New CB picks in for 4* WR

4,357 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NYCGOBEARS
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J Michael Sturdivant, 4* WR out of Marcus HS in Flower Mound, Texas is committing on Saturday and has crystal ball picks rolling in for California.

He's rated 92 overall by 24/7 as the 179th best player in the country, the 27th ranked WR, and the 30th ranked player in Texas for the class of '21

24/7 Composite rankings rates him as .9238 overall, the 184th ranked player in the country, 34th rated WR, and the 30th best player in Texas.

Big news to watch for this week, he's a top receiver with 34 offers across the country and his other 3 finalists are Oklahoma, UC Los Angeles, and the defending national champs: LSU

Big C

Guy by the name of J Michael Sturdivant, eh? That'd be awesome! Fingers crossed...
m2bear
Bearly Clad said:

Big news to watch for this week, he's a top receiver with 34 offers across the country and his other 3 finalists are Oklahoma, UC Los Angeles, and the defending national champs: LSU

This is a Cal board... not ucla board.

Why should we care?
Bearly Clad
m2bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Why should we care?
Check the link:

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/JMichael-Sturdivant-at-Marcus-233573/CurrentExpertPredictions/
golden sloth
m2bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Why should we care?

He has 4 finalists, there is Cal, and the other 3 are ucla, LSU, and oklahoma.
KoreAmBear
Bearly Clad said:

m2bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Why should we care?
Check the link:

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/JMichael-Sturdivant-at-Marcus-233573/CurrentExpertPredictions/

Sounds like a reading comp fail. He would be a huge pickup; hope we seal the deal.
m2bear
my bad. this would be great.
Radical Bear
Dam, we got some weapons. Crossing my fingers and toes that he commits and sticks.
Cal84
This is what happens when you go from 5 wins to 7 to 8. Imagine what recruiting will be like if we win 9 games this season. Just cross your fingers that we get a season.
Blueblood
Cal84 said:

This is what happens when you go from 5 wins to 7 to 8. Imagine what recruiting will be like if we win 9 games this season. Just cross your fingers that we get a season.
....and Cal has essentially new lockerrooms and showers, too! "The hell with LSU, I'm going to Cal!"
burritos
Bearly Clad said:

m2bear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Why should we care?
Check the link:

WTH? 100%?
calgldnbear
Great pickup if it happens (never count your chickens ....)

Anyone else confused? He is a WR but the CB part messed me up
Bearly Clad
Yea, that's my bad. The other site calls their staff prediction database their 'crystal ball' system and I was just being too lazy to type it out
KoreAmBear
Cal84 said:

That's why Beau Baldwin really set our recruiting back in 2018. We wound up 7-6 because of his bad decisions. Our D was better than in 2019. The offense just needed to be managed not forced. There were at least 3 wins we likely gave up because of his stubborn ways (Arizona, Wazzu and TCU). A couple of other games he insisted on going McIlwain 100% when the dual QB thing was working fine through BYU. That was just dumb. We should have been 10-3 or 9-4 and the recruits would have rolled in last year. Glad that Wilcox is building even off minor bowl seasons and now Musgrave provides some excitement to the offense. To be fair I thought Beau did a solid job overall in 2019 considering Garbers' injury and Modster not being the answer as I had hoped he would be better.
heartofthebear
Thanks for the news.
Huffman and Biggins have their confidence level at 8 rather than the 7 listed overall.
Averaging the 4 lead prognostications, they are closer to 8 than 7. Based on what I see, I would be surprised if he goes anywhere else, especially this close to his commitment date. So this is really great news. Cal doesn't usually beat out both LSU and Oklahoma but I suspect he is talented enough to play right away for Cal, whereas he may have had to redshirt at the other 2 schools.
burritos

2 minute mark the guy says it's hard to make an argument for Cal.
golden sloth
burritos said:

2 minute mark the guy says it's hard to make an argument for Cal.

So why give him the hits? I'd prefer to not help him financially.
71Bear
KoreAmBear said:

Cal84 said:

That's why Beau Baldwin really set our recruiting back in 2018. We wound up 7-6 because of his bad decisions. Our D was better than in 2019. The offense just needed to be managed not forced. There were at least 3 wins we likely gave up because of his stubborn ways (Arizona, Wazzu and TCU). A couple of other games he insisted on going McIlwain 100% when the dual QB thing was working fine through BYU. That was just dumb. We should have been 10-3 or 9-4 and the recruits would have rolled in last year. Glad that Wilcox is building even off minor bowl seasons and now Musgrave provides some excitement to the offense. To be fair I thought Beau did a solid job overall in 2019 considering Garbers' injury and Modster not being the answer as I had hoped he would be better.
Was Baldwin the Head Coach that year? I think I must have missed something......
Bearly Clad
2 minute mark the guy is flat-out wrong. If the experts are right then JMike would be the 3rd offensive recruit to pick us over LSU in the past two cycles (Rogers, Terry, Sturdivant), and all three from different states
calumnus
71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Cal84 said:

Was Baldwin the Head Coach that year? I think I must have missed something......

Cal offense ranking:
2015 #8
2016 #10
2017 #90
2018 #115
2019 #117

Cal offense yards per play ranking
2015 #6
2016 #56
2017 #101
2018 #120
2019 #110

I really don't think the horrific offenses of the last three years can be blamed on any of 8 QBs that have taken snaps in that time. We have had several QBs that were serviceable and I said from his first game that Garbers was a good college QB and at least as good as someone like Matt Leinert if in the right system with better talent. The biggest issue in the last three years IMO has been: 1) the OC (scheme, playcalling, talent recruiting, talent utilization, and talent development) and 2) WR with TE and OL depth getting serious consideration.

We have finally replaced the OC and by the end of 2019 it became clear we have three very good WRs going into 2020.

Our returning experienced "TEs" Tonges (6'5" 230) and Reinwald (6'3" 235) are both "inside receivers" in a spread system (like Baldwin ran). I am intrigued by the moving of Udeogu (6'4" 275) to TE as I think that his size will help the running game and hopefully that gives us an idea of Musgrave's thinking.
KoreAmBear
71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Cal84 said:

Wilcox definitely allowed it to happen but the actual guy doing the damage was Baldwin. Just like JT had to say enough was enough with Ayoob, Wilcox finally said the same with Baldwin. Wilcox' flaw is kind of excusable he is super loyal and sentimental to a fault. Baldwin's flaw is that he's a terrible OC. Perhaps he's a better HC like he was at Eastern Washington. I wish him well at Cal Poly SLO.
bonsallbear
So, will he or won't he commit to Cal tomorrow?
Shine pumpers versus nega bears.
I'm pumping sunshine. What do you say?

NYCGOBEARS
He's a Golden Bear. Texas is Bear Territory. #TexaBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.