Aaron Rodgers no longer a top 10 qb

4,680 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AunBear89
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I've been saying this for the past 4 years but it looks like the lame stream media is finally catching up. To be honest I've felt that he's been a Top 15 QB the past 4 years so I suppose that's sortof close to the Top 10.

Ranking top 10 QBs for 2020 NFL season: Aaron Rodgers misses cut, Matthew Stafford poised for career year
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-qbs-for-2020-nfl-season-aaron-rodgers-barely-misses-cut-matthew-stafford-poised-for/
CALiforniALUM
It's a team sport and Rodgers hasn't had much to work with compared to some of his peers who do make the list. Frankly he would do better to leave GB and find a team that is actually competitive on the OL, at WR and at RB.
okaydo
According to OKA, who's been ranking QBs for years unlike that nobody at CBS Sports, Rodgers is the 5th best QB going into next season.

Once again, hanky1 is proven wrong.
71Bear
okaydo said:

According to OKA, who's been ranking QBs for years unlike that nobody at CBS Sports, Rodgers is the 5th best QB going into next season.

Once again, hanky1 is proven wrong.
Of course, had the SF D stopped Mahomes in the 4th Q, Jimmy G. would have been the MVP and listed in the Top 10. OTOH, maybe that is why Patrick M. is #1.

Note: I am not suggesting JG should be listed among the elite, I just find it kinda funny that he would have been credited for work the D accomplished. In other words, these lists are incredibly subjective.....

P.S. In my opinion, yes, Rodgers is still a Top 5 QB.
calumnus
CALiforniALUM said:

It's a team sport and Rodgers hasn't had much to work with compared to some of his peers who do make the list. Frankly he would do better to leave GB and find a team that is actually competitive on the OL, at WR and at RB.

Agree with this 100%. Rodgers should have left Green Bay a long time ago. It is a shame he didn't start until his 4th year in the league. As you said, Passing Rating is largely influenced by your line and WRs but here are Rogers' rankings since he became the starter in 2008:
2008 #6
2009 #4
2010 #3
2011 #1
2012 #1
2013 #5
2014 #2
2015 #15
2016 #4
2017 #8 (7 games)
2018 #13
2019 #12

So yes, he appears to have fallen off to a merely better than average NFL QB the couple of years since getting injured, but a lot of that is the team he plays on. Until they picked Jordan Love to replace Rodgers this year, the last time GB used their first round pick on an offensive skill player was when they picked Rodgers. And it is not like they went after big free agents or trades. They ignored Rodgers lobbying for GB to trade for Marshawn and Desean when their original teams were down on them and either would have added a few more rings for Rodgers (replacing the National Championship those three would have won at Cal in 2005).
BearGoggles
Patrick Mahomes is no longer a top 10 qb. While I might be wrong for the next 8-10 years, if I repeat this every year: (i) eventually I'll be right; and (ii) I'll be able to point to this post and point out that I called it way before anyone else.

See how smart I am?
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

Patrick Mahomes is no longer a top 10 qb. While I might be wrong for the next 8-10 years, if I repeat this every year: (i) eventually I'll be right; and (ii) I'll be able to point to this post and point out that I called it way before anyone else.

See how smart I am?

Lol
hanky1
BearGoggles said:

See how smart I am?
The only problem is Rodgers was a mediocre qb 4 years ago and it was obvious but for whatever reason no one said so except hanky1, The Defender of Truth.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong recently drove to Gosford (NSW) to work out with New Zealand Warriors rugby team. The Warriors based on Central Coast of Australia this season due to Covid. They having weak season, as they living in a hotel in a different country. Cal Strong went to cheer them up and encourage them towards individual and team strength.

Cal Strong squatted with Warriors, but he no in the top 10 either. So Cal Strong know how Aaron Rodgers feel.
mbBear
hanky1 said:

Well I've been saying this for the past 4 years but it looks like the lame stream media is finally catching up. To be honest I've felt that he's been a Top 15 QB the past 4 years so I suppose that's sortof close to the Top 10.

Ranking top 10 QBs for 2020 NFL season: Aaron Rodgers misses cut, Matthew Stafford poised for career year
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-qbs-for-2020-nfl-season-aaron-rodgers-barely-misses-cut-matthew-stafford-poised-for/
We can live without the term "lame stream media," because some of us believe in the first Amendment, and have been saying it for more than 4 years....
okaydo
NBC Sports lists Rodgers as No. 3.

calumnus
hanky1 said:

BearGoggles said:

See how smart I am?
The only problem is Rodgers was a mediocre qb 4 years ago and it was obvious but for whatever reason no one said so except hanky1, The Defender of Truth.

4 years ago Rodgers had the 4th best passing rating with a weaker supporting cast than the other top QBs.
79 Bear
Who here would take Carson Wentz (#8 on the list) or Dak Prescott (#5) over AR?
mbBear
79 Bear said:

I think its more shocking that there is collective reaction to Chris Simms.
philbert
79 Bear said:

I would love to see AR play in the Cowboys offense with the weapons that Prescott has.
okaydo
71Bear
okaydo said:

Arm talent - Let's see...

Jim Druckenmiller, Kyle Boller and Jeff George would have been on that list during their time in the NFL.

Big C

Jeff George was the classic example of arm talent and the best example of arm talent only being one component of what makes for a good quarterback.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong recently drove to Gosford (NSW) to work out with New Zealand Warriors rugby team. The Warriors based on Central Coast of Australia this season due to Covid. They having weak season, as they living in a hotel in a different country. Cal Strong went to cheer them up and encourage them towards individual and team strength.

Cal Strong squatted with Warriors, but he no in the top 10 either. So Cal Strong know how Aaron Rodgers feel.
Strong news: Cal Strong work out again with New Zealand Warriors. This time, his right hamstring feel much stronger. It a bit tight the first time.

This time, Cal Strong squat seventh. Maybe next time he go even higher.

Cal Strong hope this motivate Aaron Rodgers. You can do it, Aaron! Follow Cal Strong's example and get stronger! Prove the critics WEAK!!!

Cal STRONG!!!!!!!!
71Bear
Big C said:

Jeff George was the classic example of arm talent and the best example of arm talent only being one component of what makes for a good quarterback.
A million dollar arm and a ten cent brain. One of the best descriptions I have ever read regarding a guy who could throw but not think........
okaydo
hanky1 said:

Sean Wagner-McGough is out at CBS Sports after failing to rank Rodgers in the Top 10.

okaydo
hanky1 said:

BearPatrol
That's just blatantly wrong...
okaydo
BearPatrol said:

And cheap.
https://www.packersproshop.com/green-bay-packers-new-arrivals/12-carved-stumpy-eekeez-playe
BearPatrol
okaydo said:

BearPatrol said:

And cheap.
https://www.packersproshop.com/green-bay-packers-new-arrivals/12-carved-stumpy-eekeez-playe

LOL, i meant him bot being top 10, but this too
philbert
MB is too nice to post in this thread:
hanky1
https://apple.news/A2CUvOAYqSc2SqIEufgYOaw
okaydo
hanky1 said:

My 27-inch iMac has me stuck on this page. But thanks. I'm assuming it's something positive about Aaron.

hanky1
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

My 27-inch iMac has me stuck on this page. But thanks. I'm assuming it's something positive about Aaron.

It says his Madden rating is below 90. Basically he's rated as crappy by Madden.
bearister
okaydo said:

I'm pretty sure that is the form they use to create the wax figure of AR for that wax museum in China.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
philbert
From the Athletic today rating NFL QBs: #3 overall

Fifty NFL coaches and evaluators rated 35 veteran quarterbacks this year while providing candid evaluations that appear in the analysis below. The process was simple. Coaches and evaluators placed each quarterback in one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Once ballots were collected, results were averaged to create a ranking. Our unanimous Tier 1 choices averaged 1.00, while the lowest-rated player averaged 4.30. Quarterbacks fell into the tiers in which they received the most votes.

Tier 1 votes: 46 | Tier 2 votes: 4 | 2019 Tier: 1
Voters blamed Rodgers' supporting cast, not the quarterback himself, for the Packers' offensive regression over the past five seasons. But for the first time in the seven-year history of this survey, Rodgers did not at least tie for the top spot. Four voters placed him in the second tier, twice as many as last year.
"I know some people don't like him because of whatever, but all I know is, if you picked five quarterbacks you don't want to play every week, he is one of them," a defensive coach with NFC North experience said. "I don't want to **** with that guy. You can say what you want, but when you go into a game, that is the first guy you are preparing for. It ain't the running back, it ain't the receiver because he has free-agent running backs and third-round receivers, fourth-round receivers, just dudes, no tight end. You are worried about that dude."
None of the four voters who placed Rodgers in the second tier would have to draw up a game plan to defend him. The quartet included two contract negotiators and two young offensive assistant coaches.
"He has clearly lost something in his game," one of them said. "He still has 'wow' moments and games, but is not the same guy he was the last 10 years."
There has been statistical decline. The 2010-2014 Packers outpaced the 2015-2019 version in offensive points per game (27.8 to 23.7), offensive expected points added per game (10.0 to 3.2), EPA per pass attempt (0.38 to 0.16) and EPA per play (0.16 to 0.05) when Rodgers was in the lineup, according to models developed by Albert Larcada, senior director for TruMedia Networks.
"I have faced him so many times and he is the same guy," a different defensive coach with NFC North experience said. "The weapons around him have really fallen off. Before, they had a mix of young and veteran guys who understood the system. When they lost Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, what they tried to do is patch it. Davante Adams is a good receiver, but to me, I would not say he is a No. 1. They tried to plug in Jimmy Graham, a stopgap."
There was some thought Rodgers' production could spike in his second season running coach Matt LaFleur's offense if the quarterback has bought in fully. That was the case for Matt Ryan in a similar system under Kyle Shanahan with the Falcons in 2016. Of course, LaFleur is not Shanahan and there is no Julio Jones in Green Bay, but LaFleur was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach under Shanahan that season, at least.
"I just think in the right offensive situation for him, Rodgers would kill it," a former head coach said. "He still does. He still makes plays and throws that are unbelievable and can extend the play. It is hard to find guys like that. Adams is the one guy he plays well with, but I don't see that feel with other guys and I don't think Rodgers necessarily has the discipline of going through those progressions. He drops back and has to find guys and when he does that, a lot of times he has to make a snap throw and some of those throws that he makes are incredible, but if he was dialed into what was going on and where he was trying to attack and throwing it, I think he would be even better."

AunBear89
philbert said:

From the Athletic today rating NFL QBs: #3 overall

Fifty NFL coaches and evaluators rated 35 veteran quarterbacks this year while providing candid evaluations that appear in the analysis below. The process was simple. Coaches and evaluators placed each quarterback in one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Once ballots were collected, results were averaged to create a ranking. Our unanimous Tier 1 choices averaged 1.00, while the lowest-rated player averaged 4.30. Quarterbacks fell into the tiers in which they received the most votes.

Tier 1 votes: 46 | Tier 2 votes: 4 | 2019 Tier: 1
Voters blamed Rodgers' supporting cast, not the quarterback himself, for the Packers' offensive regression over the past five seasons. But for the first time in the seven-year history of this survey, Rodgers did not at least tie for the top spot. Four voters placed him in the second tier, twice as many as last year.
"I know some people don't like him because of whatever, but all I know is, if you picked five quarterbacks you don't want to play every week, he is one of them," a defensive coach with NFC North experience said. "I don't want to **** with that guy. You can say what you want, but when you go into a game, that is the first guy you are preparing for. It ain't the running back, it ain't the receiver because he has free-agent running backs and third-round receivers, fourth-round receivers, just dudes, no tight end. You are worried about that dude."
None of the four voters who placed Rodgers in the second tier would have to draw up a game plan to defend him. The quartet included two contract negotiators and two young offensive assistant coaches.
"He has clearly lost something in his game," one of them said. "He still has 'wow' moments and games, but is not the same guy he was the last 10 years."
There has been statistical decline. The 2010-2014 Packers outpaced the 2015-2019 version in offensive points per game (27.8 to 23.7), offensive expected points added per game (10.0 to 3.2), EPA per pass attempt (0.38 to 0.16) and EPA per play (0.16 to 0.05) when Rodgers was in the lineup, according to models developed by Albert Larcada, senior director for TruMedia Networks.
"I have faced him so many times and he is the same guy," a different defensive coach with NFC North experience said. "The weapons around him have really fallen off. Before, they had a mix of young and veteran guys who understood the system. When they lost Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, what they tried to do is patch it. Davante Adams is a good receiver, but to me, I would not say he is a No. 1. They tried to plug in Jimmy Graham, a stopgap."
There was some thought Rodgers' production could spike in his second season running coach Matt LaFleur's offense if the quarterback has bought in fully. That was the case for Matt Ryan in a similar system under Kyle Shanahan with the Falcons in 2016. Of course, LaFleur is not Shanahan and there is no Julio Jones in Green Bay, but LaFleur was the Falcons' quarterbacks coach under Shanahan that season, at least.
"I just think in the right offensive situation for him, Rodgers would kill it," a former head coach said. "He still does. He still makes plays and throws that are unbelievable and can extend the play. It is hard to find guys like that. Adams is the one guy he plays well with, but I don't see that feel with other guys and I don't think Rodgers necessarily has the discipline of going through those progressions. He drops back and has to find guys and when he does that, a lot of times he has to make a snap throw and some of those throws that he makes are incredible, but if he was dialed into what was going on and where he was trying to attack and throwing it, I think he would be even better."

What do those dumb NFL guys know? Janky1 is the real expert. He knows everything. Just ask him.

Bless his cold, tiny heart.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.