dean in the Duke victory, on the bench. Classic.
Go Bears!
bleedsbluengold1
I remember Dean throwing down a breakaway reverse dunk at Stanfurd's Maples Pavillion in garbage time and then hanging on the rim until the refs T'd him up. 'Eff the Trees!
SFCityBear
When we start talking about most beloved Cal fullbacks, let's not forget the fullbacks of Pappy's teams, some of whom were all-time Cal greats:

Jackie Jensen
Pete Schabarum
Johhny Olszewski
Jerry Drew

Some other favorites of mine along with the many who have already been mentioned here, are Billy Patton and Paul Jones.

All of these men were outstanding runners, along with being good blockers for other running backs. I liked hearing that Musgrave will be bringing back the full back position, which presumably will be a full back who can run, and will get plenty of opportunities to do so.
kelly09
SFCityBear said:

When we start talking about most beloved Cal fullbacks, let's not forget the fullbacks of Pappy's teams, some of whom were all-time Cal greats:

Jackie Jensen
Pete Schabarum
Johhny Olszewski
Jerry Drew

Some other favorites of mine along with the many who have already been mentioned here, are Billy Patton and Paul Jones.

All of these men were outstanding runners, along with being good blockers for other running backs. I liked hearing that Musgrave will be bringing back the full back position, which presumably will be a full back who can run, and will get plenty of opportunities to do so.
Jim Monachino, Don Johnson but most of all, Paul Lason.
smh
> Jim Monachino, Don Johnson but most of all, Paul Lason

hmmm, is that your final answer K9?

(sorry for the snark. sooner or later spelling bites us all, right in the k-ickers)
travelingbears
Jaylen Brown... truly a role model for many bears!
kelly09
smh said:

> Jim Monachino, Don Johnson but most of all, Paul Lason

hmmm, is that your final answer K9?

(sorry for the snark. sooner or later spelling bites us all, right in the k-ickers)
Actually arthritic fingers that make so many typos.
Paul Larson!
RichyBear
Pre 2000 :

Ed White
Joe Kapp
Joe Roth
Ken Wiedeman
Chuck Muncie
Craig Morton
Steve Bartkowski
Mike McCaffrey
Steve Sweeney
Steve Rivera
Wesley Walker
Andre Carter
kelly09
RichyBear said:

Pre 2000 :

Ed White
Joe Kapp
Joe Roth
Ken Wiedeman
Chuck Muncie
Craig Morton
Steve Bartkowski
Mike McCaffrey
Steve Sweeney
Steve Rivera
Wesley Walker
Andre Carter
And post 1960 though I can't imagine no Ron Rivera. Well, Kapp was 56-59.
OzoneTheCat
One of my most beloved Bears not yet mentioned. No love for Steve Levy? His game against the Furd forever endeared him to me forever. Now I'm getting all teared up....Tito...get me a tissue.
SFCityBear
OzoneTheCat said:

One of my most beloved Bears not yet mentioned. No love for Steve Levy? His game against the Furd forever endeared him to me forever. Now I'm getting all teared up....Tito...get me a tissue.
Not to mention the Holiday Bowls. Did the guy ever have a bad game? I don't think so.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.